ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Relevance of the four game series with VU to the future of MT athletics

MTFNBY5

Hall of Famer
Jul 26, 2005
As with most posters I am concerned about MT's place in the mid-state's athletic world.

Attendance, media coverage, fan support throughout the mid-state (at seen by yard signs, flags, and vehicle gear in the area), ability to sign a larger share of the better prospects from the area: All of this is not where I expected or hoped for when the move to D-1 in FB was announced.

I've been listening to local (mostly Nashville) sports talk this week and while the game is mentioned (primarily by outlets with contractual agreements with MT) I haven't heard any in-depth analysis (except for Monte's show), much mention of any MT players other than young Stock, and none of the several handicappers I heard mentioned the game. Even when playing the area's SEC team we are irrelevant and almost invisible. One would like to think that when two area D-1 schools are playing that would be the topic de jour for the week. Instead Mariotta, UT-K's program, the upcoming Pred. season; Anything but MT/VU

Fifteen +/- years ago on one of the sports talk shows I heard a discussion of how the upcoming 3 game series played out would have an effect upon the programs. The newcomers to the mid-state, many of whom were looking for a local team to support, would watch the series to determine which school to support. If MT could be competitive, it was proposed, many of the alumni would jump on board along with casual fans who were looking for a team. MT was more than competitive winning all three games yet I bet we would be hard presses to find anyone who, because of our play against VU, became a hard-core MT fan and is still on board today.

My question to you MT fans (I won't care if a rational VU lurker weighs in): What is the relevance of this series to the future of MT athletics? Does the attendance throughout the series matter? Does the record matter?

I feel like there have been multiple blocks discussing the show. It was the main topic on Midday 180 and D-Mac and D-Mas lead their show today and were live from campus yesterday. I will always want more but the attention has been good. We need to win CUSA this year and go on a run with Lil Stock> if he keeps putting up these numbers they won't have any choice but to talk about him.

As with most posters I am concerned about MT's place in the mid-state's athletic world.

Attendance, media coverage, fan support throughout the mid-state (at seen by yard signs, flags, and vehicle gear in the area), ability to sign a larger share of the better prospects from the area: All of this is not where I expected or hoped for when the move to D-1 in FB was announced.

I've been listening to local (mostly Nashville) sports talk this week and while the game is mentioned (primarily by outlets with contractual agreements with MT) I haven't heard any in-depth analysis (except for Monte's show), much mention of any MT players other than young Stock, and none of the several handicappers I heard mentioned the game. Even when playing the area's SEC team we are irrelevant and almost invisible. One would like to think that when two area D-1 schools are playing that would be the topic de jour for the week. Instead Mariotta, UT-K's program, the upcoming Pred. season; Anything but MT/VU

Fifteen +/- years ago on one of the sports talk shows I heard a discussion of how the upcoming 3 game series played out would have an effect upon the programs. The newcomers to the mid-state, many of whom were looking for a local team to support, would watch the series to determine which school to support. If MT could be competitive, it was proposed, many of the alumni would jump on board along with casual fans who were looking for a team. MT was more than competitive winning all three games yet I bet we would be hard presses to find anyone who, because of our play against VU, became a hard-core MT fan and is still on board today.

My question to you MT fans (I won't care if a rational VU lurker weighs in): What is the relevance of this series to the future of MT athletics? Does the attendance throughout the series matter? Does the record matter?

For what it's worth, I think this series is much better for MTSU than it is for Vanderbilt. At absolute best, we can get a win out of it. At worst, we get more embarrassment. If MTSU wins, it can help with perception, fan support, local media and recruiting.

Now, the way you make it to that next level is to become a top 25 team. That's really the only way you get noticed if you're not a Power 5 team imo. If you make the top 25, you're on the radar, if not, you're a neat little story, but who have they beat?

Back to Vandy, I have looked forward to this game because I love going to road games and I haven't been able to since my kids were born, but I would still prefer to never play MTSU again. It's a great game for MTSU, it's a terrible game for VU. Luckily for MTSU though, VU is run by bleeding heart liberals, so I'm sure they'll continue to look out for y'all.

I don't see it bringing a huge change to MT football. As one of your other posters put it, most people don't go to the games because of the C-USA affiliation and the weak opponents that brings to Murfreesboro. I don't think you'll ever see a time where people flood to Floyd Stadium to watch MTSU-FAU. It just doesn't have any appeal.

The recruiting aspect can be argued but I don't think many kids are choosing MT over Vanderbilt. They don't typically recruit the same kids for the most part anyways but in the rare cases it happens most would rather play in the SEC for the unlimited exposure.

I think the Vandy admin sees this as a good game because they have to pay the bills. We will fill their stadium even if they won't help ours. Plus there travel expenses are dirt cheap compared to doing a home and home with ODU or Miami OH

I think the Vandy admin sees this as a good game because they have to pay the bills. We will fill their stadium even if they won't help ours. Plus there travel expenses are dirt cheap compared to doing a home and home with ODU or Miami OH

That may be the logic, but when you get 40,000,000 a year from the SEC, you shouldn't have to act like a mid major. The story I heard was that Williams caved to Masaro's whining (see bleeding heart liberal) and gave him the game that would be good for MTSU.

Beating/losing to Vandy will have little effect on any of that. We will build support when we can consistently wins games and string a few great seasons together. We will need to get ranked in the top 25.

I disagree with the argument that Vandy has everything to lose and nothing to win. They are traditionally the worst team in their conference year in and year out. They routinely play G5 teams and lose to them WKU, Temple, etc.. So, lets not sit here and act like losing to us is the end of the world, which they have done that the last three times we've played. They we're not kicked out of the SEC and their fan base did not regress because of those loses. They will be fine. However, their is tons of local interest when we play that is not their when they play other G5 teams. They also get a much larger ticket sales when we play at their place. We had as many fans as they did at each game, No other G5 team will do that.

Reactions: MTLynn
That may be the logic, but when you get 40,000,000 a year from the SEC, you shouldn't have to act like a mid major. The story I heard was that Williams caved to Masaro's whining (see bleeding heart liberal) and gave him the game that would be good for MTSU.

Yeah, I'm sure that's exactly what happened.

Or he was still owed a payout from a game that you never played...

Vandy fans are silly.

I agree it's not a lose lose situation for Vandy. It's a winnable game in a city where you all recruit. Vandy is traditional the worst team in the SEC. I'm not sure who they could play that would be a win win.

I agree it's not a lose lose situation for Vandy. It's a winnable game in a city where you all recruit. Vandy is traditional the worst team in the SEC. I'm not sure who they could play that would be a win win.

Interesting that all MTSU fans think it's not a lose lose for Vandy.

I don't see it bringing a huge change to MT football. As one of your other posters put it, most people don't go to the games because of the C-USA affiliation and the weak opponents that brings to Murfreesboro. I don't think you'll ever see a time where people flood to Floyd Stadium to watch MTSU-FAU. It just doesn't have any appeal.

Takes a Vandy fan, but this is it.

In summary, no, none of the results impact our esteem as a program.

Even if we become a C-USA powerhouse, we still won't command the respect, because we will be playing Florida Atlantic and Old Dominion, etc. Let's just enjoy where we are and hope like hell we can be a powerhouse in our conference.

Takes a Vandy fan, but this is it.

In summary, no, none of the results impact our esteem as a program.

Even if we become a C-USA powerhouse, we still won't command the respect, because we will be playing Florida Atlantic and Old Dominion, etc. Let's just enjoy where we are and hope like hell we can be a powerhouse in our conference.
Let's not leave out that football juggernaut, Charlotte.

MT put up a statue of a coach who had a post-season record of 0-7... and that was back in 1aa small school ball. Anybody expects fans to be inspired by that level of a program? VU might take their lumps in the mega-powerful SEC but they went to 3 straight bowls not long ago (4 in 6 years actually and won 3 of the 4) while competing in the SEC. MT does not deserve a four game series with VU. They should go back to 1aa and re-join the OVC.

Reactions: TommyDore
MT put up a statue of a coach who had a post-season record of 0-7... and that was back in 1aa small school ball. Anybody expects fans to be inspired by that level of a program? VU might take their lumps in the mega-powerful SEC but they went to 3 straight bowls not long ago (4 in 6 years actually and won 3 of the 4) while competing in the SEC. MT does not deserve a four game series with VU. They should go back to 1aa and re-join the OVC.

Have to discredit your post: James "Boots" Donnelly won 6 games and lost 7. Beat EKU in 1984, Beat Indiana State in 1984, Beat Appalachian State in 1989, Beat Jackson State in 1990, Beat Sam Houston State in 1991, Beat Appalachian State (again) in 1992. That's 6-7 overall in the 1-AA playoffs. Don't forget the three games we beat Vanderbilt in 2001 (38-27), 02 (21-20), and 2005 (17-15). We also have won the New Orelans Bowl in 2009 against Southern Mississippi. Those are the facts, not fiction.

Even if Coach Donnelly had lost every bowl game he was in, he still had a heck of a record. Losing this game isn't the end of the world and won't hurt our perception, just like winning it wouldn't do a whole lot for our perception as a football program. Being a Conf USA powerhouse would potentially get us into a nice post season bowl on occasion, rather than some of the lower level bowls we've been in, but there is plenty of good competition in this conference and it will be tough.

Reactions: MidTnBlues
Fifteen +/- years ago on one of the sports talk shows I heard a discussion of how the upcoming 3 game series played out would have an effect upon the programs. The newcomers to the mid-state, many of whom were looking for a local team to support, would watch the series to determine which school to support. If MT could be competitive, it was proposed, many of the alumni would jump on board along with casual fans who were looking for a team.

This sounds eerily like what Vanderbilt fans tell themselves. Just replace "beating Vanderbilt" with "going to a bowl," or "going to a couple of bowls in a row," or "showing that the 9-4 season wasn't a fluke."

It never happens because it's not 1985. People don't move to Middle TN looking for a local college to support. If they come in caring about college football, it's because they support Bama, Texas, Michigan, Florida, USC, any of whom they can watch each week on HDTV. They're not interested in watching Vandy play MTSU. If they're moving from Boston, New York, or perhaps somewhere like Denver or Seattle (or even places with strong college sports culture like Chicago, Detroit or the Twin Cities), they think of the NFL as real football and college as the minor leagues.

(I haven't lived in Nashville in a couple of decades but my hometown is near enough and I read enough Vandy talk that I'm pretty confident in this.)

There are places where you get semivoluntarily drawn into caring about the local college. I was in Ann Arbor for a couple of years and, even as the Rich Rod regime was imploding, even as U-M was getting its arse kicked by State all the time, even as I was stressed out by grad school, you just couldn't help getting swept into awareness of Michigan football. Somewhere like Missoula, Montana, is probably similar. But those places are rare.

I mean, I hate to say it, but the economics of CFB are an iceberg, and only the top 20 programs are above water. The rest of us are just holding them up and fighting for a slightly better view in while still deep underwater.

PhillipVU94 - A really good and rational perspective from a VU fan. I guess as a fan of MT I don't take enough time to be cognizant of how long-suffering Dore fans must feel. We see the media coverage, hear about the annual $40 million "welfare" check from the SEC, realize the size of the endowment, and are aware of some of the Belle Meade donors who are helping VU and we fail to see the larger picture.

VU BkB, once the #1 team in the mid-state by far, no longer has a line of fans waiting for season tickets to the once always sold-out Memorial Gym.
Even with the FB success under Franklin it's hard to see, from afar, if fan interest picked up to any great extent. Certainly the empty seats show this effect didn't last long.
It's gotta be hard seeing fan interest for FB growing so much at your conference rivals that they are filling more and more of Dudley each time they visit Nashville.
BB has been very successful under Corbin and the games are well attended but the field is landlocked with little room for expansion and the capacity is small for such an elite program.
And to face facts: both VU and MT's potential to grow the fan base was tremendously affected by the arrival of the 600 lb. gorilla in the room, the NFL. Both the Titans and, to a lessor extent, the Preds have sucked up media attention, fan interest, advertising dollars and much more.
One more factor: We both (insert word here: hate, despise, envy, etc.) much to do with the school up East. But, as MT fans we somewhat understand or place in the pecking order. VU fans, however, must see a rival and conference mate dominate fan interest and the media in their own home town. A bitter pill for sure.

Seeing the world as I do from a long perspective my primary concern with VU (other than their "sidewalk alumni", many of whom went to another school if they ever went at all) is the traditional media coverage compared to other area schools. That discrepancy endures today but I'm beginning to realize that type of coverage has little to do with fan support since the daily newspaper along with the 6 & 10 o'clock TV news are becoming less and less relevant.

"94", thanks for stopping by.

Last edited:
I thought and stated before MT played and lost the Vandy game that the Vandy game is a lose-lose game for MTSU! Only possible redeeming factor was possibility of great crowd. That didn't happen. Vandy didn't do much with visiting tickets. The situation for MTSU: if MTSU wins, it's a game MTSU should win considering Vandy is a regular bottom feeder of the SEC. If MTSU loses, it's humiliating in that Vandy is known for typically being a non-factor in SEC football and 1A in general.

I like the idea of a good local rivalry. It would be nice if both MTSU & Vandy could have sellouts for the games. Maybe a possible improvement might be playing the game as the first game of the season. WIth hype of new season & excitement, the game could possibly get a little extra local media attention for the few weeks leading up to the start of the season. This season, it seemed like the game was noticed for a few days and that was it. It didn't help much with creating buzz for the game.

Duke, come on. We all know that if the weather ain't perfect, people ain't gonna be there. It had little to do with Vandy and more to do with constant rain for 4 hours straight. That kills your walkup right there. Plus, a rumor got out that it was sold out and many people I know kept telling me that they decided not to go because it was sold out. I laughed out loud when they said it and asked where they found that out from and they all said the media. I never heard that but I also don't watch the news much either. So you have rain and bad info so there you go. We still had 25k.

Reactions: PhilipVU94
I thought and stated before MT played and lost the Vandy game that the Vandy game is a lose-lose game for MTSU! Only possible redeeming factor was possibility of great crowd. That didn't happen. Vandy didn't do much with visiting tickets. The situation for MTSU: if MTSU wins, it's a game MTSU should win considering Vandy is a regular bottom feeder of the SEC. If MTSU loses, it's humiliating in that Vandy is known for typically being a non-factor in SEC football and 1A in general.

I like the idea of a good local rivalry. It would be nice if both MTSU & Vandy could have sellouts for the games. Maybe a possible improvement might be playing the game as the first game of the season. WIth hype of new season & excitement, the game could possibly get a little extra local media attention for the few weeks leading up to the start of the season. This season, it seemed like the game was noticed for a few days and that was it. It didn't help much with creating buzz for the game.

This post is satire at it's finest.

Well done.

This post is satire at it's finest.

Well done.

Not really. We beat you you three times prior and got no boost. We lose and our fans are in meltdown. Vandy doesn't travel. I like local home and homes because it means a road game I can get to but that is the biggest benefit. I prefer the Ga tech series. It's not a hard game to get to. Tougher to win but you actually get recognition when you do. From a crowd stand point Memphis travels better and carries about the same level of prestige when compared to Vandy.

Last edited:
Reactions: dukewayne
No surprise, but it seems some Vandy fans think too highly of themselves, their football program, or whatever. Or maybe they just think non-Vandy non-SEC types sit around thinking about Vandy and what it must be like to beat them. Admittedly, it would be quality wins for MTSU vs Vandy basketball or baseball. In football, it's just embarrassing to lose the game. Still, MTSU fans aren't sitting around all year thinking about beating Vandy in any sport. In general, really not thinking much at all about Vandy. This week, I'm just pretty much thinking how embarrassing it was to lose the football game this past week. With another game tomorrow, I'll likely be over it by tomorrow morning.

Reactions: TeKEraider
Here's the difference. We're 2-3 and are depressed as heck and wonder if we can get 6 wins now. Vandy is 2-3 and their fans are ecstatic. A lot of them are actually talking 5 wins or even bowls now. SMH.

I'm glad we are playing them in the series but us losing to them hurts any momentum we tried to generate. It's a lose/lose for us but we also know we should play it. Thanks again Stock and staff for choking when it matters yet again. Hope we pull our heads out and show up tomorrow.

Here's the difference. We're 2-3 and are depressed as heck and wonder if we can get 6 wins now. Vandy is 2-3 and their fans are ecstatic. A lot of them are actually talking 5 wins or even bowls now. SMH.

Had Middle Tennessee State played Georgia and Ole Miss, this remark would be worth taking seriously.

However, your team has a great opportunity: Beat WKU as an 8-point dog in Bowling Green and demonstrate you can beat a common opponent.

Had Middle Tennessee State played Georgia and Ole Miss, this remark would be worth taking seriously.

However, your team has a great opportunity: Beat WKU as an 8-point dog in Bowling Green and demonstrate you can beat a common opponent.

Are you kidding me? MTSU played Alabama and at 4-1 Illinois. If you knew what you were talking about, your comments might be worth taking seriously.

I get it Vandy fans. Wins are terribly rare for you in football. You like to enjoy them while you can. Just don't come around here trying to sell us on you all being some national power or an SEC Title contender. Vandy finally beat MTSU this season. Good game, good for you guys. From what I could tell, there were two fairly evenly matched teams on the field the other day. The final score indicated a close game. That game could have easily gone either way. Your new coach has much improved the defense this season, and your coach seems to be gradually improving the offense. IMO, the defense is way ahead of the offense. Whatever the case, it was a close game. I wish my team would have won, but I also hope my team wins vs WKU. I'd like to see Vandy and MTSU play for developing a good OOC local rivalry where both schools might benefit in OOC attendance. So there you go. You guys won. Good game. Just don't try to sell us a bunch of bull that your team is some sort of elite national power world beaters.

While our attendance has problems just like most college football programs these days, MTSU's football program and fans have grown past the new to 1A thing. MTSU is a competitive team in a respectable G5 conference. Most of us MTSU folks expect to compete for C-USA titles every season while winning some once every couple/few seasons. MTSU football and fans are now expecting to get good OOC wins more consistently to match up with Conf title runs that just every once in a while might get MTSU to crack the top 25 and win some decent to good bowl games. In my and a lot of other MTSU fans' views, the Vandy game is a very winnable OOC game that has the potential to help with local rivalry and associated added media coverage and potential added attendance. That's it. MTSU fans are pretty unhappy that neither seemed to happen this year. More to the point, most of us expected MTSU to have a better OOC record this season even with a pretty challenging schedule. One cupcake, a B1G team, and two SEC teams. Most of us expected 1-1 after Bama with atleast one win if not both wins vs Illinois & Vandy. Both games were close. MTSU had it's real chances to win both games, but just didn't get it done in very close losses. No moral victories here. MTSU has some improvements to make. That is the general attitude that you see around this forum from MTSU supporters. It's not hopes and dreams dashed in an attempt to get a win over the mighty Vanderbilt. It's frustration that MTSU lost 2 games that MTSU could have won, and almost did! Close doesn't cut it though. MTSU has to play excellent near perfect football in conference to have a good season with a bowl game.

So Vandy folks around here, get over yourselves. Our world nor our football season centers around Vandy football.

Reactions: Raiderclyde
MTSU played Alabama and at 4-1 Illinois.

Ah, well, Illinois is clearly equal to Georgia, so I suppose that settles it. Except it doesn't, because that comparison is absurd.

(I really did forget about Alabama. Ole Miss cancels Alabama; Austin Peay cancels Jackson State. We have WKU and Georgia, you have Charlotte and Illinois. This isn't helping your case as much as you think it is.)

My point was about the mentality, not the quality of opponent. You'll be lucky to get one more win much less go to a bowl. We've been bowl eligible 5 out of the last 6 years and we aren't happy with our coaching staff.

Alabama just beat Georgia worse than they beat us so yeah, you're an idiot.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Nice try. Alabama cancels out Ole Miss who, you know, beat Bama in Tuscaloosa. (I'm being generous. You lost to Alabama by 27 points.) You're actually comparing Georgia to Illinois. Eager to see those rhetorical gymnastics.

Last edited:
WTF are you talking about? Why are you here? Congrats on that 2-10 season. Thanks again Stock. Because you didn't have game management skills, we have to put up with these morons.

WTF are you talking about? Why are you here? Congrats on that 2-10 season. Thanks again Stock. Because you didn't have game management skills, we have to put up with these morons.

Yep, this ongoing discussion that I'm hoping is winding down reinforces my assertion from the beginning. Lose-lose when playing Vandy! In the end, MTSU still blew a lead to lose a game to the bottom feeder of the SEC in football. Vandy, the football program the SEC likes to keep around so that all of the big power programs can take at least one week off during conference play to heal up key starters, get 2nd string teams some reps etc etc before they return to the week in and week out of the SEC conference grind. So obviously most of us are just a little frustrated that at about 10 years of coach stock's decent reputable above average tenure that MT still seems to blow opportunities to break through to the next level of success i.e. outright conference championships, 9 or 10 win seasons, etc. So these narcissistic Vandy fans just can't see or accept MT fans' frustration has nothing to do with Vandy except that it was the latest blown opportunity in a very winnable OOC game. Almost just as big a factor, the hoped for upside of local buzz and attendance was almost non-existent. And now the annoying current factor, Vandy trolls are acting like it was the Super Bowl, yet they still can't see how this is a lose lose embarrassing loss for MT! At this point, who cares? Irrational gloating fans, move along. Maybe Austin Peay will buy the bullcrap you folks are trying to sell. Just a suggestion.

So, how about you super bowl champs Vandy fans take your posterboard and crayons where you are still irrelevantly trying to compare & contrast competitive B1G vs SEC teams while forgetting to include the relevant Alabama and go back to whatever dark corner of the internet that you came from.

Anyways, I've got bigger fish to fry. In a few hours, MTSU plays our rival WKU that will likely have C-USA first place in the standing implications. Then this Vandy stuff will be old mostly forgotten news.

Gotta believe the VU posters (some are thoughtful and respectful - regardless time to move on) here wouldn't have hung around so long had VU not had an open week.

My point was about the mentality, not the quality of opponent. You'll be lucky to get one more win much less go to a bowl. We've been bowl eligible 5 out of the last 6 years and we aren't happy with our coaching staff.

And I thought UT fans were delusional. You play in a little piece of $hit conference. You play 1 semi-tough non conference game a year every now and then. You just lost to a school that you say is crap.What does that say about your program? This is probably the second worst Vandy team in the last 20 years and you lost to them at home with what many of you believed going into the season is one of your best teams ever. You tards need to step back and look at the big picture. You are now and will always be Little Middle, wanna be state U. No one outside of Rutherford county gives a rats butt about you. And most of that county supports Vandy or UT. Quality of opponent? It's night and day. We pay your typical opponents to come play us. You beg to get paid to play our typical opponents. If schedules were swapped last 5 years, you guys might have 5 wins. We went to 3 bowl games. So no, Vandy has nothing to gain from playing you. You guys have nothing to gain either except to stroke your little man egos. But reality is, You will never be more than you are now. A small wanna be school that gets Power 5 flunkies and criminals and the MAC leftovers.

And before you say, oh typical VU elitist opinion. No. I am an MTSU alum and a Rutherford county resident. I go to 2 to 4 MTSU games a year. I am a Vandy fan so I can watch real high level college sports. Not just football, but basketball and baseball Of which MTSU provides non of that and never will. Difference between me and the thousand or so delusional MTSU fans is that I have accepted reality. Of all my former MTSU friends, I know one that is a diehard fan. And the rest of us laugh at him. This past week was his super bowl. He talked so much crap. He hung his head on a 2005 victory. He actually believes this will be a top 25 program one day. But no, IT WILL NEVER BE MORE THAN A BOTTOM FEEDER.

And as I type this, it's 52 to 14 WKU at the half. LMAO.

Nobody in the midstate cares about vandy. Please move on.

And I thought UT fans were delusional. You play in a little piece of $hit conference. You play 1 semi-tough non conference game a year every now and then. You just lost to a school that you say is crap.What does that say about your program? This is probably the second worst Vandy team in the last 20 years and you lost to them at home with what many of you believed going into the season is one of your best teams ever. You tards need to step back and look at the big picture. You are now and will always be Little Middle, wanna be state U. No one outside of Rutherford county gives a rats butt about you. And most of that county supports Vandy or UT. Quality of opponent? It's night and day. We pay your typical opponents to come play us. You beg to get paid to play our typical opponents. If schedules were swapped last 5 years, you guys might have 5 wins. We went to 3 bowl games. So no, Vandy has nothing to gain from playing you. You guys have nothing to gain either except to stroke your little man egos. But reality is, You will never be more than you are now. A small wanna be school that gets Power 5 flunkies and criminals and the MAC leftovers.

And before you say, oh typical VU elitist opinion. No. I am an MTSU alum and a Rutherford county resident. I go to 2 to 4 MTSU games a year. I am a Vandy fan so I can watch real high level college sports. Not just football, but basketball and baseball Of which MTSU provides non of that and never will. Difference between me and the thousand or so delusional MTSU fans is that I have accepted reality. Of all my former MTSU friends, I know one that is a diehard fan. And the rest of us laugh at him. This past week was his super bowl. He talked so much crap. He hung his head on a 2005 victory. He actually believes this will be a top 25 program one day. But no, IT WILL NEVER BE MORE THAN A BOTTOM FEEDER.

If I were you I would kill myself.

This is probably the second worst Vandy team in the last 20 years and you lost to them at home with what many of you believed going into the season is one of your best teams ever.

Naah, I'd take this one over either Dowhower team, Woody's last team, Bobby's first team, and of course last year which really was the worst team in my lifetime. 6th worst. Sorry that steps on your message.

I agree this conversation has run its course. I just came here to talk about topics like media coverage, not engage in a pissing match. I will make one point and then sign off.

I keep reading about how Vanderbilt fans think our team is some sort of national power. Even accounting for hyperbole, that's just crazy talk. All of us realize that right now we're somewhere between a bad and a mediocre but improving SEC team. Most of us realize that Vandy is severely limited by playing in a conference where everyone can and will bend the rules. Call it an excuse if you want but it means that 9-4 is a really good accomplishment.

But there's no way you can deny the strength of schedule. The SEC takes away something between 2 and 6 wins relative to CUSA. Ole Miss + Georgia + WKU + Peay is just tougher than Bama + Ill + Charlotte + Jackson. (Wanna dispute that WKU is better than Charlotte?) You can rant, you can call me arrogant, you can say we don't "deserve" media coverage when we go 5-7 to these powerful opponents, whatever, but you can't rebut that we play a very tough schedule. How on earth is this even controversial?

And you really should admit it's dishonest to compare W-L when schedule strength is substantially different.

Nobody in the midstate cares about vandy. Please move on.

Sadly, not many care about either one of our programs. Just part of the Nashville landscape: pro sports + HDTV + wall to wall CFB TV + immense concentration of wealth in the top 20 programs = a bunch of programs losing money. All that lavish SEC money that we're "stealing"? Some of it reimburses the university for the loss it takes every year on football.

And frankly football doesn't add enough to the mission of higher ed to justify the loss, IMO. But that's a topic for a different time....

We're in the same financial boat in a lot of ways. I know you'll never admit it. I have no natural reason to dislike MTSU, nothing except for the sentiments expressed toward my team in this thread.

Good luck and best wishes.

Vandy is better than us. After today, there is no doubt in my mind. We deserve what we get this season. I would love to have their D. They aren't "high level" but are higher than us right now. It is what it is. WKU beat VU too so there you go.

WKU had zero points at the half against Vandy. (and were a 1-yard short 2-pt conversion away from losing to VU)

How many points did WKU have yesterday at the half again? What was that final score again?

By the way, since Charlotte played what amounts to a "JV" schedule last year, that game mt played against them this year shouldn't even count. Look at some of who they played last year:

Campbell
Johnson C. Smith
NC Central
Wesley College
Morehead

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT