ADVERTISEMENT

UNIVERSITY NEWS MT fraternity placed on probation

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
sounds like a lack of due process here and a war on fraternities...

MT fraternity on probation for drugs, but no charges filed

excerpt:

...The fraternity has been put on probation, but none of the students have been criminally charged.

Kyle Evans with the Murfreesboro Police Department said that’s because the department didn’t know about the allegations because MTSU never reported them.

The narcotics team has since been made aware, but it's not clear yet what the next step will be.

Hazing allegations include blindfolding pledges in the woods and making them find their way back to camp.

The report also says fraternity members made pledges do initiation activities in a hot basement to the point where one passed out.

“Not everyone gets in trouble but there is a large number of them that do on our campus and off our campus,” Taylor said.

MTSU officials said in the past five years it has suspended six groups for hazing violations.

MTSU declined an on camera interview, but a spokesperson sent a statement that read in part:

"We will continue to eradicate hazing through education and aggressive sanctioning....

Last edited:
To be fair, guys, this particular example is probably not the best one to hold up if you're trying to build a "War on Greeks" case. The details are pretty bad. And I say this as a Greek myself.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
They probably waited till everyone got drunk and passed out, then went in there and sprinkled the drugs on them.

Oh geez. LOL

If they did something bad enough for the university to 1) catch them in the first place and 2) punish them severely they probably aren't the best bunch to be running a frat anyway. There's a difference between doing what you do under the radar and just being dumb about it. "Dumb" seems to be a theme recently among some frats at MT. And I say this as a Greek alum from U Miami. We had frats punished quite often while I was in school and they were punished for things just like I see here from MT's frats.

As a member of a fraternity I would probably tell my son to steer away from Greek life. Too many people don't know how to put their phones down and use common sense when doing silly fraternity stuff.

Reactions: C-Bow and MTOleBlue
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT