Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
goblueraiders.com:

GAME INFORMATION
(FULL GAME NOTES)[/B]
Date: [/B]Thursday, Jan. 29
Time:[/B] [/B] 7:05 p.m. CT
Teams[/B]: Middle Tennessee at UTSA
Arena: [/B]UTSA Convocation Center (2,650)
TV: [/B]American Sports Network (ASN)
TV LISTINGS
Talent: Dave Barnett and Ben Braun
Radio:[/B] [/B]ESPN Nashville-Game 2 (94.9/95.1), WGNS AM-FM (1450/100.5/101.9)
Play-by-Play: [/B]Chip Walters

Live Stats[/B]

Blue Raiders make first trip to UTSA

excerpt:

...The Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders look to stay hot with a visit to play the Texas-San Antonio Roadrunners.

The Middle Tennessee State Blue Raiders supposedly graduated too much talent to be considered a serious threat in the CUSA but if they keep winning that could change. The Blue Raiders have won four of five after holding off Charlotte 72-69 after rallying from a ten point deficit. MTSU has generally slowed things down in 2014-15 but this one was all offense with both teams hitting at 49% with the 49ers making a few more threes while the Blue Raiders owned a 22-15 edge at the stripe. Jacquez Rozier led three double digit scorers with 13 points on 5-5 shooting with Jacoby Ivory adding 12 points on 3-4. Darnell Harris chipped in with ten points and five yanks while Giddy Potts contributed eight points and another six boards.

Right now the Texas-San Antonio Roadrunners are in the middle of the pack in the CUSA with a great offense that averages 72 points and a defense that gives up almost as much. The defensive end of the floor has shown potential but needs to flex some muscle for several games in a row rather then once in awhile. That didn't happen in an 83-74 defeat at Western Kentucky where the Hilltoppers opened up a 45-34 lead going in to the locker room and keeping the Roadrunners at arm's length the rest of the way. UTSA was held to less then 40% from the floor while WKY hit at 48% with a 19-11 effort at the line being key. Keon Lewis shouldered the offense with a game high 24 points followed by Jeromie Hill with 18 points and eight boards. Ryan Bowie and Kaj-Bjorn Sherman combined for 21 points and 15 rebounds.

The Blue Raiders are 4-1-1 ATS in their last 6 games overall and 4-1-1 ATS in their last 6 vs. Conference USA while going 9-26 ATS in their last 35 road games. The Roadrunners are 5-1 ATS in their last 6 games following a S.U. loss and 8-20 ATS in their last 28 games vs. a team with a winning S.U. record. UTSA are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 home games and 2-8 ATS in their last 10 games following a ATS win....

This post was edited on 1/28 4:57 PM by SpaceRaider

dnj article, excerpt:

..."It's a really good offensive team," Davis added. "They've given up some points but they can score.

"We're going to have to really play well because they had some tough matchup for us, especially around the goal."

MTSU's
recent success had vaulted it to fourth place in the league standings
with the conference's third-best record. The Blue Raiders have jumped to
97 spots in the RPI in the last six games too.....

MT men trying to right road woes

This was a tough one. I think we were the better team, but our shots just weren't falling.

I completely agree. I kept waiting for a run at the end of the game like we did in the first half, but it never came.

looking at box score, disappointed with the play of our freshmen, Ivory started and was 2-6, the other three, combined were 1 for 13.

This is the first game I have watched from start to finish all year.

Classic CKD team - win the toughness battle lose the game. We pressure the ball and we over play on D - this leads to either lots of easy baskets or we send them to the foul line (which they had 22 attempts to our 12).

On offense, we can't hit crap because of the constant lineup changes and knowing you will be yanked out of the game at any second. (We shot 35% for the game)

While UTSA had a couple of good players there is no reason why we should lose to them, we by far were the more athletic team.

Again, this is just one game, but I have been following all the threads and complements from you all. From my view, its the same we have seen time and again through the years.

Basketball is a finesse game, sometimes people just make shots - you must outscore them to win. Me thinks we worry not enough about putting the ball in the rim. A key moment for me was Tarrance hinting a 3 pointer and being fouled to convert to a 4-point play - then he is immediately out of the game on the whistle after the FT is made - classic Davis move.

We had a lot of good shots go in and out, but also missed a lot of close/gimme shots as well. Just not our night.

The announcers were making a lot of comments saying the rim we were shooting on in the second half seemed very, very tight. This was the basket that UTSA was shooting on in the first half when we went on a 15-1 run at the end of the half. Makes you wonder.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT