ADVERTISEMENT

less than 10k

I don't think us not giving money is the problem. There's not a whole lot of "us". That's the problem. The program has not been inclusive or synergistic let alone innovative in their approach to the community. It's broken. The Brand is broken, the outreach is broken, and the experience in broken as well. Until they address the real issues, everything will be a band aid on gun wound.

Can end thread right there. That’s it. Nothing more needs to be said except there is no accountability. Little middle culture is alive and well in the Boro.

I think it's very obvious from the season ticket and attendence count few care. At this point it's not a question of how much you give its do you give. I have until this year. I have had enough of this piss poor management and will not give a dime until the whole bunch are gone. If this were a private company we would be bankrupt, so call leaders fired years ago and probably indictments. If the numbers published here are not enough to get people fired then there is no hope. And if it doesn't change I'll just keep more of my hard earned money.

Three years ago on Blue Raider Zone, I tried to tell people it was coming to this and they banned me.

Wonder how many complaining about attendance have season tickets or actually show up for games? Kind of like people complaining about facilities...my question is how much have you given to BRAA to help out?

I'm just not interested in supporting this administration. I don't trust in McPhee, Massaro, or even Stockstill to be quite frank. Of the 3, I can live with Stockstill because I do think he's done a reasonable job considering the hand he has been dealt by this terrible athletic administration.

It's just time for Massaro to go. It's been time. As I get older, I really don't like to condone or push for people to lose their jobs, because it's a devastating thing to face, but he's made PLENTY of $$$$ in his time as our AD and he's had ample time to grow our programs. It's time to give someone else a chance, breath some new life into this program, try something different, etc.

It's absolutely ridiculous we've had the same AD and football coach for basically the last 15 years and the program is actually regressing. I understand CFB as a whole is having issues with butts in the seats but our lack of facilities upgrades is just astonishing. Basically nothing's changed in 15 years besides a new baseball stadium

"Basically nothing's changed in 15 years besides a new baseball stadium"

And even that was built on the cheap.

Reactions: Predarat
I still give to the BRAA to support the Basketball squad. I also buy season basketball tickets. I won’t give another dime related to football until Massaro is gone.

How bad does it have to get before Massaro goes? From what I understand, Blackburn wants to be our AD and many think he would do a better job.

So why not give the guy a shot? Not much else can go wrong......

How bad does it have to get before Massaro goes? From what I understand, Blackburn wants to be our AD and many think he would do a better job.

So why not give the guy a shot? Not much else can go wrong......
Because apparently no one can find him during the day, or so I’m told.

And we’d probably lose Rick Insell.

No. Wrong. Lack of people actually in the seats indicates every answer to every question you have about this issue. Fans, boosters, and supporters have already spoken.
Personally, I actually agree with you. I think the fans have spoken. Are speaking. They are speaking with their wallets. They are speaking with their time. And they have found that MT FB does not provide a good ROI.

My point with that post was to provide point / counterpoint for question.

Personally, I actually agree with you. I think the fans have spoken. Are speaking. They are speaking with their wallets. They are speaking with their time. And they have found that MT FB does not provide a good ROI.

My point with that post was to provide point / counterpoint for question.

Good copy. In other words. It’s a shit show.

Because apparently no one can find him during the day, or so I’m told.

And we’d probably lose Rick Insell.

FR
You lost me on this one or your talking in code. (Or probably I missed something)
No one can find who during the day ? CM or DB??
And...how would we possibly lose Insell if a change took place?
He in cahoots with someone on the board or don't get along with DB?

I do see a big issue with the CUSA championship attendance. We were 8-4 with two losses to to 25 SEC teams and a 7-1 record in conference. The one loss being FIU where Brent was hurt. For the most part we won the games we were expected to and hosted a conference championship. I think Massaro needs to go, but what could he have done to bring attendance up for the CUSA championship?

FR
You lost me on this one or your talking in code. (Or probably I missed something)

Not sure but I've heard there is 1 important, key person who is keeping Massaro in power. There's a lot of support for Blackburn but apparently this 1 person has enough power to keep Massaro around. Not sure if it's a board member, big donor, or both. But whoever this 1 person is, I would love to hear their explanation as to why they believe Massaro deserves to stay. I'm sure it's probably some personal/business related BS in favor of Massaro and/or against Blackburn. This person clearly is not interested in doing what's best for the university, which is sad. I wonder how bad it will have to get before change is made?

I can tell you this, I will not send a penny towards the athletic department until CM is gone. Not a penny.

I WILL pledge to buy season tickets once a new AD is hired and possibly join the BRAA.

Embarrassing. Flat out embarrassing.

Do people in charge, Massaro & McPhee, have any shame? If I were doing that bad of a job for that long, I would move on with my life. I would not stick around collecting a check while the thing I'm supposed to care about is being run into the ground.

In another thread just a few days before the attendance article, I posted this simple line:

"Massaro has gone ROAD...Retired On Active Duty."

Seems even more relevant in light of the abysmal attendance report.

This report in the local paper pretty much confirms what most of us have known for years. For at least several years, attendance, fan support, fan energy, enthusiasm, interest, etc etc has been swirling right down the toilet. Not only has it been bad, but it seems the people in authority over the program just don't even care enough to do much about it.

The program is in a terrible place. Posting comments on this thread trying to shame or enforce some standard of compliance in attendance and giving is not helping and is pretty much missing the whole point. People around here are the remaining few hardcore of the hardcore supporters of MT athletics. Each has their own way of dealing with the lousy and frustrating situation. More benefit would be gained from focusing on what us hardcore remaining fans can do in general to get some good people into positions of authority to return to a winning culture of excellence in football and the athletic dept.

So many people have already correctly posted in this thread just how broken football and the MT brand is as a whole. It's difficult to add much more to those thoughts. My summation is that the lack of energy specifically for MT football is almost palpable. It almost seems contagious. There is almost no feel of care or energy from Murphy Center or Cope for excellence and championships in football. What's worse is that those in position to make those changes just seem to do nothing and are impervious to what fans throughout the area are so clearly speaking.

For me personally I do not care as much about football. Football is not going to make our university a "national brand." In football we have literally 0% chance to make the playoff and win the national championship. We can win all of our games and we will still be left out. UCF is 2-1 in BCS/NY6 games and they still do not get enough respect to make the playoff. Why compete in a sport at a level where the system gives you 0% chance to win the championship?

For that reason I think basketball (men's and women's) and baseball are the sports we should really be focusing on. We are far away from competing at the highest levels in those sports, but if we make the tournament and win our games we are champions. At least in those sports if we win we are in. I think we would get more support locally if we were competing for FCS national championships in football than CUSA championships. I might be wrong and I am sure some on here would not agree with that. No way to really know.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
I do see a big issue with the CUSA championship attendance. We were 8-4 with two losses to to 25 SEC teams and a 7-1 record in conference. The one loss being FIU where Brent was hurt. For the most part we won the games we were expected to and hosted a conference championship. I think Massaro needs to go, but what could he have done to bring attendance up for the CUSA championship?

Nothing, not to be defending him, but the damage to fan support for this program has been done over many years, but really became severe with the last few seasons where in 2015, 2016, 2017, MT went 0-3 against vanderbilt and 0-3 against wku. Then you had the very first game of the season on the road against vanderbilt, a bad loss, which told fans all they needed to know about lay in store the rest of season. There was no reason to believe anything had changed with the football program to make them come out for ANY game. And just when they might have been able to change the narrative with the last two games, like has been with all Stockstill coached teams, they royally screw the pooch and lose both games, each in it's own spectacularly embarrassingly bad way. This football program and athletic department has lost credibility with the fans and changes have to be made to get it back. Call it negative or whatever, but that is the truth.

Embarrassing. Flat out embarrassing.

Do people in charge, Massaro & McPhee, have any shame? If I were doing that bad of a job for that long, I would move on with my life. I would not stick around collecting a check while the thing I'm supposed to care about is being run into the ground.
Move on with my life. That is exactly what I've done in regards to Middle Tennessee athletics.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
FR
Based on some things I was told, I don’t believe DB is the long term solution.

A few months back there was a FB thread regarding the scheduling of money games, making fewer home games the norm and relying on student activity fees. I think Massaro has already worked out the "math" for the next 3 - 5 years (which goes along with everyone's new contract and probably how long Stock wants to keep coaching). So any attendance issues, a few fussy fans not giving or buying season tickets will have little bearing on their ability to maintain the current state of things. Like many on this board I find it difficult to watch. Nothing is going to change until McPhee, Massaro and Stock retire. What's sad is they will collect generous compensation while the athletics department continues to decline. Offering nothing new and complaining about how difficult it is to be 6-6, 7-5 or bowl eligible. I also think we haven't seen the worst. Like others, I have made the decision not to support this group. I plan on resuming financial support when there are changes in leadership. There have been lots of great ideas suggested from this group over the years. Branding, logos, marketing, GDE, facility improvements and so on. So, I know things can change with the right leadership. I just hope it's not too long. Go Blue!

Not having any real media coverage hurts us badly. If we had any real media coverage, we would have reporters asking tough questions of McPhee, Masarro, and Stockstill. We would have editorials being written about the failures of this group and pushing for change. Unfortunately, we have no TV, radio or newspapers to apply that pressure. We are the red headed step child to the Nashville media so they are of little help.

A couple quotes from some North Texas fans from the CUSA Board discussing the raise their football coach received. 1.4 million per year. They have a brand new stadium and are really improving their facilities.

"I think the biggest influence on where North Texas is now, is the change in leadership in both the university and the athletic department. We are putting money into every aspect of our program".

"In the last five years the change in leadership in the BOR, President, and AD is the biggest reason for our athletic success now and in the future."

A few months back there was a FB thread regarding the scheduling of money games, making fewer home games the norm and relying on student activity fees. I think Massaro has already worked out the "math" for the next 3 - 5 years (which goes along with everyone's new contract and probably how long Stock wants to keep coaching). So any attendance issues, a few fussy fans not giving or buying season tickets will have little bearing on their ability to maintain the current state of things. Like many on this board I find it difficult to watch. Nothing is going to change until McPhee, Massaro and Stock retire. What's sad is they will collect generous compensation while the athletics department continues to decline. Offering nothing new and complaining about how difficult it is to be 6-6, 7-5 or bowl eligible. I also think we haven't seen the worst. Like others, I have made the decision not to support this group. I plan on resuming financial support when there are changes in leadership. There have been lots of great ideas suggested from this group over the years. Branding, logos, marketing, GDE, facility improvements and so on. So, I know things can change with the right leadership. I just hope it's not too long. Go Blue!

Bingo! You have nailed it! “They” have zero incentives to improve and zero consequences for mediocrity.

Reactions: BRaiderDave
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT