ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL McDevitt on "AllSportsTalk" yesterday

MTFNBY5

Hall of Famer
Jul 26, 2005
Podcast up - interview starts in 2nd half

Some takeaways and impressions:

Team is having 2 closed scrimmages with other D-1 teams rather than any exhibitions - I wonder who the opponents are?
Green is improving his all-round game to go with his shooting and is emerging as a vocal leader
Massenburg, even after the red-shirt year, is still not ready in so many words - must be a miss so far on this somewhat highly touted player.
Sims is being encouraged to shoot more
Gamble is not emerging for his Sr. year after playing behind really good players his entire career and apparently Scurry and Hawthorne will be the starters inside (d--n; that's small)
Butler has had an ankle problem along with an emergency appendectomy and is therefore behind in preparation for the season.
Green, Sims and Butler are all really good shooters

Overall McDevitt was not blowing smoke about the year. I have a feeling (hope I'm wrong) he is not too optimistic about the season.

Reactions: C-Bow
Oct. 27 at Chattanooga
Nov 11 vs. Tennessee Tech

Thanks for the response to my query - I was assuming that we weren't scrimmaging any of the nearby "power" teams this year - somewhat surprising that one of the scrimmages is after the first game (although gotta hope Lees-McRae is little more than a glorified scrimmage)

As an aside: Got any more inside tidbits about the team, players, or recruiting you can share?

I may have the dates wrong. It may be Nov. 1. Not sure exactly.

And by the way I don't know anything. Other than we aren't going to be very good. I though the Lees Mcrae was an exhibition no?? We shouldn't be playing two non-D1 schools but I guess if there is ever a year to do it this is it.

Go figure. The two players that don't seem to be performing are our two tallest players which we desperately need.

Go figure. The two players that don't seem to be performing are our two tallest players which we desperately need.

It is concerning that since everyone (including potential recruits) should have been able to see we needed help inside that the staff couldn't close the deal on at least one "big" (grad transfer, JUCO, whatever) for this year. Gotta wonder just who we missed out on getting; or if we even tried.

It is concerning that since everyone (including potential recruits) should have been able to see we needed help inside that the staff couldn't close the deal on at least one "big" (grad transfer, JUCO, whatever) for this year. Gotta wonder just who we missed out on getting; or if we even tried.

I think it was just too late to get anybody. His first effort was to try to keep the recruits that we had signed. Than the other players left and were kicked off and their were no quality bigs left out there.

I have heard McDevitt himself isn't expecting a good year..... And that's putting it kindly. Won't repeat what I heard he said specifically about the team, but let's just say winning half our games would be a crowning achievement.

He's got a lot of work to do on the recruiting trail.

Sounds as if Andy Herzer was dialed in and correct in his assessment last week. The whole hoping for .500 was be a big success this year is what he identified as well.

And by the way I don't know anything. Other than we aren't going to be very good. I though the Lees Mcrae was an exhibition no?? We shouldn't be playing two non-D1 schools but I guess if there is ever a year to do it this is it.

E-mail I got this week said that the regular season starts with Lees-McRae. Ticket doesn't specify.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT