ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Middle Tennessee (24-5, 16-1) vs Marshall (20-10, 11-6), Senior Night, 6PM, Saturday, March 3, 2018

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
Marshall
Series:
MT leads 11-4
Founded: 1837 Enrollment: 14,000 Colors: Kelly Green & White Nickname:Thundering Herd
Facility: Cam Henderson Center (9,043)
Head Coach: Dan D’Antoni Marshall, 1970 MU Record: 48-51 (3 seasons) Overall Record: Same
2016-17 Record: 20-15, 10-8 (6th C-USA) 2017 Postseason: None
Starters R/L: 1/4 Lettermen R/L: 7/7 Newcomers: 6

goblueraiders.com:
http://goblueraiders.com/news/2018/3/2/mens-basketball-raiders-herd-to-meet-on-senior-day.aspx
Raiders, Herd to meet on Senior Day

GAME INFORMATION
[Game Notes]

Hashtag: #TrueBlue, #BlueRaiders
Twitter: @MT_MBB
Instagram: MT_MBB
Facebook:MTSUMBB

Date: Saturday, March 3rd
Time: 6:00 p.m. CT
Match-up: Middle Tennessee (24-5, 16-1) vs. Marshall (20-10, 11-6)

Live Video | Live Stats

Last edited:
If you are within driving distance, reading this thread, and have not been in Murphy Center to watch Giddy Potts, Ed Simpson, Nick King, and Brandon Walters, this is may be your last chance to see them in person, if you are not going to Frisco or to any post season action the Raiders see.

DXQTN2dUQAEJJ4U.jpg:large

WKU's RPI went up after being demolished by us. That's good for both schools lol.

Senior Day - the last time these guys are in the Murphy Center (until we hoist our National Championship banner?)... Get to this game if you are within driving distance. 6pm on a Saturday, no excuses!

excerpt:

...The Marshall Thundering Herd will travel to the Murphy Athletic Center to take on the 24th ranked Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders this Saturday night in College Basketball action.

The Marshall Thundering Herd dropped to 20-10 (11-6 C-USA) on the season after being defeated by the UAB Blazers, 91-77, this past Thursday. Marshall was dominated on the boards by the Blazers throughout the game and couldn’t fight back after falling behind by a 75-56 margin with 9:54 left in regulation. Marshall allowed UAB to shoot 48.6% from the field and was outrebounded by the Blazers by a 49-31 margin in the loss. Leading the way for the Thundering Herd was Jon Elmore who had 28 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 block, and a steal. On the season, Marshall is averaging 84.7 ppg on 47.2% shooting from the field. The Thundering Herd are averaging 10.1 three-pointers per game on 35.3% shooting from beyond the arc. Offensively, Marshall has been led by Jon Elmore (22.8 ppg, 6.1 rpg, 6.9 apg, 1.7 spg), C.J. Burks (21.0 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 3.1 apg), Ajdin Penava (15.7 ppg, 8.7 rpg, 2.0 apg, 1.0 spg), and Jarrod West (8.2 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 3.0 apg, 1.6 spg). Defensively, Marshall is allowing their opponents to an average of 79.7 ppg on 44.4% shooting from the field. The Thundering Herd has a rebound margin of -5.0 and a turnover margin of 1.1.

The 24th ranked Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders won their 11th straight game and improved to 24-5 (16-1 C-USA) on the season after defeating the Western Kentucky Hilltoppers, 82-64, this past Thursday. Middle Tennessee pulled away in the 2nd half after taking a 66-49 lead with 7:01 left in regulation and clinched their 2nd straight C-USA title with the win. Middle Tennessee shot 55.0% from the field and 45.0% (9-20) from beyond the arc in the win. Leading the way for the Blue Raiders was Brandon Walters who had a double-double with 18 points, 11 rebounds, 2 assists, and 3 blocks. On the season, Middle Tennessee is averaging 75.3 ppg on 46.6% shooting from the field. The Blue Raiders are averaging 7.3 three-pointers per game on 36.8% shooting from beyond the arc. Offensively, Middle Tennessee has been led by Nick King (21.3 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 2.0 apg), Giddy Potts (13.0 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 1.8 apg, 1.4 spg), Antwain Johnson (10.5 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 1.9 apg), and Brandon Walters (10.4 ppg, 5.3 rpg). Defensively, Middle Tennessee is holding their opponents to an average of 65.3 ppg on 42.5% shooting from the field. The Blue Raiders have a rebound margin of 5.9 and a turnover margin of 1.3.

The Thundering Herd are 7-1 ATS in their last 8 games following a ATS loss and 7-3 ATS in their last 10 road games. The Blue Raiders are 4-0 ATS in their last 4 games vs. C-USA opponents and 48-18-2 ATS in their last 68 home games vs. a team with a losing road record.

The Marshall Thundering Herd has won 6 of their last 8 games and has been led by their offense that ranks 12th in scoring offense, 9th in assists per game, and 57th in FG%. Middle Tennessee has clearly shown that they are the team to beat in the C-USA this season and has been led by their defense that ranks 29th in scoring defense, 88th in defensive FG%, and 26th in rebound margin.....

I don't know about you all, but this is a game where I'm wanting to see MT get a little payback.

I'll settle for a win, but I'd enjoy a good ole fashioned whoopin'

As much as I hated to see MT lose to Marshall a few weeks back, it did seem to be somewhat of a turning point for the Blue Raiders. They responded real well to that adversity. After struggling in the offense to that point of losing with a real flat performance, it seemed the team responded by focusing on doing what they are supposed to do on offense. Ball movement has been much better since. That has really opened things up offensively, and now the team is building good confidence in that offensive system Kermit installs.

Man. Nick is off. Walters having an ok game on boards but has a solid 14.

Marshall not missing much.

We aren’t playing great.

Worst half I’ve seen in person this year. We’ve given up 6-7 open layups. Nick has missed five FTs. Guys not hitting open looks. Fortunate to be down only three. Lots of work to do 2H.

I thought Kermit was going to stroke after the basket interference call and all of this Marshall push-offs on offense.

Havnt been watching the game but just looking at the half stats, we are gonna lose this game. Marshall isn't even shooting well and still ahead.

What an ugly way to get knocked out of top 25

Not gonna say we are going to lose. There is no way we play that bad the rest of the game.

Definitely an off night. Let’s back off the cliff a moment. 8 minutes left. Down by one.

Even Virginia about got smoked.

What's going on here? Marshall isn't even playing that well. 19% from 3. (We are not much better at 25%....)

Have we even hit a 3 in the second half?

How are we shooting 42% from the FT line? Marshall is 92% from the charity stripe....

We lose because we can't hit FT's.....the most basic, elementary element of the game. Sad.

You honestly deserve to lose if you can't shoot at least 50% from the FT line.

oh well - the top 25 was fun while it lasted.

back to reality

Lester must have bet his life savings on this game.

But seriously. This game is most lightly gonna be a loss. We are off. Terrible night for the Raiders. Terrible night for the seniors.

Safe to say CJ Burks is the POY as well.

I just can't give it to King when he registers 3-10 from the FT line in such an important game like this.

Lester must have bet his life savings on this game.

But seriously. This game is most lightly gonna be a loss. We are off. Terrible night for the Raiders. Terrible night for the seniors.

This game was over half way through the 2nd half.

Well Marshall money line WAS paying like 7:1...

I hope nobody on the team (no names) pulled a Dwight Dasher tonight

Well you might get a shot at redemption since Marshall will be the 4th seed in the Conf USA tournament.

Tip my cap to Marshall. They came to our place on senior night, matched us in every way and then beat us at the FT line.

You can’t shot 50% against a team shooting 85%.

Well you might get a shot at redemption since Marshall will be the 4th seed in the Conf USA tournament.

or more like packing for the NIT

If we can't beat Marshall at home it ain't happening at a neutral site either. Our team just doesn't know how to put the ball in the basket when playing them. Not sure why. They don't do anything special.

First, Lester needs to go.
Second, better to lose tonight than in the tourney. There’s NO WAY we go into next week unfocused. A little humility might be good in the long run.
Third, this team is still good so step off the ledge. Marshall is just a matchup issue for us.

Such a bad, bad, BAD loss. It was truly a magical season and this just totally ruins it. Kiss that top 25 ranking goodbye and NCAA at-large bid with it.

Typically Middle Tennessee stuff here. Some people just can't have nice things. Always gotta F it up. 11.5 point favorite at home on senior night in a revenge game when we are playing our best ball of the season and we lose because we can't hit FT's....

FREE THROWS...

It is upsetting. Maddening. My Marshall Alum wife is of course rubbing it in. But it isn't the end of the season yet. Not by a long shot. Kermit will let them have it, I have no doubt.

It does prove what I've said for years. Free throws win games. We lost by 9. They left 5 points on the floor, we left 13. Combine those we still lose by 1, but surely we could make that up. To me, there is ZERO excuse for ever missing a free throw. They call them that for a reason.

I'm mad but not as mad as I have been because I know all our goals are still within reach.

King looked like a zombie tonight. This was my fear!! An emotional let down after Thursday. It was still a good year and if road island can get blown out by 30 at home and still make so can we.

Is it too soon to say that was the most “middle thing ever?”

No.

The first thing that came to my mind was one of my favorite sayings.... "Some people just can't have nice things...."

Our sports teams exemplify that saying. The longer I contemplate this loss, the more befuddled I become. Of all the "big games" we had scheduled towards the end of the year, the Marshall game was the one I thought we had zero chance of losing. Surely there's no way we come out flat and play bad with revenge on our minds, right? This team has to be upset about their last loss, right? Of course they want to prove they are the better team, no? And if you asked me which player would have a big game, SURELY it's Nick King who wants to prove he's the POY and put Burks and Elmore in their place, right?

And all we had to do was hit our FT's and we win.....

Straight F'ing befuddled.

Reactions: bluefutcpa
I can’t remember if we lost the last reg season game last year before the tourney run. Anyway I’m sort of glad we got it out our system before Texas. We needed some humble sauce.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Is it too soon to say that was the most “middle thing ever?”

I’ll say no, because we already had the regular season wrapped up.

Little Middle loses against WKU and Marshall.

Little Middle loses to FIU in the tourney quarter finals.

So we are not quite as Middle as we can be, but we better not crap the bed in Frisco.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT