ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Middle Tennessee (5-15, 2-5) @ North Texas (17-3, 5-2), 5PM, Saturday, January 26, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I’ll cancel your ‘Trust The Process’ t-shirt order...

There’s others on this board who have the same positive outlook and observations as I do- I don’t see you coming at them at a personal level so what is your hard-on for me JT? I’ve been honest about who I am, my recent interest in MTSU, & I enjoy talking basketball and banter.. if you don’t like me- f$&k you, I’ve been generally courteous and informative of the questions many have asked.. comment on the team how you want but keep my name out of your posts..

I went at Wiley because he posted all that bile without so much as daring to watch the actual game.. and he typically says quite bit that is unrealistic if you’re into policing all those types of things... commenting while not watching the game, that’s not the actions of a die hard fan.. the reality is that through struggles you find out who the true (blue) fans are..

As for the result son the roads.. the reality is that this team has almost exclusively role players as I’ve mentioned before and it’s obvious for those watching.. the adage that role players don’t shoot/play well on the road is to be expected.. they play really hard, they don’t quit, and they are making progress and starting to digest what is being instructed.. they are limited by aptitude and that is equally to blame on the current staff as well as the former coaches.

Are you going to support YOUR team or are you going to sit in the Ole Miss suite and wear opposing team gear to home games in the Murphy Center like the Grensings have done recently? I mean if we being brutally realistic- how True Blue are you?

Kingaling, I have no quarrel with you. I don't get why you keep posting over here unless you have a deep personal connection to this dude but hey, it's a free country. I'm not going on Ole Miss boards defending Kermit but again, that's your right. It's a little sad but again, please feel free to come on here defending a mediocre coach and a completely inept coaching staff running a offensive style that doesn't work in this conference. Go for it.

I don't have to trust a process. This program and it's leadership doesn't seem to know what a process is. 5 wins indicates that much. I also don't need to be lectured on being a "real fan" either. I'm angry. Just a couple people destroyed an entire program in less than a year. We are 7-10 years and a couple of coaches away from being remotely close to where we once were. How it all went down is unacceptable. It's what it is but I damn sure don't have to like it. If this dude can move the needle then great, but I just don't see it.

Kingaling, I have no quarrel with you. I don't get why you keep posting over here unless you have a deep personal connection to this dude but hey, it's a free country. I'm not going on Ole Miss boards defending Kermit but again, that's your right. It's a little sad but again, please feel free to come on here defending a mediocre coach and a completely inept coaching staff running a offensive style that doesn't work in this conference. Go for it.

I don't have to trust a process. This program and it's leadership doesn't seem to know what a process is. 5 wins indicates that much. I also don't need to be lectured on being a "real fan" either. I'm angry. Just a couple people destroyed an entire program in less than a year. We are 7-10 years and a couple of coaches away from being remotely close to where we once were. How it all went down is unacceptable. It's what it is but I damn sure don't have to like it. If this dude can move the needle then great, but I just don't see it.
And if he does will you just forget you said all of this? Will you admit you are wrong? I think you are grossly wrong here. Mediocre and inept? How many wins does Kermit have right now with this team and this schedule? I would not bet on a lot more than we have now if any. Lets just trash a guy and call him sad for being loyal and standing up for a friend. This is so pathetic. Our team is bad. We all agree. When we are winning I do not want you to enjoy that. You probably will, but that will just show how fake you are. I do not know you, but I can see you as one that will trash the team when they are down then hang on their coattails when they are good. All I ask is that we as fans are there through the good and the bad. If you cannot be here and support the team in the bad then please go away.

Greg should have been our coach. We would be in a different place right now if we had him. We wouldn't be turning it over 20+ times a game and we would run something called a real defense. He would have gotten some better role players in here who could compete better as well. The fact that the Grensings still come to the game is a testament to their support and how classy they are. He should have been our coach. That's how I'm always gonna feel. Massaro is an idiot. 5 wins and players who can't pass a ball proves that much.
I wanted Greg too. He would have been a great coach, but I do not know he could have made us much more successful this year. Maybe he would have and maybe he wouldn't have. He would have gotten a pass too. This was and is a really tough situation. 11 new players which 4 of them cannot play right now. Those 4 would provide much needed depth and experience. This time next year we will know more. Until then we simply do not know. Greg deserves to be a head coach. Not McDevitt's fault he was hired and wanted something better for himself and his family. Same with Kermit. We can say we wanted Greg and still support McDevitt because he is our coach.

Reactions: amgtmom
And if he does will you just forget you said all of this? Will you admit you are wrong? I think you are grossly wrong here. Mediocre and inept? How many wins does Kermit have right now with this team and this schedule? I would not bet on a lot more than we have now if any. Lets just trash a guy and call him sad for being loyal and standing up for a friend. This is so pathetic. Our team is bad. We all agree. When we are winning I do not want you to enjoy that. You probably will, but that will just show how fake you are. I do not know you, but I can see you as one that will trash the team when they are down then hang on their coattails when they are good. All I ask is that we as fans are there through the good and the bad. If you cannot be here and support the team in the bad then please go away.

If I'm wrong, I will gladly admit it but I don't think I will be. His product thus far isn't even mediocre yet so I was actually complimenting him. :) His style just doesn't work in this conference and fundamentals and defense is clearly not stressed. The assistants aren't good in my opinion. What kind of question are you even asking regarding Kermit? It doesn't even make sense. I have nothing against the Kingaling guy. I just didn't get the need to come on here and lecture people who he doesn't know who support a program he isn't a part of while lecturing about being true to our school. Try doing that on an SEC team board and see what happens. LOL. I was super nice in comparison to that.

By the way dude, calm the hell down. People can have differing opinions. Would you rather keep looking for a silver lining when we can't complete a pass in the front court? Yeah, I'm fake. LOL. I've showed up for games here when 500 people or less were in the stands and I'm posting on this board with less than 50 die hard fans that post on a regular basis at midnight on a Monday. I admire your loyalty and all but we can agree to disagree. It is possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: crposton
Hey I resolved to not comment but your comment is out of line. I don't know what you are trying to imply about what the Grensings are wearing to the games but you are off base. Coach has worn an MTSU shirt a couple of times and the other times just wore what he had on for the day. A comment about what the "Grensings" wear to the game is out of line. Why are you judging us? We have come and supported more than most would have done and doing our best to do so with class. Trust me, we hate all this losing probably more than most. Done.
Thank you for continuing your support. I am one who voiced my support for Greg directly to the AD. He was the right choice.

Reactions: amgtmom
Thank you for continuing your support. I am one who voiced my support for Greg directly to the AD. He was the right choice.

And he would probably have the same record as Nick. I like Greg but if he was such a hot commodity why did Kermit not take him to Oxford?

As for who can post here and be considered a fan; If only from a far, If only when they have something negative to post, If they are only a casual Blue Raider fan, If their only connection is that they are a friend of a coach, If they are a family member of a previous coach. Welcome, Welcome, Welcome!!! We need you all.

For every fan who sits in the stands at every Alabama home FB game there are 100s who consider themselves Bama fans and additionally there are 1000s who keep up with the Tide. If only we had more who keep up with MT athletics, even as casual fans. (I only have close connections to the two in-state $EC teams but because of where I live I am forced to keep up with every damn one of those teams if I follow area sports media) Unless you are talking to the VU troll don't run posters away. Call them out, present your opinion, argue if you must; but do not attempt to shut down MT talk on this board.

Stop the insanity about Greg - who by the way seems like a great guy. But to say this should have been his job is silly.

Make no mistake this is a REBUILD. Having someone from the previous regime be our coach when we are starting over makes no logical sense.

Greg would have ran a similar style to Kermit which worked in this conference. He ran the practice schedules and knew the regimens that work. He knew the discipline it took to win and knew some great assistants who would help him shoulder the load. He had relationships with players and knew how to get the most out of his guys. He's a player's coach. I do believe he would have done better than Nick. Long term success? I have no crystal ball but I think the rebuild wouldn't have been as extreme with Greg as it is now and the climb wouldn't be as uphill as it is now. It would have been simple. Tell Greg he's the interim and give him a trial year or 2. The risk is minimal then. If it doesn't work out then go full court press and get the guy you really want. We would have time to do it properly then if we had to. If Massaro wasn't a complete idiot, that would have been the obvious play.

The players we had left over were brought in to run a totally different style of play which Greg would have kept running. CNM is running a completely different style which throws the baby out with the bath water. I question it because it usually doesn't work and the formula to win here had been established. It's spilt milk but Massaro screwed the pooch in my eyes and we won't see north of .500 for a long time.

Last edited:
Reactions: MTTim
And he would probably have the same record as Nick. I like Greg but if he was such a hot commodity why did Kermit not take him to Oxford?

He had his family to consider and they love it here. He was older and wanted to be an HC. He opted to stay and went after this job. Who were we competing with to get CNM?

One problem with your ‘simple’ solution: It’s awfully hard to recruit new players if you’re an interim coach.. that’s a lame duck situation.

Whoever said this team would go .500 this year? Lol

Kermit can kiss my rear. This has his handiwork all over it.

Quite a few including a few on this thread. Go back and look at preseason and after the first two semi exhibition games.

Our recruiting is really amazing right now so I. LOL
One problem with your ‘simple’ solution: It’s awfully hard to recruit new players if you’re an interim coach.. that’s a lame duck situation.

Yeah, because we're killing it on the recruiting trail right now. LOL It's also awfully hard to get top flight talent on a 5 win team running an awkward scheme in a conference it never worked in before. I don't think that would be that big of a deal. If he got more than 10 wins, you make him permanent anyway. If it goes to hell, you pull the kill switch with time to court the guy that makes sense in the league you play in.

Last edited:
Our recruiting is really amazing right now so I. LOL

Yeah, because we're killing it on the recruiting trail right now. LOL

I hate to break it to you but it’ll take time..

Educate me on which recent players were Grensings recruits? I know I t wasn’t the kids that we’re coming in that followed CKD..

He had his family to consider and they love it here. He was older and wanted to be an HC. He opted to stay and went after this job. Who were we competing with to get CNM?

We weren't competing with anyone when we got Kermit either...so not a good argument. IMO Massaro did not "screw the pooch"...Kermit screwed the pooch, the university, and every true Blue Raider fan the way he left the program and then kicked us in the pills by taking 2 of 3 previously committed players.

We weren't competing with anyone when we got Kermit either...so not a good argument. IMO Massaro did not "screw the pooch"...Kermit screwed the pooch, the university, and every true Blue Raider fan the way he left the program and then kicked us in the pills by taking 2 of 3 previously committed players.

Late in the process a search committee chair did reach out to CNM and urged him to not accept the MTSU job before meeting with another program.. that school would’ve offered more than MTSU and he declined that request as well as 1 other offer.. he liked everything about what MTSU had presented..

Massaro didn't hire Kermit. Coaches leave. It's how you handle the departure and it was not handled well IMO.

This can go on and on forever. I'm glad you guys are on his side. I see it differently and that's ok. 5 wins and no conference tourney says a lot to me and that could have been avoided. However, next year is next year so we will see. This time last year, we were 17-5. Now we are 5-16.

Massaro didn't hire Kermit. Coaches leave. It's how you handle the departure and it was not handled well IMO.

I did not say Massaro hired Kermit...just that we were not competing with anyone for him. And comparing last years 17-5 record with this years record...really? With the shape the program was left in what did we expect? Most people wanted to get rid of Kermit halfway thru his tenure as he had not won anything...and we know what happened. So not sure why you expect CNM to do the impossible with the players we have this year and the scorched earth remains from the CKD era.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlueAlpha
This can go on and on forever. I'm glad you guys are on his side. I see it differently and that's ok. 5 wins and no conference tourney says a lot to me and that could have been avoided. However, next year is next year so we will see. This time last year, we were 17-5. Now we are 5-16.

For someone who claims to be a realist- you are blatantly ignoring a lot of real developments outside of just the coaching change that are reflective of where the team stands.. especially in comparison to last seasons record..

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
I bet we would have at least twice as many wins.
Kermit strongly recommended Greg for the job. Greg would have been a perfect fit. CM said he wanted advice from Kermit on who should take over. CM did not listen however let our President make the decision. Both at the top screwed up.

Reactions: blueraiderJT
I bet we would have at least twice as many wins.
Kermit strongly recommended Greg for the job. Greg would have been a perfect fit. CM said he wanted advice from Kermit on who should take over. CM did not listen however let our President make the decision. Both at the top screwed up.

CKD and CNM are friends and have the same agent.. you do realize CKD provided input on him too right?

Last edited:

We could have stopped that. Massaro could have stopped that. We could have prevented them from going to teams on our schedule the next 2-3 years.

Simple fact is we can argue all day about if he was right, but its likely unless we retained Dixon, Johnson, etc. and maybe one of those good recruits, no matter who the coach is we would have stunk anyway. Next year will tell if he's good or at least progressing. I wasn't a fan of the hire since he only coached one place, and that one place also produced Randy Wiel. But I'm doing my best not to judge the hire and team.

Reactions: blueraiderJT
For someone who claims to be a realist- you are blatantly ignoring a lot of real developments outside of just the coaching change that are reflective of where the team stands.. especially in comparison to last seasons record..

...And your position isn't biased at all? All I said is that within a year, we went from leading the pack to being a bottom feeder. We did not have to be destined for that fate.

...And your position isn't biased at all? All I said is that within a year, we went from leading the pack to being a bottom feeder. We did not have to be destined for that fate.

Yes people are on CNMs side.. question is for you as a self-proclaimed die hard fan why wouldn’t you be as well? Unless you have another agenda then you would want to believe in the head guy for your program- especially given the short amount of time he’s been in the position and the inherited rebuild.

Yes I’m biased in terms of my belief of my friend for the future.. but I’ve also seen what he can do once his players are in place. So it’s not just blind allegiance.. I also wasn’t promoting sunshine & rainbows anywhere in this game thread nor was I lecturing anyone except Wiley who didn’t watch the game..

However, the destiny of MTSU for this year was predetermined by the lack of player development far before the coaching change.. where is the continuity of a pipeline for the next King, Potts etc..? There are some nice complimentary parts but no studs.. as a senior with years of practice with CKD/Grensing etc why does Gamble have poor hands and no back to the basket post ability? He’s got a decent turn/face up game.. I’ve even debated that there isn’t a true starter on this current roster.. the change in system didn’t make these guys poor ball handlers, terrible passers at times or forget man-man defensive principles- these are things they know but theyre thinking instead of reacting.. the team lacks scorers and the system in place has little to do with guys ability to put the ball in the basket during open looks..

in fact you keep mentioning how CNMs system doesn’t work in this league- but based on many of posts I question if you all have any idea what his system is... hint: it’s not a fast paced as you’re forecasting (it’s not The Citadel or shoot within the first 8 seconds of the shot clock)- but it is more offensive oriented than what you’ve had and certainly not a grinding style either.. North Texas plays with pace- doesn’t seem to be hurting them in league play..

In early June this was a potentially middle of the pack team.. once the roster took the other hits this was a totally different task with different timelines.. if you didn’t picture that you’re not being a realist.

LOL Whatever. This is an endless discussion. I'll believe in CNM's success when I see it. Right now, I'm not holding my breath. Not making our conference tourney. LOL. Come on. When have we not at least made our own conference tourney? I think it might have been Weil who came from the same place.

Let's just agree to disagree. I'm not moving off my position one bit and you obviously aren't either. I'm predicting 1-5 for in the next 6 games. Let's see what he can do.

LOL Whatever. This is an endless discussion. I'll believe in CNM's success when I see it. Right now, I'm not holding my breath. Not making our conference tourney. LOL. Come on. When have we not at least made our own conference tourney? I think it might have been Weil who came from the same place.

Let's just agree to disagree. I'm not moving off my position one bit and you obviously aren't either. I'm predicting 1-5 for in the next 6 games. Let's see what he can do.

That’s like me saying I’ll believe Grensing is worthy of a D1 head coach job when I see him land one.. it’s called faith and you won’t find it in 6 games this year- even if they win them all which is highly unlikely..for where this team is coaching means a lot more than just the results on the scoreboard this season.

That’s like me saying I’ll believe Grensing is worthy of a D1 head coach job when I see him land one.. it’s called faith and you won’t find it in 6 games this year- even if they win them all which is highly unlikely..for where this team is coaching means a lot more than just the results on the scoreboard this season.

I'll extend an olive branch here. If we win these next 6 games I'll paint myself blue and post a youtube video apologizing for everything I've said about CNM.

Grensing was worthy of that job and was a better assistant coach than any we have currently. That I have no doubt of. When he joined our staff in 2011, we became a different team. In 2011, we went on a 3 game tour in LA and destroyed UCLA on national TV. He was interviewed and showed him getting after players in practice. That dude can flat out coach. We went to the 3rd round of NIT and went to the NCAA tourney the year after. the rest is history.

Last edited:
Reactions: MTTim
I'll extend an olive branch here. If we win these next 6 games I'll paint myself blue and post a youtube video apologizing for everything I've said about CNM.

Grensing was worthy of that job and was a better assistant coach than any we have currently. That I have no doubt of. When he joined our staff in 2011, we became a different team. In 2011, we went on a 3 game tour in LA and destroyed UCLA on national TV. He was interviewed and showed him getting after players in practice. That dude can flat out coach. We went to the 3rd round of NIT and went to the NCAA tourney the year after. the rest is history.

Yep, Kermit, Win, and Ronnie had nothing to do with wins after Greg came. Geez. And, Kermit told Massaro when we played UNC Asheville a couple of years ago that if he left he should hire that coach.

I wanna give McDevitt a chance. I like that he was able to bring in good talent to UNCA despite all the limitations there. I want to see him recruit a caliber of player that we've never had here before on a consistent basis.

I understand this year is a rebuilding year, but I can't help but wonder if 5 winning games is gonna scare some recruits off. It's one thing to be rebuilding and be bad. It's another to be absolutely awful. We are absolutely awful.

We’ve been rehashing this all year no ones opinions have changed. We aren’t very good. A lot of it was Kermit’s doing who is my friend. Chris should not let him take players with him but they should have been released in my opinion even thou it’s not done at most football programs. I supported Greg for the job talked to pres about him he was not hired so I now support nick as we all should being a negative Nancy doesn’t help a thing. Do u want to say you were right? I want to see the raiders win I don’t want to wait 25 years on next ncaa trip. It’s probably more than 2 year rebuild this roster is depleted. Not nicks fault. Let’s support the raiders. Every player is playing hard that’s all we can ask for at this time. We are young and inexperienced at this time all role players hopefully with time all will improve

Would you guys please stop it with the Grensing Crap!!!? That was totally a courtesy interview because Kermit didn't take him to Ole Piss. Win Case would of been the obvious replacement if they were looking to hire from within.

Yep, Kermit, Win, and Ronnie had nothing to do with wins after Greg came. Geez. And, Kermit told Massaro when we played UNC Asheville a couple of years ago that if he left he should hire that coach.

LOL. I didn't say that. He was a good addition that made a difference. Definitely made a difference in the paint and in the post. His coaching style resinated and made us tougher up front.

Would you guys please stop it with the Grensing Crap!!!? That was totally a courtesy interview because Kermit didn't take him to Ole Piss. Win Case would of been the obvious replacement if they were looking to hire from within.

And we're better off without Grensing. LOL.

Being a good assistant does not automatically qualify a person to be a good head coach.. there’s a big difference in that seat 2 feet over...

If Grensing had such a big post presence then I need a good explanation for the lack of post skills with Gamble.. I’m not picking on Gamble as he plays hard and does some good things that don’t show up in a box score.. some folks here are expecting CNM in 8-9 months to turn these players into something that the former staff couldn’t do in 3 years and using that as future indicators of the current staffs abilities.. it’s illogical..

Like I said, it looks like we're better off without him. We're killing it right now. Vast improvement. LOL.

Like I said, it looks like we're better off without him. We're killing it right now. Vast improvement. LOL.

The folks in a higher paygrade than you certainly think this program is better off without him.. isn’t that all that matters?

I notice you avoid answering any of my questions.. at least qualify your position. Basically you saw a video of Grensing coaching 7 years ago and that’s enough..

Grensing recruits? Lack of player development for the holdovers? Lack of all-conference type players on the roster? Anything?

Grensing recruits? Lack of player development for the holdovers? Lack of all-conference type players on the roster? Anything?

All conference defender (Tyrik Dixon) and potential CUSA POY material (Antwan Johnson) were both booted off by CNM. They were left on the roster when Davis left. 3 extremely highly rated freshmen (Curry, Fagan, Buffen), who had recently signed, were also left on the roster. McDevitt was unable to retain any of them for various reasons. So, the roster was not technically left empty. There was plenty there to be worked with, if McDevitt coulda found a way to make it work. Both Dixon and Johnson have signed with other teams, so it's not like they killed somebody. I refuse to believe their issues could not have been amicably resolved if McDevitt threatened their scholarships. I also don't feel like enough was done to retain our recent signees either. Both by McDevitt and our AD, as evidenced by one of them asking to be contacted on TWITTER after the new coach had been announced. Seriously, WTH? At that point I don't blame them for leaving.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT