ADVERTISEMENT

LADY RAIDER BB Recruiting

As a great man once said," have patience Grasshopper" something good is just ahead.

I learned 25+ years ago to not get all whomped up on recruiting, regardless of the sport. Just wait till they hopefully show up on campus and if nothing else, pass the eye test. The reality here is, based on documented history, CRI has a rotation of 7 ladies. The occasional time he plays 8 is usually due to foul trouble and that lady plays no more than 5 minutes. So, can any of these 4 newcomers crack the rotation of 7 is to be determined.

The real story here is an iconic, 72 year old girls basketball coaching legend in Tennessee seems to have orchestrated a seismic shift in his approach to recruiting. Last season he had 3 international ladies on his roster. I believe the prior season he had 4, which included the transfer from Maine. Now he is bringing in 5 new ladies, 4 of which are international.

Having lived in Philly, Seattle and now ATL, I have always followed the NBA. Would guess 20+% of NBA rosters are comprised of international players. What I have learned/read through the years is that international players by and large are team first. They also are more fundamentally sound and more receptive to coaching. They relish doing the unheralded things like playing defense, passing, and setting hard screens. Plus, with families back home, you don’t have to deal with helicopter parents.

Not too long ago Chip used to do 15-20 minute sit downs with various head coaches during their off season and would post it on GBR.com. I realize these are softball interviews, but would be interesting to pull back the curtain and learn what was behind this major shift in recruiting focus. Just as important, walk us through the nuances of recruiting someone from Russia. What does that look like exactly?

Last edited:
Agree with above premise. I see 2 factors playing a role in our new international flair. I think the decision has been influenced more by assistant coaches than head coach. I see Matt playing a big role in this as a way of circumnavigating a way around the NIL & getting a perceived high quality product wit Checking the 3 players on court production it looks like the coup could be the big center. The other 2 averaged less than 2 points per game their last year. That doesn't mean they don't have great skill compared to our current players, & could easily compete for a position next year. I'm sure the coaches watched plenty of tape on each players skill set. Now we just have to wait & see how everyone transitions on court & with new teammates.

Agree with above premise. I see 2 factors playing a role in our new international flair. I think the decision has been influenced more by assistant coaches than head coach. I see Matt playing a big role in this as a way of circumnavigating a way around the NIL & getting a perceived high quality product wit Checking the 3 players on court production it looks like the coup could be the big center. The other 2 averaged less than 2 points per game their last year. That doesn't mean they don't have great skill compared to our current players, & could easily compete for a position next year. I'm sure the coaches watched plenty of tape on each players skill set. Now we just have to wait & see how everyone transitions on court & with new teammates.
Bit of a keyboard glitch midway through

I don’t necessarily disagree this shift to a more global approach to recruiting was driven more by the assistant coaches. Who normally do the yeoman’s work anyway. Generally the HC in most sports is more in a closer role. Ultimately CRI would have to have signed off on the shift, especially something so wide ranging. Regardless of who is driving it, mega props to any HC who continues to evolve in their respective sport or profession. Especially when he has achieved so much success the prior 40+ years.
Appreciate your insight & perspective 👏👏👏

With the new additions, we'll have only four players under 5'10" in height. The rest are 5'10" or above!

Matt just put up some twitter highlights of our new players in practice & play. Jada Harrison on campus practicing already. She has a really nice outside stroke. From just a few highlights you can tell she's going to be a player.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT