ADVERTISEMENT

BASEBALL MT commitment wins AAA Mr. Baseball

Noland said he was saddened to hear about the decision by MTSU on Monday not to extend the contract of coach Jim McGuire.

"I'm just up in the air," said Noland, who hadn't had any communication with MTSU since the coaching announcement.

Am I the only one...

Nevermind.

Seems like a recurring theme. If you remember during the basketball coaching search, Tye Fagan tweeted directly at Massaro to contact him. It seems that Massaro never contacted these guys.

How do you know Massaro didn't contact him? Besides, I think finding a new coach is more important than making sure one kid is ok. The kid signed with McGuire, of course he is up in the air until a new coach is announced and he meets with him.

How do you know Massaro didn't contact him? Besides, I think finding a new coach is more important than making sure one kid is ok. The kid signed with McGuire, of course he is up in the air until a new coach is announced and he meets with him.

Really?

Most likely he didn't but you ignored the bigger issue. We need a freaking coach, this is the biggest priority. One player isn't going to make or break our baseball program.

One player huh? So, we don't have any other commitments or signees for next year?

This is going to be one of your best players over the next three years. So, we handcuff the next coach simply because we're too busy looking for said coach that we can't even pick up the phone to lay out for our commits/signees the plan for their future and how much we value their commitment and want them to be a part of the MT family?

I mean, come on. To not do that is just bush league crap. Let me just lay out how I would do this if I had to fire the coach.

1. The first thing I do is I meet with the team - particularly with the returning players to let them know why the decision was made, what the new direction is going to be and how much we appreciate their contributions to the university (particularly given baseball's APR - I would highlight that too). Most importantly though I would be conveying a message to them that we are going to bring in great coaches with a lot of energy who are going to help them achieve their goals while they are at MT emphasizing that is at the heart of why we are making this change now.

2. I'm then touching base with all signees and commitments to let them know the exact same thing I just told the rest of the team (because these new players are ostensibly part of the program already IMO). Right now is a contact period for baseball so no problems there. I would address any questions or concerns they had about this change as obviously it is very drastic situation for all involved. I want all of the players - including the returning players as well as the new ones comfortable with what we're trying to do and the direction I expect the program to take.

3. After I've done those two things I then pull out my list and start making some phone calls - particularly to those connected who are going to have good suggestions - as well as ADs I know that have coaches I want to talk to and get permission to move forward.

I don't know maybe it's just me, but seems as though this isn't an either or. I think there is enough time in the day to do both on such a significant decision.

Reactions: MTTim and C-Bow
Most likely he didn't but you ignored the bigger issue. We need a freaking coach, this is the biggest priority. One player isn't going to make or break our baseball program.

One player huh? So, we don't have any other commitments or signees for next year?

This is going to be one of your best players over the next three years. So, we handcuff the next coach simply because we're too busy looking for said coach that we can't even pick up the phone to lay out for our commits/signees the plan for their future and how much we value their commitment and want them to be a part of the MT family?

I mean, come on. To not do that is just bush league crap. Let me just lay out how I would do this if I had to fire the coach.

1. The first thing I do is I meet with the team - particularly with the returning players to let them know why the decision was made, what the new direction is going to be and how much we appreciate their contributions to the university (particularly given baseball's APR - I would highlight that too). Most importantly though I would be conveying a message to them that we are going to bring in great coaches with a lot of energy who are going to help them achieve their goals while they are at MT emphasizing that is at the heart of why we are making this change now.

2. I'm then touching base with all signees and commitments to let them know the exact same thing I just told the rest of the team (because these new players are ostensibly part of the program already IMO). Right now is a contact period for baseball so no problems there. I would address any questions or concerns they had about this change as obviously it is very drastic situation for all involved. I want all of the players - including the returning players as well as the new ones comfortable with what we're trying to do and the direction I expect the program to take.

3. After I've done those two things I then pull out my list and start making some phone calls - particularly to those connected who are going to have good suggestions - as well as ADs I know that have coaches I want to talk to and get permission to move forward.

I don't know maybe it's just me, but seems as though this isn't an either or. I think there is enough time in the day to do both on such a significant decision.

You have some ideas but it seems to me you think or know they aren’t doing anything.

No. I was not responding to anything athletics is or is not doing with that post. I'm responding to your statement. The one that the AD shouldn't concern himself with the student-athlete and focus exclusively on finding a coach. I find that to be an unacceptable position if that's what they are/were doing as you suggest they should.

That said the kid did tell the Tennessean he's not had any contact so I'm taking that at face value. Would seem unlikely for that to be fabricated.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT