ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Middle Tennessee (4-10, 0-1) at Charlotte (7-5, 1-0), 3PM, Saturday, January 4, 2020

One of the ways Boise has kept the ball rolling in football has been hiring good assistants and promoting from within and it’s clear we had good assistants under Kermit. Although I favored several other external candidates, you can make a strong case for having kept this going by promoting an assistant like Grensing. I don’t think Hamilton was in play.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
One of the ways Boise has kept the ball rolling in football has been hiring good assistants and promoting from within and it’s clear we had good assistants under Kermit. Although I favored several other external candidates, you can make a strong case for having kept this going by promoting an assistant like Grensing. I don’t think Hamilton was in play.

True. I don’t personally like promoting from within just to promote from within to save a single recruiting class. It has to be more than that. That said, if we had real leadership, we would have confidence in the reasons CNM was hired over internal promotion.

The problem here is the people making the decision. As others mention, I have zero confidence in Mediocre and 7 Wood making the right choice one whether to promote internally or go external.

Reactions: dukewayne
To be fair, Massaro had Odom ready to accept if we met his asks.

It was McPhee that went against his AD and wanted McDevitt instead.

To be fair, Massaro had Odom ready to accept if we met his asks.

It was McPhee that went against his AD and wanted McDevitt instead.

I have heard that before. How do we know this for sure? Who is the source that McPhee overruled Massaro? Not necessarily saying it’s wrong, but I always wonder how specific information makes it to message boards.

On point, Psychology 101. People decide if they like you in 7 seconds of meeting you, and if you don’t do something to screw it up in the interview, the interviewer will look for reasons to justify their opinion. From reading articles on the CNM hire, sounded like he made a great first impression. Instinct may have clouded rationale judgement about other candidates. Then again someone looking into our leadership’s background may question instincts already.

Also, if what you are saying about the hire is true, the word cuck comes to mind for some people in our athletic department.

This is mere speculation on my part combined with harsh pessimism, but I have wondered if CNM won over Beavis & Butt-Head simply because he is a nice likable guy. A wonderful thing to be sure, but not exactly the sole criteria for hiring a HC for a big time program.

True. I don’t personally like promoting from within just to promote from within to save a single recruiting class. It has to be more than that. That said, if we had real leadership, we would have confidence in the reasons CNM was hired over internal promotion.

The problem here is the people making the decision. As others mention, I have zero confidence in Mediocre and 7 Wood making the right choice one whether to promote internally or go external.

RaiderDawg78, It must be the "great minds think alike" adage at work because your recent posts are like reading my mind. You know, a lot of the stuff I'm thinking just after watching another horrendous beat down of a basketball game.

I briefly touched on some of this with MT01 earlier in the thread regarding lack of confidence in the university leadership. My main point was about them not being able to make a good big decision. Secondarily, their leadership has not inspired confidence that they actually identified and hired the best and most suitable candidate. It kind of throws a wet blanket on the whole let's give CNM some more time because of hoping they know what they are doing.

It bothers me in the back of my mind because I'm arguing for my fellow Blue Raiders to be patient and give some more time for CNM to turn things around. This somewhat based upon simply hoping that CNM has gotten to this place of moving up the D1 coaching ranks because people in athletics seem to think he knows what he is doing in leading a D1 basketball program. Thus far, the evidence on the court has not supported that supposition. Additionally, it's a big ask specifically because Beavis & Butt-Head were a couple of the "experts" in athletics making the decision.

Also, RaiderDawg78, your comment about a cuck cracked me up. While it has again been merely my speculation & opinion, it has struck me as something worth resigning over if McPhee did overrule what the AD Massaro thought was best as the new HC. I have no real way of knowing if that was the case or not. So I haven't made too much of a fuss over the matter.

You know what they say about good comedy and jokes, the really funny effective stuff works because it has a kernel of truth somewhere in there.

I thought yesterday's game showed more "purpose" on both ends of the floor. The major problem IMHO is that we don't have players with enough offensive skills to design plays for their strengths since they have none. Name one player for whom you would design a play to get him the ball at a specific location and feel reasonably sure he would score. You can't. Name one player who can create and score on his own. You can't. Neither can McDevitt. Even players who we thought we could count on to hit an open 3 aren't producing. We are relegated to running an offense and taking the first open shot or a bad shot as the clock runs out. What we are doing is demanding a high % of 3s made and it's not working. We need more efficient players, especially at the 2, 3, and 4.

On to the discussion of Odom, Hamilton, and Grensing:
Odom might not have been the answer - Hot at the time but he hasn't set the world on fire since the upset of UVA.
Although apparently a very good recruiter Hamilton was a very young ex-FB player with limited basketball experience. Too many unknowns and from the get-go he was going with Davis (probably at a higher salary than he could have commanded at MT).
Grensing IMHO doesn't have the personality to meet today's demands of a HC. From my observations he is an excellent X and Os, nuts and bolts type of assistant.
Not a can't miss MT HC among the three. Were others considered?

I said on this board and on the Zone at the time of the opening that since recruiting is the lifeblood of a program we must hire a coach with deep recruiting connections. Questions any prospective coach should have been asked; Do you have a relationship with our signees and do you feel you can keep them? Who do you go after immediately if we have roster spots open? What relationship do you have with those particular players? Are there players available who you wanted at Asheville who would entertain an MT offer? Are there assistants you want to bring to MT who have extensive recruiting connections?
Bruce Stewart came into a program going downhill in Simpson's last year and won the OVC tournament in his first year in Murfreesboro. Why? Some good players were left but he also left no stone unturned in finding players who could win. McDevitt apparently didn't have a list of players in his pocket of we wouldn't have signed Butler, Farquhar, Crump, and three for whom the jury is still out: Johnson, Scurry, and Dishman.
It must be stated that this year's 3 freshman look much more promising and the Fussell signing is another good indication of a better future. It's just so concerning that the 2nd year looks no better than the 1st.

I think everyone is getting perhaps overly excited with Fussell because he’s taller than 6’6”.

IIRC, Rivals has him rated lower than all of this past years signees, so is he really going to be a difference maker? Time will tell.

Of all the signees so far the only one that really looks legit D1 player to me is Jackson yet CNM is supposed be the recruiting whisperer. I’m also not convinced he’s getting the developmental coaching he needs because he could be an elite player, but he’s going through some typical freshman growing pains. That said, he’s good enough to be a force even as a freshman. Unfortunately, that’s not happening which probably goes more to the assistant coaching than head coach but as we all know the buck stops with the HC. He hired the assistants. There just isn’t a single facet of the program I’m sold on right now. And though I’m glad CNM finally focused on some low block support in his recruiting I will believe it when I see it that Fussell is going to an impact player.

I think everyone is getting perhaps overly excited with Fussell because he’s taller than 6’6”.

IIRC, Rivals has him rated lower than all of this past years signees, so is he really going to be a difference maker? Time will tell.

Of all the signees so far the only one that really looks legit D1 player to me is Jackson yet CNM is supposed be the recruiting whisperer. I’m also not convinced he’s getting the developmental coaching he needs because he could be an elite player, but he’s going through some typical freshman growing pains. That said, he’s good enough to be a force even as a freshman. Unfortunately, that’s not happening which probably goes more to the assistant coaching than head coach but as we all know the buck stops with the HC. He hired the assistants. There just isn’t a single facet of the program I’m sold on right now. And though I’m glad CNM finally focused on some low block support in his recruiting I will believe it when I see it that Fussell is going to an impact player.
What makes someone a “legit” D1 player? You must be talking about HS players he recruited to because I would say the transfers he recruited here from other D1 schools are legit D1.

Our biggest issue is Mediocre and 7 Wood are making the decisions. If we had competent leadership, we could trust that after a thorough analysis, CNM was the best option for our long term success that would agree to be our coach. However, our AD and president are closer to Beavis and Butthead than competent.

We have no way of really knowing if Grensing or Hamilton would have been better HC options past holding a recruiting class together. Could we have gotten a better coach with better salesmanship or should we have just promoted internally? Should we have just promoted internally?

Obviously, the CNM hire looks worse every game, but we don’t know the information our “leaders” had when making the decision.

In my mind, Massaro and McPhee celebrated like Farmer Fran when they saw a coach from a Carolina school applied and that was it.

I suggest Massaro and McPhee follow George Costanza’s lead. Since their instincts are incredibly awful, whatever their instincts tell them, they should do the opposite. They might actually get something right this way.
I agree. We have two buffoons making decisions who couldn't manage a lemonade stand.
Kermit knew exactly what it takes to recruit and win here. That is why he recomended Greg. Our so called leaders wanted to make their own decision and this is what we have. With an internal hire we know what we are getting. Otherwise we have no idea.

Kermit recommended Grensing?

That is news to me and surprising. I didn't think the two had a great relationship.

That is news to me and surprising. I didn't think the two had a great relationship.

Me too.

The presser when CNM was hired said that Massaro remembered Kermit saying how well coached UNCA was the year before in the when we played in Alaska. Massaro said that stuck with him. Add that everyone said CNM made fantastic first impressions in interviews...I thought Kermit’s comment plus that got us CNM.

Reactions: SpaceRaider

Direct from the horses mouth. Kermit had a great relationship with his assistants. If he didn't they would not be part of the team.

Me too.

The presser when CNM was hired said that Massaro remembered Kermit saying how well coached UNCA was the year before in the when we played in Alaska. Massaro said that stuck with him. Add that everyone said CNM made fantastic first impressions in interviews...I thought Kermit’s comment plus that got us CNM.
Kermit did say UNCA almost beat us in Alaska and he was impressed. That had no bearing on the decision. McPhee made the decision on CNM.

Direct from the horses mouth. Kermit had a great relationship with his assistants. If he didn't they would not be part of the team.

I find it very, very hard to believe Kermit and Grensing had a "great" relationship. Maybe a good working relationship? I'll never forget Grensing calling us an NIT team after the Southern Miss loss live on the radio, while Kermit was adamant we deserved an NCAA invite......The two never seemed to be on the same page

Kermit did say UNCA almost beat us in Alaska and he was impressed. That had no bearing on the decision. McPhee made the decision on CNM.

How do we know McPhee made the decision and Massaro didn’t? Who is the source? Others mention it, but I have yet to see anyone say how they know.

not that you are wrong - it’s difficult to know the difference b/t truth and message board rumor becoming fact once it’s been repeated enough times

He had good, talented teams at UNCA I suppose. They never really did much in their OOC games from what I can remember but they did well in conference. UNCA under McDevitt never won a post season tournament game. CIT,NIT, and NCAA tournament appearances. All losses in the first round.

I'm still hopeful he can get it done here. I believe he can recruit the talent.....but will the talent stay here and will the coaching be good enough? I don't know.....very questionable

How do we know McPhee made the decision and Massaro didn’t? Who is the source? Others mention it, but I have yet to see anyone say how they know.

not that you are wrong - it’s difficult to know the difference b/t truth and message board rumor becoming fact once it’s been repeated enough times

It's been very widely discussed amongst the MT circles and I've heard the same story from multiple sources (including others on this board) so I'm pretty inclined to believe it.

Massaro wanted Odom. Odom had some pretty lavish demands including a private charter jet for recruiting amongst other things. He wanted more $$ for his assistant pool too I believe. But Massaro from all accounts was ready to make it happen and wanted Odom. Odom's father was head coach of basketball team @ South Carolina (go figure) so there's your good ole boy connection........

McDevitt was the cheaper of the two options, and made a good impression with McPhee. McPhee ended up telling Massaro to hire McDevitt, for whatever reason, and the rest is history. At the end of the day, gotta do what your boss says.

It's been very widely discussed amongst the MT circles and I've heard the same story from multiple sources (including others on this board) so I'm pretty inclined to believe it.

Massaro wanted Odom. Odom had some pretty lavish demands including a private charter jet for recruiting amongst other things. He wanted more $$ for his assistant pool too I believe. But Massaro from all accounts was ready to make it happen and wanted Odom. Odom's father was head coach of basketball team @ South Carolina (go figure) so there's your good ole boy connection........

McDevitt was the cheaper of the two options, and made a good impression with McPhee. McPhee ended up telling Massaro to hire McDevitt, for whatever reason, and the rest is history. At the end of the day, gotta do what your boss says.

I would not be the AD at a university where my president doesn’t take my recommendation for a HC hire. If we have the money and I could make it happen & the president said no, I wouldn’t be 7 wood’s cuck sitting around watching his boy going 15-32 when I am ultimately responsible for the athletic program.

But that’s just me.

Well that's what happened. And it should be of no surprise. We have a very dysfunctional group of administrators "leading" this university and its athletics programs.

So unfortunate.

We need fresh blood so badly at every level. President, AD, FB Coach, etc. Seems like it will never happen though. All of them do just enough to get by but not enough to ever get promoted elsewhere. We are literally "Stuck in the Middle" with them.

My main beef is with the President and AD. I think Rick is a good head coach and I believe we have good coordinators. My only problem with Rick is the nepotism and bankrolling his friends retirements on our staff. I would love to see what he could do with some new facilities and some better position coaches on staff.

FWIW VerbalCommits.com based on his Rivals rating has Fussell as a 3 star and has freshman Jackson also a 3 star based on his ESPN rating. Fellow freshmen Millin and Lawrence are 2 star rated on that site.

While on the subject of recruiting Davis wasn't all that great either (he did identify and sign a string of under recruited high school "bigs" who developed into good players). Had he been an outstanding recruiter considering all the success we had surely we would have had at least one player on an NBA roster. Among geographically close mid-major rivals TSU, Belmont, Murray State and Lipscomb all have current NBA players.
I have to think Davis was a better assembler and coach than recruiter. As an aside it's interesting seeing that, based on early results, his 2nd year at Ole Miss is apparently not going to be nearly as good as his 1st.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
FWIW VerbalCommits.com based on his Rivals rating has Fussell as a 3 star and has freshman Jackson also a 3 star based on his ESPN rating. Fellow freshmen Millin and Lawrence are 2 star rated on that site.

While on the subject of recruiting Davis wasn't all that great either (he did identify and sign a string of under recruited high school "bigs" who developed into good players). Had he been an outstanding recruiter considering all the success we had surely we would have had at least one player on an NBA roster. Among geographically close mid-major rivals TSU, Belmont, Murray State and Lipscomb all have current NBA players.
I have to think Davis was a better assembler and coach than recruiter. As an aside it's interesting seeing that, based on early results, his 2nd year at Ole Miss is apparently not going to be nearly as good as his 1st.

Only about 1% of all college basketball players make it to the NBA. We've had a few play professional ball overseas. I'm not concerned about that like I am with football where approximately 4% make it to the NFL.

In other words, having a quality D1 program doesn't necessarily require NBA talent.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT