ADVERTISEMENT

MAC talk

You just prove that little middle is more than alive and well. It will never end. Which is a culture I can no longer support.
You obviously missed the sarcasm dripping off that post. Sorry to say, by the way, that Little Middle is stuck here as long as we have M&M no matter what conference we’re in. At least in the MAC we might be able to win a bit more. Might.

Thanks Galo. Looking at the map shows how much we are outliers to this league and that alone demonstrates what I was saying before. I think I saw some posts talking about how travel would be better. And I’m like huh?

as I said previously only Ball State and Miami are less than seven hours. Ohio - maybe but by bus is seven to eight. Everything else is at least 10+ and will require flights. We had five opponents less than seven in current C-USA. Point being is the MAC will be worse than what we had before plus we won’t be playing in the south any longer which will cost us attention and visibility where we recruit.

You obviously missed the sarcasm dripping off that post. Sorry to say, by the way, that Little Middle is stuck here as long as we have M&M no matter what conference we’re in. At least in the MAC we might be able to win a bit more. Might.
Indeed, I did not catch that because you have been pro-MAC since the news emerged. My apologies.

One more thing. If there is any legitimacy of MT to the MAC it’s because ESPN wants it to finish off C-USA ensuring that CBS has one less property.

While I would personally prefer MT games to be back on ESPN, I don’t want to be an ESPN pawn. I want to move to be where we fit not be forced into a situation because of Disney executives. That’s just my personal perspective on it and I’m willing to take the risk to do it. Screw ESPN.

I think you have to Look forward not back. In the new CUSA our closest competition is 100 miles away.
WKU 100 miles 1:30mins
FIU 783 Miles 12 Hours
La Tech 571 Miles 8 hours
UTEP 1184 Miles 18 Hours 36 mins.

my point is what is the alternative

Thanks Galo. Looking at the map shows how much we are outliers to this league and that alone demonstrates what I was saying before. I think I saw some posts talking about how travel would be better. And I’m like huh?

as I said previously only Ball State and Miami are less than seven hours. Ohio - maybe but by bus is seven to eight. Everything else is at least 10+ and will require flights. We had five opponents less than seven in current C-USA. Point being is the MAC will be worse than what we had before plus we won’t be playing in the south any longer which will cost us attention and visibility where we recruit.

This isn't a debate between the MAC vs current CUSA. Current CUSA no longer exists.

This is the MAC vs CUSA with Connecticut, New Mexico, FIU, and likely 2-3 Texas teams and Mizzou State. That's not a southern conference, and that's not going to give us any visibility where we recruit.

At least prospective recruits and families will be able to find our games on ESPN rather than CBS-something or other.

Current CUSA no longer exists.

This isn't a debate between the MAC vs current CUSA.

This is the MAC vs CUSA with Connecticut, New Mexico, FIU, and likely 2-3 Texas teams and Mizzou State.
Has anyone seen Judy offer an invite to the schools above. The Miles still stand.

Yes, both the new CUSA whatever it turns out to be and the MAC are both not as ideal as the soon to be former CUSA. Wherever we end up, we will have to adapt and put our marbles into it.

Also, FWIW, in the 2020 class, 49 kids from "southern" states signed with MAC schools.

That's enough to fill 2 full classes.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
The northern schools have around 25% southern kids on their rosters

we have 95% southern kids on our roster

Also, FWIW, in the 2020 class, 49 kids from "southern" states signed with MAC schools.

That's enough to fill 2 full classes.
LMAO. Across 12 teams. Not sure what the point of that statement is. There is nothing analogous there that makes any sense.

Yeah, so a few teams up there can get as many as five or six guys from down south to their roster. What's going to happen to our roster when we're struggling to double those numbers to a dozen kids from Fla, Ala, GA combined.

We have over 20 from Florida alone right now. That won't happen anymore in the MAC.

Reactions: MIDTENN05
We're still a southern school. Being in the MAC does not negate recruiting here. Most of the games are in hot/warm weather. If a kid turns down MT because he may play 2-3 games in cold weather...see ya.

It blows my mind that some on here would prefer to stay in CUSA and play TARLETON STATE.

Tarleton State isn’t joining CUSA unless more members leave. If the current 5 stayed we would take much better options before them. You’re looking at only 1-2 FCS additions if the current 5 stay, and SHSU would be one of them. Other would be Mo St or Jacksonville St most likely.

The northern schools have around 25% southern kids on their rosters

we have 95% southern kids on our roster

What, you mean to tell me schools recruit primarily from the states they're located in?!?! NO WAY!!!

They could invite Uzebekestan U for all I care so long as the exit fees are paid in full.

This is a three or four year project to benefit us long term. If we could look out a few years and know that there were no other opportunities and everything is exhausted then I can see the benefit of going to the MAC. I just don't think realignment is over. But if we go to the MAC that's it. Our final resting place.

LMAO. Across 12 teams. Not sure what the point of that statement is. There is nothing analogous there that makes any sense.

Yeah, so a few teams up there can get as many as five or six guys from down south to their roster. What's going to happen to our roster when we're struggling to double those numbers to a dozen kids from Fla, Ala, GA combined.

We have over 20 from Florida alone right now. That won't happen anymore in the MAC.

You do realize that we won't be playing more than 2 games in the state of Florida of the entire course of a kids' 4 year career in the "new" CUSA?

The new CUSA has 1 Florida team - way the heck down in Miami. There are no more Georgia teams. No South Carolina teams. No North Carolina teams. No Mississippi. No Alabama. No Arkansas.

How the heck is the new "CUSA" more attractive to a kid in Georgia or Florida than the MAC?

They could invite Uzebekestan U for all I care so long as the exit fees are paid in full.

This is a three or four year project to benefit us long term. If we could look out a few years and know that there were no other opportunities and everything is exhausted then I can see the benefit of going to the MAC. I just don't think realignment is over. But if we go to the MAC that's it. Our final resting place.
I get that thought process, but I'm afraid we don't have that kind of time. Things are moving so quickly that opportunities will be lost. And there is nothing saying we cant move on in 5 years if we want. I think we can do well in the MAC. I've said it before, but I think its an opportunity (if its really there) to move to nice stable conference where we can build our brand without wondering who will be in the conference in a year.

Without a doubt, if we stay in the remnants of CUSA, thats the shakiest possible ground.

You do realize that we won't be playing more than 2 games in the state of Florida of the entire course of a kids' 4 year career in the "new" CUSA?

The new CUSA has 1 Florida team - way the heck down in Miami. There are no more Georgia teams. No South Carolina teams. No North Carolina teams. No Mississippi. No Alabama. No Arkansas.

How the heck is the new "CUSA" more attractive to a kid in Georgia or Florida than the MAC?
I think you are assuming the new CUSA will only be the remaining 5 along with NMSU, UCONN, and Liberty. I don't think that is something we can assume. There are a lot of rumors flying around, but there are viable options for FCS move ups in Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, and Texas. All good recruiting states. I don't think we can pass judgement on either choice until we know what both look like.

And there is nothing saying we cant move on in 5 years if we want. I think we can do well in the MAC.

If we join the MAC we are staying there. CUSA exit fee's + MAC entrance fee's will be costly, and the MAC returns the least amount of $$$$ to schools of any conference, hence why all their coaches are the lowest paid in FBS sports.

It will be never ending mediocre purgatory. A perfect fit for McPhee and Massaro.

If CUSA only adds Sam Houston and Mizz State, then it's not too bad. I would consider collecting the exit fee check, spend wisely with new coaches and facilities and 3-4 years try to move again to a different conference.

If CUSA is adding Tarleton State, Columbia State, University of Phoenix, then take off to the MAC. Maybe this opens recruiting to places like Ohio that have talent. And if we are on ESPN playing Tuesday night games, not so bad for recruiting.

No easy answer here, but we don't even know if we have options at this point.

I think you are assuming the new CUSA will only be the remaining 5 along with NMSU, UCONN, and Liberty. I don't think that is something we can assume. There are a lot of rumors flying around, but there are viable options for FCS move ups in Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, and Texas. All good recruiting states. I don't think we can pass judgement on either choice until we know what both look like.

Do we have the luxury of waiting to find out?

We know that NMSU/UCONN/Liberty all got calls, so it's safe to assume they're in. Then you got rumors that SHSU wants in. Then, you got room for maybe 1? Unless they go big, but then you're left with a bunch of FCS-blah.

The crappy CBS contract, which is as big a problem as anything we're facing, is going nowhere.

Plus, if you say "no thanks", whats to stop the MAC from calling WKU and UCONN and asking if they want in instead. Then, CUSA drops below 5, the conference collapses, and no one sees an exit fee dime. Then what?

It's something of a prisoner's dilemma. There's 2 seats left in the MAC lifeboat. If we don't grab one, we're left bobbing in the water hoping for a miracle.

Plus, I honestly believe that we are possibly the least attractive program of all the remaining CUSA teams. No amount of short term facility improvements are going to fix that. The AAC didn't call just because we don't have an IPF.

We have a dead athletic program, with no money, no support, and most of all - bad leadership. The only way forward is to find a way to survive until M&M&Stock are gone, then, maybe we can get some leaders with some vision and rebuild a fan base and athletic program. That, unfortunately, might take a decade. We have to figure out a way to survive until then.

The MAC offers a stable home, and frankly, that's what we need right now more than anything.

Sounds like the MAC thing is coming to fruition.

Rest assured that the MAC would not be publicly considering MT and WKU unless those schools have made it clear they would take the offer.

Now the only question is does CRS stick around to see through the transition.

There is minimal parity in the AAC, SBC and MAC now....that line drops wayyyy down to CUSA and more so if we leave. RaiderDoug is right, its a prisoners dilemma but we (still assumably) have the chance to make the first move.

I really really hope this happens.

Reactions: BRaiderDave

You continue to miss the point.

I'm looking at "new C-USA" as a short term stopgap (collecting the increased revenue along the way) until the Big 12's next moves create a new ripple. The MAC move is forever.

So, I could care less who is in that league in the short run. Our future is not going to be in a league called C-USA. It will be somewhere else. And if the MAC really wants us it will still be there in a few years if we have no other options.

We're still a southern school. Being in the MAC does not negate recruiting here. Most of the games are in hot/warm weather. If a kid turns down MT because he may play 2-3 games in cold weather...see ya.

It blows my mind that some on here would prefer to stay in CUSA and play TARLETON STATE.
Tons of players come out of Michigan and Ohio every year. Maybe they want to play in warmer weather and we can entice them to come here.

Sounds like the MAC thing is coming to fruition.

Rest assured that the MAC would not be publicly considering MT and WKU unless those schools have made it clear they would take the offer.

Now the only question is does CRS stick around to see through the transition.
Could be a win/win.

I’ve heard one of the biggest reason to head to the MAC from a WKU and MT perspective is the CUSA brass is having a hard time convincing FCS schools to come up and sign with the conference vs. waiting for other options.

McNeese is a huge target and they apparently prefer the WAC.

There is no confidence in CUSA leadership and if you stick here you might have your conference blown up again in a few years. There’s no stability.

I feel like I'm having the same debate with the same people about why McDevitt was a terrible basketball hire.

So, it would appear everyone made up their mind to go with the most middle thing we could do. Y'all have fun with that. Time to check out again. Cheers.

• Haha
Reactions: ewglenn
I do think there is merit in that if MT turned down MAC, then the MAC will just poach the next best CUSA team along with WKU. That just further dilutes CUSA and pushes up another program from a lower rank.

I don't see how the MAC would have to be a forever thing. I do think Massaro would again be lazy and not push to ever get out though.

Whatever way we go, I hope it's a 3-5 year plan and when the next round of reshuffling happens we already have a plan to make our case to at least get a look. Again another wakeup call right now for the program. Just like when CUSA took us, we were one of the last ones to get an offer. All these years later, it's the same thing we aren't controlling our own destiny. All goes back to poor leadership.

At some point Stock will be too old to coach. McFlea will want to pump his ego and either go elsewhere or ride off into the sunset. So our only hope for new leadership might be - time.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
I feel like I'm having the same debate with the same people about why McDevitt was a terrible basketball hire.

So, it would appear everyone made up their mind to go with the most middle thing we could do. Y'all have fun with that. Time to check out again. Cheers.

Whatever dude, bye!

Bye! See you back here soon lol

Reactions: MT Glenn
You continue to miss the point.

I'm looking at "new C-USA" as a short term stopgap (collecting the increased revenue along the way) until the Big 12's next moves create a new ripple. The MAC move is forever.

So, I could care less who is in that league in the short run. Our future is not going to be in a league called C-USA. It will be somewhere else. And if the MAC really wants us it will still be there in a few years if we have no other options.

I get that, I just don't see that as a viable strategy.

I believe that Memphis is not long for the AAC - the B12 is going to call them soon. Then the AAC has to backfill 1.

The odds of us being that 1 program in the condition where we're in is so slim that I don't even see it as a realistic possibility. We already know the Sunbelt views us as toxic. So where is the next move if we send the MAC to voicemail?

And here's a nightmare scenario for you:

I popped on over to the MAC board, and apparently WKU is inline for an invite, but they don't know who they want with them. There's some talk over UCONN and FIU as football only.

Could you imagine being stuck in the new CUSA without FIU or WKU?

Reactions: SpaceRaider
And here's a nightmare scenario for you:

I popped on over to the MAC board, and apparently WKU is inline for an invite, but they don't know who they want with them. There's some talk over UCONN and FIU as football only.

Could you imagine being stuck in the new CUSA without FIU or WKU?
They don't allow football only members. That's why they booted UMASS a few years ago.

It doesn't matter what any of us thinks as MT will do as THEY see fit. It's not a vote we can persuade anyone on. Us arguing to the point of being angry with each other like we have any say so is only so we can say, "I told you so" in the future which still doesn't matter. There's the way it should be, and the way things are with these conferences. I think I'm leaning MAC, but wherever we end up, I want a housecleaning and to compete for championships.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT