ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL NIT it is

I wonder what Syracuse would have to do, to avoid a bid. They snubbed about 10 teams to put them and Oklahoma in.

I think we could have survived the Marshall game. The USM game did us in. It all is null and void now.

So.

Let's show them what they missed by not picking us and just win the NIT.

33 at-large bids went to money conferences. 2 went to the A10 and 1 to Mountain West.

Surprised no one has brought this up... We looked great with Sims starting and the same ole when he wasnt. I hope Kermit looks to the future and starts Sims in the NIT.

Rpi is apparently a useless metric. The greedy corrupt committee only use it when they can justify getting a p5 team in, otherwise its ignored.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Hilarious to see USC out and Syracuse in. Beyond incompetent committee. How is the USC snub not being discussed? Might be the biggest snub ever. They finished second in PAC 12 and lost in tournament final to Arizona. WTF?????

That man will be an amazing Blue Raider ambassador for life. No doubt.
I'm sure he's constantly thinking about the decision he made to go to Memphis and then Alabama. We were always there. If nothing else, he earned his degree with the Tide and should always be proud of that. Some day soon we are going to be preferred over sitting the bench in a Power 5 conference. In Kermit I trust.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
Listened to Kermit on 104.5 the zone this morning. He is audibly upset about the criteria of the selection committee. Said several times how much harder it is going to be with the quadrant system and how difficult it is to get those quadrant wins when teams wont come to play at schools like MT.

I've heard many of interviews with Kermit and this one is the first one where I can hear his frustration.

I know we had the opportunities to win the tournament. I know that our losses weren't the best at the end of the season but we had true road wins and a difficult schedule. Murray State is a quality opponent...we get no respect and neither do they.

Personally, my agitation with college athletics is getting pretty high. I don't know what the solution is. Maybe Millennials lack of interest over time will just make the game collapse on itself with lack of interest and it will have to start over. My neighbor is a supposed big basketball fan of Kansas. His daughter is considering Wichita State. I was like what a great basketball powerhouse and he responded "they're ok". I looked at him and schooled him.....nice guy but an idiot.

Sorry, rambling. Perception is everything. Marshall, WKU, ODU, MT, and UAB need to get together and put together a 2+ bid league. Running a race with barbells on our ankles.

YOU CAN'T BE PERFECT EVERY SEASON - REGARDLESS IF YOU HAVE F_U or UTSA schools with high school gyms. You will have off nights!

Listened to Kermit on 104.5 the zone this morning. He is audibly upset about the criteria of the selection committee. Said several times how much harder it is going to be with the quadrant system and how difficult it is to get those quadrant wins when teams wont come to play at schools like MT.

I've heard many of interviews with Kermit and this one is the first one where I can hear his frustration.

I know we had the opportunities to win the tournament. I know that our losses weren't the best at the end of the season but we had true road wins and a difficult schedule. Murray State is a quality opponent...we get no respect and neither do they.

Personally, my agitation with college athletics is getting pretty high. I don't know what the solution is. Maybe Millennials lack of interest over time will just make the game collapse on itself with lack of interest and it will have to start over. My neighbor is a supposed big basketball fan of Kansas. His daughter is considering Wichita State. I was like what a great basketball powerhouse and he responded "they're ok". I looked at him and schooled him.....nice guy but an idiot.

Sorry, rambling. Perception is everything. Marshall, WKU, ODU, MT, and UAB need to get together and put together a 2+ bid league. Running a race with barbells on our ankles.

YOU CAN'T BE PERFECT EVERY SEASON - REGARDLESS IF YOU HAVE F_U or UTSA schools with high school gyms. You will have off nights!
I agree we need a meeting of the minds this wont fly. I would like to know how we fix it.

The most glaring thing I see is Oklahoma. 1 and done freshman phenom on a mediocre team with 15 losses is more important that literally 10+ hard working TEAMS in smaller name conferences. School size isn't important, recent history isn't important, scheduling "up" isn't important. Such BS. Let's win this thing despite the disrespect.

To be fair, we had our chances with Auburn, USC, and Miami.

So at the end of the day, you have to win those games against the likes of Auburn, USC, Miami, etc....or you have to win your tournament.

I personally am OK with the committee's decision. We had our chances, both in OOC and the CUSA tournament, and we didn't get it done.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hop45
The most glaring thing I see is Oklahoma. 1 and done freshman phenom on a mediocre team with 15 losses is more important that literally 10+ hard working TEAMS in smaller name conferences. School size isn't important, recent history isn't important, scheduling "up" isn't important. Such BS. Let's win this thing despite the disrespect.

Oklahoma has ZERO road wins.

I'm not ok with the selection committee at all. After the Southern Miss loss, I figured it was the NIT for MT. What irritates me is that the NCAA committee clearly placed P5 (P7 in bball?) instead of quality teams from any other conference. I was prepared to accept it say if teams like St Mary's had gotten an at large bid. MT not even getting close to getting in so that 2-8 in last 10 games Oklahoma, Syracuse, Ariz St can get in makes me sick. That I'm not good with.

Space, I, like you, am reading the committee to mean that Marshall and Southern Miss losses were irrelevant. Short of winning the conference tourney, MT's fate was sealed during the holidays in Hawaii. Afterall, the committee chair asserted as much on national tv.

I'm getting real sick of all the corruption.

I know basketball (and football) is just a game. I try and usually do enjoy the ride of pulling for my alma mater. Sometimes, I even sort of view it as a sort of hobby. I then try to keep it with such perspective. Lately though, college athletics is starting to become like so many other areas of our society. For years, college sports has been a sort of respite, a break, from all of the other aggravations and general garbage that occurs in this old world. Sadly like most other things lately, it appears that the corruption of the NCAA is revealing itself to be ubiquitous. With the level of corruption and garbage going on with the NCAA, college sports has started to lose it's appeal to me the last few days. Right now, disgusting is the term that comes to mind regarding college sports rather than the term enjoyable.

Sure, there have been problems with the NCAA over the years. Us folks of MT know all too well of the favoritism, bias, and slanted influence for the power conferences. Football has been up against this agenda for a long time. With the NCAA tourney, it seemed basketball at least provided some shot or opportunity to compete for and with the best. These last few years are starting to demonstrate that even the basketball tourney is rigged to such a degree that it is now almost impossible for the non power conference programs to fairly compete and succeed. They are no longer even trying to disguise their bias! They are now just shutting out non power conf programs. Even if you do win your conference tournament, your seeding makes it nearly impossible to fairly compete within the tourney. For non power conference teams, a great season and conf tourney championship might get you a 12 seed. Rarely do you see any seeds better than 11 extended to non power conf teams.

It's becoming increasingly difficult to really get into and enjoy college sports with the level of disgusting corruption. In my opinion when huge amounts of money intersect with such bias and favoritism, corruption has entered the picture. A lot of it may not be out in the open, but it goes on behind closed doors. Isn't that what has started to be revealed back at the start of the season with the massive scandal and FBI investigation. Maybe a bunch of people going to jail and/or being thrown out of the sport will result in much needed reforms in college athletics. Right now, it does not appear that the powers that be of the NCAA are getting it. If any of their rhetoric proves to be true, the powers of the NCAA are wanting to double down on the currently rigged system! If that ends up becoming the reality instead of cleaning out the corruption, they will drive away massive amounts of fans, and soon.

Clyde,

It seems that for months, you have rightly been calling out the NCAA trend or movement towards almost total denial of at-large bids for non power conferences. Murray St is one example you used that stands out in my mind. It is an accurate example.

Recalling MT's at-large bid in the SunBelt, I had still been thinking the NCAA left open the door for "mid-major" conferences even though they may have closed the door on at-large bids for "low major" conferences. Other examples such as South Alabama a handful of years ago in addition to MVC teams and the rise of programs such VCU, Gonzaga, Butler, and even George Mason's run had me thinking the NCAA was at least leaving the door open for some at-large bids to non power conferences in the last 10 years. The last few years have suggested the open door might be closing. In my opinion, this year the NCAA just revealed that they have virtually closed the door on almost all at-large bids for those non power conferences. I use the term virtually as they appear to let in a couple of extreme examples, but that is it.

After this season, it has become clear to me that even C-USA has little to no chance for an at large bid. A sad situation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT