ADVERTISEMENT

MWC getting blown up

sWiley

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2012
Boise, Fresno, Colorado state, SDSU joinin pac12 next year

This still leaves pac12 short 2 schools so look for MWC to lose two more after that, so six total.

Seems likely they will backfill with NMSU and UTEP. We should honestly just sit tight after the Missouri state add but I’m sure these clowns just won’t be able to resist the almighty Tarleton State.

Maybe Tarleton ends up in MWC. Or even pac12 who knows.

Additional schools could also come from AAC. Would not be surprised to see any of Rice, Tulsa, or UTSA on that list.

Memphis too if west Tenn teachers fails to secure Big12 or ACC - which I expect them to hold out for.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpaceRaider
Initial thought before digging, IDK how they will pull this off.

From what I've read the scheduling agreement for 2024 (which passed the renewal date for 2025 without an agreement) stated that if the PAC2 wanted MWC schools, the schools would have to pay the $18m "poaching" exit fee. Per school. But if they took all MWC schools, a la a merger, there are zero fees.

I've seen several places say the PAC2 does not want Hawaii or SJSU. So who knows.

I'd try and go after the Dakotas/Montanas too.

Supposedly when SDSU was thinking of joining the PAC before the final exodus, UNT, UTSA, and TX St were on the MWC wish list. I could see the MWC going after them or even the PAC. Remember, the MWC media deal is $4m/yr for CBS/FOX and runs through '25 season. But they also just signed a deal with TNT that adds to that and is several years. So there is opportunity to get this done quick for the next MWC deal and it could affect more than just CUSA.

The new AAC schools are making $3.5m so while they may not run, UTEP/NMSU would and TX St might as the SBC deal is just under $1m. UTEP/NMSU also signed a GOR with CUSA through '27, so they'll have to pay out of that too. That's $2.4m right now (800k per year).

If I were Judy, I'd be on the horn now talking to the PAC and MWC. Not only about losing schools, but merger with east/west, etc. There are lots of options.

Last edited:
Initial thought before digging, IDK how they will pull this off.

From what I've read the scheduling agreement for 2024 (which passed the renewal date for 2025 without an agreement) stated that if the PAC2 wanted MWC schools, the schools would have to pay the $18m "poaching" exit fee. Per school. But if they took all MWC schools, a la a merger, there are zero fees.

I've seen several places say the PAC2 does not want Hawaii or SJSU. So who knows.

I'd try and go after the Dakotas/Montanas too.

Supposedly when SDSU was thinking of joining the PAC before the final exodus, UNT, UTSA, and TX St were on the MWC wish list. I could see the MWC going after them or even the PAC. Remember, the MWC media deal is $4m/yr for CBS/FOX and runs through '25 season. But they also just signed a deal with TNT that adds to that and is several years. So there is opportunity to get this done quick for the next MWC deal and it could affect more than just CUSA.

The new AAC schools are making $3.5m so while they may not run, UTEP/NMSU would and TX St might as the SBC deal is just under $1m. UTEP/NMSU also signed a GOR with CUSA through '27, so they'll have to pay out of that too. That's $2.4m right now (800k per year).

If I were Judy, I'd be on the horn now talking to the PAC and MWC. Not only about losing schools, but merger with east/west, etc. There are lots of options.
They won’t do a merger. Way too much money coming from those leaving. I am willing to bet the MWC loses 2 more and they backfill with UTEP/NMSU. If I were in charge I’d then add Montana and Montana St to get back to 10.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
I like UTEP and NMSU but it wouldn’t be the worst thing to lose them. If that’s all that CUSA loses I would stay at 10 for a while.
I think losing utep and nmsu would be good for all parties involved. I see them as a great fit for the mountain west. Pac 12 still needs 2 more. Should they look to the AAC then that might open a door…..

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
It'll be interesting for sure. The PAC has to add at least 2 more to meet FBS requirements. The MWC is down to 8 now, so they will want to add for sure, but will have to if they lose anyone else.

What I'm really interested to see is how all this will affect the CFP by essentially having a G6. Granted it is just a few schools added to the current 64 (OSU, WSU, and if they add any FCS) but still. 6 conferences vying for one spot is wild. Could they make the right choices and build the PAC up to where the CFP (ESPN) says you get the 5th spot and lock the rest of us out? Crazy times ahead.

Dennis Dodd says Memphis and UTSA are on the list for the P2/6.

Might create a nice WKU/MTSU sized hole in the AAC.
So the AAC leftovers would be:

UAB
Charlotte
FAU
ECU
NT
Navy
Rice
USF
Tulane
Temple
Tulsa
Wichita State-BB

An upgrade from CUSA and reunited with 6 former conference mates. I would miss Liberty and LT.

Reactions: coachchia and Hop45
The AAC will go after Air Force hot and heavy before us so they can have all the FBS service academies. If they lose 3 (UTSA, Memphis, Tulane), they can add Air Force to hit 12 and call it a day.

Gotta remember they added extra last time to cover their tail from future deflections. Charlotte and FAU weren't initially on their radar.

I still think having schools in Washington and Tennessee in the same conference is ridiculous. Delaware and New Mexico is crazy too.
If I were the PAC, I'd add a Texas school for recruiting, but that's as far east as I'd go.

The AAC will go after Air Force hot and heavy before us so they can have all the FBS service academies. If they lose 3 (UTSA, Memphis, Tulane), they can add Air Force to hit 12 and call it a day.

Gotta remember they added extra last time to cover their tail from future deflections. Charlotte and FAU weren't initially on their radar.

I still think having schools in Washington and Tennessee in the same conference is ridiculous. Delaware and New Mexico is crazy too.
If I were the PAC, I'd add a Texas school for recruiting, but that's as far east as I'd go.
If I were the PAC I would be pushing hard for Cal, Stanford, SMU and either Tulane or Memphis. Cal and Stanford are only making 20 million a year in the ACC and SMU is making nothing right now. The current group the PAC has is estimated to get 10 million per year. They would be closing in on the 20 with those adds imo. Much less travel for Calford and they bring along some academically minded universities (if Tulane is chosen over Memphis).

So the AAC leftovers would be:

UAB
Charlotte
FAU
ECU
NT
Navy
Rice
USF
Tulane
Temple
Tulsa
Wichita State-BB

An upgrade from CUSA and reunited with 6 former conference mates. I would miss Liberty and LT.
I would rather be in the Sun Belt. We have nothing in common with the service academies, Rice, Tulane, and Tulsa. Of course some of those could move out too to the west. I also don't think we have any business being a conference with Texas schools so UAB and FAU would be the only bright spots of that league.

I would rather be in the Sun Belt. We have nothing in common with the service academies, Rice, Tulane, and Tulsa. Of course some of those could move out too to the west. I also don't think we have any business being a conference with Texas schools so UAB and FAU would be the only bright spots of that league.
Sun Belt is my dream. I worry that bridge has burned but it fits us best geographically, culturally, budget wise (minus ULM), etc.
JMU, App St, Marshall, S Miss, Troy, TX St, Coastal. That's a heck of a great schedule.

I'd rather be in the Sunbelt as well.

We're in the worst conference in FBS, literally any one of them is a step up (even the MAC, ever so slightly IMHO). I'm hoping enough dominos fall in order to get us anywhere but here.

If I were the PAC I would be pushing hard for Cal, Stanford, SMU and either Tulane or Memphis. Cal and Stanford are only making 20 million a year in the ACC and SMU is making nothing right now. The current group the PAC has is estimated to get 10 million per year. They would be closing in on the 20 with those adds imo. Much less travel for Calford and they bring along some academically minded universities (if Tulane is chosen over Memphis).

Cal and Stanford had to sign the same paperwork that is keeping FSU and Clemson stuck there. The cost to leave, if it is even possible, would be prohibitive.

I think what's happening is that the P-whatever is trying to line up some central time zone schools (Tulane, Memphis, UTSA, whoever) to get to 12 - (6 west, 6 central/east) and make that the defacto best G5.

If they can't make those #'s work, they call up AFA and UNLV and get to 8 and stay there and see what else bubbles up over time.

There is so much uncertainty surrounding ACC, Pac2 becoming Pac8/10/12, and the potential for Big12/SEC expansion for me to feel comfortable with any scenario.

I could see a situation where Memphis / USF / Tulane / ECU / Tulsa end up in Pac 10 / Big12 / ACC (depending on how things shake out). If those guys leave, the AAC is just the old CUSA 2.0 with FAU, NT, etc. And is that any difference than playing SHSU / UTEP?

If you can't make AAC with a handful of the "bigger programs", Sun Belt (on paper) is better. But if MT turns down AAC, AAC will pull someone.

No easy answers.

This right here is my biggest fear. All speculation but some good speculation as the ACC presidents met this week and supposedly discussed settlements. Will all this happen, probably not.

But MT being locked out of the CFP is a major worry. The current format is only for this year and next. So we aren't even guaranteed then. Then after three more seasons in '28 there is a "look in" to determine if the economics or anything else needs modified.

The PAC is on the way to having the best G6 conference period. It could seriously hurt the rest of us down the road. Estimates right now are $10-12m for the PAC media deal. The AAC won't get near the $7m they do now for their next one, nor will the MWC get their $4m without Boise, while the rest of us sit at $800k-$1m at the most.

Maybe this is just a guess, but I imagine our administration knew some more movement was coming quickly. We saw the urgency to get things going in a hurry here… getting rid of Stockstill, bringing in a big name coach in Mason, getting facilities updated, creating as much excitement as possible. Not saying any of this will necessarily make a difference this round but at least I feel like we’re finally trying to better our standing in college football.

What’s everyone’s opinion on revenue sharing that’s coming? Will it matter what Conference for him once that happens?
I don't think you'll ever see revenue sharing on the level the NFL does. Alabama doesn't THINK they benefit from sharing that much revenue with UAB

Did I hear correctly that OSU and Wazzu are using their money to pay exit fees?

Why not just join the MWC and keep the money? A lot of wasted money to just keep the name.

Reactions: MT Glenn

Why not just join the MWC and keep the money? A lot of wasted money to just keep the name.
They don't want the whole MWC from what I've seen. It's about choosing the right teams to maximize media $. Just adding OSU/WSU to the MWC wouldn't hit $10m by itself. Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico for example don't add what Memphis or Tulane would. The MWC parts are worth more than the whole.
Go ask Cal and Stanford. Make them say know, they would save money with travel expenses, and they only get 30% (going off memory) media money.
They signed the lengthy ACC Grant of Rights. So unless FSU figures a way out from their lawsuit and it opens the doors, they are stuck. Plus they didn't want Boise or SDSU back before the PAC collapse.

The whole reason for this now is the MWC deal ends after next season. But talks hadn't started yet. Now the PAC can jump into negotiations ahead of them and get first dibs on the west coast game money.

Reactions: MTOleBlue

They can’t keep the money if the join the MWC. The entire reason you don’t see conferences merging or dissolving is because the money is owed to the conference not the schools. The PAC is owed A LOT of money so helping buy those teams out of the MWC will still benefit OSU and WSU because they are having major money coming still. Plus they trim the deadweight in the process.

They can’t keep the money if the join the MWC. The entire reason you don’t see conferences merging or dissolving is because the money is owed to the conference not the schools. The PAC is owed A LOT of money so helping buy those teams out of the MWC will still benefit OSU and WSU because they are having major money coming still. Plus they trim the deadweight in the process.
That makes sense, thanks for clarifying.

Reactions: ewglenn
CUSA has the worst teams in it by far, so any opportunity to bolt and leave some of these schools behind, then I’m all for it.

I prefer a conference that has some recognizable names, so I think we can line up (in terms of market) with NT, Tulsa, UTSA. Sorry, but being lumped in with SHSU, Kennesaw State, Jax State, it’s truly embarrassing. If they add Tarleton State, OMG. Do you think anyone outside of those markets even know where those schools are?

I felt the same way you did about the quality of the conference. However, I really do feel conferences like ours should have some bit of regionality to them. Having teams in our conference that we can drive to easily is appealing. I like the idea of going to Jacksonville State later this year and Kennesaw State next year. The basketball tournament was in Huntsville last year.

CUSA has the worst teams in it by far, so any opportunity to bolt and leave some of these schools behind, then I’m all for it.

I prefer a conference that has some recognizable names, so I think we can line up (in terms of market) with NT, Tulsa, UTSA. Sorry, but being lumped in with SHSU, Kennesaw State, Jax State, it’s truly embarrassing. If they add Tarleton State, OMG. Do you think anyone outside of those markets even know where those schools are?
We are one of the reasons this conference is such a shit hole. We have no room to talk. When it comes to the two core sports this university is a dumpster fire and has been for seven or eight years.

What makes any of you think any other conference would want this train wreck? We’re here with these other schools for a reason. We’re here because we are just like the schools that we are casting stones at.

I felt the same way you did about the quality of the conference. However, I really do feel conferences like ours should have some bit of regionality to them. Having teams in our conference that we can drive to easily is appealing. I like the idea of going to Jacksonville State later this year and Kennesaw State next year. The basketball tournament was in Huntsville last year.
Yeah that is how I’m starting to feel. I didn’t like the idea of playing teams that no one will know because the name doesn’t reflect location. However, the more I thought about it, the more I’ve changed that opinion. More of our fans will care about playing Jacksonville St than North Texas when we become more familiar with them. Murray St for MBB, most fans couldn’t tell you where they are outside our fan base. Same with Belmont, but our fans know because we have a history and they are easy to travel to. Now SHSU isn’t the same because they are far away. I do like them though.

Reactions: BigBlueBrad
Yeah that is how I’m starting to feel. I didn’t like the idea of playing teams that no one will know because the name doesn’t reflect location. However, the more I thought about it, the more I’ve changed that opinion. More of our fans will care about playing Jacksonville St than North Texas when we become more familiar with them. Murray St for MBB, most fans couldn’t tell you where they are outside our fan base. Same with Belmont, but our fans know because we have a history and they are easy to travel to. Now SHSU isn’t the same because they are far away. I do like them though.

Right. One of my tailgating buddies wife is a one of Jacksonville State. We’re all going down there for the game. They’re coming back up here next season to see them play. That will help both of our attendance.

Reactions: ewglenn
We are one of the reasons this conference is such a shit hole. We have no room to talk. When it comes to the two core sports this university is a dumpster fire and has been for seven or eight years.

What makes any of you think any other conference would want this train wreck? We’re here with these other schools for a reason. We’re here because we are just like the schools that we are casting stones at.

I agree. It's a tough pill to swallow, but we are exactly where we belong. This university ignored athletics and took being FBS/D1 for granted. Then realignment smacked them right across the face. And now it's too late.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT