ADVERTISEMENT

MAC talk

Despite the sky is falling attitudes of some of us, I’m glad that it seems like we will have a stable and long term home.

To be fair and frank, it's exactly where we belong. The Sun Belt/AAC is for the tryhards that truly want to try and build something and aspire to be great. The south takes sports much more seriously than the rest of the country, and their commitment towards their athletics programs is obviously unmatched by their northern counterparts. Look no further than budgets/$$$ invested into their programs if you need cold hard evidence.

The MAC is for the mediocre looking to pass the time who don't really take athletics seriously and don't want to roll the dice or invest a bunch of money into it, aka, Middle Tennessee State University. Unlike the south, athletics don't mean as much up north. It's whatever.

We are right where we belong.

We are right where we belong, but it’s impossible for us to be forward leaning now (false: we actually have a much better shot of winning in MAC that we did in dying CUSA). No longer gonna bury our heads in the sand - M&M are here and steering the ship. Get used to it!

Doug,

It's a negative recruitment thing. I've seen our own staff deploy the same tactics, literally can give you names of the players and hell I'll even tell you the coach that did it. They all do it. And it works pretty often. If a kid was considering EMU, WMU, MT, Troy, App St, Ark St....All the southern coaches are telling that kid you don't wanna play up north, its cold, the MAC sucks, the north doesn't care about football, parents can't come to your games, you'll transfer home after 1 year, etc.

Then they will tell you names of all the kids at high schools in your area over the last few years that did exactly that, signed with a MAC school and then transferred home. Because TONS of them do. It's negative recruiting and it works. We already struggled against southern G5 teams in recruiting because our facilities and coaches suck, now it will be nearly impossible to sign kids that any SBC school wants because we won't be able to compete in any way. We will be negative recruited big time. So our GA, AL, FL, even TN recruiting is going to become more difficult. So we will be forced to look more north, because its our natural area to recruit based on our school/conference now. But those relationships don't appear over night. Can take years, even decades.

I don't know if I agree with your points.

You play max 2 or 3 cold weather games a year. It's not the Dakota's in January. It's not that big of a deal. 1/6th of all MAC signees last year were from southern footprint states. Buy a coat and pretend you're playing at Ohio State.

And here's the deal - you don't have to out-recruit a bunch of Sunbelt teams. You just have to out-recruit other MAC northern teams. We play in the MAC now (maybe), we don't have to have the best class in the Sunbelt.

And for pete's sake - if you just limited every recruit to instate teams, then we still have pretty much the best recruiting grounds in the conference just in Tennessee.

Next, I'm not sure the whole "relationships" thing is as big a deal as you make it. Coaching is a transient business. Staffs come and go all the time. Programs are constantly building and rebuilding staffs all across the sport. It's not like some high school is going to lock the door because an MT coach wants to come by and look at a recruit. Hire a recruiter or two from whatever area you want to hit and you're golden.

And ultimately, how would this situation change at all if we were in a conference with UConn, LT, NMSU/UTEP/FIU and a couple of Texas FCS teams.

None of those teams are close enough for anyone to reasonably attend. There's nothing "southern" about that conference. Most of them are in states that don't care that much either about football or about that program, most of those teams aren't competitive enough to avoid the "sucks" moniker, none of those games are going to be on any network that anyone is going to be watching (I can't stress this ESPN thing enough).

Finally, this keeps circling back to the same statement that no one wants to address - THERE IS NO ALTERNATIVE. It's pretty much the MAC, or the program is going to die as an independent or find itself in a conference filled with Texas FCS teams.

The conference that you want to be in, where you call up a bunch of close regional FCS teams that all turn into Coastal Carolina success stories is a fantasy that doesn't exist.

And I know, you and a few others are sooooo pi$$$ed off that you'd rather the whole thing burn down and have no football etc, etc etc. Ok.

But I don't really have a problem with the MAC. There's been plenty of good MAC teams, and I think we're set up to be pretty successful there. And who knows where a good decade run of success might actually lead us.

Has there even been a peep out of Judy? And we thought MT leadership was bad? This lady has the whole conference to look after and she screwed that up and lost damn near all teams.

Why didn't anyone ask why CUSA wasn't doing the poaching of teams to build it up? Why did they just sit and do nothing? She might be the only person that has worse leadership than Massaro.

I don't know if I agree with your points.

You play max 2 or 3 cold weather games a year. It's not the Dakota's in January. It's not that big of a deal. 1/6th of all MAC signees last year were from southern footprint states. Buy a coat and pretend you're playing at Ohio State.

And here's the deal - you don't have to out-recruit a bunch of Sunbelt teams. You just have to out-recruit other MAC northern teams. We play in the MAC now (maybe), we don't have to have the best class in the Sunbelt.

And for pete's sake - if you just limited every recruit to instate teams, then we still have pretty much the best recruiting grounds in the conference just in Tennessee.

Next, I'm not sure the whole "relationships" thing is as big a deal as you make it. Coaching is a transient business. Staffs come and go all the time. Programs are constantly building and rebuilding staffs all across the sport. It's not like some high school is going to lock the door because an MT coach wants to come by and look at a recruit. Hire a recruiter or two from whatever area you want to hit and you're golden.

And ultimately, how would this situation change at all if we were in a conference with UConn, LT, NMSU/UTEP/FIU and a couple of Texas FCS teams.

None of those teams are close enough for anyone to reasonably attend. There's nothing "southern" about that conference. Most of them are in states that don't care that much either about football or about that program, most of those teams aren't competitive enough to avoid the "sucks" moniker, none of those games are going to be on any network that anyone is going to be watching (I can't stress this ESPN thing enough).

Finally, this keeps circling back to the same statement that no one wants to address - THERE IS NO ALTERNATIVE. It's pretty much the MAC, or the program is going to die as an independent or find itself in a conference filled with Texas FCS teams.

The conference that you want to be in, where you call up a bunch of close regional FCS teams that all turn into Coastal Carolina success stories is a fantasy that doesn't exist.

And I know, you and a few others are sooooo pi$$$ed off that you'd rather the whole thing burn down and have no football etc, etc etc. Ok.

But I don't really have a problem with the MAC. There's been plenty of good MAC teams, and I think we're set up to be pretty successful there. And who knows where a good decade run of success might actually lead us.

The alternative is a difference of $20 million dollars. I'd rather stay put and try to build MT inside CUSA with that $20+ million in our pockets and then look for better opportunities down the road. Your point about being in a conference with Liberty/UTEP/FIU/Uconn is a valid one. Both choices are total garbage from a long-term outlook, but at least with CUSA we can pocket over $20 million and try to position ourselves for the next AAC/SBC invitations because there is 100% more dominos still to fall.

By joining the MAC now we play our hand early and we are effectively done forever. We will never leave the MAC. We won't be able to afford it. Instead of pocketing $20 million, we will now be forking over millions in exit fee's + MAC entrance fee's. And before you think CUSA folding gets us out of exit fee's, it doesn't. There is legal precedence for this matter actually and the exit fee's WILL still have to be paid to the remaining members when/if it folds.

I'd rather be in a crappy conference with $20 million in our pocket instead of a crappy conference, broke as hell, with no positive future outlook. I'd rather shut it all down than the latter option, actually.

Did somebody say no MAC games are on the tube??? Really???

This week alone:
Ball State at Akron CBSSN
Miami (Ohio) at Ohio ESPNU
Eastern Michigan at Toledo ESPN2
Central Michigan at Western Michigan ESPNU
Northern Illinois at Kent State ESPN2
about to be MAC:
Middle Tennessee at Western Kentucky Stadium

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In addition to the Ohio U. basketball games on national TV vs UK, LSU, etc. for $6/month I can get all of the rest them on ESPN+ and thousands of other games and various sports.

The alternative is a difference of $20 million dollars. I'd rather stay put and try to build MT inside CUSA with that $20+ million in our pockets and then look for better opportunities down the road. Your point about being in a conference with Liberty/UTEP/FIU/Uconn is a valid one. Both choices are total garbage from a long-term outlook, but at least with CUSA we can pocket over $20 million and try to position ourselves for the next AAC/SBC invitations because there is 100% more dominos still to fall.

By joining the MAC now we play our hand early and we are effectively done forever. We will never leave the MAC. We won't be able to afford it. Instead of pocketing $20 million, we will now be forking over millions in exit fee's + MAC entrance fee's. And before you think CUSA folding gets us out of exit fee's, it doesn't. There is legal precedence for this matter actually and the exit fee's WILL still have to be paid to the remaining members when/if it folds.

I'd rather be in a crappy conference with $20 million in our pocket instead of a crappy conference, broke as hell, with no positive future outlook. I'd rather shut it all down than the latter option, actually.
There probably won't be any exit fees if MT/WKU leave that leaves 3 teams, 5 below what they have to be a conference.

Give it up Wiley. Our fan base is fine with .333 win pct in bowls or even going back to the OVC. MT leadership and most of its waning fan base don’t care about excellence. When we play G4 OOC or a SBC school in a bowl game and keep getting thrashed like we did by App St but to the likes of Georgia St, South Alabama and probably even ULM some day maybe it will sink in.

To some the the guarantee of safety in a sea mediocrity is more palpable than risking being great. The talk of being the next Boise or even modeling our athletics after Louisville was never anything more than talk. I would probably be ok with it if our closest non-wkcc opponent wasn’t six hours away. People can talk average distance all they want because UTEP is in the league but as I said before nine of the other 10 teams in the MAC outside of the two I mentioned are 10+ hour road trips and everyone seems to have no problem glossing over that fact. And all significantly north. Most schools in the MAC are closer to Canada than Tennessee so it may not be Siberia but it’s damn sure going to feel like it.

Thanks to everyone for the discussion and a good debate. And for putting up with a dissenting perspective. Cheers! And God Bless.

There probably won't be any exit fees if MT/WKU leave that leaves 3 teams, 5 below what they have to be a conference.

Did you read my whole post? The exit fee's will still have to be paid.

Geesh, guys! I came over here to read about how the MAC is saving your @ss and how grateful you must be for it only to find that you have a superiority complex. Hate to break it to you but Middle Tennessee doesn't conjure up anything that remotely resembles your attitude. The old CUSA wasn't that great and the new CUSA, well, doubt there will even be a new CUSA. Your alum/fan who lives in Ohio sounds like a miserable person and there are many great things about living in Ohio, especially a city like Columbus. On one hand you're complaining that your facilities haven't been upgraded and that no one cares enough about MT's success but then you bash the MAC schools as having trash facilities and that they don't care about athletics like those in the South? So dumb. Seriously, do your homework and bring your A game to the MAC because the Ohio Bobcats and many others do care and we will clown stomp you. Our endowment is over $700M and although we don't place an unhealthy emphasis on college athletics, we intend to win championships. BTW, we have an IPF. Good luck!

Geesh, guys! I came over here to read about how the MAC is saving your @ss and how grateful you must be for it only to find that you have a superiority complex. Hate to break it to you but Middle Tennessee doesn't conjure up anything that remotely resembles your attitude. The old CUSA wasn't that great and the new CUSA, well, doubt there will even be a new CUSA. Your alum/fan who lives in Ohio sounds like a miserable person and there are many great things about living in Ohio, especially a city like Columbus. On one hand you're complaining that your facilities haven't been upgraded and that no one cares enough about MT's success but then you bash the MAC schools as having trash facilities and that they don't care about athletics like those in the South? So dumb. Seriously, do your homework and bring your A game to the MAC because the Ohio Bobcats and many others do care and we will clown stomp you. Our endowment is over $700M and although we don't place an unhealthy emphasis on college athletics, we intend to win championships. BTW, we have an IPF. Good luck!
Most of us are looking forward to being a part of the MAC. I know I am.

Massive sign of relief. If you are LaTech, UTEP, FIU.....you are screwed right now. I feel bad for them.

I'm really excited by this. MAC has had more ranked teams than CUSA in the last 5 years and it is certainly a step up for many reasons.

Welcome to the board! Just know you are jumping in midstream into a going on decades long debate. Trust me we have no superiority complex here. If anything it’s the opposite. 😂

I grew up in the west side of Nashville (Bellevue). Went to college in Ohio. Lived in Columbus. Lived near Nippers Corner in Nashville. Lived near Smyrna in Rutherford County. I have PLENTY experience with Ohio and Tennessee both. For every Brentwood and Franklin here, Columbus has a New Albany and Delaware. We have mountains in east TN, they have the Hocking Hills in S.E. Ohio. Columbus is a state capitol in the middle of the state with a river running through downtown, a hockey arena, and a large school not far from downtown. Nashville is a state capitol in the middle of the state with a river running through downtown, a hockey arena, and a large school not far from downtown. Both cities have gentrified areas you wouldn't want to have lived in 30 years ago but are now trendy. I really don't see what the huge friggin' big difference is. And home sales are booming both places if anybody feels the need to "flee" from one.

COLUMBUS (WCMH) – Columbus is one of the nation’s fastest-growing large metropolitan areas and the fastest in the Midwest, according to the latest population estimates released by the U.S. Census Bureau

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — New detailed population data from the U.S. Census Bureau shows areas in and around Nashville saw a population boom over the last decade

Last edited:
Last time we competed against a MAC school was 2004. I drove to Akron and Andy's team won.

Since then, CMU handed us our butts at the MCB and Dwight Dasher looked lost against M-Ohio. I don't think these southern conferences are any better than our new conference mates.

Don’t worry. The wackadoodles show themselves early and often around here. Most of our fan base is going to be thrilled with the MAC once the benefits start piling up.

Southwest flies non-stop to three major airports in MAC areas plus connects easily to Buffalo.

There's a benefit to add to the pile.

Last time we competed against a MAC school was 2004. I drove to Akron and Andy's team won.

Since then, CMU handed us our butts at the MCB and Dwight Dasher looked lost against M-Ohio. I don't think these southern conferences are any better than our new conference mates.
I still contend that Dasher had money on Miami in that game.

When we are involved, sure. Like I said, in our current state, we absolutely belong in the MAC.

Pretty sure we will have the biggest athletic budget in the conference. WMU might be bigger but last I heard they had to make big cuts because of covid. Overall, their programs are very broke and poor. They don't commit to sports like schools in the south do. We'll see what WMU does with their $500 million donation.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/s...letic-department-budget-6-million/3113180001/

Doug,

It's a negative recruitment thing. I've seen our own staff deploy the same tactics, literally can give you names of the players and hell I'll even tell you the coach that did it. They all do it. And it works pretty often. If a kid was considering EMU, WMU, MT, Troy, App St, Ark St....All the southern coaches are telling that kid you don't wanna play up north, its cold, the MAC sucks, the north doesn't care about football, parents can't come to your games, you'll transfer home after 1 year, etc.

Then they will tell you names of all the kids at high schools in your area over the last few years that did exactly that, signed with a MAC school or northern school and then transferred home. Before they all went 1-AA, but now they can transfer home and play right away anywhere. And let me tell you, this happens all the time. Anyway, now the kid being recruited really is thinking "Man, I should stay with a southern school, I don't want to end up like them!" It's negative recruiting and it works remarkably well. There's a reason MAC schools are flooded with northern players and not players from the south.

We already struggled against southern G5 teams in recruiting because our facilities and coaches suck, now it will be nearly impossible to sign kids that any SBC school wants because we won't be able to compete in any way. We will be negative recruited into oblivion on top of our already terrible facilities and coaches. So our GA, AL, FL, even TN recruiting is going to become more difficult. Hell, just ask yourself this, if you played football down south and you were being recruited by G5 programs, would you sign with a school in the MAC, Sun Belt, or AAC? Give me your pecking order....

That's what I thought.

We will be forced to look more north, because its our natural area to recruit based on our school/conference now. But those relationships don't appear over night. Can take years, even decades.
I realize this is not the best option but it’s the only option and it’s a hell of a lot better than nothing.

Reactions: MTOleBlue

There is no proof that CUSA stays viable. I also do not believe we are going to get a dime. Judy would have been out front with with and she is silent.

Everything I said about Ohio is true. Sorry if the truth hurts. You are welcome to correct anything I said.

The state/city/local/school district/take a shit taxes here in this state should be CRIMINAL. It's literally almost another 10% of my income, on top of the federal taxes I already pay. Go live in Tennessee, Texas, or Florida. The infrastructure is actually BETTER in those states AND you only pay your federal taxes...everything else goes in your pocket. How in the world does Ohio have worse infrastructure while collecting all these taxes?

In Ohio, the infrastructure is worse, AND they steal state/city/local/school district taxes from your paycheck. I'm gonna need an explanation on how exactly that's fair/reasonable (and no, you don't pay a bunch more in property taxes in TX/FL/TN. The sales tax is SLIGHTLY higher, and that's it.) Sad state of affairs here in Ohio, but the vast majority of people were born here and never left the state so they just blindly pay all these taxes and don't know any better.

I flew SWA non-stop to Cleveland just last week. Just an hour and 15 minutes.
People can make fun of Cleveland all they want, but it's awesome.

I went a few months ago too. Little Italy, the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, and best of all - the Cleveland Museum of Art which is, if I heard correctly, the 3rd biggest in the world. And cost $0.00 to go to. Not a typo.

Yeah, the river caught on fire 50 years ago, hahaha. Not exactly like Memphis doesn't have it's issues, right here in TN.

People can make fun of Cleveland all they want, but it's awesome.

I went a few months ago too. Little Italy, the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, and best of all - the Cleveland Museum of Art which is, if I heard correctly, the 3rd biggest in the world. And cost $0.00 to go to. Not a typo.

Yeah, the river caught on fire 50 years ago, hahaha. Not exactly like Memphis doesn't have it's issues, right here in TN.
One of my best friends lives in Cleveland. Mistake on the Lake or not, it’s a fun city and I’m excited to visit for MAC Tournaments!

Reactions: Raiders_55
I think this is a good fit.

First - from a competitive standpoint, we seem to fit in well in the MAC, if not better than most. I know this rankles folks who think we should be better than we are, but as long as M&M are in charge, we are what we are and all the whining and complaining and crying and gnashing of teeth aren't going to change it. I think us and WKU have the potential to be very, very good in that conference very quickly.

In CUSA, even the old CUSA, MT and WKY were likely always going to be at a disadvantage to Florida schools or Texas schools or schools with much bigger budgets. Or just schools that are actually trying to win (unlike MT).

Next - I know there's this fantasy about some other conference coming along and calling MT, but the odds of that happening in the near future before CUSA collapses are pretty much zero.

The odds of CUSA backfilling with a bunch of FCS sleeping giants is also pretty much zero. Half of the CUSA targets in FCS have been pretty much said “Thanks Judy, we’ll think about it, also don’t call us, we’ll call you “. If it manages to survive, it’s going to be highly Texas-centric. Not a recipe for our success.

Finally, we’re back in with ESPN. This is huge. Yes there may be some MAC-tion weekday games. But you know, for a team struggling with attendance in a market filled with SEC folks, it’s not the worst idea in the world to not go head to head all the time with the SEC game of the week on Saturday at 330. A little zigging while they zag might be a good way to get a little attention.

If we can just get rid of Stockstill, we might be in business…..

First - from a competitive standpoint, we seem to fit in well in the MAC, if not better than most. I know this rankles folks who think we should be better than we are, but as long as M&M are in charge, we are what we are and all the whining and complaining and crying and gnashing of teeth aren't going to change it. I think us and WKU have the potential to be very, very good in that conference very quickly.

In CUSA, even the old CUSA, MT and WKY were likely always going to be at a disadvantage to Florida schools or Texas schools or schools with much bigger budgets. Or just schools that are actually trying to win (unlike MT).

Next - I know there's this fantasy about some other conference coming along and calling MT, but the odds of that happening in the near future before CUSA collapses are pretty much zero.

The odds of CUSA backfilling with a bunch of FCS sleeping giants is also pretty much zero. Half of the CUSA targets in FCS have been pretty much said “Thanks Judy, we’ll think about it, also don’t call us, we’ll call you “. If it manages to survive, it’s going to be highly Texas-centric. Not a recipe for our success.

Finally, we’re back in with ESPN. This is huge. Yes there may be some MAC-tion weekday games. But you know, for a team struggling with attendance in a market filled with SEC folks, it’s not the worst idea in the world to not go head to head all the time with the SEC game of the week on Saturday at 330. A little zigging while they zag might be a good way to get a little attention.

Doug gets it.

Long-time listener, first-time caller here, but BINGO. The sense of superiority by a select few here has me scratching my head. We're bad and, honestly, the MAC is a far better option than some reconfiguration of the C-USA. I have little-to-no faith that our current leadership can act on this opportunity, but it's an opportunity nonetheless and those guys won't be there forever.

MT01,
Do you know what caused Middle and WKU to go screaming to the MAC?
Do you know who CUSA is talking to?
In theory, staying in a conference that tries to rebuild with the best available teams that are committed to moving up the right way and collecting the exit fees is a no brained.
However, that’s not what happened. UALR, UTA, Florida Gulf Coast, UConn and NMSU is what you’re getting.
Is that what you want?

Your first post and I like ya already! Gotta forgive Wiley, he is an OG from back in the reign of the Slappy. Most of us on here are jaded, disgruntled and believe our leadership is shit, which it is.

Long-time listener, first-time caller here, but BINGO. The sense of superiority by a select few here has me scratching my head. We're bad and, honestly, the MAC is a far better option than some reconfiguration of the C-USA. I have little-to-no faith that our current leadership can act on this opportunity, but it's an opportunity nonetheless and those guys won't be there forever.
Love that UserName, I am laughing my ass off!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT