ADVERTISEMENT

Season Tickets

They could simply give you a tour of the facilities, the locker rooms, the sky box, stuff like that if you buy season tickets during the spring game. That cost $0 and offers an incentive. Now I'm just a small town pizza lawyer and not much in marketing or making sells.

There's no reason to buy season tickets at this point. I can walk up whenever I feel like, buy a cheaper seat, and sit whereever I want. And I don't have to worry about wasting tickets if I can't make it to a game.

They need to offer some value added items to the ticket package. How about some apparel stuff - a free hat or discounted polo or something like that. Some concession coupons, or a parking pass.

How much could this stuff cost relative to the goodwill and value it adds?

I think the "incentive" this year is you have to both be a BRAA member and a season ticket holder to get a parking pass. They'll probably get a few more season ticket holders by doing this but I would also bet they lose more BRAA members.
2015_16_Donor_Benefits_Chart.JPG

I've often wondered why MT doesn't have a family 4 pack that includes 4 tickets, 4 food items (hot dogs, pizza, hamburger), 4 drinks for a reasonable price (maybe they offer but I've never heard it publicized). I like your idea of giving all season ticket holders food items or a polo. Anything to build goodwill among your loyal consumers

Which has me thinking....MT seems to run their ticket office like a cable company. The deals go to the new customers (tickets with a BRAA membership) while raising the prices on existing customers. As someone who worked in cable services for a bit, this policy did little to build goodwill and loyalty among the consumers. MT would do well build loyalty among existing consumers in some way

Actually, I became a first year member of BRAA and bought season tickets this year. Only reason was to get the parking pass. But there were no perks or deals tied in with it. AND I bought it all at the Spring Game. I think the season tickets were $90. Still cheaper to buy walk up tickets. So other than a parking pass, there is still no incentive to buy season tickets.

Reactions: BlueRaider95
Also, in this day and age, when teams are going out of their way to get your money - MT seems very cold and impersonal.

Since there's not exactly a huge demand for these things, a large part of getting people to buy them is to make them at least feel wanted.

I just went to GBR.com and clicked on seaston tickets. You know where it sent me - Ticketmaster! I'd rather deal with a hemorrhoid than ticketmaster. So, I clicked it anyway - "Let me choose seats for you" it cheerfully said - and then proceeded not to give me another option - then, gave me a seat I don't want and no way to change it.

There's not even a link or an email to a ticket rep or anything like that.

I feel like MTSU could not care less if I became a season ticket holder or not.

I had Preds season tickets in 2006/07. I never bought another ticket from them since I moved to Knoxville. Yet, every year, I have a Preds ticket rep call me and try and put together a package for me. They send me free ticket to a preseason game. I get flyers and mailers from them. I get emails with discount codes. All for a guy who hasn't bought a ticket from the team (I stubhub all my Preds games) in 8 years.

I think I got a brochure from the MT AD once for tickets. Might have been a few years ago. That's about it. I know they know where I live, they send me "donate to such and such fund" stuff all the time, and they have no problems cashing my checks.
MT does a very poor job of relationship marketing. Modern consumers, at least most of them, have come to place a greater emphasis on the social or relational aspect of the buying process. No longer is a simple annual post card in the mail enough to move a consumer to purchase a product, consumers expect to form a personal relationship with the organization and be engaged through social media.

Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and other social media outlets have provided opportunities for consumers to engage with one another and the organization itself. Unfortunately, MT has really dropped the ball here (for the most part). There's no relationship outside of when the season ticket or BRAA drive begins and ends.

I arrived at the Spring Game Garage Sale an hour before it opened. I spoke with the ticket sales associate for a few minutes and was never asked to make a purchase and walked by BRAA several times and was never asked to join. The sale was never offered (by the ticket sales rep) so it could never close and the BRAA rep never attempted to form any sort of relationship. Poor CS and very poor salesmanship

Reactions: Predarat
They need to go out and hire commission based sales people, who aren't scared to hear a NO, car salesmen, cellphone salespeople and insurance people would make great people to hammer the phones and call people. They could get a small salary and a percent of what they sale, I would bet they would produce since that how they get paid.

Reactions: C-Bow
Many of the things you posters say that "they" should do cost $$$s which the MT athletic dept. doesn't have. I wish we has more (and more creative marketing) but where do the $$$s come from. The school on West End had a very effective ad campaign for FB and BkB a couple of years ago. I was told by someone somewhat familiar with the ad agency and ad costs that the campaign cost somewhere between 150 and 250 K. I wish we could promote through out the mid-state but where do we get 1/4 million? Where could we get such money.

Let's talk $$$s a minute. We all know that MT is partnering with the city to build a new indoor tennis court after a donation of seed money from the Carolyn Boatwright Reeves family. IIRC the last I heard the facility either had to be scaled back or funds were still being raised. MT had a hard time raising the money for a tennis facility even partnering with the city.

In the Nashville Tennessean last Sunday it was reported that a single anonymous donor had provided the funds for a similar tennis facility (it could be better) at Ensworth Acad. A relatively new private high school in Nashville has larger donors with deeper pockets than a university with 100,000 alumni and a history of over 100 years. Folks, it is what it is.

Can we do more, yes one thing mentioned is cooperation between the alumni association, the BRAA, and the athletic dept. I have felt for years that they are not really helping each other. If you are a fan of over 5 years you will remember when the MassCom dept did not help the athletic dept. or vice versa. Not using resources readily available in order to promote MT athletics (and the school itself) is not acceptable. As for social media, all I know is that I get e-mails from both the athletic dept. and the BRAA. Don't do facebook and tweet so I can't judge that or any other late fad.

All of the things discussed here are totally valid. Also 90% of this has nothing to do with advertising. Sweeten the pot and call every alum in the state with these offerings. Make them a priority and show that you care and it will change. Calling the alums should be job #1. Call the season tix holders during the season and chat up Blue Raider ball. Invite season tix holders to MT tailgates. Make it matter dang it. It's not hard if Massaro shuts up and lets his team grow it out. Invest in the fan and the fan will invest in you.

If they wanted to do some ad work, blue raider fans like Shane Reed and myself could provide some great products for next to nothing. I've worked for some of the largest agencies in the south before starting my own shop. Shane's work is so much better than what most agencies and we know the product. Solutions exist if they want to take advantage of what they have. Instead they waste money with these sales and promotions that offer nothing and get no results. However, this isn't about advertising. This is about overhauling the fan outreach and fan experience.

At the game, set up multiple product and fan gear tables at every entrance. Getting ponchos for the Savannah St. game was a friggin disaster. Phillips bookstore is a nightmare and that's gotta get fixed. I buy my stuff from Raider Tees who the AD dept ran off. Ridiculous. Again, they have repeatedly told us that they don't care about us or the local businesses who would be glad to help them. Why should we care about them?

Am I really the only one that gets called? I get called at least 5 times a year. Normally at least 2 thank you calls from athletes and at least 3 calls from the ticket office more if we make post season. I honestly don't want anymore calls.

Reactions: BlueRaider95
Am I really the only one that gets called? I get called at least 5 times a year. Normally at least 2 thank you calls from athletes and at least 3 calls from the ticket office more if we make post season. I honestly don't want anymore calls.
Maybe it's tied to your donor level and I was too far down the list (BRAA and Season Ticket) to get a call....

I have been getting phone calls several times a year from the MT folks regarding season tickets. Don't think that is the problem. Got to quit scheduling FCS nobodies for opening home games every year, and promote, promote, promote!

The first step is transparency...just publish the damn numbers. Secondly, you have to create demand. It would be nice if the product on the field were better but otherwise the price is too high. I have told this story many times thru the years but in 2000, 2001 and 2002 I created my own season ticket group that grew from 40 to 100 people. I collected the money, got the commitments and then they got rid of the group discount. So the group broke up and many 1/3 of these folks renewed their season tickets.

Look, marketing doesn't help because there just isn't demand. The only tools we have are to have folks ask every single graduate to buy tickets - it has to be personal. Its grass roots marketing. Whoever runs the BRAA has to ask every single member to sign up another member. Its doesn't cost a lot of money but it requires one to ask another to commit to something - so its hard work, its the hardest work. Other than this, drop the price. All the fancy commercials, etc are a complete waste of money.

I agree that commercials can be a waste but I completely disagree about price. The price is almost too cheap. I have never met anyone who doesn't buy because of price. Cutting the price just leaves money on the table.

The Braa is always asking us to sign up other members. Has been for years.

I also disagree about publishing the numbers. Broadcasting low sales does nothing to create demand and lowers the enthusiasm among the faithful. No good reason to put those numbers out there.

Last edited:
I did get a cool "Raider Review" magazine today. I would post picture but I don't know how to post without a URL.

I agree that commercials can be a waste but I completely disagree about price. The price is almost too cheap. I have never met anyone who doesn't buy because of price. Cutting the price just leaves money on the table.

The Braa is always asking us to sign up other members. Has been for years.

I also disagree about publishing the numbers. Broadcasting low sales does nothing to create demand and lowers the enthusiasm among the faithful. No good reason to put those numbers out there.

I think you are overthinking this, it is basic supply and demand. We don't make enough money on tickets to really be worried if a season ticket is $10 versus $15 - in other words we have much bigger issues - THERE IS NO DEMAND. So how did it help the university and our athletic brand for my season ticket group of 100, half who had no ties to MT, to get rid of the group discount pricing package? Our number one priority is butts in the seats, forget about the money. We are not UTK, we cannot act like them, or approach anything we do from a fan perspective like them.

BRAA has wanted us to invite others, I am talking about a entirely different approach - its all about commitment. They are way too nice about it. I have been in marketing/sales for 28 years, I have work for start ups in the technology world where we had to create demand for a product that no one knew they needed. This is a different push - its not what we do.

The outcome of what we are doing is to ask for more money from the same people, meanwhile leaning on our students to cover most of the bill through the fees they pay. Without some new hotshot coach who is going to market the program or multiple 10 win seasons in a row our best option is a grassroots marketing plan. Better known as guerilla marketing - doesn't cost much but its take hard work and commitment. Trust me, we will not do it, we will hire consultants who will keep pushing the same crap that doesn't work.

Last edited:
I did not renew this year for the first time in 9 years since graduating in '05. Things change and maybe when I get the fire back then I'll jump back in. So far, the move to C-USA has done absolutely nothing for me. Former C-USA powers Southern Miss and UAB both went in the crapper and then we go and hire their former DC. Just my personal opinion but the football product put on the field by the SunBelt in years past was much better football. And, I have zero interest in sitting through home openers vs. the likes of Western Carolina, McNeese St, Savannah St., and now Jackson St. I miss the passion of the 2009 season.

Agreed, "Raider Review" is a quality publication, I read my through last night after receiving it in the mail yesterday. Surprisingly good read. Perhaps a move by Keith?

I hope it was directed to not only BRAA members but others (We do have a mailing list, don't we?) who might be encouraged to become more active in their support of MT athletics.

Let me add on an unrelated subject: I can become a BRAA member and buy season tickets in FB and BkB for less than just FB season tickets at some schools. Lower the price and we're close to what some high schools charge which, IMHO, would seriously devalue the product more than what could possibly happen on the field. Keep the faith, buy season tickets and BRAA membership and remember that being a supporter of a so-called %$&-major is a test of character. Show yours.

Reactions: TeKEraider
Mike,We will have to agree to disagree. I think you could close the the ticket counters and just stack the tickets in front of the window with a "need one take one" sign and not move the attendance needle.

FTR I was in a group similar to yours that slowly dwindled as well. I just don't think price had anything to do with it. The reality is the "new" wore of. Everyone of our forty or so dwindled for different reasons. Had kids, already had kids but they started playing youth sports, divorce, job move, you name it. Life happened. But the biggest problem was we were in SEC country and half the people in that group were stupid and thought we would flip a switch and be an SEC type program. When that didn't happen after a couple of years they lost interest. I was still in school when I started that group. We were all either students or recent grads. We were all staking our claim because we had dreams that one day those seats would be hard to get. We bought even though we got free tickets because that is what we we dreamed. We had 40 seats on rows 2-4 in 2hh because those were the best seats in the house and they were going to by ours when the place was packed. We were wrong. Reality is most of have doubled our income since those days and tickets are more affordable to us now than then. Even though they cost more. Do you honestly think the price increase is the reason your group split?

I am in marketing/sales too. This isn't a start up that people don't know they need yet. People know the product and brand well and are choosing something else. It is what it is. Reality is we are growing. Slowly. We will continue to grow. Not fast enough for some but we will. When our kids who grew up going to MTSU games have kids you will really see the change. It takes time.

Agreed, "Raider Review" is a quality publication, I read my through last night after receiving it in the mail yesterday. Surprisingly good read. Perhaps a move by Keith?

I hope it was directed to not only BRAA members but others (We do have a mailing list, don't we?) who might be encouraged to become more active in their support of MT athletics.

Let me add on an unrelated subject: I can become a BRAA member and buy season tickets in FB and BkB for less than just FB season tickets at some schools. Lower the price and we're close to what some high schools charge which, IMHO, would seriously devalue the product more than what could possibly happen on the field. Keep the faith, buy season tickets and BRAA membership and remember that being a supporter of a so-called %$&-major is a test of character. Show yours.

I am pretty certain this is a Keith project. If you read the credits page it was produced completely in house by our on campus assets. Maximizing campus assets has been his main focus. That's why you see things like our concrete management program building the new seating for this season. I think the BRAA is making huge strides with new leadership. Unfortunately it looks like it only went to BRAA members.

I'm sure some of you have taken a few economics courses. I had several as an undergrad and grad. student and, while long ago, hope I remembered something from my time at MT.

I have to think the PTB in the athletic dept. are constantly evaluating the cost/benefits of changing the ticket prices and are looking for the optimum price point for both attendance and much needed $$$s. Gotta think that the priority is, at this time, more on finding the price point which will bring in the most money. If money doesn't increase, or at least remain constant, cuts will have to be made and there's not much "meat on the bones" to be found to cut. Your money is more important, at this time, than your attendance. They probably won't admit it but "it is what it is".

Due to circumstances beyond my control I don't know how many games I will attend this year but my checks for both BRAA membership and FB season tickets will be in the mail next week. I hope yours will be mailed before the renewal deadline.

The average sports fan will support something new or something rising. Stockstill isn't new and, to Joe sports fan, the program hasn't appeared to be on the rise since the 2009 New Orleans Bowl.

String together a couple of 10 win seasons and season ticket sales will jump.

I did not renew this year for the first time in 9 years since graduating in '05. Things change and maybe when I get the fire back then I'll jump back in. So far, the move to C-USA has done absolutely nothing for me. Former C-USA powers Southern Miss and UAB both went in the crapper and then we go and hire their former DC. Just my personal opinion but the football product put on the field by the SunBelt in years past was much better football. And, I have zero interest in sitting through home openers vs. the likes of Western Carolina, McNeese St, Savannah St., and now Jackson St. I miss the passion of the 2009 season.
Have fun watching Belmont and Memphis.

I don't have a problem playing FCS schools. IMO, the schedule should be FCS, Power 5 money game, and two games against equal opponents (MAC, SBC, AAC)

I agree. It would be nice to get some of the local Fcs schools to help with attendance but to be honest I think they are going after bigger paydays than we can offer. Plus if they are going to lose they would rather lose to someone other than us.

Chick Fil A is VERY picky about who serves as an operator and they are not afraid to pull an operator for poor performance or service. That said, Murfreesboro needs another CFA bad. I've never been to the one on Old Fort when there wasn't a line going on the road and I didn't have to stand for at least 5 minutes to order. But I go there because I get better service, better product, and a better value (especially since Wendy's raised there prices a few years back)

Not to derail- lots of good thoughts here- but specifically in regard to CFA: there is a second one coming. On Memorial near the new Wal-Mart/Airport area.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Not to derail- lots of good thoughts here- but specifically in regard to CFA: there is a second one coming. On Memorial near the new Wal-Mart/Airport area.
About time...
When/if the Gateway Area ever gets the Corporate HQ that they've been looking for, you could almost stick another one there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT