ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Middle Tennessee (5-15, 2-5) @ North Texas (17-3, 5-2), 5PM, Saturday, January 26, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
excerpt:

The Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders will match up against the North Texas Mean Green in college basketball action Saturday.

Middle Tennessee enters this one at 5-15 on the season. After two straight wins over UTSA and UTEP, the Raiders took a loss in their last outing versus Rice on Thursday.

In the loss to Rice, the Raiders’ Reggie Scurry doubled up with his 22 points and 12 rebounds. Karl Gamble added 13 points and four rebounds for the Raiders in that one, and Antonio Green logged 10 points with five rebounds.

Over on the North Texas side, they’re 17-3 this year. The Mean Green have slipped up a little bit lately however, with a win over Rice sandwiched between losses to UTSA and UAB in their last three outings.

In the loss to the Blazers, North Texas’ top scorer was Umoja Gibson, with 15 points, two rebounds and two assists. Roosevelt Smart (10 points) and Michael Miller (11 points; seven rebounds) were also in double-figures for the Green there.

The Raiders are 2-9 ATS in their last 11 road games and 1-6 ATS in their last seven Saturday games. Middle Tennessee is also 5-17 ATS in their last 22 overall and 3-11 ATS in their last 14 following a straight-up loss.

Meanwhile, the Eagles are 1-5 ATS in their last six Saturday games and 1-5 ATS in their last six overall. North Texas is 1-5 ATS in their last six versus CUSA and 0-8 ATS in their last eight home games.

Middle Tennessee has some scorers on their roster; it’s just that they give up points in bunches and can’t realistically keep up. That said, the Raiders have been doing better on that front across the last three games.....

can MT cover the first half line is the real question. Got them +7.5

Reactions: C-Bow
This team is a joke. People talk about improvement but there's just no way. Like I said previously I'm done with this team for this year so I only glanced at the score and box score, but good god. How bad can a team be? We look decent against teams with similar records like UTEP, had 1 good shooting night against UTSA, and that's it. We face any team with a pulse and we get POUNDED into oblivion. Things better look drastically different next year because it looks like hell in a hand basket this year and not good at all for McDevitt. Feels like we could have zero coaches on the bench and let our players play pick-up style and get similar results. Despicable.

This team is a joke. People talk about improvement but there's just no way. Like I said previously I'm done with this team for this year so I only glanced at the score and box score, but good god. How bad can a team be? We look decent against teams with similar records like UTEP, had 1 good shooting night against UTSA, and that's it. We face any team with a pulse and we get POUNDED into oblivion. Things better look drastically different next year because it looks like hell in a hand basket this year and not good at all for McDevitt. Feels like we could have zero coaches on the bench and let our players play pick-up style and get similar results. Despicable.

Wiley’s just mad cuz OleMiss lost today & 3 of their last 4.. But you can always bank on him showing up here when MTSU isnt playing well..

Otherwise shooting will make or break any team result.. right now MTSU can’t buy an outside shot- but the difference is that they’re getting good looks off of the offensive action.. before they were just jacking up bad shots.. the results aren’t different on the scoreboard but it’s a better look..

The guys finally started hitting shots with 5 minutes left in the game

Wiley’s just mad cuz OleMiss lost today & 3 of their last 4.. But you can always bank on him showing up here when MTSU isnt playing well..

Otherwise shooting will make or break any team result.. right now MTSU can’t buy an outside shot- but the difference is that they’re getting good looks off of the offensive action.. before they were just jacking up bad shots.. the results aren’t different on the scoreboard but it’s a better look..

And during Kermit’s mediocre years Wiley said he would never go to another game while he was coach, then changed it to until they go to the NCAA, then became a real fan when they won. So nothing new.

This was not a game where they were taking bad shots. Just one of those nights. If you don’t watch the game do not comment. If you had watched the game you would have been upset about them giving up too many offensive rebounds, but they just had a terrible shooting night across the board. Mostly good shot, just not falling.

And increased turnovers didn’t help.. NT did a good job speeding MTSU up in the half court with aggressive defense, double teams and passing lane denials.. that helped the low shooting percentage as the guys were open but not comfortable shooting (hurried) it seemed..

Reactions: crposton
Dx5AR6OU0AAmBns.jpg

We can always bank on you to be the “king” of optimism regarding mcdevitt and his system.

I prefer being a radical realist myself. How are the UNCA boards these days.... Are you gushing with optimism over there as well?

Are you Wiley’s daddy? Just wondering why you’re coming to his rescue... or maybe I kicked your dog and didn’t realize it..

If you’re truly a realist show me where I posted anything in this thread that wasn’t real.. I’ll wait..

Last edited:
As for the game, not that it had any influence on the outcome, did any of you think that several of the charging calls on us were questionable? Of the 6 (?) I thought 2 were correct, two could have gone either way, and two were obviously missed (the NT defender was clearly moving laterally at the time of the contact). Of course, because there are so many "power" conference games on Sat, as opposed to Thurs., the officiating is usually bad on Sat.

Message to kingaling42: Perhaps you didn't see my last post in the UTSA thread. I would appreciate a response unless you have said all you want to say on the subject which is your prerogative. Thanks

Reactions: kingaling42
I have some perspective. Here is mine. I haven't watched much since we came out of our one-(D1)win non-conference portion of our schedule but watched the UTSA game from end to end. And we almost played that game like every other game this season. Look somewhat competent early and then look like a intramural team the rest of the way. The UTSA game is one of those where one team simply plays way over its head and the other team was flat - well at least for the first 35 minutes. I mean we had a forward with a handful of threes all season that couldn't miss from outside. You usually get one game a season like that where you just can't do anything wrong. And yet we still almost blew it. Think about the fact that we blew a 21 point lead in the final 3 minutes and UTSA had a chance to tie in the final 30 seconds. We could play that UTSA team 100 times and would probably only win it two or three times.

The UTEP was a contest of the prettiest ugly girl. UTEP is in a very similar situation to us decimated by coaching change and short-handed roster. Winning>Losing but that game didn't tell us much about progress. Neither game told us much about progress in terms of a trend. UTEP is the only D1 game this season we had a plus assist to turnover ratio. So, if they can do that a second time in a row and do it on the road then maybe you can say we are starting to establish some chemistry and showing improvement. But then you have to turn around and play the top team in the league so far this season again on the road. I believe this weekend will tell you whether there is anything to hang your hat on here. The one place we have shown improvement is we are shooting the ball better the past couple of weeks. So, if you can can continue to shoot in the mid to upper 40's while also demonstrating a positive turnover to assist ratio then I'm feeling better about the direction.

That's what I'm looking for. What I'm hoping for. This weekend will tell us a lot.

Tell us a lot it did. Shot 36% and had 21 assists vs 33 turnovers on the road trip. There is no positive trend transpiring. Nothing to get excited about. UTSA was an anomaly and UTEP was just beating another bad team.

We just aren’t a good shooting team. Turnovers are down and assists are up still ratio is really bad. As a whole I question are shot selection. Inconsistent comes with being a young team. I do see some improvements most nights.

A team with only 5 wins. I know this Kingaling dude is a fan of CNM and has a case of chapstick he's burning through but come on, CNM is on a Randy Weil level right now. Will he stay there? If he doesn't get at least 12 wins next year, then we'll have our answer.

Wiley may be a pessimist or a brutal realist at times but he's been a die hard and has posted on here for over 16 years. He's not wrong about this team either. His opinion may not be appreciated but he's dead on. This program is an absolute crap show right now. It's not watchable so I'm not watching it now. I watched closely until I got fed up. I check the box scores. That's it. Our assistants straight up suck with the HC looking like a deer in the headlights. It looks like he has no plan. Wiley hit the nail on the head with that one as well.

Here's a look at the next 6 games...

Wed, Jan 30
vsUAB
6:30 PM

Sat, Feb 2
@UAB
7:00 PM

Thu, Feb 7
vsCharlotte
Sat, Feb 9
vsOld Dominion

Thu, Feb 14
@Western Kentucky

Sat, Feb 16
@Marshall
1:00 PM

The schedule fills in the final 4 games I believe after the 16th when it matters for a lot of teams. Not us. Out of the 6, we may beat Charlotte since it's at home. That would lock us in as next to last with us not making the CUSA tourney if the last 4 games are vs. teams above .500. I see us playing Charlotte, Marshall, ODU and WKU again. If we don't make the tourney, there's no excuse in the world that would justify that. Sorry, but there it is. We have to win at least 3-4 more games to maybe get into the tourney. I just don't see it happening.

Y'all can call this a negative post. That's fine but this year is done already. I hope new the Baseball coach can get us back in postseason.

Reactions: MTTim and amgtmom
A team with only 5 wins. I know this Kingaling dude is a fan of CNM and has a case of chapstick he's burning through but come on, CNM is on a Randy Weil level right now. Will he stay there? If he doesn't get at least 12 wins next year, then we'll have our answer.

Wiley may be a pessimist or a brutal realist at times but he's been a die hard and has posted on here for over 16 years. He's not wrong about this team either. His opinion may not be appreciated but he's dead on. This program is an absolute crap show right now. It's not watchable so I'm not watching it now. I watched closely until I got fed up. I check the box scores. That's it. Our assistants straight up suck with the HC looking like a deer in the headlights. It looks like he has no plan. Wiley hit the nail on the head with that one as well.

Here's a look at the next 6 games...

Wed, Jan 30
vsUAB

Sat, Feb 2
@UAB
7:00 PM

Thu, Feb 7
vsCharlotte
Sat, Feb 9
vsOld Dominion

Thu, Feb 14
@Western Kentucky

Sat, Feb 16
@Marshall
1:00 PM

The schedule fills in the final 4 games I believe after the 16th when it matters for a lot of teams. Not us. Out of the 6, we may beat Charlotte since it's at home. That would lock us in as next to last with us not making the CUSA tourney if the last 4 games are vs. teams above .500. I see us playing Charlotte, Marshall, ODU and WKU again. If we don't make the tourney, there's no excuse in the world that would justify that. Sorry, but there it is. We have to win at least 3-4 more games to maybe get into the tourney. I just don't see it happening.

Y'all can call this a negative post. That's fine but this year is done already. I hope new the Baseball coach can get us back in postseason.

I guess I’ll cancel your ‘Trust The Process’ t-shirt order...

There’s others on this board who have the same positive outlook and observations as I do- I don’t see you coming at them at a personal level so what is your hard-on for me JT? I’ve been honest about who I am, my recent interest in MTSU, & I enjoy talking basketball and banter.. if you don’t like me- f$&k you, I’ve been generally courteous and informative of the questions many have asked.. comment on the team how you want but keep my name out of your posts..

I went at Wiley because he posted all that bile without so much as daring to watch the actual game.. and he typically says quite bit that is unrealistic if you’re into policing all those types of things... commenting while not watching the game, that’s not the actions of a die hard fan.. the reality is that through struggles you find out who the true (blue) fans are..

As for the result son the roads.. the reality is that this team has almost exclusively role players as I’ve mentioned before and it’s obvious for those watching.. the adage that role players don’t shoot/play well on the road is to be expected.. they play really hard, they don’t quit, and they are making progress and starting to digest what is being instructed.. they are limited by aptitude and that is equally to blame on the current staff as well as the former coaches.

Are you going to support YOUR team or are you going to sit in the Ole Miss suite and wear opposing team gear to home games in the Murphy Center like the Grensings have done recently? I mean if we being brutally realistic- how True Blue are you?

Look JT - we are paying the price for Kermits recruiting philosophy and the way he ran the program...its like he had a great run in Vegas but got out of town when he realized the gig is up. Everything that has gone wrong this year is Kermits fault, ALL OF IT. Someone please find me another situation like this in the last 10 years in all of college basketball - I am having anger issues with him and the way he left the program.

As far as I'm concerned CNM gets this year and all of next year before I have any expectations. He inherited a shit show.

Mike's point is valid. If you look at the other teams that return such little percentages of the team's production, not a single one of those team's has a winning record including Wichita St. Kermit does shoulder this blame to an extent. For this year. Not next year. If he's as good as King says he flips this in year two. You can make over a basketball roster in the blink of an eye, so he was hired to fix the mess left by Kermit, so fix it. He clearly wasn't hired to keep the momentum going.

It's ironic to see the banter on this board now. I said it over and over again that - at best - this team would win 7 to 9 games (counting the glorified exhibitions). I laid out every reason why we were going to be awful and people kept talking .500 season while hedging their views with the..."well it's just his first year so we'll have to give him time" and trying the find the lipstick for the pig. So, I don't know why it wasn't obvious to everyone what was coming. I had no expectations for this year. This year has played out exactly like I thought it would though CNM has looked a bit more lost than I expected. That's the only thing that has me a little concerned. But I do have expectations for next year. He needs to clean up the roster, which I expect he will. Doubling the win total at a minimum. If he gets to .500 I will consider that a win. If he produces another six or seven win season then it's time to start getting a little worried.

Mike's point is valid. If you look at the other teams that return such little percentages of the team's production, not a single one of those team's has a winning record including Wichita St. Kermit does shoulder this blame to an extent. For this year. Not next year. If he's as good as King says he flips this in year two. You can make over a basketball roster in the blink of an eye, so he was hired to fix the mess left by Kermit, so fix it. He clearly wasn't hired to keep the momentum going.

It's ironic to see the banter on this board now. I said it over and over again that - at best - this team would win 7 to 9 games (counting the glorified exhibitions). I laid out every reason why we were going to be awful and people kept talking .500 season while hedging their views with the..."well it's just his first year so we'll have to give him time" and trying the find the lipstick for the pig. So, I don't know why it wasn't obvious to everyone what was coming. I had no expectations for this year. This year has played out exactly like I thought it would though CNM has looked a bit more lost than I expected. That's the only thing that has me a little concerned. But I do have expectations for next year. He needs to clean up the roster, which I expect he will. Doubling the win total at a minimum. If he gets to .500 I will consider that a win. If he produces another six or seven win season then it's time to start getting a little worried.

This is a reasonable post that I agree with. I'm just pissed to see our program take such a nose dive after being so good for so long. Kermit gets the majority of the blame but McDevitt has to take a little bit here because whatever he is trying to do clearly is not working or being effective yet. I hope he can flip the roster next year and make us great again but a fair and realistic expectation is a .500 season, which just sucks in my eyes.

I just wanna see big time talent recruited. Mostly 3 and 4 star players and some gem-in-the-rough 2 stars. If the majority of our prospects are 2 star we are going nowhere fast. Most 2 star players are not going to help you win championships and that's just the facts. Spare me the diamonds in the rough he found at UNCA, you've gotta find those as well AND sign 3* and 4* players.

You've gotta have the 4 star players either as transfers or out of high school and you've gotta be able to develop and utilize them to the best of their abilities with your team. That's what took Kermit and MT to the next level when he started bringing in those major talent transfers like Dendy, Nick King, JaCorey Williams, etc. and he utilized their abilities to the absolute fullest extent. That's what great coaches do. The transfers Kermit brought in basically did nothing at their previous schools, but Kermit was such a good coach that he could bring them in and get 110% out of them night in, night out. Kermit Davis morphed into a scary good coach and will no doubt he successful in Oxford. That man just knows the game of basketball, period.

We are gonna find out real soon with this years recruiting class if McDevitt can take us back to the promised land. I don't need to see next season's results or even the following seasons results. I need to see serious talent being signed with this next class. That's what wins games.

Hey I resolved to not comment but your comment is out of line. I don't know what you are trying to imply about what the Grensings are wearing to the games but you are off base. Coach has worn an MTSU shirt a couple of times and the other times just wore what he had on for the day. A comment about what the "Grensings" wear to the game is out of line. Why are you judging us? We have come and supported more than most would have done and doing our best to do so with class. Trust me, we hate all this losing probably more than most. Done.
I guess I’ll cancel your ‘Trust The Process’ t-shirt order...

There’s others on this board who have the same positive outlook and observations as I do- I don’t see you coming at them at a personal level so what is your hard-on for me JT? I’ve been honest about who I am, my recent interest in MTSU, & I enjoy talking basketball and banter.. if you don’t like me- f$&k you, I’ve been generally courteous and informative of the questions many have asked.. comment on the team how you want but keep my name out of your posts..

I went at Wiley because he posted all that bile without so much as daring to watch the actual game.. and he typically says quite bit that is unrealistic if you’re into policing all those types of things... commenting while not watching the game, that’s not the actions of a die hard fan.. the reality is that through struggles you find out who the true (blue) fans are..

As for the result son the roads.. the reality is that this team has almost exclusively role players as I’ve mentioned before and it’s obvious for those watching.. the adage that role players don’t shoot/play well on the road is to be expected.. they play really hard, they don’t quit, and they are making progress and starting to digest what is being instructed.. they are limited by aptitude and that is equally to blame on the current staff as well as the former coaches.

Are you going to support YOUR team or are you going to sit in the Ole Miss suite and wear opposing team gear to home games in the Murphy Center like the Grensings have done recently? I mean if we being brutally realistic- how True Blue are you?

Hey I resolved to not comment but your comment is out of line. I don't know what you are trying to imply about what the Grensings are wearing to the games but you are off base. Coach has worn an MTSU shirt a couple of times and the other times just wore what he had on for the day. A comment about what the "Grensings" wear to the game is out of line. Why are you judging us? We have come and supported more than most would have done and doing our best to do so with class. Trust me, we hate all this losing probably more than most. Done.

Thank you for your continued support of the program despite Greg not working for the University anymore. We had some golden times with him here on staff and hopefully we can return to those great times again in the near future.

Whoever said this team would go .500 this year? Lol

Kermit can kiss my rear. This has his handiwork all over it.

Like the serious talent WKU signed? Signing talent wins games? How many of Kermit's best players were 3* and 4*? If he had we would be in better shape than we are now. Here is the deal. Everyone needs to take a step back and realize that we all want the same thing. We can trash each other and this team on this board or we can choose not to. No one thinks this team is good. I choose not to trash a group of young men that are in positions they should not be in. The ones that were brought in under Kermit did not sign up for this and the ones brought in under McDevitt are being asked to do more than they are capable of at the moment. I think we very well can be a .500 team next year. Just looking at the end of our bench and the depth we will have next year from the guys sitting out. We also will not play the 4th worst OOC schedule.

I am sick of seeing every trash each other and the team. This year sucks and no one thinks that more than the players and the coaches. There is improvement. Maybe not on the scoreboard, but I see it. The turnovers are less bad decisions and lazy passes and more offensive fouls and traveling calls. Still a turnover, but better. The shot selection is better. Is it a shock a young and inexperienced team struggles on the road and against the teams we played in the OOC? The FAU and FIU games to me are the ones I want back the most. Negativity brings us nowhere. We all agree Nick should not be judged based on this season. Why don't we try to focus on the positive or just not focus at all. We are all on the same team.

Greg should have been our coach. We would be in a different place right now if we had him. We wouldn't be turning it over 20+ times a game and we would run something called a real defense. He would have gotten some better role players in here who could compete better as well. The fact that the Grensings still come to the game is a testament to their support and how classy they are. He should have been our coach. That's how I'm always gonna feel. Massaro is an idiot. 5 wins and players who can't pass a ball proves that much.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT