ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Middle Tennessee vs Vanderbilt (CBSSN), 7PM Saturday, September 2, 2017

This is exactly why I liked Phillip Tanner and Benny Cunningham so much. Stock would pull this crap where they would run it up the middle or take a knee. If we handed back to either of those guys, then they would decide to not listen to stock and go down, but they would take it to the house. You know... Winners...

Shafer: "We need to stop the run to be able to win this game" (essentially what was said all week)

Did they forget that there's another aspect to the game called a pass?

Everyone keeps saying Vandy is the best team we will face all year. I have trouble admitting that about a low SEC team, especially one I can't stand, but still, now I hope that is true and we turn around from this debacle.

i dont understand why we cant try another qb - yes i understand the OL is complete dog shit, but what's it gonna hurt?

Our talent level is crap. Walter Brady, Richie James and Ty Lee are legit D1 players. Stockstill is borderline in my opinion. The rest of our team is nothing but scrubs on other D1 teams. I know that may sound harsh but it's not too far from the truth.

Brought my family. Not planning on coming back until basketball season.

Way to sell out general admission and not un-tarp the endzone. Force them to buy reserved....that's the way to keep your fans happy.

We looked awful. I predicted a three touchdown loss so I'm not too disappointed. Defense wasn't too bad in the second half. Offense looks awful.

We are so Middle.

Hey, it can always be worse. We could be ECU fans right now. They just lost by 20 to James Madison. Baylor lost to Liberty. Ouch.

We played Vandy better than we did last year. As bad as it was, it was better than giving up 47 points. It is what it is. Move on and get better. We will.

Reactions: bluefutcpa
Brutal game....defense looked good in the 2 half though. Big Stock has to improve his attitude. Comes off as petty, it's your team coach em up!!!
It was not a good look. TV panned to him several times. It was like "I'm pissed so I'll stand down here by myself so everyone knows it." It was WKU '15 all over again. Shooting the fireworks afterwards was Middle.

Reactions: VARaider84
We have seen this version of Stock for years. He's not changing. He's mediocre at best and is unable to prepare his team's for big games. We have to improve and do it fast.
Not giving up yet. With great improvement i still see 6-6.

Everyone chill, we got killed by Vandy last year and still won 8 games....First games are tricky, why don't we wait 3-4 games and see what happens.

Reactions: arg3b
It was not a good look. TV panned to him several times. It was like "I'm pissed so I'll stand down here by myself so everyone knows it." It was WKU '15 all over again. Shooting the fireworks afterwards was Middle.
On the other side Mason was coaching his players, getting in their face when they screwed up and at times in a heated exchange with his assistants.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
The defense played their butts off in my opinion. They were out there for 37 minutes. No relief or rest. Our offense screwed the pooch last night and only mustered 215 total yards. Vandy left their 1's in on O for pretty much the whole game. The D adjusted and they tackled. The run D impressed me a ton. This game could have easily been a 42-0 game but the D kept it manageable and kept getting better. I think they will be much stronger this week vs. Syracuse. In C-USA play, they might be one of the better D's.

The O looked like they've never played before and it wasn't just the O Line either. Brent looked tentative and held on to the ball way too long. Franklin didn't dial up a good game plan at all and called empty sets when Brent clearly needed blockers back there. Did he think Vandy wasn't gonna come after him? Also, Gordon should have played more. He has spark in his run style. They also need to practice throwing to other people beside Richie. Sheesh. 8 drives where we held the ball for 2:30 or less. 4 of those were 1 minute or less.

Vandy and Minny are the games where the matchup is just terrible for us. It is what it is. We'll take our lumps and move on.

How much of the O line issues are coaching and how much are talent? I'll be honest. I love the game but when it comes to judging issues, I'm not good at it. There's a reason I'm not a coach.

I'm just wondering if the issues can be fixed this year. If it's a matter of getting the right people in the right spot or just getting the right people period. Maybe we should wait till the conference slate hits. I'm sure Stock will say that Monday. We played like crap but our goals are still in reach. (I know deep down they are but that doesn't take away the sting from last night)

I already had this as a loss in my 7-5 prediction, so I'm not surprised that we lost. However I'm shocked at how pathetic our offense was. I thought our best chance to win was in Derek Mason's inability to prepare a team for week 1, but they came out on fire and we were the team that looked completely unprepared to start the season. Unless Vandy is a contender to play a December game in Atlanta, this is a really bad sign for the season.

That fireworks screw up got some national attention on CBSSports, I know, about the same # of folks watch that as will be at our late November game, but still.

Vandy d-line was just bigger, faster, stronger than our o-line. Lol Stock just had zero time to do anything. Brady is a player; thought Ty Nix played well too. Was curious how he would look due to his size.

Last edited:
This is one (of many) aspect of social media I hate. Everything is under a microscope...and social media gives a voice to idiots who pick apart EVERYTHING but do nothing in their lives.

That fireworks screw up got some national attention on CBSSports, I know, about the same # of folks watch that as will be at our late November game, but still.

How much of the O line issues are coaching and how much are talent? I'll be honest. I love the game but when it comes to judging issues, I'm not good at it. There's a reason I'm not a coach.

I'm just wondering if the issues can be fixed this year. If it's a matter of getting the right people in the right spot or just getting the right people period. Maybe we should wait till the conference slate hits. I'm sure Stock will say that Monday. We played like crap but our goals are still in reach. (I know deep down they are but that doesn't take away the sting from last night)

Tony Franklin is notorious for not adjusting his gameplan and that put Stockstill in harm's way. After getting sacked 4 times, TF still ran empty back sets with Stock in there and that basically telegraphed to the VU D what to call and go after him just like Hawaii. There has to be blocking in the backfield when the Line isn't protecting. We have a TE and a FB who could come in and protect so Brent has time. You adjust during the coarse of the game so that the opponent starts to change their plan which opens up the field more. I think this goes much deeper than a young line. Also Mallory is not a good position coach. Wade was better and Ealabee and the Texas Tech guy were great. Last year and this year, the line has dropped off in quality production.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
While we are signing eleventy billion wide receivers in a signing class it doesn't help if the QB doesn't have time to set up. Got to go out and get some linemen, more than enough for a tissue thin depth chart, given the propensity to take two to three years to develop enough to be worth a damn.

As for TF, I thought for most of the game I was watching a Buster Faulkner/CRS offense. CDM is ten times the defensive coach than TF is an offensive guru.

A team that is supposed to be in contention for a cusa conference championship should not be beaten as badly on the line of scrimmage by a lower tier $ec team. This coaching staff is 'competing' to make andy mccollum and his staff look like MENSA candidates.

While we are signing eleventy billion wide receivers in a signing class it doesn't help if the QB doesn't have time to set up. Got to go out and get some linemen, more than enough for a tissue thin depth chart, given the propensity to take two to three years to develop enough to be worth a damn.

As for TF, I thought for most of the game I was watching a Buster Faulkner/CRS offense. CDM is ten times the defensive coach than TF is an offensive guru.

A team that is supposed to be in contention for a cusa conference championship should not be beaten as badly on the line of scrimmage by a lower tier $ec team. This coaching staff is 'competing' to make andy mccollum and his staff look like MENSA candidates.

Reactions: Predarat
Everyone chill, we got killed by Vandy last year and still won 8 games....First games are tricky, why don't we wait 3-4 games and see what happens.

Because the next 2 games are more than likely going to be additional stompings. Sure we will whoop on the bottom feeders of our conference to get a nice winning record, but at this point we can't even be optimistic we will be champions of this crappy conference we are in. It is emotionally taxing to be a raider fan for sure.

Reactions: BRaiderDave
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT