ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Middle Tennessee (7-4, 1-0)vs Murray State (7-4,2-0) (ESPN+), 6PM, Wednesday, December 21, 2022

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
Enrollment: 10,998
Arena: CFSB Center (8,600)
Colors: Navy Blue & Gold Nickname: Racers
Conference: Missouri Valley
Head Coach: Steve Prohm
Record at School: 104-29 (5th Season) Record: 201-124 (11th Season)
Record at School: 104-29 (5th Season) Overall Record: 201-124 (11th Season)
2021-22 Record: 31-3, 18-0 2021-22 Finish: 1st OVC 2021-22 Postseason: NCAA Second Round
Starters R/L: 1/4 Letterwinners R/L: 1/12

Last edited:
Indeed a nice win. I felt coming into the game Murray would be more athletic than Chattanooga. The full court trap & interior dominance 44-24 in points scored very impressive. Glad to see there was no sulking after the loss.

Our full court press completely turned the game around. I have never seen a D1 basketball team get 4 different 10 seconds counts on another D1 team. Not sure exactly what we were doing but our team plays much more relaxed when we are up and down the floor. Our strength is our length at guard.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
I thought when the Murray State coach showed his @ss and got T'd up, that ended up being a huge game changer. The Racers were undisciplined and deserved the rout they ended up on the losing end of. I loved the loud mouth Racer fans sitting near me left with about 4 minutes left. I didn't get to shake my car keys at them.

Reactions: Hop45 and tyler90wm
Although this is not a great Murray team, any win over them IS great. We controlled the game and, as is typical of this team, played in spurts but never let it get under 10 points after halftime. Dish had another really good game and we had balanced scoring all over the lineup. I was also glad to see us drive to the hoop more and not just settle for 3-point attempts like we did with UTC. Speaking of UTC, saw where Belmont went on the road and beat them a couple of days ago...so not sure if that says how good a win Belmont was or how disappointing a loss UTC was. Likely a little of both.

Although this is not a great Murray team, any win over them IS great. We controlled the game and, as is typical of this team, played in spurts but never let it get under 10 points after halftime. Dish had another really good game and we had balanced scoring all over the lineup. I was also glad to see us drive to the hoop more and not just settle for 3-point attempts like we did with UTC. Speaking of UTC, saw where Belmont went on the road and beat them a couple of days ago...so not sure if that says how good a win Belmont was or how disappointing a loss UTC was. Likely a little of both.
With the parity in college basketball this year it's hard to draw conclusions on wins & losses. The portal is playing a huge roll. Murray for example replaced their whole team & immediately beat then #24 Texas A&M. They then go to Chattanooga & lose by 3 to the Mocs. Next Chatt plays a perfect game here in Murfreesboro against MT. We also beat Belmont on the road, but Belmont turns around & beats them. So much balance & parity I think it's sometimes a flip of the coin due to a team's game by game momentum & state of mind. Scenarios like those listed above are why I'll leave it to the pro's to lay down money come game time.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
What I liked was the defense at times. I have never seen an opponent fail to get the ball over mid court several times in a single game in Murphy Center before yet this squad's press did that. Not even Kermit's best defensive teams did that. These guys may not be the world beaters we all would like, but they are showing growth and improvement.

Reactions: MTFAN61
What I liked was the defense at times. I have never seen an opponent fail to get the ball over mid court several times in a single game in Murphy Center before yet this squad's press did that. Not even Kermit's best defensive teams did that. These guys may not be the world beaters we all would like, but they are showing growth and improvement.
I liked Nick's comment about having Elias at 6'8" leading the point on the press. His length is imposing at that position. With so many interchangeable parts, until someone makes us abandon it I would like to see us stick with the 1-3-1 press.

I liked Nick's comment about having Elias at 6'8" leading the point on the press. His length is imposing at that position. With so many interchangeable parts, until someone makes us abandon it I would like to see us stick with the 1-3-1 press.
Oh yea. He was impressively disruptive at the front of that attack. Every game now, King continues to impress the fire out of me. Sure, Lenard has the high-flying acrobatics that are more than impressive. Weston seems to be settling in at the point, and he is really showing flashes of scary good play. Then Dishman, what a warrior. He gives up height in the frontcourt, but he more than makes up for it with strength, smarts, and toughness.

King impresses me with his polish. It's like, where did that come from? He went from mostly on the bench and looking lost on the floor to dramatically more minutes that are highly effective. It's almost like he jumped over a stage of development to just possessing polish. He is not showy, but he is silky smooth. I'm no expert on such matters, but he appears to possess a really high basketball IQ. King just seems to know where he's at on the floor at all times and within the flow of the game. To borrow from other coaches, especially Kermit, King seems to let the game come to him. King then knows where and when to position himself to let the game come to him.

There are a number of players on this team with impressive skills and abilities. I think what makes King stand out to me as the most impressive is the subtleness of his incredible play. To me, that subtle outstanding play borders on amazing to watch.

Oh yea. He was impressively disruptive at the front of that attack. Every game now, King continues to impress the fire out of me. Sure, Lenard has the high-flying acrobatics that are more than impressive. Weston seems to be settling in at the point, and he is really showing flashes of scary good play. Then Dishman, what a warrior. He gives up height in the frontcourt, but he more than makes up for it with strength, smarts, and toughness.

King impresses me with his polish. It's like, where did that come from? He went from mostly on the bench and looking lost on the floor to dramatically more minutes that are highly effective. It's almost like he jumped over a stage of development to just possessing polish. He is not showy, but he is silky smooth. I'm no expert on such matters, but he appears to possess a really high basketball IQ. King just seems to know where he's at on the floor at all times and within the flow of the game. To borrow from other coaches, especially Kermit, King seems to let the game come to him. King then knows where and when to position himself to let the game come to him.

There are a number of players on this team with impressive skills and abilities. I think what makes King stand out to me as the most impressive is the subtleness of his incredible play. To me, that subtle outstanding play borders on amazing to watch.
Wow, that pretty high praise for a guy that this time last year was not even getting to play! I agree, sometimes you just see the light go on with kids…. It’s flickering with Leonard and when it finally happens, watch out!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT