ADVERTISEMENT

Should Nick McDevitt have been fired after Six Years of 37% Performance vs D1?

Should Nick McDevitt have been fired after Six Years of 37% Performance vs D1?

• Total voters
Has anyone tried to secure an interview with Messaro and just flat out asked what is the remaining contract, when was it signed and what metrics require his continued retention based on subpar results? Seems pretty easy to directly ask him in an interview, email, phone call, etc.
A few thoughts / speculations

1) Massaro has always been hesitant to fire guys. There were folks who wanted to fire CKD in the late 2000s and Massaro held on. It paid off. Maybe Massaro is hoping it happens again. (but I'm not sure CKD vs McD is an apples to apples comparison, but I digress)

2) It's a nearly impossible answer for Massaro to answer candidly & honestly. He can't say "I wanted to fire him, but McPhee wouldn't let me." He can't say "I'm ticked. I hate it. And if he doesn't get to 20 wins, he's gone..."

The situation is ... puzzling. He staid at the Stock press conference that Championships are the expectation & MT MBB is nowhere near competing for a conference championship. So what's the disconnect?

And I'm not sure Massaro can honestly answer that question without back himself into a corner.

Reactions: ewglenn
I just want to know how he can justify NM making at least 250-300k more than CRI when he can't even draw as much as the girls team much less win like they do. His salary should reflect that lack of success and give the difference to WBB where we know it will be put to good use

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue

1) Massaro has always been hesitant to fire guys. There were folks who wanted to fire CKD in the late 2000s and Massaro held on. It paid off. Maybe Massaro is hoping it happens again. (but I'm not sure CKD vs McD is an apples to apples comparison, but I digress)

2) It's a nearly impossible answer for Massaro to answer candidly & honestly. He can't say "I wanted to fire him, but McPhee wouldn't let me." He can't say "I'm ticked. I hate it. And if he doesn't get to 20 wins, he's gone..."

The situation is ... puzzling. He staid at the Stock press conference that Championships are the expectation & MT MBB is nowhere near competing for a conference championship. So what's the disconnect?

And I'm not sure Massaro can honestly answer that question without back himself into a corner.
didn't Kermit hire Greg and all of sudden, we started having success? He has to find some hard nose PG, and 2 SG that can get there shot. He needs another 4 that can play and hit a jump shot. He has to get older. I would be looking at kids from low majors that can ball and probably some top guys from D2 that can flat out fill it up. You can't win with young trams anymore playing against grown men

This exactly is what I've been saying.

Say CM says championshipship or bust. Well what if we win 25 games and lose on a last second buzzer in the conference champ game. We then go NIT and make the final four. To most that would be worthy of staying another year or even a 2yr extension, especially if he wasn't extended already.
Or what if he says must win 20 games. Well, what if we have 17 or 18 in reg season but go on a run in the tourney and lose the champ game with 21 wins. Will that count? Or is it 20 reg season wins?

But what if it isn't exactly what CM said, and then there is another loss of trust etc etc.

What CAN be asked to CM is if he feels things have changed now and if quicker success can be found in the portal. If he views losing a coach to another school as a good thing. If there will be any changes on McD's staff, etc. And he can and should be asked when the current contract expires. No need to discuss it more. Just a simple answer. But he can't PUBLICLY lay out an ultimatum as it is just asking for trouble later. Wren Baker when looking for WVU coach said the B12 is a defensive league and that will be important in a coach. What does CM view CUSA as and has the league changed since McD was hired and the conferences was revamped? Things like that, that don't point a specific finger at McD and the program's current shortcomings.

Massaro will have little to nothing to say beyond the horse crap statement he put out there already. McDevitt's record and results are indefensible. It's not even polishing a turd at this point. McDevitt is an established loser and doesn't have the chops to win at this level. The sooner this administration realizes that, the better (good luck....)

Going forward, we have all of nothing to look forward to. The only skilled All-CUSA guy we had entered the portal on the 2nd day it opened. Next year's team will be even worse than this one with him gone. Cam Weston is not even close to the answer and the fact that Massaro brought him up in his statement is crazy. Weston is massively overrated because of his "potential" and athleticism that never has manifested itself....the team was bad with him before the injury and it'll be the same after it, assuming he can even stay healthy. Without even looking at stats I guarantee JP had Weston beat in every meaningful statistical category.

Sometimes things have to get worse before they get better. Especially with dumb people. It can be really hard, and painful, for them to see the light. It's quite unfortunate we all have to suffer through it because of their lack of insight and courage to do the right thing. I'd say shame on them, but we all know they have no shame left at this point.

Reactions: subkyle and MTTim
Assuming Nick’s contract wasn’t extended after we got a hold of it like a month ago, I can kind of understand not firing him. The buyout isn’t much but we’d be buying out the entire staff. If he is returning everyone we think he is then it’s not a major disadvantage in recruiting because he is going to be going after a lot of 1 year guys. My concern with that mentality is what happens if they win big this year with a very unbalanced roster (and he didn’t get scooped up by someone else)? We’d be in a complete rebuild the following year. It would be a bad look to fire him and we would be in rough shape the following year.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
Assuming Nick’s contract wasn’t extended after we got a hold of it like a month ago, I can kind of understand not firing him. The buyout isn’t much but we’d be buying out the entire staff. If he is returning everyone we think he is then it’s not a major disadvantage in recruiting because he is going to be going after a lot of 1 year guys. My concern with that mentality is what happens if they win big this year with a very unbalanced roster (and he didn’t get scooped up by someone else)? We’d be in a complete rebuild the following year. It would be a bad look to fire him and we would be in rough shape the following year.
You've nothing to worry about. Nick is a poor recruiter and mediocre coach. This team isn't winning anything next year.

Reactions: BlueraiderSC
You've nothing to worry about. Nick is a poor recruiter and mediocre coach. This team isn't winning anything next year.

Shoot, CNM got that glowing vote of confidence and immediately I see our first mention this offseason in a PortalUpdates tweet for contact a transfer. Must be part of the plan Massaro mentioned.**

We are one of 12 schools listed that have contacted ULM transfer (looking for 4th school) Nika Metskhvarishvili. Seriously, this is the first transfer I have seen mention us this offseason.

The Nika guy is actually pretty good. I caught a ULM game earlier this season I had money on and he can play. He would definitely be good for us but I am just so disillusioned at this point when it comes to McDevitt that it's hard for me to not be over-the-top negative.

I am mentally checked out as a whole with college athletics. I've watched like 15 minutes total of the NCAA tournament this year which would have been unthinkable for me just a few years ago. Just not interested anymore.

I guess I've reached my breaking point when it comes to the chips being stacked against schools like us. They obviously always have been, but pay for play and free unlimited transfers was the nail in the coffin for me. I have no interest in watching the G5 become glorified JUCO's and all the best players just going to the highest bidder. Honestly don't know how anyone else can enjoy it anymore either. It's quickly become a no parity, highest bidder competition. ZzZZzzzzZZzzZZZ

In the meantime Chris Mack just accepted the available head coaching position at College of Charleston. Former Xavier & Louisville coach has been to NCAA tournament in 9 of 13 years as head coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT