ADVERTISEMENT

BB RECRUITING Regular signing period starts April 17, 2019

Jayce kind of reminds me of Perrin Buford. Might seem crazy now, but remember we did not see Perrin until he was a Junior. Similar size and Perrin was not much of a shooter either.

Hate to break it to you guys but it looks like sights are set on another guard.

One of my sources said the staff feels very good about the five frontcourt players they have. Now...who those 5 players are is beyond me. Looks like the deck my get shuffled around next year.
Is it a 6’9” 220 lb. guard?

Ironically, they do have a 6-8 guard. More of a true wing player SF type, but good height nonetheless.

So, their looking at another guard. He better be a 5 star type guard to add yet another guard to an already guard heavy roster.

Frustrating. Maybe the new freshman 6-9 Forward can contribute a few good minutes each game. One can hope.

I know CNM likes his long range-y guards and wings, but this seems a little overkill. Looks like he will have a team of guys that can almost play any guy 1-5.

He definitely wants interchangeable players. I do think it will help us if those are all players of a higher talent level than our normal competition. We rarely face a top talent above 6’9”. If we have to put an equal or greater talent on him at 6’6” or 6’7” then okay. Only time we will face taller very skilled players is if we are facing UK, UNC, Duke, etc. Bassey was not the norm for CUSA. If we can run like Nick wants them size can be neutralized.

It's a little frustrating, but he has been doing a pretty good job with mix & match thrown together roster. I think to ultimately be a well rounded successful team, a balanced roster of talented players is needed. I'm still optimistic if maybe a little obsessive about a big strong frontcourt.

What's the story on Demontay Dixon, 6'9" PF from Walters St.; Freshman qualifier with 3 to play from nearby Summit H. S. in Williamson Co.?
Not an impressive offer list nor is he highly rated but according to VerbalCommits.com it's down to MT, Evansville, and Wichita St. Offer was made last fall unlike several offers shown on Verbal Commits which were made by the previous staff. Can't coach up size.

What's the story on Demontay Dixon, 6'9" PF from Walters St.; Freshman qualifier with 3 to play from nearby Summit H. S. in Williamson Co.?
Not an impressive offer list nor is he highly rated but according to VerbalCommits.com it's down to MT, Evansville, and Wichita St. Offer was made last fall unlike several offers shown on Verbal Commits which were made by the previous staff. Can't coach up size.

Twas my understanding he was a little lower on the big board than others.

Farquhar has to be grades. I know he was a fringe qualifier to begin with.

Anytime you come to a conclusion we can bet good money it's likely not the real answer...hint: it's not grades, or playing styles, the school, the program, or anything else within the coaches or even this players control.. be patient grasshoppers.

Not even in the players control ? Is this some sort of Visa issue then or something ? I’m not familiar with the legalities of how Canadians come play basketball here.

Once a final decision is made you'll realize how far off base you are.. hint: you're entirely overthinking the cause...

He is not even for sure transferring right? If it is out of player and coaches control and it is not a Visa issue there are not a lot left. Maybe homesick or illness in family and wants to be closer to home. Transferring in players's control, but not the issue at hand if it is one of them. Hey King you mentioned in another post that one of the UNCA players wanted to follow Nick here. If it was Baehre I wanted that so bad. Teague would have been nice too, but Baehre was my prize. We would not be worried about the forward position at all for next year.

Are we sure Lewis is the staff's #1 target? Considering the current roster along with Lewis's profile I fail to see why some of you are so enamored with him.
What am I missing?

He doesn't address our needs but he is a very skilled player.

What do you mean does not address our needs? All we need are guards who are 6’4”-6’6”.

Non-MT but of note, Lipscomb point guard Kenny Cooper has signed to transfer to WKU. Good pickup for the Toppers. He’s apparently expected to get a waiver for immediate eligibility.

Once a final decision is made you'll realize how far off base you are.. hint: you're entirely overthinking the cause...

If it is out of everybody's control, as you say, then there shouldn't be a "decision to be a made" I'm assuming? Very confusing.

If it is out of everybody's control, as you say, then there shouldn't be a "decision to be a made" I'm assuming? Very confusing.

It's just killing you not to know everyone's business isn't it.. it's a very basic issue- think of it this way.. what are the most basic factors that impede an athlete and/or their performance (and which isn't entirely controllable)?

Jr has a choice to make- don't get me wrong but the overall situation is beyond his direct control..

Reactions: bluefutcpa
If it’s health related he needs to take care of himself first and foremost. If that is the case I wish he could stay at the university in some capacity.

Reactions: kingaling42
It's just killing you not to know everyone's business isn't it.. it's a very basic issue- think of it this way.. what are the most basic factors that impede an athlete and/or their performance (and which isn't entirely controllable)?

Jr has a choice to make- don't get me wrong but the overall situation is beyond his direct control..
I would not say it is knowing everyone’s business, but we do have an interest in the team. I obviously want what is best for the players first, but do care about the team as well. I think if you were not in the know about a team you cared about you would also be curious. If it is personal he can keep it to himself. We are just curious.

Non-MT but of note, Lipscomb point guard Kenny Cooper has signed to transfer to WKU. Good pickup for the Toppers. He’s apparently expected to get a waiver for immediate eligibility.

That's a great pickup. Stansbury can't coach but he can recruit.

Reactions: Hop45
I would not say it is knowing everyone’s business, but we do have an interest in the team. I obviously want what is best for the players first, but do care about the team as well. I think if you were not in the know about a team you cared about you would also be curious. If it is personal he can keep it to himself. We are just curious.

I agree that fans want to know due to the impact on their program and their interests.. but Wiley tends to take leaps and bounds with his assumptions instead of thinking of the most basic reasons/root cause..

I keep a list of MT signees dating back to 2010 just so I can keep up with trends of where players come from (which states, high school, JUCO, D1 transfers, etc.). It just struck me that 3 of the 4 signees by McDevitt in this class are guys that spent one year at post-grad prep schools. We haven't gone that route in a long time that I can remember. The most recent one that I can recall off hand is Tommy Gunn, who spent a prep school year at Bridgton Academy in Maine. Gunn obviously worked out for us in a big way. Does McDevitt have a track record of working prep schools, or is this a new development for him in his career? Interested in Kingaling's perspective (or anyone else also).

Reactions: SpaceRaider
So we out all of our effort into one guy to only have him commit to EKU??

Well maybe now we can go after a PF or C!

I agree that fans want to know due to the impact on their program and their interests.. but Wiley tends to take leaps and bounds with his assumptions instead of thinking of the most basic reasons/root cause..

Well probably his health then. Hopefully not that knee of his as that can be pretty grueling if remains a chronic issue.

Reactions: kingaling42
And he won't be landing here...

Very disappointing. EKU is a dump and a middle tier OVC program. We should not be losing recruits to them, but it can happen I guess. This needs to be a rare exception though. There are so many factors that go into recruiting so I try to look at the big picture and not any one recruit.

With that said, when I look at our roster as is, I do not see a championship contender as currently constructed.

Agree with sWiley that many factors enter into a player's decision and that a staff's recruiting ability should not hinge on landing one player, even one who chooses a "lesser" program. Regardless, I still find it hard to believe that Lewis was #1 on our list considering our roster and our needs if we have a scholarship to give (Is it certain Farquhar's scholarship is available?).
I would clearly like to be a fly on the wall when the staff has recruiting meetings (something I wouldn't need to do if we had better media coverage)

I keep a list of MT signees dating back to 2010 just so I can keep up with trends of where players come from (which states, high school, JUCO, D1 transfers, etc.). It just struck me that 3 of the 4 signees by McDevitt in this class are guys that spent one year at post-grad prep schools. We haven't gone that route in a long time that I can remember. The most recent one that I can recall off hand is Tommy Gunn, who spent a prep school year at Bridgton Academy in Maine. Gunn obviously worked out for us in a big way. Does McDevitt have a track record of working prep schools, or is this a new development for him in his career? Interested in Kingaling's perspective (or anyone else also).

Definitely a history with Hargrave and Oak Hill.. we've had 7 kids at UNCA from those schools over the last 7-8 years..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT