ADVERTISEMENT

Seed?

sWiley

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2012
Any ideas on what our region and seed will be?

Lunardi has us as an 11 playing Iowa State.

holy mother of god I hope he is wrong. Iowa State is playing like a top 10 team right now and is literally my dark horse to win the national title. Please, no.

The only thing I will guess is that we will be disappointed with the seed. Just watch. It'll be worse than Vandy's seed.

The only thing I will guess is that we will be disappointed with the seed. Just watch. It'll be worse than Vandy's seed.

Lunardi moved Vandy up to a 10 and dropped us to an 12.
SBNation has us both as an 11 seed
Palm (CBS) has us as an 11 and Vandy as a 12.

Only thing I care about is the match up. I want a team that's playing cold right now that backed their way in because of a good first half of the season. Like a Wisconsin. I do NOT want to play Iowa State.

10 or 11. I can't see the selection committee giving a higher seed to a mid-major team that it would rather not have in it's tournament. 12 seeds are probably AQs.

I really feel like it'll be a 10 or 11. MAYBE a 9. I'm OK with all the opponents in that area except for Iowa State. Thats a team NOBODY wants to play right now. Michigan & Minnesota would be very very tough, but do-able I think. We wouldn't beat Iowa State unless they had a monumental off night shooting.

I would bloody LOVE to get matched up with Wisconsin. That would be a very tight line in Vegas and I would EXPECT a Blue Raider victory there. Wisconsin blows ass lately.

I would bloody LOVE to get matched up with Wisconsin. That would be a very tight line in Vegas and I would EXPECT a Blue Raider victory there. Wisconsin blows ass lately.

I agree 100%. The NCAA would smile on us if they matched us up in an 11/6 against either Wisconsin or Michigan. Especially if the 3 seed is an 8-10 loss major program. Knowing the NCAA, we will get a "neutral" site game against St. Mary's in Sacramento or Florida in Orlando.

I really feel like it'll be a 10 or 11. MAYBE a 9. I'm OK with all the opponents in that area except for Iowa State. Thats a team NOBODY wants to play right now. Michigan & Minnesota would be very very tough, but do-able I think. We wouldn't beat Iowa State unless they had a monumental off night shooting.

Wisconsin is playing in the Big 10 title game today. They must not be playing too bad

Any ideas on what our region and seed will be?

Lunardi has us as an 11 playing Iowa State.

holy mother of god I hope he is wrong. Iowa State is playing like a top 10 team right now and is literally my dark horse to win the national title. Please, no.
I bet Iowa State moves up more after winning the Big 12

Wisconsin is playing in the Big 10 title game today. They must not be playing too bad

Look who they beat to get there though. Northwestern & Indiana, whoopity doo. Wisconsin is just 5-5 over their last 10 games against some pretty mediocre Big Ten teams. Fully expecting Michigan to smoke them today

I agree 100%. The NCAA would smile on us if they matched us up in an 11/6 against either Wisconsin or Michigan. Especially if the 3 seed is an 8-10 loss major program. Knowing the NCAA, we will get a "neutral" site game against St. Mary's in Sacramento or Florida in Orlando.

Yeah. Really though, we deserve a 10 seed IMO. And with a 10 seed we could match up well against a team like Maryland or South Carolina.

Don't want to play Iowa State, SMU, Cincinatti, Oklahoma State, or St. Mary's in the first round though (Look for all of these teams to at least win their 1st round game)

Lunardi seems obsessed with us playing Iowa State. He had us playing Iowa State in a 6-11 match up last night, then today it changed to a 5-12 match up in a completely different region.

He better not have some sort of inside info on the committee being hell bent on making us face Iowa State (one of the hottest teams in the country) to try and screw us.

I expect us to be in Indianapolis or Milwaukee as an 11 seed. If we are in Sacramento as an 11, it means we are probably stuck playing St. Mary's in essentially a home game for them.

If we are in Greenville, that means we got a 9 or 10 seed (which means we got a lot more respect than expected) in UNC or Duke's 4 team pod.

I agree, I think we should be a 10, but NCAA could reasonablly justify us as a 9, 10, or 11.

I do wonder, last year most people had us as an 13 in their projections and we were a 15. I am afraid we may get the NCAA hose-job again and end up a 13 playing 4 Florida in Orlando or 4 Purdue in Indianapolis. You know, a fair, "neutral" site game.

Well last year's seeding was mostly due to a lazy ass selection committee. The best and most beleivable argument made was that after uab lost as the #1 seed their first game in the tourney that the committee went ahead at that point and predetermined that the cusa champ, no matter who it was, would be a 15 seed. When MT won, they did not bother reconsidering the seeding. It'll be interesting to see what they do this year.

I think 10 is the best we can hope for. I wouldn't be shocked if they drop us to a 12 though.

And the First NCAA screw job goes against Marquette. They have to play South Carolina in Greenville, South Carolina.

Seriously - how does a #7 seed get that sweetheart deal?

Seeded below the first four teams means we would have been left out if we hadn't won the tournament. The selection committee continues to have no shame.

Have seen several analysts this eveing pick MT to get to the sweet sixteen. One pointed out MT is the trendy underdog pick who may not be an underdog. Minnesota may get their fill of this crap and be ready to come out and pound on the Raiders.

Dick Vitale giving whole lot of love to Middle Tennessee on espn

I'm convinced Conference USA got severely punished this year. MT was the lowest #12 seed, despite 30 wins and 4 losses, a #25 ranking in Coaches, #48 overall of 68. Arguably our best team in history and definitely best record...no respect?!? The more I learn, the less I like our draw and the metrics process. Indeed, sure glad we won against Marshall last night!!

Also, noticed there is no C-USA team participating in NIT. Not even La Tech at 23 wins. A 23 win season without an NIT bid? What is the meaning of this should a future Blue Raider get upset in semis or Championship game with somewhere north of 20 wins? Allow this sad fact sink in---the OVC got more teams in postseason participation than C-USA in 2017, despite glowing attention from Dick V and others.

Mick Cronin is even more right about tournaments in general...it's not about selecting the best teams and rewarding solid performance for players and coaches. It about media and selling tickets. The tournament publicity intangible makes a difference in freshman enrollments, alumni giving, and view of the overall university in reputation.

Think a Sweet 16 appearance by MT is in order to restore conference quality and reputation. C-USA used to be a 2-3 NCAA bid conference consistently, but now cannot even muster sufficient NIT bids, should one need them...much less at large or a top 8 seed.

Reactions: subkyle
I'm convinced Conference USA got severely punished this year. MT was the lowest #12 seed, despite 30 wins and 4 losses, a #25 ranking in Coaches, #48 overall of 68. Arguably our best team in history and definitely best record...no respect?!? The more I learn, the less I like our draw and the metrics process. Indeed, sure glad we won against Marshall last night!!

Also, noticed there is no C-USA team participating in NIT. Not even La Tech at 23 wins. A 23 win season without an NIT bid? What is the meaning of this should a future Blue Raider get upset in semis or Championship game with somewhere north of 20 wins? Allow this sad fact sink in---the OVC got more teams in postseason participation than C-USA in 2017, despite glowing attention from Dick V and others.

Mick Cronin is even more right about tournaments in general...it's not about selecting the best teams and rewarding solid performance for players and coaches. It about media and selling tickets. The tournament publicity intangible makes a difference in freshman enrollments, alumni giving, and view of the overall university in reputation.

Think a Sweet 16 appearance by MT is in order to restore conference quality and reputation. C-USA used to be a 2-3 NCAA bid conference consistently, but now cannot even muster sufficient NIT bids, should one need them...much less at large or a top 8 seed.

We had 24 wins in 2014 and were not invited to the NIT, although 2 other C-USA teams were invited to the NIT that year.

Until the bottom half of the league takes basketball as seriously as the upper half does, the upper half programs are going to be attempting to do the equivalent of building $500,000 houses in a neighborhood filled with $100,000 houses. That's very unlikely to be a sustainable model of success for the league's better programs.

Reactions: MTTrueBlue
Up early watching some replays of analysis, espn u experts pick us over minn and then over butler...

this kind of hype leading up to this weekend is like tripling the target on this team's back that they've carried all season. There was no sneaking up on anyone this year. We blew out Ole Miss at their place, that game was over with ten minutes into the game and we stomped vanderbilt, essentially that game was over at halftime. Our guys are mentally tough, tougher than any team I can ever recall, They are road warriors, they handled having a target on their back all season, winning a bunch on the road. These games in Milwaukee, especially the first one will be like a road game. They can do this, if they are focused.

Reactions: MTTrueBlue
Mark Hollis is the selection committee chair for the NCAA tourney. He's also the Michigan State Athletics Director. Now it makes sense. That's why we got a 12 seed. LOL. Hollis is still salty.

The rest of this conference needs to get better and fast. Either that or Massaro needs to find another conference home for us.

Yep. Our conference costs us 2 or 3 seed lines. It's a complete screw - if someone has seen us play, they would know this teams ranking is more in line with our talent than our seeding.

But people see the directional school name & the conference, and we get hosed.

Play a game good enough to beat most P5 schools & we can say we blew out WKU. Have a bad night, blow a 17 pt lead against UTEP, it's a terrible loss. A P5 team has an equally bad game, gets thumped by a "name" school, and they get more credit for losing to a good team.

The reason people are picking us as an upset is because we are 9 or 10 seed talent stuck in a 12 seed game. It would be nice to be in a conference that lets us get the seed we deserve.

I'm not to upset about the 12. It's an easier road to the sweet 16 when we win this first one. I do wish we were closer to home, but I like our spot way better than Vandy's despite the fact that they will have a better number beside their name.

One thing I find interesting is that there is overwhelming consesus that we got screwed and that Minnesota got a way better seed than they deserved. I swear you could make an argument that they are trying to maufacture Cinderella at this point. Wichita St. is a 7 point favorite as a 10 seed. We are -1 now on the site I use and a pick'em on most of the others as a 12 seed. Is it really Cinderella if you're favored? No, but it makes for good TV.

Have seen several analysts this eveing pick MT to get to the sweet sixteen. One pointed out MT is the trendy underdog pick who may not be an underdog. Minnesota may get their fill of this crap and be ready to come out and pound on the Raiders.

Dick Vitale giving whole lot of love to Middle Tennessee on espn

I gotta say, that is a concern. Kind of makes it difficult for MT to sneak up on a team.

MT is getting tons of positive publicity from all of the commentators and analysts.

Yep. Our conference costs us 2 or 3 seed lines. It's a complete screw - if someone has seen us play, they would know this teams ranking is more in line with our talent than our seeding.

But people see the directional school name & the conference, and we get hosed.

Play a game good enough to beat most P5 schools & we can say we blew out WKU. Have a bad night, blow a 17 pt lead against UTEP, it's a terrible loss. A P5 team has an equally bad game, gets thumped by a "name" school, and they get more credit for losing to a good team.

The reason people are picking us as an upset is because we are 9 or 10 seed talent stuck in a 12 seed game. It would be nice to be in a conference that lets us get the seed we deserve.

Sadly, C-USA used to be such a conference. While the conf still has brand recognition, too many changes to still carry much weight. It would help if conference mates would at least reasonably improve in ooc and schedule better in ooc. The last year or two has been ridiculous!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT