ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Orlando Sentinel 2015 College Football countdown

What happened to Troy? Was it that they didn't get picked to move on to C-USA or is it something else? They use to own us like we own Vanderbilt.

They will never admit it but I think the rule change about over-signing/sign and place hurt them. Their ability to get questionable but talented players took a hit. Plus things are cyclical at our level. UNT was dominate for a while. Then Troy. Now it's ULL and ASU in the Belt. In a year or two it will be somebody else. Probably USA and Texas St if I had to guess.

They will never admit it but I think the rule change about over-signing/sign and place hurt them. Their ability to get questionable but talented players took a hit. Plus things are cyclical at our level. UNT was dominate for a while. Then Troy. Now it's ULL and ASU in the Belt. In a year or two it will be somebody else. Probably USA and Texas St if I had to guess.

That's what I was thinking as well. For a long time, they were able to get guys in school that some other SBC schools couldn't touch, and they aslo took advantage of a time when the 2 other main powers in the SBC, ULL and ASU, were in disarray.

I also think they took a big hit when USA came into the league. USA competes with them for all sorts of Alabama recruits. Troy got a lot of players from JUCO instead of high school, and that well can dry up quick.

Now, they also have Ga State and Ga Southern to compete with.

I think it'll be very hard for Troy to be consistently competitive from this point forward. I kind of see them as another ULM.

What happened to Troy? Was it that they didn't get picked to move on to C-USA or is it something else? They use to own us like we own Vanderbilt.

A lot of it might be the retirement of Larry Blakeney and a new 1st year head coach.

Vandy is missing an entire offense and their coach is like a deer in the headlights. Franklin ain't walking through that door anymore. I think they are ranked too high. They won 3 games last year and UMASS and Coastal Carolina should have won those games.

Oh, and their starting QB left a week after the spring game. He was no. 1 on the depth chart. After the spring game Robinette's departure, their message board beat guy tweeted "hello 1-11". He quickly took it down but it was funny to read.

Last edited:
Oregon State lost Riley who got hired at Nebraska which is a very stupid hire IMO. They'll wish they still had Pellini after this season. BYU is their first game with a healthy Taysom Hill. Should be a very good game.

wow houston at 89......how the mighty have fallen. i remember when houston and southern miss were battling for BCS spots and top 15 rankings.....

I heard recruiting analyst Barton Simmons on radio the other day and Houston is apparently hitting it out of the park on recruiting this off season. Simmons said the Cougars could have a top 25 class in February.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT