ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Middle Tennessee @ Toledo, 6PM, Saturday, December 15, 2018

We're playing decent right now. Refs calling ticky tack fouls as Toledo is already almost in the bonus.

No reason to revert to being this bad. We just keep getting worse.

Had to stop watching. I’m getting extremely drunk next Friday after work before I go to Bridgestone!

Reactions: C-Bow
Flat out embarassing.

I understood we were going to be bad. I didn't think we would win a ton of games. But being flat out uncompetitive I did not expect.

Will we win another game this year?

Will we cover a spread this year?

Flat out embarassing.

I understood we were going to be bad. I didn't think we would win a ton of games. But being flat out uncompetitive I did not expect.

Will we win another game this year?

Will we cover a spread this year?
Maybe we will have some Bridgestone magic against Kermit. LOL who am I kidding we will probably lose by 40. Oh well.

If we beat Ole Miss & WKU but lose every other game I'd call this season a success.

Unfortunately, that isn't happening. Ole Miss is going to beat us by however many they want to beat us by.

I wonder how Kermit feels about what's happened to MT? Surely he has to have some sort of feelings towards a program that he helped achieve greatness. I wonder if he is disgusted by our pathetic performances, or happy to see us doing terrible because it makes it look like he was the reason we were good to begin with.

I'm not sure I could be more disappointed with the state of MT athletics right now. Basketball is abysmal and football is dying a slow, painful death.

It is so hard to be a fan of this university. I'm really not sure how much longer I can do it. I already find myself incredibly disinterested with both the basketball and football team. There were several football games I flat out turned off this year. I was finally starting to take a great interest in the basketball program because I love betting CBB and we've been great. But that interest has completely evaporated at this point.

I bet against MT Men's b-ball every time they are on the board and don't even bother watching the games anymore because I know the outcome. I watched Farleigh Dickinson vs. New Jersey Tech earlier INSTEAD of our Toledo game because I knew that game would at least be competitive. How sad is that?

I wonder how Kermit feels about what's happened to MT? Surely he has to have some sort of feelings towards a program that he helped achieve greatness. I wonder if he is disgusted by our pathetic performances, or happy to see us doing terrible because it makes it look like he was the reason we were good to begin with.

I'm not sure I could be more disappointed with the state of MT athletics right now. Basketball is abysmal and football is dying a slow, painful death.

It is so hard to be a fan of this university. I'm really not sure how much longer I can do it. I already find myself incredibly disinterested with both the basketball and football team. There were several football games I flat out turned off this year. I was finally starting to take a great interest in the basketball program because I love betting CBB and we've been great. But that interest has completely evaporated at this point.

I bet against MT Men's b-ball every time they are on the board and don't even bother watching the games anymore because I know the outcome. I watched Farleigh Dickinson vs. New Jersey Tech earlier INSTEAD of our Toledo game because I knew that game would at least be competitive. How sad is that?
NJIT is pretty good this year. I have yet to see them but they have a nice new arena that they recently built.

I am not sure what is more sad. Our basketball team or you pretending to be a fan for so long.

Reactions: kingaling42
To be fair to Wiley,

I know this is sort of crazy sounding in that I'm sort of speaking up for wiley, but in his defense he has never really pretended to be anything other than what he says seemingly almost uninhibited. People may disagree with what he says, but he never really struck me as pretending to be anything. To me, folks around here get wiley raw and unedited.

Hey Wiley, I tend to think age might be starting to catch up with you as you don't seem to be saying stuff that sounds bat crap crazy as much as you used to say. On the other hand, it could be me that has been quietly on a long descent into madness and dementia.

Hey Wiley, I tend to think age might be starting to catch up with you as you don't seem to be saying stuff that sounds bat crap crazy as much as you used to say. On the other hand, it could be me that has been quietly on a long descent into madness and dementia.

Probably a mixture of both

Reactions: dukewayne
It is no pleasant affair watching MT basketball these days. It does seem that the team almost looks to be getting worse instead of better. Maybe MT's opponents are improving with each game of the season so that it just looks like MT is getting worse. Whatever the case when a new team or any group of people get together to perform or accomplish some task or tasks, it is normal for the team or group to go through some rough spots or growing pains. After that adversity, then a team starts to figure out how to work together successfully.

How many football and basketball teams have any of us watched over the years that were a young and pretty bad team? That same team two or three years later then turns into a scary team to play as they grew together and gained tons of experience. A couple of C-USA teams come to mind from the last few years.

I want to think that Marshall went threw a few rough years in basketball until recently. Their age, experience, and team chemistry finally came together and they were dominant last year. Southern Miss is about to break out in basketball I suspect. USM's return has been slower due to the NCAA sanctions, but they are getting out of that now. I remember being real nervous in mid Feb last year when MT played down at Southern Miss. Then I think most know how it went a few weeks later in the first round of the conference tourney.

I don't know where all of this goes with MT basketball over the next few years. I think there is cause to be hopeful that CNM will be developing and growing the team over the next couple of years. Yes, it is currently dark and cold in the middle of this winter's doldrums, but bright sunshine will return again in the not to distant future.

Much is made of the lack of talent CNM has on the roster for this year's team. There weren't that many players left available when he had to find a lot players to fill out the roster. Legit concerns to be certain. That is not what frustrates me though. Most every game MT shows signs of being able to compete in most any game, but it seems MT is MT's own worst enemy. Again, to be expected for such a young team just now learning to play together.

All of that adds up to appear CNM just might have done a pretty good job of finding some talented and athletic players with good potential despite the year's pool of recruits having already been mostly taken. Jayce Johnson has really impressed me for a true freshman. He's tough, strong, athletic, and is reasonably aggressive. In the early going, Johnson is looking like an outstanding pick up. While a transfer such as Scurry rightly gets plenty of attention for being a good player, another young true freshman is gradually catching my attention. Junior Farquhar is starting to show some signs of good skills and potential. He is strong athletic and seems to have knack for being a natural PG. I'll end this lengthy post, but suffice it to say that I think CNM seems to a few young players capable of competing and eventually succeeding if they can start to put things together and learn to play as a team.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
Allow me a football to basketball comparison. The situation with basketball reminds me just a little of Boots Donnelly's first year of being the head football coach. I remember it well. I my first football season tickets in 1979. Boots was hired after a really bad four years of MT football, it doesn't get much worse. Already a team without much talent, when Boots took over, even more players left as the off season progressed. Most of 1979 season was Boots' freshman class getting experience, and not getting a single victory until the very last game against tennessee tech. The second season under Boots was not much better, but they did record two wins that next season (1980), and finally breaking through in 1981 with a winning season in 1981. It was a couple more seasons and they had an eleven win season and then were undefeated in the regular season the next year.

Basketball is a little easier to rebuild due to numbers, but this team reminds me of that first year of Boots. It was before the internet, message boards, facebook, twitter, etc. The feelings were concern and frustration and anger as the team lost game after game as well, but I think most fans realized that it was going to take time. It's harder coming off a great run under CKD to deal with the situation now... but the reality is this is an extremely young roster with not anywhere near the level of talent and experience needed to compete with the schedule out of conference and I suspect in conference as well.

wait a minute... we should be able to show up and win because he basketball program has a winning culture, darn it

Come on guys, give the team a break. They were behind by one point (17-16) in the first half. It's not their fault Toledo went on a 62-46 run to finish the game after that. Yes, Belmont beat UCLA and candy beat Arizona State and Lipscomb beat TCU. So? What does that prove? We get to play a game in Bridgestone Arena soon and none of them do. I expect to see an overflow crowd of blue-clad Raider fans there. Ole Miss ain't nothing. The SEC ain't nothing. Just watch. The Blue Raiders gonna represent, right there where the Preds play in front of a crowd twice as loud and rowdy as the hockey games have. Make that three times.

GO BLUE RAIDERS!!
murphy_centerIMG_20140301_163158_282.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT