ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Middle Tennessee(15-5, 6-1) vs UTEP(7-13, 2-6) (Stadium FB), 6PM, Saturday, January 27, 2018

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
UTEP
Series: Tied 3-3
Founded: 1914 Enrollment: 23,922 Colors: Dark Blue, Orange & Silver Accent Nickname: Miners Facility: Don Haskins Center (12,000)
Head Coach: Phil Johnson (Interim)
2016-17 Record: 15-17, 12-6 (T-3rd C-USA) 2017 Postseason: None
Starters R/L: 4/1 Lettermen R/L: 6/4 Newcomers: 7

goblueraiders.com:

GAME INFORMATION
[Game Notes]

Hashtag: #TrueBlue, #BlueRaiders
Twitter: @MT_MBB
Instagram: MT_MBB
Facebook: MTSUMBB

Date: Saturday, January 27th
Time: 6:00 PM. CT
Match-up: Middle Tennessee (15-5, 6-1) vs. UTEP (7-13, 2-6)

Live Video | Live Stats

http://goblueraiders.com/news/2018/1/26/mens-basketball-mt-aims-for-sixth-straight-win-at-home.aspx
MT aims for sixth straight win at home

I don't suspect UTEP will be down for too long. I imagine this is a transition period for them. They will likely be able to attract some pretty good coaches for their HC job. They have great facilities and a city that seems to support them. Oh, they have some history of big success too boot. One would think that in most seasons UTEP would likely be pretty darn competitive.

excerpt:

...UTEP enters this one with a 7-13 record overall. The Miners have lost five of their last six games, including a Thursday matchup versus UAB. In that one, UTEP’s Trey Wade put up 22 points.

Heading up the scoring for the Miners this year are Keith Fraizer (11.8 PPG; 5.0 RPG) and Omega Harris (11.7 PPG). They’re the only two UTEP players averaging in double-digits, but Matt Willms is close on 9.8 PPG in 13 outings.

Over on the Middle Tennessee side, they’re sitting at 15-5 on the year. The Raiders have won seven of their last eight games, and took out UTSA in their last appearance Thursday. In that one, Middle Tennessee’s Nick King put up 22 points.

King is also the leading Raiders scorer on the season with 21.8 PPG and 7.9 RPG. Also in the double-digit club for Middle Tennessee are Giddy Potts (13.2 PPG) and Brandon Walters (10.5 PPG; 5.3 RPG).

The Miners are 12-1 ATS in their last 13 Saturday games and 18-5 ATS in their last 23 versus Conference USA. UTEP is also 22-7 ATS in their last 29 games overall and 9-3 ATS in their last 12 road games.

Meanwhile, the Raiders are 4-1 ATS in their last five games overall and 23-9 ATS in their last 32 versus CUSA. Middle Tennessee is also 12-5 ATS in their last 17 Saturday games and 42-19-1 ATS in their last 62 home games.

UTEP has been scoring reasonably well lately, but they’re also giving up a lot of points—at least 73 in four of their last six. Conversely, Middle Tennessee has been getting it done on defense and isn’t exactly lighting up the scoreboard. The Raiders have held opponents to 66 points or fewer in seven of their last eight games, and they’ll do it again here.....

I know UTEP sucks and didn't put up much of a fight, but....

if this team puts it together and plays a complete game, we can be very good & we could be a dangerous out in the postseason again.

UTEP just looked like they wanted to go home from the get go. I very rarely saw their coach on his feet. Their whole team had a defeated demeanor about 5 minutes into the game.

Ran into the UTEP players in the basement. Glumly walking to their bus. 25 mumbled something about how much that sucked. I gave an it will get better everyone has ups and downd. Then he said,"Unless you love losing." Ouch.

Donovan Sims though...oh my!

Last edited:
Did anyone watch on Facebook? Watched the replay after I got home last night from the game and before I fell asleep during the replay, Doug Gottlieb had some interesting comments, especially his comments about what MT was going to do during the off season to the arena...

Last edited:
Did anyone watch on Facebook? Watched the replay after I got home last night from the game and before I fell asleep during the replay, Doug Gottlieb had some interesting comments, especially his comments about what MT was going to do during the off season to the arena...

I watched on FB. I usually can't stand Gottlieb, and he was his usual personality, but I thought his comments about the seating remodel and the game were interesting and pretty spot on.

DUmI63vWkAIwHaQ.jpg

Can someone please summarize what he said?

Apparently Gottlieb had been talking to Davis, listening to previous interviews, or reading message boards where he got the mistaken impression that Davis' wish list for Murphy Ctr. was a hard plan to be soon implemented.

As for the announcing last night (Wish I could have been there last night but . . ): Mentions of Walter's poor footwork, how so many of our players have limited offensive skills, implication that King had left a team at Alabama loaded with many players who could dominate at "this level", etc.

I hate it when "power" games' announcers act as if a player has just invented the cure for cancer when he makes a good, but common, play. Especially on ESPN, CBS, and the $EC networks there is a clear impression that what you are watching is as "good as it gets" and you're really missing out if you don't watch and keep up with teams at the level being broadcast. I understand; and I realize that I'm a loyal fan of a "%$&-major and I that most "power" schools recruit at a higher level and have a higher upside. I do get it!

But, you would like to think C-USA could get a TV contract where the announcers understand; even if they don't actively promote the players, coaches, teams, and conference; that they wouldn't put down the product they are broadcasting. If I were "King of the World" Gottlieb and the rest of that crew would be forever banned from stepping on campus after watching last night's FB broadcast.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpaceRaider
Ran into the UTEP players in the basement. Glumly walking to their bus. 25 mumbled something about how much that sucked. I gave an it will get better everyone has ups and downd. Then he said,"Unless you love losing." Ouch.

Donovan Sims though...oh my!

The head coach to an assistant as I walked past: "What do I even say to 'em after a night like that..."

Yeah. I've been impressed with the broadcast on Facebook this season so far. I personally think it's on part or better than ESPN broadcasts. But please don't let Gottlieb ever call another game again. He was absolutely terrible.

I enjoyed watching our bench the most when he flopped. LOL.

Was that Sims that grabbed his crotch at the end on that dunk when he posterized the UTEP player? Gotta watch that ...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT