ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL MBB: Great Alaska Shootout Championship, MT vs Toledo

What a half. Trailed by 8 or 9 at one point. Giddy, Reggie, and Perrin are huge for our team. It is unfortunate we are stuck with Raymond running the one. I understand he is a good kid, and had a relatively good first half, but he is not a point guard. He is turnover-prone, and scares the crap out of me. It stinks Harris isn't aggressive from 3 so far. Stretching that big monster out of the paint really helps. VERY VERY WELL COACHED first half by Davis.

Oh, uncle Mo is here, just need to make sure he stays. We really do have these great flashes. These guys are supposed to beat us, and over the past 7-8 minutes we have really outplayed them.

You can feel we are still controlling the game. Our looks are coming much easier than theirs. That takes its toll. We just can't let Boothe go crazy, he has made several buckets in a row. Give him some different looks to throw off that rhythm.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
We have managed to hold with Giddy out. Now Buford has to leave with some pain. Can't afford to lose him, and Giddy has to stay out of foul trouble. Looks like we are really leaning on Harris and Upshaw to handle the big duty. Phillips hasn't sniffed the court in the second half, but he isn't the only one.

I don't know if you start thinking offense/defense just yet. IMHO you have 5 hot players tonight - Upshaw, Giddy, Simpson, Raymond, and Buford. I just don't know if you can take Harris off the floor in order to deal with Boothe.

Whoever was pinch-hitting for Chip was awesome! He needs to be considered to take over when Chip is gone. He did an outstanding job.

I'm not sure if this is the same that guy that has stepped in previously, but he is the Sounds pxp guy...

excerpt:

...Nashville Sounds play-by-play announcer Jeff Hem was called from the bullpen to relieve Voice of the Blue Raiders Chip Walters during the MTSU men’s basketball broadcasts the past three days, over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend, from the Great Alaska Shootout.

With Walters unavailable to make the trip because of football play-by-play duties Saturday at MTSU’s regular-season finale at Texas-San Antonio, MTSU turned to Hem — the Voice of the Sounds since 2011 — to handle the radio duties for the Blue Raiders’ three games in Anchorage. Blue Raiders color analyst Kyle Turnham, the girls basketball coach at Central Magnet, also did not make the trip.

“Chip reached out to me,” Hem said Friday night from Anchorage before calling the team’s game against UNC-Asheville, “and I was excited to be asked by the Blue Raiders to cover the tournament. I appreciate that he thought of me.”

Like most of the Blue Raiders, it was Hem’s first trip to Alaska.

“I have never been to Alaska, and it is beautiful,” he said. “I have been watching the Great Alaska Shootout forever. It’s the longest-running regular-season college sports tournament in the country.”

One aspect working in Hem’s favor in doing MTSU games from Alaska is that during Sounds broadcasts on the road he serves as his own engineer and producer.

“I am sure it was a comfort to Chip that I knew how to set up the equipment and do a broadcast calling the game on the road, even all the way up here in Alaska,” Hem said...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT