Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
Midwest

Friday/Sundya

St Louis

Michigan State 2 vs MT 15 seed

NCAA Tournament No. 1 Seeds -North Carolina -Kansas -Virginia -Oregon (23 combined losses among the four)

Misc:

Vanderbilt in a play in game against Wichita state fpf 11 in Dayton
Peay goes up against Kansas
South Dakota State a 12 seed
UNC Asheville a 15 seed
VCU 10 seed

chattanooga a 12 seed

Only 10 of 31 conference top seeds won their tourneys.

Yep, a terrible seed. Not only a rotten 15 seed, but vs Mich St who should have been a 1 seed. Almost like giving MT a 16 seed. Unacceptable, but what can you do? No one has been giving MT much of any chance all along this season, hopefully the team will use it as motivation.

It's a tough situation. Sparty thinks they should have been a #1 seed - they have a rpi of 11, MT has an rpi of 78. Haven't had time to look at the other 15 seeds, 14 seeds, or 13 seeds for that matter to see how that stacks up.

I do have the feeling that the committee spent all of 2 or 3 minutes once they got past the 12 seeds, on the rest.

Lansing State Journal:

Get to know MSU's first opponent, Middle Tennessee

excerpt:

...The Spartans have played MTSU only once, an MSU home win during December of Magic Johnson's freshman season in 1977-78. The Blue Raiders are in their eighth NCAA tournament, having last made the field in 2013, but this marks just their second appearance in 27 seasons.

“It’s going to be one of the best weeks at Middle Tennessee State University in a long, long time this next week,” Blue Raiders coach Kermit Davis told reporters after the Conference USA championship game.

Their lone common opponent this season was Florida Atlantic, which has former Spartan star Eric Snow as an assistant coach. MSU defeated the Owls 82-55 on Nov. 13, while Middle Tennessee defeated them twice, 85-73 and 76-59.

Sophomore Giddy Potts, a 6-foot-2 guard, leads MTSU in scoring at 15.0 points per game and is a lethal 3-point shooter, making 50.3 percent (73 of 145) from beyond the arc. That leads all of Division I, just ahead of MSU’s Bryn Forbes.....

Overall, this is probably the worst job I've ever seem a selection committee do. As another poster said, it looks like they concentrated on the 1-4 seeds (they even messed some of those up) and pulled the rest of the names out of a hat.

According to the 1-68 seed list the committee used, we were #59 overall, which amounts to the highest 15-seed. Sounds like we just missed a 14, which would have been appropriate. Of course, because of the z-matrix-style seeding and accounting for geography, we landed the toughest 2 in MSU, who pretty much everyone agreed should have been a 1 without question.

On the plus side, I believe St. Louis is the closest first-weekend site to us, easily driveable, and we're playing a great team that may win it all. It's a great opportunity to see our Raiders on the biggest stage, which we've waited for for a long time (the play-in just didn't feel the same). At least we didn't end up in Spokane!

I do like the potential of TX/TX A&M in the "3rd" round. Makes for a good story after A&M went to the SEC.

I'm thinking the overall conference RPI probably hurt MT and UAB. The seedings made a little more sense when it came out that UAB is a 7 seed in the NIT. Not saying it's right. Just saying that may have been a pretty sizable factor consider MT ought to have been a 14 or 13. In the NIT, I really thought UAB would be a 2 or 3 seed. Did not see the 7 seed happening at all for UAB.

C-USA is going to have to get it's ooc scheduling act together this offseason.

Cdjxe9iUkAAEAPv.jpg:large

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT