ADVERTISEMENT

MT @ Rice Men's basketball

BlueAtl

Blue Raider
Oct 15, 2006
Random observation's after attending last night's game:

Another upside to being in Conf USA and out of the Sunbelt are the better travel destinations. Picking up San Antonio, Houston, Birmingham, Virginia Beach area, and Charlotte are major upgrades to prior destinations with the exception of N.O./Lafayette.

Didn't see what the announced crowd was but could not have been more than a thousand. Of course, it is a small, private school with a lot of competition for the entertainment dollar. Very poor pep band, makes me appreciate ours even more.

Props to Rice, we rarely got a clean look at the basket, in or outside. Their scout seemed to be better than ours.

CD's incessant use of T.O.s cost us again last night. He burned his one and only TO with 3 minutes to go in the 2nd OT so when we had the ball with 17 seconds to go with a chance to tie we just had to wing it. Upshaw lost the ball and had to foul. Maddening in how we squander TO's.

Not sure I ever remember worse pick 'n roll defense than what we observed last nite in the first half. EVERY time both of our defenders went with the ball leaving the guy who set the pick free to roll toward the hoop. It got marginally better in the 2nd half but not much.

To our credit we kept battling, never gave up even though we were down from the opening tip. Seems like we were down 8 with 2.30 or so and somehow found a wat to play an extra 10 minutes.

Officiating was tiled toward them most of game but I thought we benefitted from some calls the last 15 minutes or so. I thought the calls on baskets at the end of regulation and the first OT were correct, even though they both went our way.

Went has happened to Darnell Harris? Was at a game earlier where he had 24 or 26 points. He has disappeared the past few games.

Not sure why Perrin Buford doesn't play more? Always seems to bring energy and makes things happen. He ought to start Sat night for sure.

A lot of careless TO's last night, not so much what Rice was doing.

CD went with basically the same 5 the last 12-13 minutes which I get but our guys looked gassed in the 2nd OT. Thought we could have used Giddy then though he hadn't done much earlier. We just needed a shot of energy that last period.

A game we will look back on and should have won. Regardless of whether they beat WKY last weekend. We had better talent, they just played better and smarter.

How Marcus Tarrance got the rebound in the 1st OT off the intentional free throw miss was impressive but how he got the shot off and made when he was on the baseline and sorta behind the basket was off the charts. A lot of want to in this team that doesn't always show up on the stat sheet or win column.

I think Ivey is the PG and it is his to lose. He has good basketball IQ but his lack of size can hurt him and us depending on match ups.

Ok, off to Dallas to see family and the NTexas Sat night.

thanks for your view of last night's game. I was at the women's game and had thought we lost and was surprised when I got into my car and turned on the radio and we were in OT.

Seems like some of our guys have hit a wall.

"To our credit we kept battling, never gave up even though we were down from the opening tip. Seems like we were down 8 with 2.30 or so and somehow found a way to play an extra 10 minutes."

Found a way to tie the game? Yes, Davis lets us shoot 3's when it gets hopeless and we hit one in the last 2 minutes and Raymond was fouled on another 3 and hit all 3 foul shots. Our team shot 4 3's in the first 35+ minutes of the game and that is ridiculous for a good perimeter shooting team which the Raiders are. We have 6 players hitting over 34% from the 3 point line, 2 over 40%, Davis has never emphasized the 3 and he never will. Regardless of the inside scoring skill on our team, and we have no especially good inside scorers on this team, Davis will still favor the play in the paint even if we are not good scoring in the paint. Ask yourself. Would you rather get the ball inside to a LeRon Dendy, Shawn Jones or one of our current post players. The answer is obvious. What we do have this season are perimeter shooters but Davis will always treat the 3 as a secondary shot. He will never use it like Insell for the Lady Raiders or Byrd at Belmont. Our offense would definitely improve if we made determined efforts to get 3 point opportunities. Here is an example of what I mean about Davis, After the close win vs. So. Miss, in the post game interview, Davis commented that we had shot too many 3's in the first half. Well, we had shot 11 and hit 6, a great percentage which, if anything, would indicate we should have shot more 3's, not less. But Kermit does not like the 3, except as a secondary shot, and despite having the shooters this season, he will keep them limited from doing what this team would do best. And if not for 5 very close wins which the Raiders have pulled out this year with valiant effort, we are not very far from having a very bad season. It shouldn't be. We need to shoot the 3. But it won't happen.
I do give the team a lot of credit for battling to the end vs. Rice but I believe if we came out shooting 3's, we would have likely not needed to come from behind.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT