ADVERTISEMENT

Season Tickets

TeKEraider

All Conference
Dec 29, 2006
It appears the question has finally been answered by the UAB CSS report. We sell about 5k a year. In the bottom 1/3 of CUSA. Not good.

And UAB averaged 21000 last year, according to the NCAA website. MT averaged 17000. A couple of thoughts:
1) It seems like attendance has been down since Brad Smith left
2) I'm not sure the move to Aspire has paid off

I think game times and opponents hurt us last year as a whole. I think our season ticket issue comes several issues.

It also does not help that walking up to the ticket office outside Floyd each home game is cheaper than buying season tickets. Really what incentive does anyone have to buy season tickets other than you just want to help support the athletics program?

Reactions: Predarat
It also does not help that walking up to the ticket office outside Floyd each home game is cheaper than buying season tickets. Really what incentive does anyone have to buy season tickets other than you just want to help support the athletics program?
That and we don't enforce sitting in ticketed seats leads to 0 demand. Up until recently I have been opposed to tarps but starting about a year ago I am starting to change my mind. We need to create a demand. Other than getting in a few prime sections like 2HH there is no incentive. Once those are gone why bother. What's sad is once you back out the 10-15 per suite and club member tix it's even worse.

5k? That's worse than I thought.

We desperately need to take that step forward as a program - a CUSA championship, or a top 25 ranking, a big upset of a top foe, or something like that.

Our program is good, but not great, and what's worse - it has all the personality of wet cardboard.

Momentum can go a long way in these things. Living in Knoxville and observing UTK, the on-field results are absolutely mediocre (less than, in some cases), but the coaches are at least as much salesmen as they are coaches. They are definately pumping the sunshine. And as a result folks here are excited and season tickets are up for the first time in about a decade. (We'll see what happens when they go 7-5 again though).

I feel like we have no momentum. Yeah, we have a pretty good team that's going to have a pretty good season. That's pretty good. Pretty good doesn't excite people though.

The lack of seating enforcement is a double-edged sword - enforce seating and the enforcers are called ticket gestapo (and it costs money to hire the enforcers), don't enforce and those who have season tickets are forced to often ask people to move which can sometimes be a problem (I've had assholes ask me - Why make me move? I'm comfortable here with my family. There are plenty of empty seats. I once had to take the time to find an officer to move someone). One major issue I have is that season ticket seating areas are not clearly identified in either Floyd or The Murph (nor or student areas identified).

As to the price of season tickets - This long time season ticket holder for both FB and BkB gets frustrated knowing that entrance to the games is cheaper for walk-ups than season ticket holders when promotions are taken into consideration. But, I do get the satisfaction that I am supporting my school, me seat is (usually - see above) assured, and I don't have to stand in line to get tickets.

I do believe that the recently opened Associate Athletic Director position in charge of marketing and promotions has been filled by the university. It'll be interesting to see who they chose and what they'll bring to the table.

As a long time FB season ticket holder and an old alum; I'd love to know why the administration does not spend some serious Money targeting the alleged 30,000+ alums who reside in the central Tennessee counties to buy season tickets. I'd venture to say that we could also have a "Promote the Boro Day" and target the fastest growing county in Tennessee with some free tickets to one game just to get the butts in the seat. A little thinking outside the box would be refreshing. For example, "Free tickets for all City of Murfreesboro and Rutherford County employees, including all the school teachers" for the otherwise boring Jackson State game would be a smart start.

As a long time FB season ticket holder and an old alum; I'd love to know why the administration does not spend some serious Money targeting the alleged 30,000+ alums who reside in the central Tennessee counties to buy season tickets. I'd venture to say that we could also have a "Promote the Boro Day" and target the fastest growing county in Tennessee with some free tickets to one game just to get the butts in the seat. A little thinking outside the box would be refreshing. For example, "Free tickets for all City of Murfreesboro and Rutherford County employees, including all the school teachers" for the otherwise boring Jackson State game would be a smart start.
IIRC, when I was a student at MT, Massaro came to one of my Athletic Admin classes (taught by Manny Diaz's wife, no less), and stated that he doesn't like doing the giveaways because it cheapens or devalues the product (I hope I'm using his words as accurately as I can)

Until Keith McCluney arrived, there didn't seem to be much emphasis on relationship building (i.e. relationship marketing), except by a few coaches / staff members who would follow / friend all MT fans on social media.

Thats what I was about to say, yes you get a bit better seat, but then again about 1/2 the time I will go and someone that is not supposed to be there will be plopped down right in my seats. So that is not much of an incentive either. Some years I really drag my feet when renewing.

After some thought, review, and consultation with other MT supporters, I'll through some my thoughts out regarding the state of MT Marketing and Sales.
1) I was a BRAA member and season ticket holder in 2009 or 2010. When it came time to renew, I never received one personal call or email from anybody in the MT athletic department. This is poor customer service and sales technique.
Follow-up calls and emails are a necessary part of the relationship building that increases renewals, new sales, and helps gain new referrals.
2) I registered for a promotion with the Predators. While I did not win the promotion, a ticket sales rep from the organization called and offered me 4 free tickets (club level) to a Predators game. He then followed up with me after the game to offer me a special promotional rate for one of their 10 game packs. I spent a few days trying to find a few friends to come in with me on the offer and would have done it alone had I not been a poor college student, just starting a full time job, and a few months from my wedding with a honeymoon to pay for, I would have taken him up, just because he showed interest in me. While I'm not a huge hockey fan, I support the Predator and enjoy the game atmosphere....which brings me to my
3) Poor product. A 2-10 season may be deflating to a fan base...but so is a poor product (on and off the field). Losses to teams MT should beat and failure to be competitive in other home games (BYU) has many MT supporters staying at home and following on their iPhones while watching Oregon (or some other exciting offense) rack up 50 points

I want nothing more than my hometown to my hometown to be successful and look forward to the day that I can, again, return home to Murfreesboro.

Austin:

Your 1st thought is complete BS IMHO - you really need your ego stroked to support your school? - that will buy your loyalty? - Really? (but gotta say - I do get at least a couple of calls each year from a student/athlete thanking me for my support - this has been going on for the last few years - and once you give them your e-mail address you can expect numerous messages) And I do think there is a new atmosphere in the BRAA office - spoke to someone who had been in there recently - said they went over backwards to all introduce themselves and offer to do anything to make being a Blue Raider supporter and BRAA member more enjoyable. Would recommend giving them another chance by becoming a member.

As for #2 - Apples and Oranges - no need to explain

As for #3 - You got me there - Hard for me to get excited for some games but I still go, reluctantly. Admit I leave early often when the games are not competitive.

It appears that you have to have season tickets this year to get a parking pass for football and basketball even if you are a BRAA member. Anybody else notice this in the BRAA renewal pamphlet?

Austin:

Your 1st thought is complete BS IMHO - you really need your ego stroked to support your school? - that will buy your loyalty? - Really?

How is that BS?

Rooting for sports teams and athletes provides a sense of belonging for fans — known as sports identification, and sports offer an escape from the daily grind of work and life. Rooting for a team also bolsters self-esteem and creates a sense of pride. It is a way to vicariously experience success. Not about ego or buying loyalty; it is giving a sense of belonging to something. When it comes to money; you have to give someone an incentive and a sense of belonging and appreciated is an incentive.

Thought that was the way it always was - But, I've had season tickets to FB and BkB for as long as I've been a BRAA member.

Austin:

Your 1st thought is complete BS IMHO - you really need your ego stroked to support your school? - that will buy your loyalty? - Really? (but gotta say - I do get at least a couple of calls each year from a student/athlete thanking me for my support - this has been going on for the last few years - and once you give them your e-mail address you can expect numerous messages) And I do think there is a new atmosphere in the BRAA office - spoke to someone who had been in there recently - said they went over backwards to all introduce themselves and offer to do anything to make being a Blue Raider supporter and BRAA member more enjoyable. Would recommend giving them another chance by becoming a member.

As for #2 - Apples and Oranges - no need to explain

As for #3 - You got me there - Hard for me to get excited for some games but I still go, reluctantly. Admit I leave early often when the games are not competitive.
1) I have 2 MT bowl jerseys and a second jersey that served as the guest book at my wedding so not being called was not about having my ego stroked. It's about building a relationship with the consumer. I'm a Blue Raider at heart and when/if I can get closer to Murfreesboro, I'll be a season ticket holder again, but driving 1.5 hours (from where I used to live) or 2.5 hours (where I live now) for a game on a consistent basis just isn't feasible. Rule #1 about sales is you have to make that follow-up call to begin building that relationship.

2) The Predators have built a somewhat rowdy, enthusiastic, and lively atmosphere, despite being in a non-traditional market for hockey. They have done so, partly because they have invested time and energy into building a relationship with the fan base

Reactions: C-Bow
How is that BS?

Rooting for sports teams and athletes provides a sense of belonging for fans — known as sports identification, and sports offer an escape from the daily grind of work and life. Rooting for a team also bolsters self-esteem and creates a sense of pride. It is a way to vicariously experience success. Not about ego or buying loyalty; it is giving a sense of belonging to something. When it comes to money; you have to give someone an incentive and a sense of belonging and appreciated is an incentive.
Exactly. In a competitive marketplace, building a genuine relationship with the consumer is vital for long term success. That said, have a genuine relationship is not worth a dime if your product is less than stellar.

MidTnBlues: ". . . it is giving a sense of belonging to something"

Just what I felt sitting in the rain at a FB game as a freshman over 50 years ago. And since I earned 2 + degrees there, my wife also, each of my children earned at least one of their degrees at MT, and I have supported athletics and academics at MT for all my adult life, that sense of belonging to something has never left, and it's surely not going to leave me just because someone in the athletic dept. hasn't stroked my ego. As long as I have breath I'll be true to MT - no ifs, ands, or buts. (but it is sometimes hard to be a fan of a so-called mid-major - I'll give you that - but IMHO it builds character)

1) I have 2 MT bowl jerseys and a second jersey that served as the guest book at my wedding so not being called was not about having my ego stroked. It's about building a relationship with the consumer. I'm a Blue Raider at heart and when/if I can get closer to Murfreesboro, I'll be a season ticket holder again, but driving 1.5 hours (from where I used to live) or 2.5 hours (where I live now) for a game on a consistent basis just isn't feasible. Rule #1 about sales is you have to make that follow-up call to begin building that relationship.

2) The Predators have built a somewhat rowdy, enthusiastic, and lively atmosphere, despite being in a non-traditional market for hockey. They have done so, partly because they have invested time and energy into building a relationship with the fan base
The Predators do go above and beyond in fan relations, usually. They do try, emails, calls, at times a rep from the office will even visit your seats during an intermission to ask if there is anything they can help with. That has been going on since the new local ownership took over, not so much with the previous.

The Predators do go above and beyond in fan relations, usually. They do try, emails, calls, at times a rep from the office will even visit your seats during an intermission to ask if there is anything they can help with. That has been going on since the new local ownership took over, not so much with the previous.
Yep. Ticket rep visited my seat and spoke with me for about 5 or so minutes. The Predators ability to build relationships with fans is partly why the area in 98.5% full. The other reason is that the product has been good (3 playoff trips in last 5 years) http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance

MidTnBlues: ". . . it is giving a sense of belonging to something"

Just what I felt sitting in the rain at a FB game as a freshman over 50 years ago. And since I earned 2 + degrees there, my wife also, each of my children earned at least one of their degrees at MT, and I have supported athletics and academics at MT for all my adult life, that sense of belonging to something has never left, and it's surely not going to leave me just because someone in the athletic dept. hasn't stroked my ego. As long as I have breath I'll be true to MT - no ifs, ands, or buts. (but it is sometimes hard to be a fan of a so-called mid-major - I'll give you that - but IMHO it builds character)
Congratulations! I hope you are bringing friends and family members to the games with you. As a "Promoter" (in marketing terms), you have a tremendous power to create new fans of MT athletics.

But not everyone is like you. In fact, most people aren't. As some of you guys may remember, I used to run this site and probably spoke to around 50 or more recruits during the time I ran the site. Despite the differences in hometown, position, high school success, etc, one common theme among many of the commitments that I spoke to was that "MT showed them the love." The same is true in sales. People will go to the business/organization that "shows them the love."

Chick Fil A has a quality product and does a great job of building relationships with the consumer. Together, they have helped transform a small diner in Georgia to a nationwide food service business. Drive by the Chick Fil A in Murfreesboro at lunch...I guarantee you it is busier than the Wendy's down the street

Chick Fil A has a quality product and does a great job of building relationships with the consumer. Together, they have helped transform a small diner in Georgia to a nationwide food service business. Drive by the Chick Fil A in Murfreesboro at lunch...I guarantee you it is busier than the Wendy's down the street
Part of that is there is only one CFA to 3-4 Wendy's.

Part of that is there is only one CFA to 3-4 Wendy's.
Good point (I've worked at both). Using statistics to this article, Chick Fil A franchisees average 2.8 million per year in sales, Wendy's averages about 1.5 million per sales. In fact, CFA has the highest per store sales of any top 50 food chain store

CFA seems to be very picky and smart about expansion. Though we really need another one in the boro, and I almost had an incident at the one in Franklin with someone trying to cut in front of the drive through line. That pist me off, but luckily I blocked them.

CFA seems to be very picky and smart about expansion. Though we really need another one in the boro, and I almost had an incident at the one in Franklin with someone trying to cut in front of the drive through line. That pist me off, but luckily I blocked them.
Chick Fil A is VERY picky about who serves as an operator and they are not afraid to pull an operator for poor performance or service. That said, Murfreesboro needs another CFA bad. I've never been to the one on Old Fort when there wasn't a line going on the road and I didn't have to stand for at least 5 minutes to order. But I go there because I get better service, better product, and a better value (especially since Wendy's raised there prices a few years back)

It's Boots' fault. Football attendance will improve if we fire Boots! Oh wait...

Wow the CUSA move netted a grand total of 340 Football STHs. They must have marketed the hell out of that move and took that for all its worth. Much impress on that. 340 still cannot believe it.

There is no excitement with mt football. We don't do enough to win over fans or the market. That's ok though. Give the coach another raise.

Last November, I parked at the sportsplex in Nashville and found a "ticket" on my windshield. I was like "aw man!" Until I opened it up and it was 4 predators tickets disguised as a parking ticket. The officer was Officer Nash and my offense was not enough blue and gold ha.

Reactions: AustinLewis
Those numbers are really deceiving though. ODU, Charlotte, UTSA and FIU practically gives away their season tix. Even when Brad Smith was here, they never broke 6k. It's been like that forever under Massaro. The exception was 2000 or somewhere like that when they basically gave them away. They had over 10k then.

I love how Massaro says that giving away a few tix is devaluing the product. This guy knows almost nothing about getting butts in seats. It's obvious. The marketing/tix postion has had more turnover than any other position in the program. What people don't understand is how to trend and identifying where the trends come from.

Lets look at the seasons where we had the most attendance in the last nine years.

2007 - WKU and Virginia
2008 - We had Troy for 1st home game and Maryland a week later. FAU on National TV
2009 - We had Memphis for 1st home game (29,000) MSU
2010 - We had Minnesota for 1st home game (23,000), Austin Peay (local interest) and Troy on National TV
2011 - GT on Sept 11 (30k), Memphis and WKU

What was the common factor in all of these years? It wasn't the record. All of these games were scheduled in September or mid October at the latest.

With a school like ours, We have to have either local interest games or bigger schools coming in here in September or early October. Our attendance is better when we do that.

Last 3 seasons + this one, McNeese St., WCU, Savannah St. and now Jackson St. for the first home games. This year, our September games are JSU and Charlotte. Are you kidding me? Who's coming here to see that when Vandy and UT are booking better matchups? Vandy is playing WKU on Sept. 5th. Much better matchup with local interest. We booked BYU in November last year when it was colder than Alaska. Our marquee conference matchup is Marshall in late November. Sheesh. If we get these games in September, much better turnout. We had WKU in September and we had 25k. It's not rocket science. Front load your schedule with local or better matchups to build excitement around.

Also, what would it hurt to BOGO season tix or Buy 3 and get the 4th free? If you want more people in there, sweeten the pot. Even if it doesn't work, it's not gonna hurt. Heck, go on a blitz for 2 weeks and offer the BOGO deal for those 2 weeks and close the window.

The reason that the walk ups are cheaper is because it's a last ditch effort to get people in there. The sit anywhere you want policy is the same. Look, it's too late by then. The loss already happened. You gotta get the win weeks or months ahead with better front loaded matchups when the weather is good.

Also, here's another issue. Freshmen and Sophomores are waning due to the community college situation here. Fine, open it up. If you are a student at any of those schools, come to MT to watch football for free or at least a BOGO. Call it the Future Blue Raiders Welcome Mat Club as a way to get them to come here after they get their 2 years done.

Outreach and connectivity with strategic scheduling. Beyond a few radio shows and some appearances 2 weeks before kickoff, what do we really do to get people in the stadium? Jack squat. You get what you put in.

Brad Smith is really missed. I knew him personally and he worked his rear off. Massaro and Stock did him no favors and worked against him most of the time. I saw it first hand. I can say it but I know Brad never would. He is a great guy who bled blue and they ran him off. Well, we've seen Massaro run the show with yes men for the last 3 years and the environment in the stadium is pretty dead now.

I go no matter what but if there is a drop in attendance, there's a reason. Respect the trends and cater to them instead of trying to change them. That's like pissing into a tornado. Play to our strengths.

Reactions: C-Bow
Don't a lot of the big schools and ecu charge the students for season tickets at a discounted price? If I was the the Athletic Department, I would charge the students $50 for football and $50 for all other sports when they pay there tuition.

The budget for MT is already propped up pretty heavily by student fees if I recall correctly. I think there was even another spike in the figure a couple of years ago. I think it should be one or the other (fees versus season tickets), not both. That's just me though. If other schools are doing it and having success/little resistance, then go for it.

The budget for MT is already propped up pretty heavily by student fees if I recall correctly. I think there was even another spike in the figure a couple of years ago. I think it should be one or the other (fees versus season tickets), not both. That's just me though. If other schools are doing it and having success/little resistance, then go for it.
That's correct. Student fees prop up a TON of "mid-major" programs. I'd be very careful about charging an additional $50 until the demand warrants it.

With the issue of "free" community college. Freshmen and sophomores aren't coming. I saw a big drop in the Student base last year. So the question is if they aren't coming for free, why in the heck would they pay?

I say open it up to all community colleges in the area. Either a BOGO or free for 1-2 games. Heck, if the response is good, go all season if they signup for a promotion. With this Haslam initiative, MT has to get creative with students.

There's no reason to buy season tickets at this point. I can walk up whenever I feel like, buy a cheaper seat, and sit whereever I want. And I don't have to worry about wasting tickets if I can't make it to a game.

They need to offer some value added items to the ticket package. How about some apparel stuff - a free hat or discounted polo or something like that. Some concession coupons, or a parking pass.

How much could this stuff cost relative to the goodwill and value it adds?

Reactions: blueraiderJT
Also, in this day and age, when teams are going out of their way to get your money - MT seems very cold and impersonal.

Since there's not exactly a huge demand for these things, a large part of getting people to buy them is to make them at least feel wanted.

I just went to GBR.com and clicked on seaston tickets. You know where it sent me - Ticketmaster! I'd rather deal with a hemorrhoid than ticketmaster. So, I clicked it anyway - "Let me choose seats for you" it cheerfully said - and then proceeded not to give me another option - then, gave me a seat I don't want and no way to change it.

There's not even a link or an email to a ticket rep or anything like that.

I feel like MTSU could not care less if I became a season ticket holder or not.

I had Preds season tickets in 2006/07. I never bought another ticket from them since I moved to Knoxville. Yet, every year, I have a Preds ticket rep call me and try and put together a package for me. They send me free ticket to a preseason game. I get flyers and mailers from them. I get emails with discount codes. All for a guy who hasn't bought a ticket from the team (I stubhub all my Preds games) in 8 years.

I think I got a brochure from the MT AD once for tickets. Might have been a few years ago. That's about it. I know they know where I live, they send me "donate to such and such fund" stuff all the time, and they have no problems cashing my checks.

There's no reason to buy season tickets at this point. I can walk up whenever I feel like, buy a cheaper seat, and sit whereever I want. And I don't have to worry about wasting tickets if I can't make it to a game.
They need to offer some value added items to the ticket package. How about some apparel stuff - a free hat or discounted polo or something like that. Some concession coupons, or a parking pass.
How much could this stuff cost relative to the goodwill and value it adds?
I've often wondered why MT doesn't have a family 4 pack that includes 4 tickets, 4 food items (hot dogs, pizza, hamburger), 4 drinks for a reasonable price (maybe they offer but I've never heard it publicized). I like your idea of giving all season ticket holders food items or a polo. Anything to build goodwill among your loyal consumers

Which has me thinking....MT seems to run their ticket office like a cable company. The deals go to the new customers (tickets with a BRAA membership) while raising the prices on existing customers. As someone who worked in cable services for a bit, this policy did little to build goodwill and loyalty among the consumers. MT would do well build loyalty among existing consumers in some way

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT