ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL MT faces drop in C-USA TV revenue

This sounds worse than some of the numbers being thrown around the last few months. Ouch.

I like Massaro's optimism for improved performance to help increase $$$. I also like that it's a 2 year deal considering it's a punch in the gut. Hopefully, C-USA can show some improvements to boost those numbers. MT just may be in position to do their part in helping the conference.

The basketball season gives reason for Massaro to be optimistic. While this past football season at MT was ok, it was fairly short of what most would hope for. I know this past season or two has caused me concern regarding momentum and attendance. A huge load was lifted when Franklin arrived as OC. Not only is the young Stockstill and talent at WR returning for Franklin, it appears some really talented WRs signed. All of this spells some momentum building for an MT offense that has the potential to be really good. Attendance may not immediately reflect these incoming and developing improvements, but hopefully attendance will improve as the team has some pretty good success. Plus, it will be offensive style that more casual fans will likely enjoy.

Remaining to be seen: was Kermit able to convince conference mates at Spring meetings to schedule better in ooc to improve conf RPI. There were some really good teams in C-USA mbb last season, but the overall ooc performance and conf RPI was awful. That has to improve for C-USA. It's one of those things that will help make C-USA more appealing for media contracts.

Wow! Feel the tension. I guess we now know why the longtime commish up and left C-USA.

The folks up at Marshall are on top of this, and I think they are on target regarding some conf problems. It seems the pressure might be getting to our new commish. It's slightly disconcerting I must say:

A couple of observations:

Commish intimates Virginia Pilot's article may not be entirely accurate or complete.

Regardless of final $$$ amount, this may have been somewhat of a wake up call to some of the league member's who aren't exactly living up to expectations of C-USA.

Another thought:

All things considered, I'd say I'm fairly pleased with MT's performance thus far in C-USA. In football, I think most of us would like to have seen some better outcomes. Still, MT has been competitive in these first few years of football. Combined with the other major sports of basketball, MT has been about outstanding in C-USA. MT may have exceeded my expectations in both basketball programs in these first few years. While not the major sport, baseball has about been one of the only surprising disappointments in these first few seasons in C-USA. Overall, I'd say MT has been a solid contributor so far to C-USA especially in the major sports of football, mbb, and wbb. Not bad considering MT was about the 5th or 6th choice when replacing programs in C-USA. I'd also say that MT has been about as good as any of the new editions to C-USA.

If the Blue Raiders can just avoid being manhandled by WKU and LaTech again this year and I'll be happy.

Clearly, there is room for improvement in football. Relevant to this thread, at least MT football has generally been competitive in these first few years in C-USA. With some reasonably obtainable improvement in football, MT could get over the hump to win that conf championship. Fortunately, this offseason has produced some good signs of considerable improvements. IMO, the type of improvements that could legitimately put MT in position for a conf title or two in the next couple/few years. Although I'm not predicting the conf championship this season, I think significant improvements are likely this season. I'm hopeful for MT football to get over that hump of of 6 or 7 wins this upcoming season. If MT can improve and/or replace key positions on both sides of the ball especially at LBs, Safeties, and Linemen (as always), the football team just might seriously contend for that conf title this season.

Of note:

It will likely take a herculean effort for WKU and LaTech to recreate the power of the last couple of seasons into this season.

WKU: Obviously, replacing 6th year record setting QB and NFL draft pick will be felt by their team with at least some dropoff. WKU seems to be losing those key skill players that made them so dynamic and powerful the last 2 seasons. That is WKU will have to replace their NFL draft pick QB and NFL draft pick TE that they loved to target. It looks like they'll have to replace a couple of WRs also. Since that passing game was absolutely key to them, it would seem reasonable to expect a dropoff in their powerful offensive output. With that said, they will still likely be competitive with their returning HC that also returns their OL and RB corps intact this season.

LaTech: Big losses, lots of big shoes to fill. Like WKU, it would be difficult to see LaTech return as powerful of a team this season as last season. IMO, DT may be one of the most underrated and undervalued yet important positions on a team. And wow! LaTech is losing one heck of a powerful DT in 1st RD NFL Draft Pick Vernon Butler at 6-4 320+ lbs! Additionally, LaTech must replace both starting QB and RB. A RB, Dixon, who has been a superstar for LaTech virtually his entire 4 years in Ruston. Having to replace your starting QB and RB would be difficult, but these were both also NFL draft picks too boot. Granted, QB Driskel was a modest late 6th RD pick, but Dixon was a legit mid RD pick (4th). Admittedly, any draft pick even in the 6th round makes for one heck of a talented college football player, particularly at QB. Skip Holtz has a history at this level of finding new players to remain competitive in most seasons. It would seem reasonable to expect that this upcoming season would be no different. LaTech will likely be a competitive team this upcoming season. Having to replace such tremendous talent in key positions that they lost, it would be difficult to see them fielding a team anywhere near as strong and powerful this upcoming season as the last season or two.

I'm not suggesting that WKU or LaTech will be pushovers this upcoming season. I do doubt that they will be anywhere near as powerful and strong as they were last year.

Dang! I missed that WKU also had a CB go in the NFL draft. He went late in the 7th. Still, 3 NFL Draft picks for WKU.

No wonder WKU and LaTech were so strong this past season or two, both had 3 NFL Draft Picks a piece this year.

Southern Miss had 2 late rounds draft picks.

Also, glad to see the WKU WR Dangerfield has moved along. While he wasn't drafted, he has signed as an undrafted FA. He was a huge target also the couple of years at WKU. Over 800 yds and 8 or 9 TDs each of the last two seasons. Again, this suggests WKU has a lot to replace in their passing game.

I read that WKU lost like 7 starters on D not that their D was all that good. It's the offense I'm always worried about. Dangerfield, Higbee, Wonderful and Doughty are gone. They will still have 2 very dangerous WR's.

I'll say this, Brohm is gone after this year. They will lose a few RB's, WR's, and 4 OL. If they repeat or even win more than 8 games, he's gone.

Marshall replaced one of their better QB's last year and they backslid. WKU lost more than Marshall did last year so I expect them to not as good as the 12 win team they had last year.

Playing us at our house helps us considerably as well. I agree that LT, WKU, Vandy and Marshall are the most crucial games this season. 2-2 is fine, 3-1 is great, 4-0 means we are playing in the Championship game at our house which would be pretty awesome. That's all that matters to me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT