ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Marshall @ Middle Tennessee, 7PM, Thursday, January 12, 2017

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
Middle Tennessee (13-3, 3-0 C-USA) vs Marshall (11-6, 4-0 C-USA)

Date: Thursday, January 12

Tip-Off: 7:00 p.m. CT

TV: BeIN, Mike Gleason (PxP), Jason Capel (analyst) - Comcast: Channel 708, DirecTV: Channel 620, Dish: Channel 392, AT&T U-verse: Channel 1662

Online Streaming: Live Video

Radio: 97.5 FM, 102.5 FM, 1450 AM, 89.5 FM, 100.5 FM, 101.9 FM

Free Audio: Click here

Series Record: MT leads 8-3

Last Meeting: MT won 99-90 in CUSA Championship Semifinals

Rosters: MT / MU

warren nolan live rpi: MT #19 / MU #72

Live-RPI.com: MT #19 / MU #73

Sagarin: MT #61 / MU #107

Pomeroy: MT #58 / MU #96

KPI: MT #21 / MU #99

Last edited:
I'm super worried about this game. This is probably the most underrated team we'll face all season. If our guys are not ready to go, we will get blown out.

I'm super worried about this game. This is probably the most underrated team we'll face all season. If our guys are not ready to go, we will get blown out.

While we should respect them, they haven't won a game on the road against a top level team. But yeah, they scare me with their ability to score points.

Reactions: chuck1069
While we should respect them, they haven't won a game on the road against a top level team. But yeah, they scare me with their ability to score points.
In fact, their only road wins are in conference play at FIU and FAU. Sincerely hope that trend continues - they're a tough out and our team HAS to be ready to play at 100% effort and energy otherwise they will outscore us.

Reactions: chuck1069
excerpt:

...The Marshall Thundering Herd will travel to the Murphy Athletic Center to take on the Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders this Thursday night in College Basketball action.

The Marshall Thundering Herd won their 4th straight game and improved to 11-6 (4-0 C-USA) on the season after defeating the Charlotte 49ers, 110-93, this past Saturday. Marshall was unstoppable on the offensive end and was able to pull away from Charlotte after putting up 58 2nd half points. Marshall shot 52.1% from the field and 54.5% (12-22) from beyond the arc in the victory. Leading the way for the Thundering Herd was Jon Elmore who had a double-double with 29 points, 10 assists, 4 rebounds, and 2 steals. On the season, Marshall is averaging 89.9 ppg on 47.7% shooting from the field. The Thundering Herd are averaging 10.4 three-pointers per game on 39.3% shooting from beyond the arc. Offensively, Marshall has been led by Jon Elmore (21.1 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 6.5 apg, 1.5 spg), Stevie Browning (16.9 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 3.1 apg, 1.3 spg), Ryan Taylor (15.6 ppg, 8.4 rpg, 2.5 apg, 1.9 bpg), C.J. Burks (12.1 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 2.9 apg). Defensively, Marshall is allowing their opponents to average 85.2 ppg on 45.9% shooting from the field. The Thundering Herd have a rebound margin of -3.9 and a turnover margin of 0.7.

The Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders won their 3rd straight game and improved to 13-3 (3-0 C-USA) on the season after defeating the North Texas Mean Green, 79-68, this past Saturday. Middle Tennessee went into halftime with a 37-27 lead and led by double-digits for the majority of the 2nd half in the victory. Middle Tennessee shot 42.2% from the field and outrebounded the Mean Green by a 40-30 margin. Leading the way for the Blue Raiders was JaCorey Williams who had a double-double with 16 points, 10 rebounds, 2 blocks, and 2 steals. On the season, Middle Tennessee is averaging 74.1 ppg on 47.8% shooting from the field. The Blue Raiders are averaging 6.6 three-pointers per game on 38.2% shooting from beyond the arc. Offensively, Middle Tennessee has been led by JaCorey Williams (17.4 ppg, 7.1 rpg, 1.9 apg), Giddy Potts (16.1 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 2.2 apg, 1.6 spg), Reggie Upshaw (15.6 ppg, 6.6 rpg, 3.1 apg, 1.7 spg), and Edward Simpson (5.1 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 2.9 apg). Defensively, Middle Tennessee is allowing their opponents to average 65.4 ppg on 42.7% shooting from the field. The Blue Raiders have a rebound margin of 2.4 and a turnover margin of 4.2.

The Thundering Herd are 4-0 ATS in their last 4 road games and 19-7-1 ATS in their last 27 games following a ATS win. The Blue Raiders are 4-0 ATS in their last 4 Thursday games and 5-1 ATS in their last 6 games vs. C-USA opponents.

Marshall has been one of the more exciting teams to watch on the offensive end this season as the Thundering Herd like to push the tempo of the game. Coming into this matchup, Marshall has the 6th ranked scoring offense, 47th ranked FG%, and 35th ranked 3P-FG%. Middle Tennessee is one of the better mid-major teams in the country and as they have three great playmakers in JaCorey Williams, Giddy Potts, and Reggie Upshaw. Middle Tennessee has been solid on both sides of the ball as they have the 49th ranked scoring defense and 45th ranked FG%. Middle Tennessee is a great team, however, Marshall lost road games to Cincinnati and Pittsburgh before the start of conference play by an average of just 4.0 ppg, and if their offense was able to keep those games close, Marshall and this many points is the play here. Take Marshall and the points.....

live streaming - watch the game last week and I thought it was a good viewing experience

https://www.facebook.com/beINCOLLEGE/?fref=ts
Well, BeIN on my Comcast 708 is crap. The feed is awful. Some soccer match on right now. Heck, Belmont and Morehead will play tonite on ESPNU in HD. Typical CUSA TV rights as it has been for years. Now we got al-Jazeera. SMH

Last edited:
I think we have a good one in Dixon. He is such a calm player but extremely tough. I am glad to see Gamble getting some great minutes tonight.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
Pathetic crowd. I upped my group by 1 tonight but it felt like I was the only one who did so. 4600 for a Thursday 7pm game against a name people probably recognize is problematic. Team was ready to play and gave it their all. Where are our alumni giving their all? Students? Yikes!

Attendance was really disappointing. School still out of session is really not helping. It may have been upwards of 6000 had the students been around to turnout with their rowdiness.

The crowd for WKU has to be better. Hopefully good turnout for 100 Miles of Hate.

herdinsider.com:

Herd Men Lose First C-USA Game At Middle Tennessee, 69-57

excerpt:

...the final score does not show how the Blue Raiders dominated the game. They held the Herd to just 54 shots, making 20 (37%, and 18 fewer shots than Middle) and were out-rebounded by Middle 58-to-25 (the low of the year, minus−33 rebounds topping the minus-29 at Ohio State, and no other team had topped 47 rebounds except the Buckeyes with 61). That led to a 40-to-22 edge in points in the paint for the Blue Raiders, and the Herd’s five threes are the fewest threes of the season except for four against Jackson State (in a 71-61 win).

“They were more physical than we were,” Herd Coach Danny D’Antoni said. “They beat us up on the inside. We did a nice job defending. They shot 40 percent and most of those were layups from put-backs. From guarding our sets, we did a good job.

“Their physicality took over. When that happened, we stopped moving the ball on the other end. We weren’t quick and we didn’t have our quick movement and pace. Some people say it’s strength and size.

“It’s more than that. It’s reacting first. If you react first, you don’t have the strength in the situation that you wouldn’t have from reacting second. We let their size and strength take over and we have to be better than that.”

Senior forward Ryan Taylor led the Herd with 12 points — lower by seven than the 19 points both Taylor and Jon Elmore scored in the 89-80 loss at EKU — hitting 6-of-13 shots, and Taylor also had eight rebounds, an assist and a steal. Fellow senior guard Stevie Browning added 11 points, on just 4-of-10 shooting (including 0-for-3 from three), with two rebounds, two assists and a steal, while Elmore had 10 points, hitting just 2-of-7 from the field, 2-of-4 from three (late in the game threes) and 4-of-7 at the line.

The Herd was 5-of-19 from distance (26.3%) and hit just 12-of-20 from the line (60%). Amazingly, the Herd had 13 steals but just as amazing is the fact the Herd had only five assists dealt out.....

If this team doesn't start hitting shots then we will be in trouble. Thank goodness Marshall was cold as well. Giddy seems to have lost confidence. Our defense looks good (wish I could have said that during FB). Great win.
I agree with JDB. M'boro stinks. This team deserves much better. I believe folks here are just lazy. You can see it at the grocery stores waiting 15 minutes to park 10 ft closer to the door. Pathetic.
MC needs to be rockin Saturday.

Pathetic crowd. I upped my group by 1 tonight but it felt like I was the only one who did so. 4600 for a Thursday 7pm game against a name people probably recognize is problematic. Team was ready to play and gave it their all. Where are our alumni giving their all? Students? Yikes!
I noticed the blue hair crowd was low. What is going on. This is really sad.

No one, and I mean NO ONE, is more disappointed in the lack of growth in fan support over the past 5+ years with the undreamed of success. I really thought, in the words of Monte Hale, Jr. spoken a half dozen or more years ago that the Boro was a BkB town and if the Raiders started winning crowds would return to the 70s and 80s level.

Yes, the students were not in town last night (with the long winter break between semesters the season is over before the students have a chance to become engaged) and that is part of the disappointing crowd. And it's hard to estimate what the 20 +/- years of mediocrity did to the fan base. But, we are not the only team with attendance problems. VU was only at 89% capacity for freaking Kentucky. Just a few years ago enough UK fans would have filled Memorial by themselves to see their beloved Wildcats. And it's not so long ago that all season tickets were sold for VU BkB and the venue was at capacity no matter the opponent. We are also aware that Belmont's attendance is just a fraction of what it should be considering their success. TTU, TSU, and AP don't draw nearly as well as a couple of decades ago. In the entire mid-state local college BkB is no longer the premiere winter sporting interest to potential fans.

I'm as frustrated as Davis, Massaro, and anyone else who's a Blue Raider fan. But we're not VCU, UTEP, SIU, Butler, etc. where we have more recent tradition and/or are the only game in town. I'm not sure what a million dollar promotion campaign could do to move MT attendance, should we have the budget for it. It's a shame but I'm afraid it is what it is. I'm trying hard to be satisfied with the small growth in attendance for MT BkB but I sure wish The Murph could be rockin' like I remember.

Last edited:
95% of our students suck at showing up so even if they were there, it may have added 30 more butts in the seats.

Anybody actually believe one of our fans said this? I am pretty sure we average over 4,500 fans.

Quote from one of Marshall's boards:

"Yep. A MTSU fan near me said this was a big crowd for them. He said it was hyped by media more than any recent game in years. The place holds 11,000. I would say it looked to me like maybe 3,500 were there. Other than the pep band, which was very good BTW, I would say maybe 40 students there. They have over 23,000 enrolled."

http://www.herdfans.com/12thman/index.php?topic=95343.0

Wasn't last night one of the lowest attended this season? Kermit didn't say much in post game but thanked the ones that were there. Gotta be discouraging for him.

Wasn't last night one of the lowest attended this season? Kermit didn't say much in post game but thanked the ones that were there. Gotta be discouraging for him.

The students are in class yet. Why would Anyone expect more than 4K. I am astounded. When was the last time we had a big crowd for an early Jan CUSA game? I was out of town for work and didn't make it

While the program is better it's simply not ata point of having 7-8k for Marshall.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT