ADVERTISEMENT

BB RECRUITING Regular signing period starts April 17, 2019

I do think the roster looks more promising for next year. Fewer players sitting and more actually playing and contributing. I remember there were times last year where it felt like we only had 7 or 8 people who could actually play for whatever reason.

So those people who sat last year we'll get this year which is great. I'm hopeful for big things from CJ Jones and Dishman. Jayce Johnson will have another year under his belt, and we get Antonio Green back for one more year for his senior season. Sims will be Sims, which is great. There's also tons of new names coming in, some transfers, some freshman. Can't remember them all, or who will have to sit, but the roster will look remarkably different for the 19-20 season and we are going to be a better team this year. Don't think we will be good enough to win CUSA, but I expect us to be a top half team and finish somewhere around 3rd in the East, probably a semi-finals exit in the tournament, maybe a CBI/CIT post-season.

The 20-21 season, I expect a championship and some key OOC wins. Sims' senior year, McDevitt's 3rd year here, stabilized roster, time to recruit. It will be time to bring home the bacon at that point.

Last edited:
Reactions: crposton

Anyone else think Crump looks like he has bulked up some since last year in this pic? If he has it will be very helpful.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Crump? Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me, but he looks like he went from a teenager's body last year to that of a man's body in that picture. If those young men are in fact strengthening and growing, it is an encouraging early sign for the upcoming season.

A good contrast:

MT players from last season transferring out are guys with limited mins and little production; the two incoming transfers who have to sit out are both starting productive players and even an all-conf player. A positive sign with what CNM is doing.

A good contrast:

MT players from last season transferring out are guys with limited mins and little production; the two incoming transfers who have to sit out are both starting productive players and even an all-conf player. A positive sign with what CNM is doing.
The exceptions were Dixon and Johnson. Johnson would have been a game-changer to keep.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
Yeah, that makes more sense. I am open to how CNM and staff do things. A little worried about the lack of a couple of strong bigs on the roster. We saw Tyndall at USM and White at La Tech become pretty dang successful with their nightmare FC pressure zone D. In similar fashion we saw Smart at VCU kill with it. So anything can happen. With 5 guys on the floor shorter than 6-7 I think it will be difficult UNLESS you speed up the game and have excellent spacing. Again, the game has changed. If you aren’t shooting 25+ 3’s a game, then you aren’t playing basketball.

Yes Randall, you are correct. I was definitely referring to those recent transfers you mentioned. This most recent season is already "last season" in my book especially when the team's are focusing on getting their players on campus, summer training, and generally getting ready for the upcoming season.

Overall, it seems CNM is upgrading a couple of slots on the roster with the transfers. Getting some proven productive players is a nice add considering the two transferring out have yielded few mins and little in game production.

Mentioning LaTech, USM, and especially VCU are good reminders that some teams have demonstrated good success with smaller lineups when that smaller lineup is focused on athletic uptempo attack and pressure on offense and defense. Time will tell if that is one of CNM approaches.

While building the core of his team, a focus on his core players makes sense in the early going. In my view, one of the main needs for big size in the frontcourt is for playing the really good teams competitively who frequently have big physical athletic frontcourt players. Being that MT has been completely rebuilding, I get the concept of getting core system players just to become competitive again. Once the team has returned to competitive play in most of their games, then good size can be picked up over the next couple of years so as to compete with the more dominant and elite competition. Sort of like walking then learning to run. MT has to return to just being a winning successful team again before worrying about championships, knocking off Top 25 teams, and advancing to the sweet 16. At that point, more time and focus in recruiting just might result in bigger and stronger frontcourt guys. Again, time will tell if this is actually what CNM has in mind.

Reactions: kingaling42
FWIW: Keishawn Davidson ['16 offer by Davis entering his Soph year at Oakland IIRC] has wound up at TTU after a year at Athens Prep.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT