ADVERTISEMENT

BB RECRUITING MT prospect visiting Wichita State this weekend

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
a 2018 prospect, but could reclassify as a 2017 prospect...

excerpt:

...Two athletes are scheduled to visit Wichita State this weekend and one, perhaps, may be available for 2017-18. Rodgerick Brown, a 6-foot-7 forward from Cordova, Tenn., is in the class of 2018, although he is considering graduating early as a member of the class of 2017.

Should he finish the academic courses necessary to graduate, he would sign a financial aid agreement with a school and be eligible for the coming season.

“If I take care of my (school) work, I’ll sign at the end of July,” he said. “It’s a possibility. It’s looking good right now.”

Brown, from Cordova High, said he also considering Pittsburgh, Iowa State, Middle Tennessee State, Florida Gulf Coast and South Alabama.

Brown notices WSU’s NCAA Tournament success and its top-10 spot in the early 2017-18 rankings by outlets such as ESPN.com (No. 6), CBSSports.com (No. 4) and the San Jose Mercury News (No. 2). The Shockers are loaded with experience — the top eight scorers return — for this season. The roster will look much different in 2018-19 with seniors such as Shaq Morris, Conner Frankamp and Zach Brown gone and the possibility of early departures for the NBA.

“It would be a great opportunity for me to come in and play at the highest level,” Brown said. “I would love to watch them practice and see how they work.”

Rivals.com lists Brown as a three-star prospect. ESPN.com ranks him No. 5 in Tennessee in the class of 2018 and a four-star prospect.....

This ESPN 4 star would be a huge get but I can't see it in the '17 class, we're already one over the NCAA limit of 13.

That said, I've noticed that Davis and Co. are getting in on more higher level recruits. Failed to sign any with over 2 star (verbalcommits.com) rankings in the '17 class (and yes, I know both that stars aren't everything and that verbalcommits is not infallible). Anxious to see how we do with the 1/2 dozen or so 3 and 4 star recruits we have offered in the '18 class.

As an aside: So hard to keep up with recruiting, especially on the level where MT recruits. Verbalcommits.com still has Massenburg as a 2 star and doesn't show his 3 star Rivals ranking figured in his composite. This article mentions Brown as ESPN's # 5 in the TN '18 class but a quick look at ESPN rankings only shows 4 players in TN ranked in the '18 class unless I missed something.

If he wanted to sign with us this year and reclassify, I bet we can find room.

Committed to Wichita St.

Adds to the list of high-profile recruits who MT has offered but not signed. But, this player is unique in that we offered for '18 and he was able to grad early (possibly, hasn't done it yet) and become a member of the '17 class for which we are already over.

We are "in on" several 3 and 4 star recruits for the '18 class with the possibility for more to be added. It's time for the success we've had over the last few years to bear fruit on the recruiting train next year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT