ADVERTISEMENT

LADY RAIDER BB Returning Players

MTOleBlue

All American
Gold Member
Sep 30, 2015
Matt Insell posted this on Twitter today.

Returning are:
  • Courtney Blakely
  • Courtney Whitson
  • Ta'Mia Scott
  • Savannah Wheeler
  • Jalynn Gregory
  • Anastasiia Boldyreva
  • Jada Grannum
  • Gracie Dodgen
  • Meioshe Mason
  • Gracie Hamby
The only one not in the returning 10 is Anabel Latorre. Excited to see what the future holds for her, and very excited for our team next year as this is an extremely talented group - a higher ceiling than this year, perhaps.

Pleasantly surprised to see Mason coming back. Love the physical presence she brings to the table. Definitely hope she gets some post playing time next year since we didn't see her at all this year. With Jada Harrison coming on board that makes 11. We should have 2 more spots available. I know the coaches here love going for freshman, but I wouldn't mind seeing an experienced 6' 3" or better quality post from the portal arrive.

Pleasantly surprised to see Mason coming back. Love the physical presence she brings to the table. Definitely hope she gets some post playing time next year since we didn't see her at all this year. With Jada Harrison coming on board that makes 11. We should have 2 more spots available. I know the coaches here love going for freshman, but I wouldn't mind seeing an experienced 6' 3" or better quality post from the portal arrive.
Exactly. And, since she didn’t play, she should be redshirt freshman (if she decides to take that extra year of eligibility which I imagine she would). Having another good tall post would be great so hopefully we can get someone from the portal too

To bad Riley was not ever inserted in lineup and left. Concerned the same thing would happen with TaMia

To bad Riley was not ever inserted in lineup and left. Concerned the same thing would happen with TaMia
Was hoping for good things from Riley. Recently checked her Twitter page. She entered the portal 03/13. Haven't seen any updates to her profile about outside school visits or interest. Oddly enough some of Rick's last comments before her departure had been how well she had been developing in team practices. Wonder how things could have turned out if she had stuck it out a little further.

I heard similar things about Riley so from a team standpoint, it was for the best. I am extremely excited to see Scott return. I too was worried she would be gone as her PT diminished toward the end of the season. I really think she can develop into a league MVP type player.

I heard similar things about Riley so from a team standpoint, it was for the best. I am extremely excited to see Scott return. I too was worried she would be gone as her PT diminished toward the end of the season. I really think she can develop into a league MVP type player.
I think Ta'mia is going to be a first team all conference player pretty quickly.

It would be nice to add a big and a really good 3pt shooter from the portal. Several are available. Best scorers available may be Kiki Jefferson and Quincy Noble. It's interesting that WKU will now have to rebuild. (a team with no seniors) Another Hayes problem?

Reactions: MTOleBlue
It would be nice to add a big and a really good 3pt shooter from the portal. Several are available. Best scorers available may be Kiki Jefferson and Quincy Noble. It's interesting that WKU will now have to rebuild. (a team with no seniors) Another Hayes problem?
Interesting indeed as one has to wonder based on past history. So far, Western has lost 4 to the portal, two of which were starters - Mya Meredith and Jaylin Foster. Both were solid players who, at times, gave us trouble so it doesn't hurt my feelings to see them go.
Everything has been pretty quiet on the MT front - which isn't a bad thing. Seems like the last couple of years we have made a large splash signing from the portal. Will be interesting to see if we can do it again.

That's a disappointing loss. Her speed & ball handling skills are excellent. Wonder if a poacher may have gotten word to her about a strong opportunity elsewhere, or if she was just concerned about playing time with Wheeler coming back combined with Jada Harrison's arrival.

That's a disappointing loss. Her speed & ball handling skills are excellent. Wonder if a poacher may have gotten word to her about a strong opportunity elsewhere, or if she was just concerned about playing time with Wheeler coming back combined with Jada Harrison's arrival.
Oddly enough I just saw the MT women's basketball twitter page just wished Blakely a Happy Birthday today. Very good sportsmanship on our part for expressing warm wishes to a player who just announced she no longer wishes to retain her scholarship here.

Wow, sad to see that. She is a great player and a key part of the team. Sorry to see her go, and good wishes to her wherever she ends up...

Reactions: blue rai
Somebody saw $$$ and jumped. Sad but true the portal and money will ruin college athletics. Big universities are paying more than the WMBA make in a year to steal players from other schools.

Blakley signs with Arizona.
Well that was fast. March 20th we have a video of Courtney hugging coach happy I her decision to stay. Basically 2 weeks later she's in the portal & next day signs with Arizona. Definitely a poacher at work there. Probably something like that would have been investigated a few years ago, but now perfectly legal. Can't blame her at all. Blakeley's going to a quality P5 NCAA program. Won 22 games last year, & made it to 2nd round of the ncaa tournament. Arizona averaged over 7,500 in game attendance. Nice step up for Blakely & probably some nice pocket change to spare.

Well that was fast. March 20th we have a video of Courtney hugging coach happy I her decision to stay. Basically 2 weeks later she's in the portal & next day signs with Arizona. Definitely a poacher at work there. Probably something like that would have been investigated a few years ago, but now perfectly legal. Can't blame her at all. Blakeley's going to a quality P5 NCAA program. Won 22 games last year, & made it to 2nd round of the ncaa tournament. Arizona averaged over 7,500 in game attendance. Nice step up for Blakely & probably some nice pocket change to spare.
Agree, there had to be some undermining going on. As mentioned, earlier this week her birthday was posted on social media by MT so this happened at such a rapid pace that there is no way discussions weren't taking place under the table. I hate to see this one. While she was capable of scoring, her ball handling skills and ability to drive were impressive. Honestly, there were times I preferred her at the point over Wheeler- especially when she was struggling with her outside shot and seemed to be forcing things. Let's hope Harrison is the real deal and good luck to CB.

Coaches that are not in the tournament or who exit early are recruiting. When the NCAA opened the portal they have wrecked college sports. Just look at history. How many mids have been in the NCAA men’s semi. Our lady raiders are a recruiting ground for the larger conferences.

I have been more concerned about TaMia Scott leaving as I think she has tremendous potential. And I saw Harrison play in the state tournament and she is a great ball handler and passer. She can also score but seemed happy to be the quarterback on her team.

Agree, there had to be some undermining going on. As mentioned, earlier this week her birthday was posted on social media by MT so this happened at such a rapid pace that there is no way discussions weren't taking place under the table. I hate to see this one. While she was capable of scoring, her ball handling skills and ability to drive were impressive. Honestly, there were times I preferred her at the point over Wheeler- especially when she was struggling with her outside shot and seemed to be forcing things. Let's hope Harrison is the real deal and good luck to CB.
About Wheeler from 3, your totally right. She rarely stopped & squared up when shooting from deep. Great at getting fouled when driving to the bucket, but many times I preferred Blakeley running the show. Hopefully Harrison will bring similar qualities & Rick will give her some playing time next year.
With a few good additions next year MT should still be another very good team, if only Rick can figure out how to not fail in the post season. His record is now something like 1-12 in the NCAA.

The coaches have their work cut out for them, the next few weeks and months. Hopefully they can match or upgrade from the losses.

Hailey Van Lith of Louisville is in the portal. Talk about some angry message boarders. By the way, her NIL package at Louisville was already at $511,000. Apparently that's not enough for her. Pro's only average $100,000 annually. As good as she is Caitlin Clark is at approximately $750,000. Hailey is good, but she's not Caitlin Clark good.

Hmmmmm......
I saw where their coach left and was curious if departures might follow. Been anxiously awaiting a Lady Raider portal find. Obviously, CRI re tweeting this doesn't mean she is Mboro bound, but one would think she is at least interested. She's a solid player.

Arike represents exactly what we didn't have on last year's roster, & could really use on next year's team. A strong 6' 2" to 6' 3" ready to play athlete who can maintain a physical presence on the blocks against others of her similar size. Players of that size & strength are very prevalent in the top 25, & we badly need a couple for next year's team.
Unfortunately Boldyreva has minimal rebounding strength against these type of players. She's just not very good on the boards when fighting over 50/50 rebounds. And the rest of our team while being scrappy are all 6' & under. Teams like Texas Tech & Colorado had a multitude of these type athletes & ended up wearing us down. Would like to have her, she could make a nice addition if the NIL money teams don't come after her.

Big money is going to ruin college sports. It's just like pro ball which is nothing but show boating and look at me players. I don't watch pro sports just because of that one reason.

Reactions: coachchia
Just curious as to if anyone has heard any womens bball recruiting news? I believe we still have three spots available. One freshman (Harrison) coming in next year, and she's a good one but that's the only addition that I am aware of with four departures. Seems like the impact players out of the portal are finding homes and maybe we have some signings that we are staying quiet about, but would love to hear some news soon.

Just curious as to if anyone has heard any womens bball recruiting news? I believe we still have three spots available. One freshman (Harrison) coming in next year, and she's a good one but that's the only addition that I am aware of with four departures. Seems like the impact players out of the portal are finding homes and maybe we have some signings that we are staying quiet about, but would love to hear some news soon.
Got nothing so far

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT