ADVERTISEMENT

Opening the 2023 season @Alabama and @Missouri

Anybody thinking there was going to be some football program momentum coming off back to back bowl wins, there's your problem (schedule + stockstill).

Just remember what happen last time we went to Columbia . There is a reason why they paid us 700k to not play us in the Boro this year!

The Memphis / Missouri game in 2023 will be played in The America’s Center Dome in St. Louis. My last trip to Columbia, MO in 2018, Barry Odom hung 65 points on Mike Norvell. It was ugly.
It appears that Mizzou is no longer in the business of traveling to G5 programs like memphis and Middle Tennessee.

Very good chance we're 1-4 on October 1. If not, we're at best 2-3 by the time the leaves turn.

Also, why conference peers matter - I have no idea who the F that October 4th opponent is. Not one freaking idea just by looking at it. We should be in a conference with peer programs you know instantly just by the logo. I'm not interested in at all in looking it up either.

2023 Middle Tennessee Football Schedule
Sept. 2 at Alabama
Sept. 9 at Missouri
Sept. 16 MURRAY STATE
Sept. 23 COLORADO STATE
Sept. 28 at WKU (Thursday)
Oct. 4 JACKSONVILLE STATE (Wednesday)
Oct. 10 LOUISIANA TECH (Tuesday)
Oct. 17 at Liberty (Tuesday)
Oct. 25 Bye
Nov. 4 at New Mexico State
Nov. 11 FIU
Nov. 18 UTEP
Nov. 25 at Sam Houston State
Dec. 1/2 C-USA Championship Game

Conference games in bold
Home games in ALL CAPS
All dates subject to change

Sep 16th vs Murray St has potential disaster written all over it.

Recently read an article on national sports media site commenting on the likes of UGA & Bama beating Ohio St and most any other P5 team by massive powerful players in the trenches wearing down opponents as the game heads to the 4th quarter. Then those same teams usually end up losing a couple of more games shortly thereafter due to the injuries and bruising delivered by the power of UGA & Bama et al.

In the middle of the season, Bama & UGA will usually beat you two or three times due to the hangover that your overmatched team is just not equipped to deal with. Hence the strategic byes and cupcake homecoming games late in the season by other even really good $EC teams.

unless something serious is done about improving the quality of the players and coaching of the OL, we are liable to go two or three deep, maybe four, at QB. Still clueless after all these years, the head coach will complain about the inability to rush the ball.

All things considered it isn't a bad schedule. Six home games is a plus. If we didn't have two $$ P5 games and had another regional G5 it would be even better.

Mizzou has South Dakota (not State) before us, so they for sure won't be worn down like us. Still think it is a toss up.

Murray State is at Louisville before us so it isn't like they are starting out with cupcakes either. Should...key word there...be a win.

Colorado State is at Deion's place before us. Should..again....be a win.

WKU is at Troy before us. Toss up. For some reason we play them better at Bowling Green than home...but history shows loss.

Jacksonville State plays Eastern Michigan 11 days before us. They finished 9-4 this year. I don't expect JSU to be a slouch either. I can't stand Cheat Rod but JSU won 9 games last year. Also beat Murray 34-3 by the way.

I could easily see 3-2 heading in to October and JSU but also can easily see 2-3 or even 1-4 if we lay an egg with Murray or CSU which is entirely possible.

I do agree and have said for years we should have our FCS opponent later in the year. There is a reason Alabama plays a cupcake late.

Surprised Shafer is still here. He is our 1 quality coach & is the unsung hero for why we've had successful back to back bowl victories. Because of the D's ability to get multiple turnovers year in & out under Shafer, MT has somehow been able to overcome the nation's worst offensive line. If I was Shafer would be totally ticked off his D has to work so hard to keep us in games, & knows coaches on the offense are not held accountable at all. You would think he could find a better paying P5 job by now. Maybe he likes the job security here prior to retirement.

Surprised Shafer is still here. He is our 1 quality coach & is the unsung hero for why we've had successful back to back bowl victories. Because of the D's ability to get multiple turnovers year in & out under Shafer, MT has somehow been able to overcome the nation's worst offensive line. If I was Shafer would be totally ticked off his D has to work so hard to keep us in games, & knows coaches on the offense are not held accountable at all. You would think he could find a better paying P5 job by now. Maybe he likes the job security here prior to retirement.
I've gotten the feeling from things he's said and extensions he's signed that he is content. He's been in the spotlight of being not only a P5 coordinator but HC as well. Been there done that kind of thing. Seems content to be a good DC at a non high pressure institution (is there one more-so than us).

Reactions: MTFAN61
I remember going down to Jacksonville State on a Saturday in 1998 to watch us get beat 7-10. 😆

I think that was the last time we played them.

Does it seem a little crazy to have four straight midweek games? I checked a few other conference mates and it seems all or most teams have a schedule like this.

Does it seem a little crazy to have four straight midweek games?

This was the agreement with the TV partners. Almost all of our midweek games will be in Oct going forward. Everyone's schedule looks like this.

This was the agreement with the TV partners. Almost all of our midweek games will be in Oct going forward. Everyone's schedule looks like this.
I'm all for it. Our own MACtion. I hope the powers that be are coming up with some hashtag for CUSA. We will have Oct. weeknights to ourselves as MAC has Nov. No more competing against Tennessee vs Alabama.
It's honestly easier for me to do weeknight games. I work from home and make my own work schedule so I can get away and still have weekends when wife and kiddos are free.

Should help with student attendance as well. I remember weeknight games back in my day were always fun.

On another note, UT is playing UVA in Nashville Sept 2 so being away is probably a good thing.

I'm all for it. Our own MACtion. I hope the powers that be are coming up with some hashtag for CUSA. We will have Oct. weeknights to ourselves as MAC has Nov. No more competing against Tennessee vs Alabama.
It's honestly easier for me to do weeknight games. I work from home and make my own work schedule so I can get away and still have weekends when wife and kiddos are free.

Should help with student attendance as well. I remember weeknight games back in my day were always fun.

On another note, UT is playing UVA in Nashville Sept 2 so being away is probably a good thing.

I think this is a good idea as well. I'm in the same boat, I make my own schedule, and it's easier for me to come in from Knoxville for an evening and not have to punch a clock on the next weekday morning than it is for me to lose a whole Saturday.

I also think, if we give people are reason to come out, the weekday games tend to draw better than going up against all the other entertainment options on a fall Saturday.

I’m also in the boat of being a fan of weeknight games. I still love Saturday games for tailgating but being able to get off work, head to grab wings at Jefferson’s, then heading over to watch a football game sounds awesome. I think students will turn out and actually stay much longer.

Side note, why aren’t we building more dorms? It’s a great way to build extremely invested fans and we’re way behind there. For example, we’ve got 3,200 living on campus compared to 5,000 at WKU, 5,081 at App, and 5,700 at Georgia Southern.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT