ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL No Decompression Time; Just Right To It

dukewayne

All American
Jul 11, 2008
I've been around and doing these MTSU sports message boards for long enough to know it not always the best idea to post about a big home loss just a few short hours after said loss. Be that as it may, I think I'll throw out a few things anyways instead of sleeping on it first.

For starters: Terrible, just terrible. That was a pathetic performance. It was a sad day when Vandy came to Murfreesboro and so asserted their dominance over MTSU that they essentially hiked their legs and peed all over MT's football field, stadium, MT's uniforms, helmets, the football, shoulder pads, and I think they even got a few mouthpieces. After peeing as the alpha big dog on MT's playcalls sheets, I think I saw that dog turn around and kick up some grass on it also.

I think venting about MT getting dominated was made clear with the aforementioned illustration. Some sarcastic humor was intended even if not successfully.

If someone hasn't already beat me to it, I'll go ahead and say it, yet another great opportunity blown! Even after years of mediocre barely average football with little energy or buzz, a huge crowd turned out for excellent attendance by usual MT standards. Then as usual, MT commenced to go out to midfield 50 yd line, dropped trawl, and laid a giant turd right in the middle of the MT logo. So much for any big crowds returning to Floyd Stadium anytime soon. It appears the dropoff in attendance actually started in the 3rd qtr. It seems people didn't even wait until the next game to express their displeasure with leaving the stadium mostly empty.

A few more points in this rant:

MT did not even look prepared or ready to play with perhaps a few individual exceptions.

The coaches seemed to have no answers.

It almost seems that MT is regressing instead of progressing. How many years into coach stock's tenure before us fans can start to expect progress and growth year over year?

Short of a near miraculous turnaround with good wins at both Syracuse and Minnesota, I just don't see home attendance doing anything but the typical disappointing decline the rest of the season.

Reactions: Hop45 and T2Tool
I had a post about how there is no accountability with a tenured coach but I didn't hit the post button.

I'll wait until we have more losses. While I enjoy people's analysis of our players, the fact is that we shouldn't be rebuilding with a coach in his 11th year. We are going backwards or staying just at the middle. I believe this loss puts stock at 5 games over .500. Sad.

I had a post about how there is no accountability with a tenured coach but I didn't hit the post button.

I'll wait until we have more losses. While I enjoy people's analysis of our players, the fact is that we shouldn't be rebuilding with a coach in his 11th year. We are going backwards or staying just at the middle. I believe this loss puts stock at 5 games over .500. Sad.

You are exactly right in my opinion. For example, it's not like MT has a shortage on O-Lineman on the roster. Coach stock has been here many years and has the number of players one would need to effectively fill out a roster.

Sure, there are plenty of games to go as the season is just starting. That is sort of missing the point though, MT just got dominated by the local rival that most expect or anticipate that MT is capable of playing competitively. So it's a blown opportunity to get a reasonably decent win for MT. Perhaps the bigger loss of the night were the fans who finally turned out. So it sets up a situation where MT losses that momentum and buzz for the big crowds to return for rest of the season. Sure, a reasonable amount will likely show for one or two more home games. A few other games might be fairly sparsely attended.

One of my main points is it's just not the loss vs Vandy, it's the loss of what could have been with attendance at the next couple of home games.

Additionally for coach stock and his lengthy tenure, it would seem that MT will likely be finding more competitive and better performing teams in conf where typically MT could almost count on a couple of reasonably easy wins. For instance, FAU & FIU are not going to be the same 'ole FxU that they have been with their new coaches. Did you see any of that FAU game the other night on TV? Sure it was a pretty big mess for Kiffin's first game, but the usually empty stadium had a huge crowd that really stood out. It looked like a real program with energy. I could be way off base, but it appears that over the next couple of season that C-USA football looks to be improving as a lot of these newer coaches build their teams.

If the offense doesn't get back on track this weekend, The Tony Franklin System Seminar sales may take a hit.

PLAYERS play. A very successful high school coach buddy of mine from Jackson, TN always reminds me during football season...."you don't win the Kentucky Derby riding a mule." Successful recruiting is how you win football games.

I think recruiting is a problem.

Like I mentioned in the other thread, where's our NFL guys? Our guys don't develop, and according to most of the recruiting services, we're not recruiting at the top of the conference, mostly middle of the pack or below (inexcusable with one of the top budgets in the conference).

Sure, there's a Brent Stockstill or Richie James mixed in from time to time, but to use a baseball term - most of our guys are 0.0 WAR guys. Absolute replacement level guys.

That's why we go .500 and why WKU is winning the conference and has people buying Taywan Taylor Titan's jerseys.

The whole program lacks effort.

Admittedly, I'm slightly hesitant to broach this topic at this point, but the continued football disappointments and stagnation warrants frank and open discussion. What I'm describing here regards coach stock's professional coaching approach, personality or personal criticism is not that to which I refer.

For most fans who have followed sports for more than a few years will usually hear a few sports adages. A lot of them are fairly accurate. One of those adages most sports fans have heard is that a team usually reflects or takes on the coaches persona, demeanor, and attitude. While it seems that coach stock is a steady decent person, he just does not strike me as that person in leadership that exudes energy, motivation, or that spark that catches on as a fire throughout his team. I have long thought this to be a problem in leading and inspiring the players and his asst coaches too. I've tried to consider in fairness that his players do seem to appreciate his decency and caring for his players. Also, his steady, almost quiet and reserved demeanor sometimes can be an asset in helping the players to stay calm and not panic if they get down early in a game. These may be legit elements to stock's coaching, but the totality of results over the years just aren't yielding successful on the field results.

The long term results on the field appear to be more in keeping with that persona or presence that lacks inspired leadership. Accordingly, it appears more often than not that the team seems to be playing uninspired football. The team during games all too frequently over the years has reflected that almost laid back approach lacking in sustained motivation and energy.

How many games have you looked out at the team on the field and wonder where is the sense of urgency? Where is that fire that should be spreading throughout the players? Usually if it is seen, it is because of some of those unique rare extremely talented, self motivated, and competitive players who bring it onto the field that sometimes rubs off on some of the other players. K Byard is a perfect example of that type of player. I'm not sure how much the coaching staff developed him. Obviously, they gave him the opportunity. I imagine they provided at least some support and instruction along the way, but it appears to me that a player like Byard made it to where he is at because he brought that inspiration, motivation, energy, and drive with him when he arrived on campus. Richie James stands out in this regard in my opinion. To a lesser degree, Shane Tucker exhibits some of that self motivation and natural leadership.

I know this has been another dreaded lengthy discussion, but it is a topic that has been screaming for attention for years. It would be so nice to see MT football consistently play games with intensity, a sense of urgency, attention to detail, decisiveness, motivation, and that inspired spark of a group of players on fire succeeding together. I just don't know if that will happen with coach stock at the helm. As long as coach stock is the HC, that dynamic of a coach and his team is in play.

Reactions: VARaider84
Slightly off topic but I am going to ask this question in regards to the music at the game. I have been a fan of all types of music including hip hop, country, rap, bluegrass, and rock but I get a little agitated when foul lyrics are played over a public PA. Was my ears deceiving me when I heard some foul language from some of the rap songs playing over the PA last Saturday?

JDB, if you are correct another glaring problem with "game management". I'm clearly not against adults using "adult language" any more than I am against them using "adult beverages". But, you try not to offend those whose whose beliefs may be different. No need to play anything over the PA which is obviously offensive to some fans.

Game Management? Why not enough ticket takers for the expected large crowd? Why sell parking in BRAA areas to the extent that BRAA members have to park elsewhere? and what about the fireworks? Did we advertise fireworks after the game regardless of who won? If not no need for the fireworks to celebrate the loss. and if we expect to shoot off fireworks after a score please make damn sure we score. Don't do crap which makes our game management the laffingstock of the entire college FB world.

As for Coach Stock: Even though he came in as a proven recruiter (seen evidence of that?) there was a reason he hadn't moved up in the coaching world before MT and Massaro came calling.

I've talked to the man twice. Obviously not a "people person" if talking to me, a nobody, intimidates him. When speaking at a press conference, at a BRAA function, etc. he is clearly more uncomfortable than many in such a role. Just not an excellent PR person for MT and his program, something we desperately need.

As for his demeanor on the sideline. There are certain expected parameters for a FB coach during a game. If you are not going to make an attempt to fit within those parameters you need to be damn good. It's just like going against the "sheet" on extra points. If you go against the norms you need to be successful. Stock seems to make no attempt to "act like a coach". I'm afraid he won't change at this stage, had he been at a higher-profile job IMHO he would have been run off by now.

JDB, if you are correct another glaring problem with "game management". I'm clearly not against adults using "adult language" any more than I am against them using "adult beverages". But, you try not to offend those whose whose beliefs may be different. No need to play anything over the PA which is obviously offensive to some fans.

Game Management? Why not enough ticket takers for the expected large crowd? Why sell parking in BRAA areas to the extent that BRAA members have to park elsewhere? and what about the fireworks? Did we advertise fireworks after the game regardless of who won? If not no need for the fireworks to celebrate the loss. and if we expect to shoot off fireworks after a score please make damn sure we score. Don't do crap which makes our game management the laffingstock of the entire college FB world.

As for Coach Stock: Even though he came in as a proven recruiter (seen evidence of that?) there was a reason he hadn't moved up in the coaching world before MT and Massaro came calling.

I've talked to the man twice. Obviously not a "people person" if talking to me, a nobody, intimidates him. When speaking at a press conference, at a BRAA function, etc. he is clearly more uncomfortable than many in such a role. Just not an excellent PR person for MT and his program, something we desperately need.

As for his demeanor on the sideline. There are certain expected parameters for a FB coach during a game. If you are not going to make an attempt to fit within those parameters you need to be damn good. It's just like going against the "sheet" on extra points. If you go against the norms you need to be successful. Stock seems to make no attempt to "act like a coach". I'm afraid he won't change at this stage, had he been at a higher-profile job IMHO he would have been run off by now.
Massaro and McPhee eliminated any incentive whatsoever for him to change or improve with that contract.

...........Game Management? Why not enough ticket takers for the expected large crowd? Why sell parking in BRAA areas to the extent that BRAA members have to park elsewhere?

What then are the gametime benefits for a BRAA member? Seems to me that the school would want to make sure members are taken care of as they are the money. I do understand wanting to take care of the possible new fans that were there but sheesh.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT