ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Middle Tennessee (4-10, 0-1) at Charlotte (7-5, 1-0), 3PM, Saturday, January 4, 2020

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
Charlotte
Enrollment: 28,721
Arena: Halton Arena (9,105)
Colors: Green & White Head Nickname: 49ers
Coach: Ron Sanchez Record at School: 8-21 (1 Season) Career Record: 8-21 (1 Season)
2018-19 Record: 8-21, 5-13 2018-19 Finish: 13th C-USA 2018-19 Postseason: N/A
Starters R/L: 2/3 Letterwinners R/L: 5/5

Twitter: @CharlotteMBB

Series: MT leads 9-1

LIVE VIDEO (VS. CHA)

LIVE STATS (VS. CHA)

Game Notes

TV:
ESPN+ Talent: Bobby Rosinski (PxP), Jobey Thomas (Analyst)
Radio: Blue Raider Network (Game2/WGNS/TuneIn) Talent: Chip Walters (PxP), Kyle Turnham (Analyst)
Twitter: @MT_MBB, #BlueRaiders

Last edited:
Lack of discipline has cost them a few times already.

Their effort looks better on D.

Charlotte's top scorer out today and the results in the first half don't look much different from any other season...

Hey look, another game against a crappy team that's over at half time..........

HOW BAD ARE WE? LOL. ITS GETTING COMICAL AT THIS POINT

2nd 10 mins of the 1st half looked like they usually do in the 1st 10 mins of each 1st half. MT just flipped the script with what ended up being the same results. Losing big by the half.

Perhaps the lineup changes helped in the initial mins of the game, but it was business as usual in the closing 5-10 minutes of the 1st half.

Green had somewhat improved shot selection which is why he hit one of those 3s. He still chose poorly on some others. Milner appeared to take Green's role of a bunch of bad shots. It was a little more digestible with Milner as at least he was hustling with good effort.

For Charlotte to score 40 in the 1st half is like most other teams scoring 50. Plus isn't their leading scorer that is sitting out?

I’ve never seen any team shoot this poorly for so many games.. yes there’s some questionable attempts but theres a lot of good looks and easy shots simply not going down.. at some point these guys need to figure it out..

This team is getting worse with each passing game......18 personal fouls and only 5 minutes into the second half....Charlotte with 21 free throw attempts already. We are 2-16 from 3 for a lovely 12.5%

We have a starting guard (Jayce Johnson) that looks like he probably won't even score a point this game.

Charlotte shooting 56% overall and 66% from 3.....

We are just terrible in every phase of the game. TERRIBLE.

Well at least they took the lid off the basket.. wonder if there’s enough in the tank offensively to finish after making up the 22 point lead..

nope. Sims and Jones cannot do it on their own. Despite that run of 3's, still terrible shooting overall

Are you all listening to Sims postgame?

THAT is a future Blue Raider Head Coach!

I'm telling you, there are some smart impressive young men on this team. I really do hope that they can start to put together full games.

Perhaps the words of wisdom for the entire week delivered by Sims: we have to come out this week and start practice strong because we usually start practice slow and that's why we have been starting games slow all season. (at least that is my best paraphrase of what he said)

I’ve never seen any team shoot this poorly for so many games.. yes there’s some questionable attempts but theres a lot of good looks and easy shots simply not going down.. at some point these guys need to figure it out..

Green coming off the bench appeared to help him make better shot selections, hence he buried a few this game. The ones he hit were of a good selection that you knew it was going in as soon as he released it.

An extra pass to him when they were swinging the ball was an excellent shot in the flow of the offense. Another one to stand out to me was a drive and kick out to Green for an open 3.

I also thought his passing up a 3 early in the game that he typically would have launched in order to take and hit a mid range jumper off the bounce demonstrated a more deliberate and judicious effort to take better shots. Great shot selection that he hit. His game today was far from perfect, but I thought he showed the first signs today of coming out of his slump.

MT01, I think you know McDevitt deserves at least 1 more season and really probably 2 more unless Year 3 is just a disaster. Let him get all his players in here, give him 4-5 recruiting cycles, and see where we are. That's the fair, prudent way to do it unless we are still winning less than 15 games going into Years 3 and 4 which, surely, this team will get better? As an AD I would not cut bait after Year 3 unless it's just an absolute disaster (Less than 10 wins in Year 3)....If it were me though I would have hired Ronnie Hamilton and we wouldn't be in this mess to begin with.

Year 3 will be very telling IMO. We better be competitive next year and we better be near 20 win's and be competitive against programs of similar stature. I'm really hoping Jalen Jordan and Jordan Davis can come in and be stars for us. Tyson Jackson down low with Fussell coming in and maybe helping him would be great too. Donte Houston Jr. joining the party would be icing on the cake in terms of big men. With that trio of big men we would just need to find some outside shooters and I think we'd have a good team. At that point the coaching has to get better. Better fundamentals. Better defense. Better effort. Better everything. It's totally do-able but the desire, want, and drive has to be there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1985trueblue
Has Massaro or McPhee done anything to inspire your confidence that they could actually execute such a bold and decisive move?

I think the likelihood is greater that CNM will turn things around than the likelihood Massaro et al will make a bold & decisive move. At least if one were hoping.

It's a fair point, and I agree. Particularly given we overpaid. I still can't believe we paid CNM more than everyone else including Stansbury. We paid top dollar for a coach that never left the place he moved to as a teenager. So, no we won't do it, because we still owe him too much. Sounds familiar eh?

MT01, I think you know McDevitt deserves at least 1 more season and really probably 2 more unless Year 3 is just a disaster. Let him get all his players in here, give him 4-5 recruiting cycles, and see where we are. That's the fair, prudent way to do it unless we are still winning less than 15 games going into Years 3 and 4 which, surely, this team will get better? As an AD I would not cut bait after Year 3 unless it's just an absolute disaster (Less than 10 wins in Year 3)....If it were me though I would have hired Ronnie Hamilton and we wouldn't be in this mess to begin with.

Year 3 will be very telling IMO. We better be competitive next year and we better be near 20 win's and be competitive against programs of similar stature.

Generally speaking yes. Would like to give benefit of the doubt and time. However, it's difficult to find any redeeming qualities of the direction of the program. We hear from a veteran player that they aren't practicing appropriately. I mean if there weren't enough red flags already. That's not on the players - that is directly on the coaches.

I hate to bring up Kermit again, but for a point of reference did you ever watch a Kermit practice? They brought it every day. If you didn't bring your best every day and have the mental toughness to do it your ass would be playing pick up games in the rec center while you awaited your transfer options.

There has been so much overlooking what are clear problems with the actual competitiveness of the team - as we have seen poster after poster give a pass, because he's only in his second season. But IMO that's BS. He was hired to keep the ball rolling not oversee a complete cluster f***. So, everyone overlooks that and wants to give a pass. And now we have what otherwise seems like a really insignificant comment by a player on the team. Except I don't believe it's insignificant. I see it as more as evidence to the culture of the program under this regime's leadership. Every thing is laissez-faire. There is no fire in their bellies. There is no intensity. No one has the guts to play tough defense. No one wants to take the body shots to pick up the tough rebounds or the 50/50 balls. Just about everyone who handles the ball is careless at best. Instead of playing tough defense everyone just wants to get back to the other end of the floor to throw up wild shots that virtually have no prayer going in most of the time. Meanwhile the head coach just sits back and watches it all play out and claps his hands every once and while and gives them a keep up the good work hand shake.

All of these issues are a direct reflection of the head coach. And y'all or going to tell me this is all going to be fixed just because he's going to recruit some absolute ballers who are going to come in and take us back to the top?? I'm sorry. That's pie in the sky. I just don't see it. We aren't recruiting elite talent 4* players to the Boro. We have to recruit in a blue collar way, develop them, and coach them up to success The question I ask myself is if another coach had these exact same players could he win with them? I don't think there is a championship capability in this group, but I do believe a coach who utilized a different style could get this group above .500. We had teams with a lot less talent under Kermit that still won 18-19 games.

We can go into a whole host of reasons in why he was able to win at Asheville. I think we've talked about a good number of them before, so I'm not going to belabor that point. But what I have been trying to say since day one is this style of play, this type of coaching, the way he goes about his business can be successful in some places. It is highly unlikely it can be successful here - and again - I have laid out those reason numerous times before. So, I'm waiting for someone to tell me what evidence indicates what I just stated is wrong. Other than the proverbial "hey man just wait. Gotta give more time." Sorry, that's not going to cut it. Rather than hoping things get better, I would not be opposed to finding a way to cut the tether and starting over. Honestly, it can't get any worse than it is, and it appears both parties would be more successful with different arrangements.

It's totally do-able but the desire, want, and drive has to be there.

Exactly! My main area of concern this year is that those key fundamentals for competing at a high level have been lacking on more than a few occasions. If I see that hunger, fight and effort, I can much more easily tolerate a few seasons to build toward consistently winning.

Generally speaking yes. Would like to give benefit of the doubt and time. However, it's difficult to find any redeeming qualities of the direction of the program. We hear from a veteran player that they aren't practicing appropriately. I mean if there weren't enough red flags already. That's not on the players - that is directly on the coaches.

I hate to bring up Kermit again, but for a point of reference did you ever watch a Kermit practice? They brought it every day. If you didn't bring your best every day and have the mental toughness to do it your ass would be playing pick up games in the rec center while you awaited your transfer options.

There has been so much overlooking what are clear problems with the actual competitiveness of the team - as we have seen poster after poster give a pass, because he's only in his second season. But IMO that's BS. He was hired to keep the ball rolling not oversee a complete cluster f***. So, everyone overlooks that and wants to give a pass. And now we have what otherwise seems like a really insignificant comment by a player on the team. Except I don't believe it's insignificant. I see it as more as evidence to the culture of the program under this regime's leadership. Every thing is laissez-faire. There is no fire in their bellies. There is no intensity. No one has the guts to play tough defense. No one wants to take the body shots to pick up the tough rebounds or the 50/50 balls. Just about everyone who handles the ball is careless at best. Instead of playing tough defense everyone just wants to get back to the other end of the floor to throw up wild shots that virtually have no prayer going in most of the time. Meanwhile the head coach just sits back and watches it all play out and claps his hands every once and while and gives them a keep up the good work hand shake.

All of these issues are a direct reflection of the head coach. And y'all or going to tell me this is all going to be fixed just because he's going to recruit some absolute ballers who are going to come in and take us back to the top?? I'm sorry. That's pie in the sky. I just don't see it. We aren't recruiting elite talent 4* players to the Boro. We have to recruit in a blue collar way, develop them, and coach them up to success The question I ask myself is if another coach had these exact same players could he win with them? I don't think there is a championship capability in this group, but I do believe a coach who utilized a different style could get this group above .500. We had teams with a lot less talent under Kermit that still won 18-19 games.

We can go into a whole host of reasons in why he was able to win at Asheville. I think we've talked about a good number of them before, so I'm not going to belabor that point. But what I have been trying to say since day one is this style of play, this type of coaching, the way he goes about his business can be successful in some places. It is highly unlikely it can be successful here - and again - I have laid out those reason numerous times before. So, I'm waiting for someone to tell me what evidence indicates what I just stated is wrong. Other than the proverbial "hey man just wait. Gotta give more time." Sorry, that's not going to cut it. Rather than hoping things get better, I would not be opposed to finding a way to cut the tether and starting over. Honestly, it can't get any worse than it is, and it appears both parties would be more successful with different arrangements.

I don't have any big arguments with the points you are making. You're making reasoned arguments supporting your view.

For me, I have been trying to toe that fine line between what you are talking about in regards to demanding hard work and effort while at the same time extending some patience for the coaches and team to figure and/or work it out. Admittedly, I may not have successfully conveyed those thoughts in an effective manner as I know I tend to ramble.

I want the coaches and players to succeed here. I'm willing to practice some patience while the team works to improve and develop. One of the fastest ways to lose me is to slack off on effort, attitude, fight, and heart. You have to consistently practice those core elements in order to compete at a high level in most any competitive sport. At this level, you are going nowhere without those key traits. I also think that those traits and hard work are strong predictors of possible future success. I also think a lot of fans will be reasonably patient if they are witnessing tremendous effort even if they are losing games.

I don't think the coach has lost the team at this point. I don't think they have given up in general, but there have been more than a few stretches of various games where it appeared to me that the team was slacking in effort on the court. While I have been a pretty big advocate for CNM to have some time to form and develop his team, I've tried to make it abundantly clear anything short of great effort is totally unacceptable to me. And the team has flirted with that lack of effort a few times in my opinion.

Ultimately, I would hope the coaches and players would see their fans stance on effort and fight as a challenge. Frankly, the issue is still in doubt. I'm not sure if CNM is going to be able to mold this team into an elite fighting machine. At the same time, I'm not sure he won't. Admittedly, I've having some doubts. All things considered, I'm hoping CNM can start turning things around, and I'm hoping he can show some tangible improvements this season. Because of the stretches of questionable fight and effort, I'm wanting to start to see some of these improvements immediately.

So I think CNM has a little more time, in my book, but they really need to start exhibiting consistently some great effort, attitude, and fight.

At this point, think making C-USA Tournament field has to be an absolute minimum for the year to demonstrate hopes of progress—and that isn’t a demanding bar to reach from a fan perspective. Our effort seems to operate like a light switch where it’s “turned on and off” a bit more than it should in year two. Turnovers and ill-advised shot selection will earn an L faster than one can blink at this level of D-1 basketball and we’ve seen too many already. Getting down double digits by halftime doesn’t provide for confidence or demonstrate fundamental competence. Those errors and miscues are chargeable to the coach in insisting on consistency in defense and through player rotation to achieve the greatest probability of winning.

My patience with this team isn’t gone yet, but it might be if MBB finishes last place and out of the Tournament. 2021 should be a different story with higher expectations.

I think the roster was decimated when Kermit left. Never thought any new coach would keep the recruits. I respect the decision of removing the remaining players that did what they did.
That being said. Next year is go time.

At this point, think making C-USA Tournament field has to be an absolute minimum for the year to demonstrate hopes of progress—and that isn’t a demanding bar to reach from a fan perspective. Our effort seems to operate like a light switch where it’s “turned on and off” a bit more than it should in year two. Turnovers and ill-advised shot selection will earn an L faster than one can blink at this level of D-1 basketball and we’ve seen too many already. Getting down double digits by halftime doesn’t provide for confidence or demonstrate fundamental competence. Those errors and miscues are chargeable to the coach in insisting on consistency in defense and through player rotation to achieve the greatest probability of winning.

My patience with this team isn’t gone yet, but it might be if MBB finishes last place and out of the Tournament. 2021 should be a different story with higher expectations.

Down double digits by the half could suggest 10 point deficits when it seems all too often that MT is down by 20 at the half! I know you are still accurate in your statement, but those horrible starts and deficits really stick in my crawl. CNM has to fix that pronto if he hopes to have any fan support and confidence at the end of the season.

Next year go time. To my thinking, they really need to start showing improvement to finish this season with at least some modicum of success to build upon for next year.

...those horrible starts and deficits really stick in my crawl. CNM has to fix that pronto if he hopes to have any fan support and confidence at the end of the season.

Yeah, season tickets renewals are going to be a tough sell for next season. Can't afford to tick off the rest of the fan base that hasn't already been chased off by the disgusting state of the football program and no indication that any changes are forthcoming.

Reactions: Raiders_55
I think the roster was decimated when Kermit left. Never thought any new coach would keep the recruits. I respect the decision of removing the remaining players that did what they did.
That being said. Next year is go time.

Ronnie Hamilton would have kept all 3, and maybe that changes fate and Antwan Johnson doesn't end up booted.....

What could have been....

Greg Grensing and Hamilton would have kept the train rolling.

Our biggest issue is Mediocre and 7 Wood are making the decisions. If we had competent leadership, we could trust that after a thorough analysis, CNM was the best option for our long term success that would agree to be our coach. However, our AD and president are closer to Beavis and Butthead than competent.

We have no way of really knowing if Grensing or Hamilton would have been better HC options past holding a recruiting class together. Could we have gotten a better coach with better salesmanship or should we have just promoted internally? Should we have just promoted internally?

Obviously, the CNM hire looks worse every game, but we don’t know the information our “leaders” had when making the decision.

In my mind, Massaro and McPhee celebrated like Farmer Fran when they saw a coach from a Carolina school applied and that was it.

I suggest Massaro and McPhee follow George Costanza’s lead. Since their instincts are incredibly awful, whatever their instincts tell them, they should do the opposite. They might actually get something right this way.

I agree raiderdawg. In fact, Kermit staying to coach after accepting ole miss was a terrible move by Massaro McPhee. They just keep making awful decisions...it is unreal.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT