Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
UAB
Series:
UAB leads 10-6
Colors: Forest Green & Old Gold Nickname: Blazers Conference: Conference USA
Facility: Bartow Arena (8,500)
Head Coach: Rob Ehsan UC Davis, 2005 UAB Record: 17-16 (1 season) Overall Record: Same
2016-17 Record: 17-16, 9-9 (7th C-USA) 2017 Postseason: None
Starters R/L: 1/4 Lettermen R/L: 5/6 Newcomers: 6

DWsRJgIU8AwhK6V.jpg

It should be noted that both us and WKU control own destiny for the regular season conference title. If WKU beats us and we both finished 16-2, WKU would hold the tiebreaker.

Why would WKU hold the tiebreaker? Whats that based on?

First is head to head. That would be a split if WKU beats us.

Next you would go down the order of conference standings and compare records. Our loss is Marshall. WKU’s loss is UTSA.

I should revise my comment to say that WKU is likely to hold the tiebreaker. Only way it would flip to us is if UTSA finished ahead of Marshall in the final standings. Currently, Marshall is a game ahead of UTSA. Marshall still has road games with us and UAB, so UTSA may have a chance to pass the Herd.

Hopefully we just sweep the homestand and it won’t matter. If we beat UAB and WKU, we will clinch the 1 seed regardless of what happens in the last game against Marshall.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
First is head to head. That would be a split if WKU beats us.

Next you would go down the order of conference standings and compare records. Our loss is Marshall. WKU’s loss is UTSA.

I should revise my comment to say that WKU is likely to hold the tiebreaker. Only way it would flip to us is if UTSA finished ahead of Marshall in the final standings. Currently, Marshall is a game ahead of UTSA. Marshall still has road games with us and UAB, so UTSA may have a chance to pass the Herd.

Hopefully we just sweep the homestand and it won’t matter. If we beat UAB and WKU, we will clinch the 1 seed regardless of what happens in the last game against Marshall.

I agree, let's just win out and erase all doubt. However, just in case we split and tie with WKU, wouldn't we actually win the tie if Marshall is ahead of UTSA? We'd have lost to the higher seeded team. Maybe I'm missing something, but why would WKU get rewarded for losing to a lower seeded team (pended the current standings hold)?

Last edited:
For some reason this game scares me. UAB is a super talented team (who I won a lot of money on this year) who can play with anyone in the country when they want to.

-9 seems rich, way too rich for my blood, but I know we've been covering machines at home the last 5 years so gamblers are going to bet MT at home regardless.

I agree, let's just win out and erase all doubt. However, just in case we split and tie with WKU, wouldn't we actually win the tie if Marshall is ahead of UTSA? We'd have lost to the higher seeded team. Maybe I'm missing something, but why would WKU get rewarded for losing to a lower seeded team (pended the current standings hold)?

Tiebreaker system works the other direction. It values wins over the best teams more than it penalizes losses to the lower seeded teams.

Last edited:
Gameday! Huge one... show up early, leave late, let's cheer the team on to a big win today...

Reactions: subkyle
For some reason this game scares me. UAB is a super talented team (who I won a lot of money on this year) who can play with anyone in the country when they want to.

-9 seems rich, way too rich for my blood, but I know we've been covering machines at home the last 5 years so gamblers are going to bet MT at home regardless.

started out -9.5 and now has dropped to -7.5

The point will probably handled by Sims and Johnson with a bit of Simpson here and there.

Positive: Attendance looks better than usual.

Negative: Way too many empty courtside / lower level seats.

Positive: Attendance looks better than usual.

Negative: Way too many empty courtside / lower level seats.
At least we can be frustrated with a few lower level open seats with a crowd that looks to be at least 10,000. How times have changed!

At least we can be frustrated with a few lower level open seats with a crowd that looks to be at least 10,000. How times have changed!

From my completely unofficial counting of empty seats, we don't have 10,000 butts-n-seats tonight (even though they will announce 10,000+ ticket sales). That being said, we have a great crowd tonight, we are smoking UAB and we are setting up for a magical Thursday night game.

we are peaking at the right time with the upcoming games on our schedule. going to be some big time basketball being played in the murphy center here over the next few weeks.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
Incredible game. WKU game should be sold out soon. What a time to be a Blue Raider fan!

Crowd announced at 9700...I think that was pretty accurate.

Thursdays is for all the marbles...WKU still in it, I bet they bring 1000 fans, we should have more students then as well.

Crowd announced at 9700...I think that was pretty accurate.

Thursdays is for all the marbles...WKU still in it, I bet they bring 1000 fans, we should have more students then as well.
Atmosphere will be insane.

Also CKD announced on post-game that WKU game is officially "Operation: Blue House". Goal is to match the previous record 11,807 - and lower bowl seats are pretty much gone. Only like 4 left.

Our team looked really good tonight. 11,000 this Thursday night. Wish I could be there! The roof is going to blow off Thursday night!!!
Hopefully WKU don't bring *too* many fans. Good news is, most folks I've talked to got tix for the game on Thursday so it will be a sea of blue with only a sprinkling of red.

Reactions: MTsumner92
Unbelievable performance!

King & Potts: both outstanding as usual.

Walters: Excellent effort. On top of a good night of patient scoring on the inside, excellent effort away from ball. 4 Steals!

Sims: Freshman & First Start? No problem. 4 Asst to 0 Turnovers! 3 pts 1 rb for good measure. He played exceptionally well especially for a freshman in such a big game on a huge stage.

Johnson: Continues to excel. So glad to see him finally breakout this past month after so many games of being so close. He adds another big threat to defenses that just adds to MT's offensive punch.

What a setup for next up WKU! It seems a sellout is a legitimate possibility. Glad for the team. That game will be huge, and it will be a war.

I saw Kerry and the assistants motioning different groups of players to go up into different areas of the stands after the game. Donovan, Brandon, and several others walked up by us, working all the way up the aisle giving high fives, etc. Then after the game, I took my young friends down the tunnel to outside the locker room. I hadn’t ever gone down there after a game, but there were probably 50-75 fans/family members down there. After a few minutes the guys came out, and again spent time with every fan- pictures, autographs, the whole nine yards. They looked tired and ready to eat, but made time for everyone.

These guys are class acts. And it starts with the men coaching them. This program, more than any other, makes me proud to be a alumnus/faculty member/student. And this is how you build a fanbase! Great night all around.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT