ADVERTISEMENT

Loyalty to the Program v. Loyalty to Your Future

Dec 13, 2016
https://middletennessee.rivals.com/news/hot-takes-with-hinners-12

My thoughts:

McCaffrey and Linwood have done enough for their school and program to do what they want when they want. This includes skipping a bowl game in preparation (or relaxation) for the NFL.

Fournette, on the other hand, I think is either legit injured or playing the card as to protect his draft status. Im not sure about you all, but he has DEPRESSED this season and REGRESSED as a running back. Maybe its the hype maybe its the injuries. Either way he should play b/c he's quit on LSU the entire season. (or maybe he's injured either... we'll never know)

Get your money young bucks and there are PLENTY of kids who will take your spot and give themselves a shot a lasting memory or maybe even a shot at the NFL based upon one game (Is Matt Flynn still employed)

So players can't sit out bowl games in preparation for their futures but yet coaches do and have been doing the same thing for years. Somebody explain to me how it is okay for Brohm not to coach WKU in their bowl game so he could prepare for his move to Purdue but it's not okay for FOurnette to skip LSU's bowl game to prepare for his future.

Reactions: bluefutcpa
The beautiful thing about America is that we have Freedom of choice. If someone doesn't want to play in a game then they don't have to.

I wonder how their less celebrated teammates feel about it. They've played a part of his success and now he abandons them in their final game of the season and in some cases their careers.

I don't like it one bit.

I understand the decision, especially after the kid from ND blew his knee, but don't like it.

The thing is, where does this stop. What would people have done if Fournette said "screw this, I'm moving the Cali to train for the NFL" when LSU lost to Auburn? Would people still be applauding?

I think there's something lost in the spirit of competition, and that is greater than the pretty small change a player gets injured in a final game, IMHO.

And to be honest, if I'm an NFL fan, I'm not too sure I trust these guys. Lets face it, if he's going to bail on his college team for 1 game, what's to stop said player from mailing it in once he gets his $$$'s? They clearly are not playing for love of the game.

Then again, I've never been in a position where I could potentially lose millions of dollars because of a little bad luck.

I don't like it one bit.

I understand the decision, especially after the kid from ND blew his knee, but don't like it.

The thing is, where does this stop. What would people have done if Fournette said "screw this, I'm moving the Cali to train for the NFL" when LSU lost to Auburn? Would people still be applauding?

I think there's something lost in the spirit of competition, and that is greater than the pretty small change a player gets injured in a final game, IMHO.

And to be honest, if I'm an NFL fan, I'm not too sure I trust these guys. Lets face it, if he's going to bail on his college team for 1 game, what's to stop said player from mailing it in once he gets his $$$'s? They clearly are not playing for love of the game.

Then again, I've never been in a position where I could potentially lose millions of dollars because of a little bad luck.
I don't blame the kid I blame the NFL for being cheap @$$e$ and using college football as their D League system. I blame these greedy @$$ P5 schools pesidents for chasing the $ and taking what was so pure about college football away. In a capitalistic society I don't blame a kid for trying to protect their biggest asset and cash in on their talent. Don't get me wrong I have mad respect for the kids that won't abandon their brothers, but I'm not mad at those who choose not to play in a bowl game that feels like a participation trophy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT