ADVERTISEMENT

LADY RAIDER BB NCAA Tournament: Middle Tennessee (28-4) vs Colorado (23-8), ESPNNews, 6PM, Saturday, March 18, 2023

What is South Dakota State and Florida Gulf Coast doing different to us that allows them to win games in the tournament? I wouldn't say those teams have more talent than us, equal perhaps as I would expect a toss up in those matchups. Hard to tell if it is preparation for tournament games or maybe just a continuation of unlucky breaks like getting matched up with a team that's clicking late in the season.
A combination of factors I think. Also, Colorado hit 13 threes. A lot of those were wide open. If that doesn’t happen, the game is close (or we may have even won). Sometimes things don’t go your way in a lot of areas and they didn’t yesterday

What is South Dakota State and Florida Gulf Coast doing different to us that allows them to win games in the tournament? I wouldn't say those teams have more talent than us, equal perhaps as I would expect a toss up in those matchups. Hard to tell if it is preparation for tournament games or maybe just a continuation of unlucky breaks like getting matched up with a team that's clicking late in the season.
Or Toledo. They comfortably their 5/12 match-up over Iowa St

Or Toledo. They comfortably their 5/12 match-up over Iowa St
For those saying “well maybe it’s the player quality” - all of these upset winners fit the same mold of player we do! Something has to change for us to get to the success we want to have.

It truly is a head scratcher. They went on a tear in the WNIT last year, even beat Toledo on their home court and returned almost the same cast. They were playing well in the early part of the season and looked good doing it, but later in the season, they were struggling in conference play even though they were winning something just seemed off.

These tournament blowouts have got to come to an end and we need some wins there. These performances may have an impact if we have another season like this year's w/ls and end up losing in conference tournament, it would not surprise to be left out. I'm not so sure with the seeding it might have happened this year.

I appreciate Whittington and Malashka and will miss their efforts. Every team but one in that tournament loses their last game. I just wish the loss had come later in the process.

It truly is a head scratcher. They went on a tear in the WNIT last year, even beat Toledo on their home court and returned almost the same cast. They were playing well in the early part of the season and looked good doing it, but later in the season, they were struggling in conference play even though they were winning something just seemed off.

These tournament blowouts have got to come to an end and we need some wins there. These performances may have an impact if we have another season like this year's w/ls and end up losing in conference tournament, it would not surprise to be left out. I'm not so sure with the seeding it might have happened this year.

I appreciate Whittington and Malashka and will miss their efforts. Every team but one in that tournament loses their last game. I just wish the loss had come later in the process.
And it's not like we haven't shown we can compete and beat very good P5 teams. Vandy x2 last year, Illinois last year, Wake Forest last year, Louisville by 18 this year... The strength of this team gives me a lot of hope for next year considering we have so much of our team coming back at this point.

Maybe Rick puts much pressure on them come NCAA tournament time. Did anyone else see that snippet of the pregame speech where he was telling them they could be one of the greatest MT teams of all time? Seems to me like that's unneeded pressure to put on them. There is already a ton of pressure that goes with these games. Why add extra? Could explain them being cold from 3 point land. Doesn't excuse the terrible defense though.

Maybe Rick puts much pressure on them come NCAA tournament time. Did anyone else see that snippet of the pregame speech where he was telling them they could be one of the greatest MT teams of all time? Seems to me like that's unneeded pressure to put on them. There is already a ton of pressure that goes with these games. Why add extra? Could explain them being cold from 3 point land. Doesn't excuse the terrible defense though.
The defense was the biggest issue in the Colorado game. Their shooters were just open left and right and, unfortunately, made their shots.

The defense was the biggest issue in the Colorado game. Their shooters were just open left and right and, unfortunately, made their shots.
Like was said earlier that may have been Matt's strategy to start. Knowing the physical interior strength of Colorado & considering the small number of outside shots they normally took he could have had our perimeter players sink off to protect our post area. I saw on more than one occasion this past year we would target a specific player & leave them totally wide open. Many times it worked fine. If that was the case it certainly didn't work against Colorado. And if that was the strategy it should have been dropped after 1st quarter.
Or alternatively we were just slow to react all game long, kind of like "deer in headlights" syndrome. Totally stunned by what was going on. I tend to hope it was the former, not the latter.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
In the meantime Louisville plays Texas in the 2nd round tonight. Interesting to see how the team we destroyed a few months ago continues to compete on this evening's biggest stage.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
At the end of basketball season the Insell's need to do 1 thing & 1 thing only. Call coach Jeff Walz at Louisville & ask him what he does specifically to prepare his team for NCAA tournament action. Listen intently & take notes in triplicate!
Then drop whatever the heck you've been doing for the last 15 years, & put his words into full use.

At the end of basketball season the Insell's need to do 1 thing & 1 thing only. Call coach Jeff Walz at Louisville & ask him what he does specifically to prepare his team for NCAA tournament action. Listen intently & take notes in triplicate!
Then drop whatever the heck you've been doing for the last 15 years, & put his words into full use.
This. This x100. Jeff is a close friend of this staff, and you know he will tell them whatever they'd like to know.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT