ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Kill steps down from NMSU

MidTennMtneer

All American
Nov 13, 2013
Wow. Did not see this coming. So we will have a new coach plus on our schedule assuming we play them anyway in conference....
TN Tech
Duke
NMSU
UTEP

man...hate this, maybe was his plan to see if he could turn it around and leave on his own terms

His statements from their bowl game made me think something was up. It's a young man's game so I believe him about never wanting a HC gig again but I think he'll coach until his health won't allow him to

Reactions: blueraiderJT
Didn’t he battle a serious health issue just a few years ago.

Hope it’s not another issue like that.

There might not be harder jobs in coaching in any sport anywhere than FBS college football, with the season and recruiting and portal and dealing with university admins and NCAA and fans, etc.

You got to be Coach, dad, cop, fundraiser, politician, GM, all rolled into one all the time.

Especially at a place like NMSU which doesn’t have the funding for support staff that a place like a Bama has.

I’d be looking for the golf course as well.

He left Minnesota due to seizures. While I've seen he is healthy, he may have felt the mentioned stress and just didn't want to take the chance again. NMSU offered him $1.1m to stay and he said no. That says a lot in my book. I'd take a cushy analyst job somewhere or just ask for a suite at the stadium and be a fan till I die.

Health issues but he’s also losing a lot of coaches next year. I think his OC and DC? He saw it would be a tough road ahead and the stress that would come with it. He could go be an asst head coach at a big program and make $500k probably.

Kill did what he wanted to do and it benefited NMSU. They won some games and became relevant again. I don’t like the stepping away this late into the off season. Signing day is over which isn’t what the recruits signed up for, all head coaching jobs are filled and it leaves NMSU in a bad spot. They promoted from within with a retread 20-40 UNLV head coach. It sounds like they will be going back to being a doormat with that hire.

Scotty Walden is going after every player he can get there now. 46 miles up the road. UTEP just got better. Bronco is now at UNM now. He'll be going after em too.

Kill lost his mind in that press conference. Looks like he'll be getting those Margaritas in Mexico after all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT