ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Middle Tennessee @ Vanderbilt (SECN+), 7PM, Wednesday, December 6, 2017

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
Memorial-Gymnasium-Section-3L-Row-10-on-1-28-2017k.jpg

Vanderbilt

Series:
VU leads 29-6
Founded: 1873 Enrollment: 6,883
Colors: Black & Gold Nickname: Commodores Conference: Southeastern Conference
Facility: Memorial Gymnasium (14,316)
Head Coach: Bryce Drew Valparaiso, 1998 VU Record: 19-16 (1 season) Overall Record: 143-65 (6 seasons)
2016-17 Record: 19-16, 10-8 (T-5th SEC) 2016 Postseason: NCAA First Round
Starters R/L: 3/2 Lettermen R/L: 8/2 Newcomers: 6

Last edited:
Vandy lost a close game at home with Kansas State this afternoon 84-79. They are 3-5 and will be gunning for revenge, and will have the refs working for them as well.

This will be a challenging game. Vandy's wierdo gym always takes shooters some adjusting to get use to it. We really need to win this one and Ole Miss saturday. Neither one of these teams are that good but if we don't play well we could walk away with an L.

Through yesterday, MT's RPI is #6.

I know it will change, but that sure looks awesome. Vanderbilt's 119 is really going hurt our SOS.

Have to give it to them, someone is at least trying in their athletic marketing department.

Belmont did a Star Wars night when we played them a year or two ago. I was actually a lot of fun.

I just hope there isn't 500 employees that get to them before the gates open :).

Not sure what to think about this one. With the officiating and the venue, I predict a loss with the eye test.

BTW, Belmont got swept by Lipscomb...tssk tssk.

I wonder if MT doesn't need to wait until later in Dec to play Belmont each season. Sure Belmont is good most every season, but they haven't broken out beyond small conf champs. They are well coached and almost always shoot well. They typically do not strike me as physical strong imposing athletes. That good shooting and good coaching of a team coming together at the beginning of the season lends itself well to exceptional performance at the beginning of each season. Those first few weeks and about 5 or 6 games they appear to be at a decided advantage due to the nature of their coach and system.

I would love for MT to be able to play Belmont in Jan/Feb when the games require grinding and strong physical athletes. In those games, my money is on Kermit. If MT obviously can't get Jan/Feb games with Belmont mid to late Dec games vs Belmont would be an intriguing time for MT to play them.

I wonder if MT doesn't need to wait until later in Dec to play Belmont each season. Sure Belmont is good most every season, but they haven't broken out beyond small conf champs. They are well coached and almost always shoot well. They typically do not strike me as physical strong imposing athletes. That good shooting and good coaching of a team coming together at the beginning of the season lends itself well to exceptional performance at the beginning of each season. Those first few weeks and about 5 or 6 games they appear to be at a decided advantage due to the nature of their coach and system.

I would love for MT to be able to play Belmont in Jan/Feb when the games require grinding and strong physical athletes. In those games, my money is on Kermit. If MT obviously can't get Jan/Feb games with Belmont mid to late Dec games vs Belmont would be an intriguing time for MT to play them.

Or, how about we play better when we play them. I like our hard nose approach, however, the goal is to out score them - if we hit our share of shots we win, if not, we lose. Meanwhile, playing Belmont is good way to know our weaknesses in order to get better - but the truth is they have owned us the last decade. I think we are 3-8 in the last 11 games.

Reactions: subkyle
IIRC MT played 5 newcomers in the game this year, Belmont 1. In most years we are facing more player turnover and the Belmont squad is seasoned in Byrd's system. Belmont has replacement players in the wings, ours have just arrived. (as an aside: with 4 returning guards this year we should not have played so poorly)
The Bruin's advantage early in the season may be reduced as we rely more on recruiting high schoolers.

Reactions: Blueraider_Mike
Potts and Simpson haven't made an impact this year. As seniors they should consistently get a lot of points/rebounds/assists but it ain't happening... they look like first year players right now

Potts and Simpson haven't made an impact this year. As seniors they should consistently get a lot of points/rebounds/assists but it ain't happening... they look like first year players right now
Simpson has never been a scorer. We rely more on his defense and leadership than anything else. With that said, I don't think a starting senior guard should ever average 2 ppg, which is exactly what Simpson is averaging.

Potts should get going...eventually. If he doesn't, we will be in trouble down the stretch.

Agree that any player, regardless of defense, leadership, intelligence (as shown by Ivy offers), etc. shouldn't be on the floor if they don't contribute offensively in some way. Love Simpson as a person/student. As a BkB player, not so much.

Simpson has never been a scorer. We rely more on his defense and leadership than anything else. With that said, I don't think a starting senior guard should ever average 2 ppg, which is exactly what Simpson is averaging.

Potts should get going...eventually. If he doesn't, we will be in trouble down the stretch.

Johnson should start

Reactions: C-Bow
excerpt:

...The Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders won their 3rd straight game and improved to 5-1 on the season after defeating the Florida Gulf Coast Eagles, 81-76, this past Saturday. Middle Tennessee used a strong start to the 2nd half to take a 60-44 lead and held on late for the victory. Middle Tennessee shot 48.3% from the field and out rebounded Florida Gulf Coast by a 42-28 margin. Leading the way for the Blue Raiders was Nick King who had a double-double with 32 points, 11 rebounds, and 4 assists. On the season, Middle Tennessee is averaging 80.0 ppg on 47.3% shooting from the field. The Blue Raiders are averaging 6.0 three-pointers per game on 31.0% shooting from beyond the arc. Offensively, Middle Tennessee has been led by Nick King (24.3 ppg, 6.8 rpg, 2.2 apg), Brandon Walters (11.4 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 1.4 bpg), Giddy Potts (10.3 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 2.3 apg, 2.3 spg), and Tyrik Dixon (6.0 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 3.5 apg). Defensively, Middle Tennessee is holding their opponents to an average of 66.8 ppg on 41.9% shooting from the field. The Blue Raiders have a rebound margin of 6.0 and a turnover margin of 2.8.

The Vanderbilt Commodores dropped to 3-5 on the season after being defeated by the Kansas State Wildcats, 84-79, this past Sunday. Vanderbilt fought back from 15-point 2nd half deficit to tie the game at 71-all with 3:33 left in regulation, however, couldn’t secure the come from behind victory. Vanderbilt allowed Kansas State to shoot 58.0% from the field and lost the turnover battle by a 14-7 margin. Leading the way for the Commodores was Jeff Roberson who had a double-double with 22 points, 10 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 blocks, and 2 steals. On the season, Vanderbilt is averaging 69.4 ppg on 40.6% shooting from the field. The Commodores are averaging 7.1 three-pointers per game on 31.0% shooting from beyond the arc. Offensively, Vanderbilt has been led by Jeff Roberson (14.4 ppg, 9.4 rpg, 1.0 apg, 1.0 spg), Riley LaChance (12.6 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 2.0 apg), Matthew Fisher-Davis (11.3 ppg, 5.4 rpg, 1.0 apg, 1.1 spg), and Saben Lee (7.9 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 3.1 apg). Defensively, Vanderbilt is allowing their opponents to average 72.3 ppg on 45.1% shooting from the field. The Commodores have a rebound margin of 4.4 and a turnover margin of -3.5.

The Blue Raiders are 5-1 ATS in their last 6 games vs. a team with a losing straight up record and 9-3 ATS in their last 12 non-conference games. The Commodores are 5-16 ATS in their last 21 non-conference games and 0-5 ATS in their last 5 home games.

Middle Tennessee is once again one of the better mid-major teams to look out for this season as the Blue Raiders are talented on both sides of the ball, ranking T-99th in scoring offense and 77th in scoring defense. Vanderbilt was finally able to put some points on the board against a good Kansas State defense, however, the Commodores once again couldn’t pull out a victory and come in ranked 265th in scoring offense and 312th in three-pointers made per game. Alabama transfer, Nick King, has been a monster for Middle Tennessee so far this season and the Blue Raiders defense will give the Commodores trouble, take Middle Tennessee and the points.....

It looks like Dixon will be out tonight with a knee injury. Doesn't look like Johnson will play either. Our chances to win just took a big hit. We need Giddy to perform like old Giddy more than ever tonight.

I really have a hard time seeing us win this one. Vegas doesn't give away free money and installing us as a 3 point dog is terrifying because gamblers love betting us. We are gonna have to shoot the lights out tonight to have a chance.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT