ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL MBB: Auburn vs Middle Tennessee @ Bridgestone, Saturday Noon

These next 4 OOC games are going to go a long way toward revealing how good we can be this year.

Auburn
Belmont
at Georgia State
at South Dakota State

It's possible that we will be underdogs in all 4 games. If we win 2 of the 4, I'll feel pretty good about our chances inside the conference. If we go 3-1 or 4-0, I'll be really excited about our position.

Our OOC schedule this year is really strong. Our Division 1 OOC opponents are projected to finish the season a combined 53 games over .500 right now according to the Pomeroy ratings.

C-USA on the other hand has not looked good at all in OOC play. There is a clear delineation between the top 6 teams (UAB, ODU, UTEP, MT, LT, WKU in some order) and the bottom 8 teams. The bottom 8 teams have looked awful so far. They only have 8 Division 1 wins between them to this point.

Reactions: Raiderclyde
Preview: Auburn at Middle Tennessee

...Auburn's depth has been a big factor in its 4-1 start and is expected to add at least one player to its high-scoring arsenal when they visit Middle Tennessee in Nashville, Tenn., on Saturday. The Tigers average 90.2 points - fifth in the nation through Wednesday's games - and welcome back freshman guard New Williams, who missed all but eight minutes this season because of a knee injury, but junior guard Tahj Shamsid-Deen (shoulder) probably won't play, according to coach Bruce Pearl.Williams bolsters a starting backcourt consisting of juniors Kareem Canty and T.J. Dunans, and sophomore TJ Lang that accounts for a combined 41.6 points per game, but could have a tough time getting on the court. "I think New's a guy that like a lot of freshmen, needs the repetitions and it's difficult to get him those reps in practice because I've got so many other pieces," Pearl told reporters. "Certainly he has not got a lot of reps in the games but I could see him playing in this next stretch." The Blue Raiders, who won the Great Alaska Shootout last month, are coming off a 68-55 victory over South Alabama on Saturday. Middle Tennessee, which was picked to finish third in the Conference USA preseason poll, could provide Auburn's offense a stern test as it allows only 65 points per game.

TV: 1 p.m. ET, No TV

ABOUT AUBURN (4-1): The Tigers, who haven't played since an 81-78 victory at Coastal Carolina on Dec. 2, boast five players scoring in double figures led by Canty (17.2 points, team-high 5.8 assists per game) with Lang averaging 9.2. Senior forward Tyler Harris (17.0 points, team-best 8.0 rebounds) recorded 21 points and 12 rebounds against Coastal Carolina. Freshman guard Bryce Brown has scored 40 points in 51 minutes over four games and is 13-for-26 from the field while senior forward Cinmeon Bowers (11.8 points, 7.4 rebounds) is validating a junior season in which he averaged 12.1 points and 9.6 rebounds.

ABOUT MIDDLE TENNESSEE (5-2): The Blue Raiders are led in scoring by sophomore guard Giddy Potts (14.3 points per game), who also contributes 6.6 rebounds. Senior forward Darnell Harris (11.9 points, 4.4 rebounds, 40.7 field-goal percentage) scored 37 points and converted 13-of-23 shots from the floor in the last two games. All-Conference USA preseason selection Reggie Upshaw, a junior forward, averages 11.1 points and a team-best 7.6 rebounds.

TIP-INS1. Auburn was 17th in the country in 3-point field goal percentage at 41.5 with Lang (11-for-19) leading the way.2. Middle Tennessee is 72-12 since the start of the 2011-12 season when scoring 60 or more points per game.3. The Tigers lead the series 3-0 after a 64-48 victory last season while Pearl is 6-0 versus the Blue Raiders, with five victories coming as Tennessee coach.

PREDICTION: Middle Tennessee 72, Auburn 71

Last edited:
goblueraiders.com:

MT TO ROLL INTO BRIDGESTONE ARENA ON SATURDAY

GAME INFORMATION
(FULL GAME NOTES)

Hashtag: #TrueFamily, #BlueRaiders
Twitter: MT_MBB
Instagram: @MT_MBB
Facebook: Blue Raider Athletics

Date: Saturday, Dec. 12
Time: 12:00 p.m.
Teams: Auburn (4-1) at Middle Tennessee (5-2)
Stadium: Bridgestone Arena (17,113)
TV: MT10
Radio: WMOT-FM (89.5), WGNS (1450 AM/100.5 FM/101.9 FM), Game 2 (102.5/94.9/95.1)
Play-by-Play:Chip Walters
Analysis: Kyle Turnham

Live Audio/Live Streaming | Live Stats

Anyone know what channel this comes on? Channel 10 on Comcast just shows government access all day.

I see that "video" is now showing on the game site but I wouldn't get my hopes up. Been known to occasionally (perhaps a better word is frequently) get information wrong on GoBlueRaiders.com. We'll find out soon enough.

so there is no video on goblueraiders.com just audio and I cant findit on tv. its amazing to me how bushleague our athletic dept can be at times

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Auburn is quicker, more athletic, and we are not taking care oft he ball. Auburn getting away with fouls and the Raiders are not.

What a win. When we were down by 9 at the half, I thought the game was over. When Canty single-handedly tied brought them back in the game to take it to O.T. i thought it was over. We really showed a lot of heart in this game and did what we had to do. Now we have to cheer for Auburn the rest of the year.

Players bailed Kermit out. How you let that kid shoot the 3 at the end of regulation is inexplicable.

Once that guy crossed half-court he was a threat. I wasn't too upset we didn't foul because we could have fouled him during a shot. He hit 2 of the hardest 3's I have ever seen at the end of regulation.

Proud of Kermit and the boys...been a tough schedule. They are starting to really come together.

I was in MC watching my nephew graduate as the game was ending.

Once that guy crossed half-court he was a threat. I wasn't too upset we didn't foul because we could have fouled him during a shot. He hit 2 of the hardest 3's I have ever seen at the end of regulation.

I don't think Kermit was confident in our ability to inbound the ball after the free throws if we fouled. Rightfully so.

What I like are the two arrows pointing up on the site showing our trajectory. (and that we're above Belmont - although rankings will mean zilch Thurs. night.). Have to remember that it'll take a while longer for RPIs to shake out but I do like where we are.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT