ADVERTISEMENT

MT doesn't want to follow the Marshall model

nashvillegoldenflash

Hall of Famer
Dec 10, 2006
In Middle Tennessee's quest for national recognition, I urge MT not to follow the Marshall model. Despite my criticism of Marshall, I will give the former MAC member credit for setting off a mini-version of the athletic arms race that has engulfed college football over the last 25 years. Marshall came into the MAC spending a million dollars a year more than any other school in the conference and had a commitment to upgrading facilities that took most of the MAC several years to match (and in many cases surpass). But let me point out the history of Marshall includes engaging in what apparently was wholesale academic fraud, turning a blind eye to paying players, and taking on a series of head cases that didn't belong in any college -- even one with Marshall's admissions standards -- in a go for broke quest to establish a national name for the university on the backs of its football players. When Marshall was in the MAC, the Herd led the league in player arrests every year it was in the conference. As a Conference USA member, the Herd won the infamous Fulmer Cup in 2006 and continues to lead the conference in the number of arrests (see link). Again, I urge Middle Tennessee not to follow the Marshall model for athletics. Yes. the Herd will win the conference in football this year but Marshall is hardly ever competitive in basketball or any of the other sports. So why would any school want to follow the Marshall model? Certainly, not Middle Tennessee or any other self-respecting university.

This post was edited on 11/3 6:41 AM by nashvillegoldenflash

Total Arrests/Citations/Charges: 19

When a school's self-esteem is predicated on winning football games, a loss can be devastating for students and alumni of a school that is ranked 46th in the U.S. News & World Report's Regional Universities South Rankings. With a ranking this low, it seems to me that more emphasis should be placed on academics than trying to pursue national recognition via the football program.

Regional Universities South Rankings

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT