ADVERTISEMENT

O'Hara - could he be our starter next year?

Blueraider_Mike

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2005
Can you guys keep this thread positive...

Despite losing, I thought the kid balled. I also thought he had a lively arm (keep in mind I was watching on my phone so sometimes hard to see arm strength and release. I am sure he didn't get that many reps in the past several weeks and it showed with his accuracy. He looked jacked up and missed some easier throws.

What do you all think about his performance, I really thought it was over when Brent went out. I really enjoyed watching O'Hara play. He made things happen with his legs and I think it opened up a few more things in the passing game which with more reps this week should help him play better if he is to start against Charlotte.

This is just one game, but other than Brent, I can't recall having a QB playing his first game looking that good. I think our O needs a QB who is a better runner to reach its potential.

Last edited:
When I watched O'Hara's film coming out of JUCO, I thought he had starter potential. Love his mobility. He had a Johnny Manziel-like ability to improvise.

From everything I’ve seen and heard, my answer would be yes. Honestly I think we did as well (or better) with him in the game as we did with Brent. The interception, yeah that sucks, but that’s how games go sometimes and FIU isn’t a pushover (unlike WKU).

Reactions: Blueraider_Mike
I thought he was pretty good. He did look green though. I liked his athleticism.

Personally, I don't see how we're in any significantly worse shape without Brent. O'Hara is clearly better than Urzua or some of the others we've trotted out. I like the fact that he brings another dimension with his legs. Brent can scramble a little - this kid is dangerous with the ball. Give him a bunch of reps in practice and see what happens.

Brent may throw for a gazillion yards against Northwest Southeast Kentucky Tech, but the dude is always hurt when we need him.

The best ability a football player can have isn't speed, a strong accurate arm, etc - it's simply being available. And you can't count on Brent.

Who else is on the roster that might be worth a shot?

Well, looking over GBR - the only other 'ship QB we have is Chance Nolan, he's a true freshman.

We did sign John Turner out of Smyrna a year or so ago, but he got moved to RB.

We signed Luke Shiflett out of Georgia last year - he was our highest rated QB recruit in a couple of year - #34 dual threat according to TOS.

But get this - they moved him to WR. Do you know how many WR we have on the roster? 19, according to GBR. 19. 22% of the roster is wide receivers.

Of those 19, only 3 of them have more than 10 catches - 6 games in!!!!

The leading receiver - is a runningback per the roster.

This would be funny if it was another program.

This is negligence. It's like Stock is stocking the roster to favor his son - shut down any possible QB competition, skew the roster around him.

If this was a P5 program, they'd be burning couches outside the stadium.

I expect Shiflett and Turner to move back to QB next year

Way better to have them sitting at the end of the WR bench doing nothing than learning in the QB room, possibly prepping in practice or even getting in some game reps for a QB competition that starts in about 10 weeks.

Why take advantage of the 4-game redshirt rule to get a jump on next years QB when you can have the 18th and 19th WR on the roster?

Way better to have them sitting at the end of the WR bench doing nothing than learning in the QB room, possibly prepping in practice or even getting in some game reps for a QB competition that starts in about 10 weeks.

Why take advantage of the 4-game redshirt rule to get a jump on next years QB when you can have the 18th and 19th WR on the roster?
Amen

Think Shiflett will for sure be back at QB. As for 18th and 19th receivers on roster Shiflett is anything but that. Has been two deep every game. No one expected Brent to go down... Shiflett is the most athletic QB on the roster. Athletic enough to be a legit receiver. And.... good size. 6”2. Close to 200. Not sold on Turner. Think he has big arm from what I hear

In all honesty, how could you say that no one expected Brent to go down. We’ve all been concerned the entire season with the line and his ability to find injury.

I think Ohare did great. As good as Brent could have done.

come on...I get not having any productive WRs with the numbers and that is a problem. But you don't try them out at QB win your still in the race. If Brent can't go, then O'Hara gets the start. Now if we are out of it then by all means lets play some guys for next year.

How many reps has O'Hara had with the first team, outside of the game last night? Maybe 10% in practice? Frankly outside of the interception last night, he played much better than we've become accustomed to seeing out of a back up thrown into a game against comparable competition. He got us into a position to win last night. This season is not over yet. Let's see how this one plays out before we start slitting our wrists.

I don't know if anyone else remembers but Phillip Tanner played safety his freshman year

Just a thought, but maybe there is a 2019 recruiting angle to this. If the team can show they have no solid starter for next year and a look at the roster shows a ton of WR’s maybe they are using this as an angle to get a good QB recruit to commit to MT.

Hey recruit - You could possibly start right away and we have a ton of WR’s we have already been grooming. So just sign and come play here and you got a shot day 1. Actually not a bad strategy. I would like to see what Shiflett can do at QB next year.

come on...I get not having any productive WRs with the numbers and that is a problem. But you don't try them out at QB win your still in the race. If Brent can't go, then O'Hara gets the start. Now if we are out of it then by all means lets play some guys for next year.

I don't think it's a case of "trying them out".

You recruit and give these guys scholarships for a reason - they're expected to be able to play college football at at least an acceptable level. Everyone knows Brent's made of glass, he hasn't played a complete season since he was a freshman. Yet, when he inevitably went down - who came in - some dude named Asher O'Hara. Did any of us on the board know who he was? Maybe he's some unknown natural - a Steamin' Willie Beamon....who knows.

The last 3 guys you actually went out and recruited and gave a full ride to can't be trusted to be an emergency QB?

With the new redshirt rule, there's no reason to not try them out - you can play 4 games and still redshirt.

He did well being thrown in the game. Does have some scramble ability but at maybe 6ft and 175lbs not sure he can make a living like last night.

Now, someone please explain why we have most of our roster at WR and many don’t play. The game is won up front but we find a way to burn so many scholarships on wide outs, which by the way should be the EASIEST postiton to recruit by far.

How many reps has O'Hara had with the first team, outside of the game last night? Maybe 10% in practice? Frankly outside of the interception last night, he played much better than we've become accustomed to seeing out of a back up thrown into a game against comparable competition. He got us into a position to win last night. This season is not over yet. Let's see how this one plays out before we start slitting our wrists.

He played really well given the circumstances. But much like you would expect a green QB he looked like a deer in the headlights anytime a pass play was called where the receiver wasn't pre-determined and he had to go through progressions. But unlike last year's QB's he would look to run instead of just throwing it up.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
He did well being thrown in the game. Does have some scramble ability but at maybe 6ft and 175lbs not sure he can make a living like last night.

Now, someone please explain why we have most of our roster at WR and many don’t play. The game is won up front but we find a way to burn so many scholarships on wide outs, which by the way should be the EASIEST postiton to recruit by far.

Mason Fine, the NT QB is shorter and used his running abilities the first year he played now he is a complete QB.

He may be small but he knows how to run and make guys miss whereas Brent looks like he may trip while running full speed and initiates contact.

I don't think it's a case of "trying them out".

You recruit and give these guys scholarships for a reason - they're expected to be able to play college football at at least an acceptable level. Everyone knows Brent's made of glass, he hasn't played a complete season since he was a freshman. Yet, when he inevitably went down - who came in - some dude named Asher O'Hara. Did any of us on the board know who he was? Maybe he's some unknown natural - a Steamin' Willie Beamon....who knows.

The last 3 guys you actually went out and recruited and gave a full ride to can't be trusted to be an emergency QB?

With the new redshirt rule, there's no reason to not try them out - you can play 4 games and still redshirt.

If we were 1-4 with 3 conference losses you try them out. At this point it’s not over so the best guy plays. If Brent is healthy it’s still his job. If he needs to miss a few you hope O’Hara only has to play in 4 games not to waste a year. These other guys will get their chance beginning in spring.

We're not going to win the conference now. At this point, I'd play OHara until Brent is 100%. Give him all the reps this week, design some QB delays and stretch runs and get him used to the short pass game. We have Joc Bruce just sitting there. Why on earth did he not get into the game. They used him at Marshall and he was very effective. Take the redshirts off of the faster kids and get them in there. Also, Where is Cobb and Dobson? I thought they were supposed to be weapons. This team is such a mystery to me now. We have weapons. They have raw ability and talent. If our coaches aren't tapping into that and aren't using them, then it's on them.

Reactions: BRaiderDave
For starters, I'm voicing support and respect for Brent. It does not seem accurate or fair to make any suggestions or question Brent's toughness and ruggedness. If anything, his injuries stem from being competitive, fearless, and even taken a few hits a game that most QBs avoid. Some better OL protection and help from WRs would likely have helped Brent the last few years. In my view, Brent's seeming tendency to get injured stem from him placing too many demands on his body year after year. When one does that, injuries mount especially if you are not well supported by the offense around you.

It will be interesting to see what the new QB can do. Who will be the new #2 for the upcoming game?

I get it DukeWayne, but part of being an elite player, especially in football, is the ability to stay healthy. Brent clearly cannot do that. I get it, maybe a cheap hit last week, the Syracuse defender falling on top of him, knee issues, shoulder/elbow/arm issues, etc. but it's football. Many other QB's have poor o-line's or not great WR's but they make them better by staying on the field, something Brent has proven in 4-5 years here he cannot do.
Great leader. Great player and can throw it, but he will never be considered to be in that "other level" because he simply could not stay on the field. You gotta learn (and know) when to avoid hits, when to get rid of the ball, etc. He does not excel in that area. He means so much to this team (year in and year out) that he should have learned long ago when to throw it out of bounds, slide, or simply not put himself in position to be hit (cheap, late, whatever).

Yes BlueIsTheNewOrange, that's a good discussion. Overall, I completely agree about QBs playing smart and wise in trying to avoid a few of those extra hits. Specifically with Brent I'm speaking up as some comments seemed to start heading towards calling Brent soft or not quite tough enough. To quote Barney Fife, I was trying to nip it in the bud. With Brent, I would argue that perhaps it's some poor split second decisions or even a little too much of a tough guy attitude that results in the injuries. It's not that he's soft or anything of that sort.

For a long time, I've been concerned for Brent simply as a person placing too many demands on his body to what might be recklessly being a little too tough. He may fight through it now, but it takes a toll on the body he has to live with for many years to come. I speak from experience in this as I was one of those guys who demanded too much from my body in my younger years. I'm still paying for it dearly.

What I don't know is what coach stock's roll in all of this is. Is he encouraging that tough guy reckless attitude, or is he telling Brent to take it easy a little and Brent continues to take the extra hits anyways? This may be for another discussion, but I suspect Brent may do some of the reckless plays on the field out of competitiveness combined with being surrounded by a team that is somewhat below par. Typically when Brent has been out, it hasn't been so pretty for MT. To top it off, Brent wasn't exactly born with the body that attracted the Top 10 teams or even the NFL scouts. While he is good, his success has been in part from giving 120% effort to make up for the lack of that prototypical 6-4 220lbs QB body. Also, I imagine the same went for him in high school. For Siegel HS to have success in football, Brent was going to have to do a whole bunch of it because they have not without him.

Reactions: MT Glenn
All good points and a great discussion. I have no doubt that he is a warrior, and I was not trying to knock him at all, but he either was taught to avoid hits/go out of bounds and ignores it, or he wasn't taught that and encouraged to go for that extra yard, or a little bit of both? Who knows?

Imagine his career here if he could have stayed healthy?

I didn't want to come off questioning any player's toughness.

But this is a physical, collision sport, and some bodies are just not made to withstand repeated pounding. The fact that we haven't gotten a full year out of our QB for the last 3 seasons may indicate that Brent is one of those guys.

Either way, Brent's eligibility is up in about 5 weeks. So, it's a puzzling decision to not be grooming a backup after signing 3 fairly highly touted QBs recently (made even stranger by the way the roster is built with an over-allocation for WR).

Maybe O'Hara is that guy. Maybe he showed up and was just so much better than every other backup option that it made sense to move some guys around.

Or maybe not. Guys can look all-world for a half of football and not be long term solutions.

The lack of success has squandered any benefit of the doubt I may have given this program in the past, and I question every move made when we lose a game.

All good points and a great discussion. I have no doubt that he is a warrior, and I was not trying to knock him at all, but he either was taught to avoid hits/go out of bounds and ignores it, or he wasn't taught that and encouraged to go for that extra yard, or a little bit of both? Who knows?

Imagine his career here if he could have stayed healthy?

None of Brent's injuries have been from him initiating contact and playing physical. The first two were from fat linemen falling on him while he ran for his life because our OL sucked, and the most recent was from a linemen hitting him low while he stood in the pocket to make a throw. Brent's last injury would have resulted in a 15 yard penalty and fine in the NFL, and for good reason. Why are DL players hitting QB's low while they are in the process of throwing a pass?

Regardless, Brent's simply been unable to stay healthy. In 3 seasons under Franklin, he hasn't stayed healthy for a full season. This is particularly perplexing because, prior to meeting Brent Stockstill, Tony Franklin had never had significant injury to a QB under his watch.

That's right. Going all the way back to Kentucky, and through stops at Troy, MT, La. Tech, Auburn, and California....TF had never dealt with significant QB injury under his watch....until now.

So you really have to wonder if Brent's body is just not made for this sport. I hear he couldn't stay healthy in high school either. It's all a shame too because the kid's a great player with great heart. His body just fails him time and time again.

Reactions: BlueIsTheNewOrange
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT