ADVERTISEMENT

BASEBALL Oxford regional

#BringBraggatotheBoro

Why wasn't he hired 4 years ago instead of Jim McGuire???

Bragga has been mentioned in connection with UK and UT jobs in last few years. Based on success of this season, would he want to test waters at Mississippi St. before considering MT?

Bragga has been mentioned in connection with UK and UT jobs in last few years. Based on success of this season, would he want to test waters at Mississippi St. before considering MT?

Mississippi State just missed on Jim Schlossnagle. The other names mentioned in consideration for the MSU job are Dan McDonnell, Tim Corbin, Mark Wasikowski & Cliff Godwin.

Bragga would be considered a let down for the Miss State if you get as close to Schlossnagle and McDonnell & miss (Kendall Rogers had those 2 being the odds on favorites for next coach). But as a Mississippi State alumnus as well as MT grad, I can tell you his stock just went up in Starkville by knocking Ole Miss out.

WooHoo!!! We go play Texas now. Oh, by the way, leave our coach alone!!! :)

Besides, why would he take a step down and go to MTSU?

The sad thing is MT should not be a step down in baseball (based on history and conference), but it probably would be now.

The big thing for Bragga - not a lot of jobs open that I would jump for. Kansas State is probably the biggest this side of Rice (going to hire Saarloose from the looks of things) or Mississippi State (going after Dan McDonnell at Louisville now) . Would Bragga jump to Kansas State for a rebuild to make ~$300,000 a year?

He could stay where he is and if Louisville opens or another big program, he would be in a great position.

Also, McGuire was paid $95,000? That's 3 from bottom in C-USA. If we are serious about a baseball rebuild, we are going to need to offer $150,000 - $200,000.

The sad thing is MT should not be a step down in baseball (based on history and conference), but it probably would be now.

The big thing for Bragga - not a lot of jobs open that I would jump for. Kansas State is probably the biggest this side of Rice (going to hire Saarloose from the looks of things) or Mississippi State (going after Dan McDonnell at Louisville now) . Would Bragga jump to Kansas State for a rebuild to make ~$300,000 a year?

He could stay where he is and if Louisville opens or another big program, he would be in a great position.

Also, McGuire was paid $95,000? That's 3 from bottom in C-USA. If we are serious about a baseball rebuild, we are going to need to offer $150,000 - $200,000.

Interesting point on the salary. Of course, it should be noted that McGuire's on-field accomplishments did not merit a substantial increase in compensation. I'm not an expert on the subject, but maybe $90-95K was a more competitive salary at the time McGuire was hired 5 years ago than it would be now. The question is whether or not we are willing/able to open the wallet to lure the next coach in.

Interesting point on the salary. Of course, it should be noted that McGuire's on-field accomplishments did not merit a substantial increase in compensation. I'm not an expert on the subject, but maybe $90-95K was a more competitive salary at the time McGuire was hired 5 years ago than it would be now. The question is whether or not we are willing/able to open the wallet to lure the next coach in.

If we are not, then I have to ask why we invested so much in a new stadium? MT baseball did next to nothing the last few years under Peterson, and McGuire did very little to correct the direction. Very little to show for building that stadium. Massaro needs to hit a home run with this hire, and I have extreme doubts that he can.

I just looked up Tommy Raffo, he only made $77,000 at Arkansas State in 2014-2015.

So maybe competitive at that level.

But I think we have to invest money to get the return we want. It’s like we bought a Cadillac CTS-V, but we are only willing to spend for a Nissan Sentra engine.

We may never spend millions on baseball, but surely we can come up with $150000 or so to recruit a quality assistant or successful D2 coach.

I still think we should consider some one like David Shelton, HC at Walters State. His knowledge of our current TN Juco system, his 10 plus years recruiting the state and his success might translate.

My cousin's son is in his first year as pitching coach for TTU, Mitchell Wright. His brother Kyle was first round draft choice, # 5 overall, for the Atlanta Braves in 2017. Would love to have cuz move here with Bragga. Oh his younger brother is leaning towards TTU.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT