ADVERTISEMENT

LADY RAIDER BB Middle Tennessee vs DePaul, 6:30PM, Sunday, November 19, 2023

Looks like they got the message after the crash and burn yesterday. Good first quarter, up 25-18. Scott is on fire! Hope we can continue this. They're doubling Boldyreva in the paint every single possession and that's leaving shooters wide open. Gotta take advantage of that.

Great first half... 45-31 at halftime. Complete opposite of yesterday. Offense clicking on all cylinders, rebounding the ball, and taking full advantage of DePaul's mistakes.

Lady Raiders up 58-42 going into the 4th.

Gregory has been off these last two games

Lady Raiders lead 58-42 going into the 4th.

Gregory has been off these last two games
Yeah not sure what her slump is all about. I'm sure she'll get back into true form but she's been kind of chaotic on offense in this tournament, hitting some great shots then badly missed airballs. Her defense has been great though. Gotta respect the effort but kind of strange how she looks great in warmups then bad in game -- mental?

Absolutely firing on all cylinders tonight, up 22 on DePaul now. Great bounce back after yesterday.

Yeah not sure what her slump is all about. I'm sure she'll get back into true form but she's been kind of chaotic on offense in this tournament, hitting some great shots then badly missed airballs. Her defense has been great though. Gotta respect the effort but kind of strange how she looks great in warmups then bad in game -- mental?
For sure, I was really only talking about her shooting and, at times, errant passes here recently. She has great effort and toughness!

For sure, I was really only talking about her shooting and, at times, errant passes here recently. She has great effort and toughness!
I would say "most of the time" versus at times. She has been very off. Letting DePaul back in the game now because of bad basketball IQ on offense which is insane to me with how her defense is.

HELLO COACHES. YOU HAVE TIMEOUTS. USE THEM. It's an 18-2 run. We were up 22 and it's now 4. Are you kidding me right now? This is horrendous.

AND WHY IS THE WORST BALL HANDLER THE INBOUNDER??? GREGORY CANNOT PASS TO ANYONE HOLY CRAP. This is literally not complicated. You have a 6'6" post player, literally 6 inches taller than the entire other team. Throw the freaking ball to her. How is this even happening? And coaches... CALL A DAMN TIMEOUT TO ADVANCE THE BALL. Absolutely horrendous game management, wow

Reactions: SpaceRaider
I have never seen such a horribly coached fourth quarter. Wow. Being up 22, and it's now 2 with 30 seconds left due to a deluge of mistakes. That is completely unacceptable.

It's like the rails came off when Whitson fouled out....man this is bad, can't inbound the ball

It's a win, but hard to feel good about that. Dominated for 3 quarters and then played so terribly in the 4th

These coaches should be ashamed. What a hot steaming pile of crap that 4th quarter was. It's not hard. The other team starts a little run, you call a timeout and refocus your team. Apparently Insell doesn't believe in actually coaching the team. It's a miracle we won this game.

We didn't run out of gas. DePaul changed up their gameplan and we had no adjustments at all and no coaching. They just sat on the bench screaming at the girls to get in the right spot on our offensive sets whenever we got there which wasn't often. Just baffling. We have a massive height advantage (6+ inches) and YOU DON'T SET UP THE INBOUND SO THE TALLEST PLAYER GETS THE BALL??? What on earth???????

We are so lucky to have won that game. I am absolutely stunned at how poorly managed that fourth quarter was. It's the girls' second game in two days, of course they're going to be slowing down and tired. That's why you have timeouts and coaches... come up with a plan! Jeez. We did what we needed to do to win the game, but wow, what a disaster.

Part of why we always struggle - and I know I'm preaching to the choir here - is when we have players who are having an off night like Gregory, he practically never takes them out. Her bad passing led to so many DePaul shots and cutting into the lead and yet she was still the inbounder. That's the definition of insanity, doing the same thing and expecting a different result. So lucky to win this one. And we shouldn't have needed luck when we were up by 22...

Yep, I agree with the recent statements. Guess I've overcome my anger from the other night. Hahaha. Not as angry tonight as I was after Michigan game. I realized much of our issue is more coach related than players related. This game almost reminded me of last year's Texas Tech except this one we survived, but it still feels kind of like a loss. Frustration can set in with any player or players in America when opposing teams changes strategy mid game. That's when an intelligent coach takes a time-out & stops the bleeding by making their own change in strategy to counter the opposition.
Only thing is our coach can't do that. As frustrating as it is I've come to accept the result. We can beat lesser teams, but when it comes to going up against a fairly talented team with a coach who can think & change strategy on the fly we're in trouble. Notice I didn't say as talented or more talented teams, just teams with some talent & smarts who can apply the coaches directions. Wish we had someone in charge like that, but we don't.
Nonetheless glad for the W. Personally I don't have a tremendous amount of confidence about the upcoming Memphis rematch if their coach applies some of the tactics Michigan & DePaul used. Guess we'll see tomorrow & I wish the ladies luck.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
He might be a HOF coach at getting talent together, developing players, and putting together a scheme that works but his one big lacking area is game management.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT