ADVERTISEMENT

LADY RAIDER BB NCAA Tournament: Middle Tennessee (28-4) vs Colorado (23-8), ESPNNews, 6PM, Saturday, March 18, 2023

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
About Colorado:

Arena (capacity)..................CU Events Center (11,064)
First Year of Competition..................................1974-75
All-Time Record .................................... 873-603 (.591)
All-Time Conference Record ................. 359-379 (.486)
All-Time Pac-12 Record .....79-132 (.374), 12th season
NCAA Appearances ................................................... 14 .1988 • 89 • 92 • 93 • 94 • 95 • 96 • 97 • 2001 • 02 • 03 • 04 • 13 • 22
NCAA Tournament Record ........................ 17-14 (.548)
Best Pac-12 Finish ..................................3rd (2022-23)

The Buffs reached 20 wins in back-to-back seasons for the first time since the 2011-12 and 2012-13 seasons. CU improved five spots in its preseason projections, moving from eighth in the preseason polls to third. Senior Forward/Center Quay Miller, 6-3, an All-Pac-12 selections, is leading CU this season with 13.7 points and 8.7 rebounds per game. Sophomore Center Aaronette Vonleh, 6-3, (12.0 ppg, 4.6 rpg), was tabbed as the conference’s Co-Most Improved Player. Senior Guard Jaylyn Sherrod, 5-7 (11.1 ppg, 4.9 apg, 2.4 spg) started the conference tournament week as one of four players in the NCAA averaging 10.0 points, 5.0 assists and 2.0 steals per game and was both All-Pac-12 and All-Defensive selections. Other likely starters are 5-11 Junior Guard Frida Foreman from Denmark and 6-1 Guard Tayanna Jones, a 5th year player, who played her first two years at Georgetown University.

Last edited:
Wonder who Alexis will have as the assignment. Also, I think both teams will feel slighted by the seeding. Colorado is probably better than a 6 seed and we are probably better than an 11. All things considered, I like how we match up but they are a very good team so it will be a tough test. Hopefully the "underdog" role and - hopefully - big contingent of MT fans will help. We averaged 3,559 at home this year and they averaged 1,660... so the fan bases are significantly different in size, though I am sure they will have a good contingent in NC as well.

Last edited:
ESPN Article: https://www.espn.com/womens-college...2023-region-preview-bold-predictions#Seattle4

Where's the upset in this corner of the bracket?

Creme:
The upset I feel strongest about in the entire tournament is 11th-seeded Middle Tennessee over No. 3 seed Colorado. The Blue Raiders play at a fast pace, share the ball and have an array of good shooters. For good measure they also have 6-foot-6 Anastasiia Boldyreva to patrol the paint. She might help neutralize Quay Miller and Aaronette Vonleh, while Jalynn Gregory, Courtney Whitson and Savannah Wheeler run around making 3-pointers.

Philippou: I like Charlie's MTSU pick. I'll also have my eye on Louisville-Drake. The 12th-seeded Bulldogs nearly took down Iowa at the beginning of the season (falling by six in overtime) and have a balanced, highly efficient offense. No. 5 seed Louisville is known for its defensive intensity and is coming off an ACC tournament championship game appearance, but has also been shaky at times this season. Which unit will prevail? The Cardinals' defense will need to be on point for them to avoid an upset here.

Which four teams will advance to the Sweet 16?
Creme:
Stanford, Iowa, Duke, Texas
Philippou: Stanford, Iowa, Texas, Middle Tennessee
Voepel: Stanford, Iowa, Louisville, Colorado

I personally think Sweet 16 is absolutely doable. My brackets have us against Iowa then and that is a tall tall order against a simply more mature and experienced team.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
Wonder who Alexis will have as the assignment. Also, I think both teams will feel slighted by the seeding. Colorado is probably better than a 6 seed and we are probably better than an 11. All things considered, I like how we match up but they are a very good team so it will be a tough test. Hopefully the "underdog" role and - hopefully - big contingent of MT fans will help. We averaged 3,559 at home this year and they averaged 1,660... so the fan bases are significantly different in size, though I am sure they will have a good contingent in NC as well.
Was wondering same thing about Whittington's assignment. Almost thinking put her on Sherrod. She's leading the team in assists which their 2 big center's are definitely relying on for getting the ball & scoring. She appears to be the straw that stirs the drink for them. Since Miller is their big scorer we could double team her with Whitson & Malashka down low, or Whitson & Boldyreva for whenever they do get it on the blocks. Could be totally wrong. 1 thing I'll say about our scouting reports is the assistants usually figure an effective game plan more times than not. Look forward to seeing our strategy.

Was wondering same thing about Whittington's assignment. Almost thinking put her on Sherrod. She's leading the team in assists which their 2 big center's are definitely relying on for getting the ball & scoring. She appears to be the straw that stirs the drink for them. Since Miller is their big scorer we could double team her with Whitson & Malashka down low, or Whitson & Boldyreva for whenever they do get it on the blocks. Could be totally wrong. 1 thing I'll say about our scouting reports is the assistants usually figure an effective game plan more times than not. Look forward to seeing our strategy.
I agree. Our assistant coaches are, like Rick says all the time, a major strength - best in the country, perhaps.

I personally think Sweet 16 is absolutely doable. My brackets have us against Iowa then and that is a tall tall order against a simply more mature and experienced team.
Here's some fun numerology about the sweet 16 for us. Rick's last NCAA victory was in 2007. Officially 16 years ago from right now. Does that mean it's in the basketball forecast that our 1st victory in 16 years in the NCAA could also be destined to be our 1st Sweet 16 in the making?
It's a big reach of course, but a fun one anyway.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
Saw an interview Rick had on a podcast recently. He said Matt called him at 4:30 in the morning a few days ago to tell Rick what he found while reviewing Colorado games & was excited on how we could use that against them. Would like to know what that "a-ha!" moment was that Matt discovered.
Also really like how it seemed a "light switch" turned on for the team offensively during the conference tournament. It was the best we worked the ball inside/outside all year, & we scored 2 of 3 games in the 80's. Not only was our 3 point shooting better, but our inside game as well. Colorado & Duke are both very good defensive teams, but if we can maintain a resemblance of that ball movement there's a good chance to see our scoring output at least in the 70's. Combining a reinvigorated offense with our defensive intensity will make us even more dangerous. The key will be maintaining our focus for 4 quarters. It was better in Frisco, & should be even stronger in Durham. I think we're elevating our play at just the right time, & really coming into our own.

Terrible call at end of second quarter results in a 7 point swing due to bad rebounding… and we’re down 14 instead of 7.

Hope the lady Raiders can get themselves under control & don't suffer an embarrassment tonight. Colorado dominating from deep so far. Will take an amazing comeback

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT