ADVERTISEMENT

Meanwhile in Oxford....

sWiley

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2012
After winning 12 games last year, Ole Miss has already surpassed that mark this year. 13-2 overall, 3-0 in conference, and about to enter the Top 25 with wins this week over Auburn and Miss St.

So much for Kermit flaming out in Oxford....

Reactions: amgtmom
Watching Davis' Ole Miss squad play surely fills me with mixed emotions. I can't help but wonder if we had hit the ceiling with him or was there further up-side. We'll never know. Regardless, he will go down as one of MT's best coaches (HOF ?) and I do hate that for someone who chose not to finish his career in the Boro.
I do think Davis learned a great deal about handling today's athlete during his last few years at MT. Otherwise, how would he have so easily convinced the returning Ole Miss players to "buy in" to his coaching style. If he maintains anything close to this early success this year (with a team projected last) he's gotta be $EC COY.
If Davis had left for "his" school (Miss. St. - I'm a stickler for loyalty to people and institutions who were there for me earlier) rather than their arch-rival and had he not taken two players he got "in on" using a small part of my funds donated to MT I would be pulling hard for his success. As it is I'm trying to be ambivalent.

Can’t deny he truly put MT on the map over the last decade. Whether or not the new regime is the answer... we won’t know for at least another year. Could we have had a better fit? I don’t know, but I do know we could have done worse. Just saying if Kermit has been fired and had 5-6 straight sub 10-win seasons then NOBODY except someone desperate would have come here. Just sayin...

I really believe he was tired of fighting the system. The poor seeding when we did get in the tourney didn't help. He only has to win half his games to get into tourney as opposed to nearly every game here. I think he had chances to leave before and declined, possibly Ole Miss. He really thought he could build a Gonzaga here. He said so. But the NCAA selection committee crushed that notion. He knew even if the teams in our league got better we would still be a one or two bid league which would lower the chances of a bid.

Nail on the head right here. I think we owe a lot of our present situation to the 2018 NCAA tourney selection committee.
I really believe he was tired of fighting the system. The poor seeding when we did get in the tourney didn't help. He only has to win half his games to get into tourney as opposed to nearly every game here. I think he had chances to leave before and declined, possibly Ole Miss. He really thought he could build a Gonzaga here. He said so. But the NCAA selection committee crushed that notion. He knew even if the teams in our league got better we would still be a one or two bid league which would lower the chances of a bid.

Clearly we were a 15 seed when we beat MSU as well. Just such a broken system.

Fully agree about Coach Kermit Davis' departure for greener pastures of the $EC. Family financial security coupled with prospects of turning around a sputtering program is eye appealing. Also, being geographically where family roots are would be an added bonus. Who could blame him?

What opened my eyes a few years ago was NCAA Selection Committee snub of Steve Prohm and Murray State winning 25 in a row (undefeated since November), being top 25 ranked, and losing to Belmont 87-88 (with 3 seconds left) and still missed NCAA Tournament. The same mentality in 2018 existed with our two late season losses at arguably the best time/team MT ever had (ranked #24). In that context, both Coach Davis (to Mississippi) and Coach Prohm (to Iowa Sate) responded by taking money offered next season and waved bye-bye. Murray since lost their consecutive winning season streak (at 29) and this year is proving a historic low watermark for MT, barring an extraordinary turnaround in late January/February. Sadly, if we don't turn our fortunes around soon, MT mens basketball won't even get to participate in C-USA Frisco Tournament in 2019 and we become a story of the penthouse meeting the outhouse within one calendar year.

Realistically, the C-USA basketball season comes down to how we do in three days in March. It is not our collective body of work as much as Kermit tried to position us for the NCAA's. The remainder of the season is about earning a high enough seed to avoid a dreaded Wednesday game seen by 800 in attendance (and that may be charitable). In the OVC, its about earning a top two seed for a "double bye". Much easier to win two for a NCAA date than four games (though APSU recently achieved that distinction). This year, it will be interesting to watch Nevada (currently #10) and Buffalo (currently #19/20) to see where they place in NCAA's if they win out conference or have 1-2 losses, lose in the conference tournament somewhere, and see if they make at large. Even if Nevada completely won out through their MWC Tournament, it would be a struggle to climb to a top 4 seed...seeing them as a #5 for the moment. For C-USA's bid in 2019, North Texas severely hurt our conference's at large chances with a loss to UTSA yesterday. North Texas probably needs to win out until the tournament to have an at large chance, or might afford one more loss, depending on who they lose to in the new late season reseeding of conference opponents. This means it will be whoever wins in Frisco on a Saturday in March.

Think that how coaches need to strategize is getting teams "tournament ready" and see what happens. Maybe we make the twelve team field, and for that it will be a success for this year.

Reactions: Stonesraider
What opened my eyes a few years ago was NCAA Selection Committee snub of Steve Prohm and Murray State winning 25 in a row (undefeated since November), being top 25 ranked, and losing to Belmont 87-88 (with 3 seconds left) and still missed NCAA Tournament. The same mentality in 2018 existed with our two late season losses at arguably the best time/team MT ever had (ranked #24). In that context, both Coach Davis (to Mississippi) and Coach Prohm (to Iowa Sate) responded by taking money offered next season and waved bye-bye. Murray since lost their consecutive winning season streak (at 29) and this year is proving a historic low watermark for MT, barring an extraordinary turnaround in late January/February. Sadly, if we don't turn our fortunes around soon, MT mens basketball won't even get to participate in C-USA Frisco Tournament in 2019 and we become a story of the penthouse meeting the outhouse within one calendar year.

Realistically, the C-USA basketball season comes down to how we do in three days in March. It is not our collective body of work as much as Kermit tried to position us for the NCAA's. The remainder of the season is about earning a high enough seed to avoid a dreaded Wednesday game seen by 800 in attendance (and that may be charitable). In the OVC, its about earning a top two seed for a "double bye". Much easier to win two for a NCAA date than four games (though APSU recently achieved that distinction). This year, it will be interesting to watch Nevada (currently #10) and Buffalo (currently #19/20) to see where they place in NCAA's if they win out conference or have 1-2 losses, lose in the conference tournament somewhere, and see if they make at large. Even if Nevada completely won out through their MWC Tournament, it would be a struggle to climb to a top 4 seed...seeing them as a #5 for the moment. For C-USA's bid in 2019, North Texas severely hurt our conference's at large chances with a loss to UTSA yesterday. North Texas probably needs to win out until the tournament to have an at large chance, or might afford one more loss, depending on who they lose to in the new late season reseeding of conference opponents. This means it will be whoever wins in Frisco on a Saturday in March.

Think that how coaches need to strategize is getting teams "tournament ready" and see what happens. Maybe we make the twelve team field, and for that it will be a success for this year.

North Texas has no chance at an at large bid no matter what they do. They made their own bed in that regard by playing one of the worst OOC schedules in the country. They’ve played three non-D1 teams and four of the D1 teams they have played are ranked outside the top 300. That’s a dreadful schedule.

Murray State’s dilemma in 2015 was much the same. They played an OOC schedule that was ranked about 200th and had no top 50 wins.

The committee has proven many times that it doesn’t care about the AP or coaches’ polls.

For what it's worth, it seems that NCAA basketball and the tournament are going the same way as college football. The selection committee is narrowing their focus more and more on the P5 or power elites of bball since the Big East would be included. It is absolutely ridiculous each year in average P5 teams they select while not giving the time of day to good G5 or other mid majors generally.

It seems seeds 1-9 are reserved for Power Elites. 10-11 seems to draw A-10 and American conf at large type teams mixed in with a P5 team or two that might need plugged in somewhere. 12-16 are for the rest, the mid majors etc. I suspect that is why 12-5 is so full of upsets. The committee knows those teams are good "mid majors," but they still don't respect them compared to the Power Elites. That is why a few 12 seeds seem to win each year. While I'm not shedding any tears for the elite conferences, but it's not fair to their teams to underseed mid majors. No way Mich St should ever had to face MT in the first round. A 15 seed was a slap in the face to MT, and Mich St paid the price. Then a 12 seed for MT vs Minn was still too low. Minn paid for that year. MT should have been a 8 or 9 seed at the lowest that year. In my opinion, the NCAA is finding a way to wreck a really good thing. One of the things most people have loved about the NCAA Tournament is the underdogs or lesser known teams could and do knock off the elites in March. The NCAA is slowly but surely wrecking it.

It seems a fair assertion that NCAA selection committee was a factor in Kermit's decision to move on. I think it's fair to say that it wasn't the only or main reason for him moving on. Regarding the end of last season, I have often wondered how much of a factor were those untimely and uncharacteristic losses a result of the distraction of Kermit interviewing and taking the Ole Miss job. Losing to a 9 seed in MT first game in the conf tourney was the one thing MT could not do and still keep an at large bid, in my opinion.

I have to remind myself he went back to his home state. I can't blame him for that.

What's amazing to me is how quickly he's succeeded. Is the crop of players that much better? I don't necessarily believe that.

Better pay, easier to get a tourney bid and top 25 ranking, closer to home but I contend the greatest true home atmosphere he's coached in front was at the Murphy Center. It's hard to beat 11k plus Blue Raider fans, albeit it rare.

I want to let it go but we all know we'll be following him this March.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
I thought kermit would do well at ole miss, he is a good coach but he inherited a better situation there. Not cheering for him, but if he can beat vandy and utk, more power to him. As far as his legacy here, he didn't leave much. Other than one year transfer Williams, and grad transfer Nick King, which he was correct in recruiting, the rest of his recruiting classes that came after the Giddy Potts, Ed Simpson class were poor. Where's the all conference team quality players that signed out of high school with MT that would now be seniors, juniors, and sophmores, that would have prevented the fall off.

Space: I agree that the freshman class of Potts, Simpson, Ivory, and Richmond (?) was the best group of freshmen recruited by Davis before Buffen, Curry, and Fagan. Kermit made a living recruiting lightly recruited "Bigs", from Yates through Jones, who developed into good players. That ability apparently ran out with Tree and Massenburg. Additionally, it's disheartening as a MT fan to see Belmont and Lipscomb continually get local players (some of whom we offered) who could have been major contributors at MT. Something in the water has kept MT, even during a period of unprecedented success, from getting "in on" good high school prospects; I'm not talking about elite prospects or high-major prospects; just those rated high $#&-major. Hopefully this was a Davis problem and not a MT problem and McDevitt can break the code.

As for what Davis did or did not leave in the program: We'll never know if Dixon would have transferred, if the problems with a couple of players would have arisen or been dealt with the same way had it, or if a player would have gotten religion. Regardless; Tree was obviously better than Massenburg, Johnson was a better all-round perimeter player than any guard on the squad presently, Dixon was equal to if not better than Sims (always good to have two PGs on a team - see VU this year), and Shelton-Szmidt is a better shooter than anyone on the team other than possibly Green. The cupboard would not have become so bare had just a couple of these players remained.

As for Davis' roster at Ole Miss. Buffen is contributing but the best freshman is 4 star 6'-7" SG Blake Hinson who apparently was not recruited by MT, offered (and possibly signed???) by Kennedy at Ole Miss.

And dukewayne: agreed that the NCAA tournament is going the way of college FB. I get so damn tired of pundits talking constantly about how many teams each "power" conference will be getting in the tournament. The separation between the haves and have-nots is continually expanding and there is apparently nothing anyone can do to slow it down, much less reverse the trend.

Reactions: dukewayne
Kermit's interviews going into March showed he was leaving. He was less optimistic and more critical of the selection process.

The way I see it is this. If a coach can leave because they are aggravated at the system, I can care even more less than I do.

My kids could hardly care less about watching sports because I've taught them the imbalance of power.

These schools better do something ... these ADs need to be disrupters. Be a hammer.

There's no doubt the younger generation cares less about watching sports in person. Furthermore, this generation has less of an allegiance to "power schools" compared to their parents. They are increasingly choosing "mid-major" schools due to convenience and cost. This is why we have enormous school like UNT and FIU which are called "small schools" by the media. This is a natural progression as urban areas grow.

This is probably a gross over statement but I believe at least some "power schools" are propped up by the media and in fact have dwindling alumni bases. More and more of their crowds are general public.

How many people have parents that went to Tennessee but all their siblings went to MTSU? I think this is the case else where across our conference.

All of that to say, one day our giant alumni base and all of those in our conference will wake up and support their schools.

As for what Davis did or did not leave in the program: We'll never know if Dixon would have transferred, if the problems with a couple of players would have arisen or been dealt with the same way had it, or if a player would have gotten religion.

I seem to recall there were some whispers among those with more contacts than I that before the end of last season, that CKD had decided Tyrik Dixon would not be back. The fact that he decided to transfer at the same time the others were dismissed is not just a coincidence but connected and that leads me to believe Kermit was aware at some level that there were issues that would have to be addressed after the season and that they just did not just pop up out of the clear blue sky a few weeks after CNM arrived.

Reactions: Hop45
I seem to recall there were some whispers among those with more contacts than I that before the end of last season, that CKD had decided Tyrik Dixon would not be back. The fact that he decided to transfer at the same time the others were dismissed is not just a coincidence but connected and that leads me to believe Kermit was aware at some level that there were issues that would have to be addressed after the season and that they just did not just pop up out of the clear blue sky a few weeks after CNM arrived.

This is true. I heard Kermit told McDevitt to boot Tyrik as well but McDevitt apparently wanted to give him a chance. I wonder if McDevitt would have booted Tyrik when Kermit told him to, if Johnson would have ended up having to go as well? Seems like all of them got in trouble together over the same crap. Drugs, guns, and/or violence I'm sure. Maybe getting rid of Tyrik earlier would have changed the potential outcome down the road. Losing Antwan Johnson was simply too much to overcome. He was our best returning player, by far.

When I look back at our returning roster + the 3 recruits + potentially signing another superstar transfer, I am not convinced in the least bit it would have been a rebuilding year if Kermit stayed. Not in the least bit. CUSA isn't even that impressive this year either. Such a shame we can't hit the ground with a rock.

My understanding was that Johnson, Thomas and Dixon were all 3 going to be kicked off, but Dixon apparently found out what was coming and announced he was leaving before he could be dismissed.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
I still want to know what they did, but I guess it is really none of my business.

Hey folks, in the world of things could always be worse:

One of the worst seasons for MT in a long long time, but MT is only half a game behind WKU in conference play. How about that! How would you feel to have a 5 star recruit Freshman future lottery pick along with other big recruits including another signed 5 star last season to end up only being half a game ahead of MT in conference in MT's worst season in about 20 years. That also sort of says something about outlook and expectations when MT is just trying to field a team this season vs WKU struggling with insane recruiting top of the conference classes the last couple of years. It seems at this point, WKU has everything riding on trying to get better by March so that they hope they can get hot early in March to make some sort of postseason tourney.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT