ADVERTISEMENT

Les Miles on his job...

I really like Les Miles. Maybe if he does get fired, he can use that buy out money to help buy out Stock and he can come to Mid Ten and coach.

I really like Les Miles. Maybe if he does get fired, he can use that buy out money to help buy out Stock and he can come to Mid Ten and coach.
And compete.........

Never happen because that is not what MT wants or needs apparently from the way things are going. They had rather have a coach that jumps up and down on the sideline throwing a temper tantrum and sending players packing or in another case saying it's just the next game on the schedule and acting like a dead fish on the sideline while he laughs all the way to the bank and don't care if they win or not (are that is the way he acts) because he has MT by the balls.

My thinking on this is: When is the last time a Middle Tennessee team has been in serious expectation of a football championship? My thinking was Troy-MT in 2006. Nine years ago is quite a long time since we have entertained serious championship ambitions. The Arkansas State game in 2012 qualifies technically. But we got soundly defeated (0-45) as an 8-4 team. ASU, I think was a favorite, maybe a clear favorite. As I recall, there wasn't a lot of community "buzz" behind that game. Political issues behind C-USA migration were in play, I'm sure, as regards to our missing out on the bowl. Seems as if core expectations is somewhere around 6-6 or 7-5 year in and year out--with an occasional 8-4 season viewed in high esteem. But, it sure doesn't rally alumni fan base and make the Murfreesboro community engaged, as evidenced with number of empty seats at the stadium. The visualization of kelly green in the east stands the last game should drive that point home clearly.

I just wish we could hear our coaches talk and deliver a championship run for the Blue Raiders. At least into mid November or surrounding around the last two-three games of the season. We seem to be seriously out of contention some thirty days earlier, or by the fifth or sixth game of the season.

I don't think I've ever really been one to point criticism towards AD Massaro, but I'm starting to wonder how much he is responsible for some of the seemingly settling for avg to just above avg football and mbb? The two high profile big money sports. I've typically reserved my criticism above the head coaches to the larger university vision problem exemplified in the university name. I'm starting to wonder if AD Massaro might have some responsibility here?

Observation on coaching:

Who are the coaches that get a lot of positive regard in the coaching and sports world? Some are liked. Some are respected. Some are hated. It seems that a lot of the coaches that receive a lot of the compliments and are liked a lot are the coaches that win a fair amount. They win enough to be called good, but they don't win enough to be threatening to the top of the line championship type coaches. It's easy to like the guy who can beat the other guy but not me. It's not so easy to like the guy who frequently beats you or dominates you.

Just a thought.

I don't think I've ever really been one to point criticism towards AD Massaro, but I'm starting to wonder how much he is responsible for some of the seemingly settling for avg to just above avg football and mbb? The two high profile big money sports. I've typically reserved my criticism above the head coaches to the larger university vision problem exemplified in the university name. I'm starting to wonder if AD Massaro might have some responsibility here?

Very fair point. Not squarely laying blame at CM at this point, yet. And things can be far worse from an administration, winning, and academics perspective. But, every now and then, Middle Tennessee athletics needs to represent its conference well in NCAA play. Largely, we have been silent in making a national run since going 1-A in football--save for one New Orleans Bowl win in FB and a handful of post season appearances in Kermit's career. Postseason MBB appearances have largely been one and done, except for the impressive NIT run in 2012 that's been notable. Baseball has struggled and volleyball has cooled off too. Its beginning to look more systemic from an expectation perspective if one steps back and looks at the last decade--Sun Belt and C-USA. It's not just the latest Murray State loss (we've been playing them on and off since about 1930 when we were a Teachers College); to balance that series (.500), it would take winning our for the rest of my lifetime playing yearly. Western is almost that under water for MBB. We need tradition of winning.

Think mission and vision, to say the least, has stagnated over last decade. Think a bold review of mission and vision should be done, at a minimum. We have to commit resources to finish first or second in C-USA and if not, look to coaches to fix in about a 2 year time frame and maintain a championship contending program with every graduating class (every 3-5 years). And if coaches or assistant athletic directors can't make progress in their respective programs, maybe its time to consider parting company with one or more coaches. It's a Jack Welch (Former GE Chairman) style of concept. Winning half the games, or slightly above should no longer be acceptable as a long term maintenance strategy and outcome. Championships gain fans which gains the financial resources to make MT better.

Reactions: dukewayne
Clyde, reflecting upon those thoughts, I also wonder if perhaps AD Massaro has done good in some areas with a weakness or two. Specifically, he seemed to have a positive impact on scheduling in the 2 big sports. He's seemed to do pretty good with facilities considering the type of resources and circumstances he's had to work with.

It seems a MT trend and possibly Massaro trend to be a little contract extension happy in the 2 big revenue sports. I'm also wondering if Massaro has that skill or knack for selecting head coaches who have just the right combo of skills and special touch to take the program to the next level. Massaro does seem to identify coaches who run a good and decent clean program on a positive note.

Clyde, reflecting upon those thoughts, I also wonder if perhaps AD Massaro has done good in some areas with a weakness or two. Specifically, he seemed to have a positive impact on scheduling in the 2 big sports. He's seemed to do pretty good with facilities considering the type of resources and circumstances he's had to work with.

It seems a MT trend and possibly Massaro trend to be a little contract extension happy in the 2 big revenue sports. I'm also wondering if Massaro has that skill or knack for selecting head coaches who have just the right combo of skills and special touch to take the program to the next level. Massaro does seem to identify coaches who run a good and decent clean program on a positive note.

Mr. Massaro has done a good job in many areas. No doubt about it with respect of basic administration and running an athletic department with integrity. The problem and opportunity is about growth. Growth of the fan base and growth of the corporate giving base. Murfreesboro is no sleepy college town anymore: with 125,000 (Coach Stock's estimate of 2014) or 120,954 based on the last certified census figure that I've seen. Folks, were a 100,000 residents larger than Murray, Kentucky these days! Sometimes, I think our University leadership and our city leadership operates a decade and a half behind...we still manage and respond like a 15,000 student university and a 70,000 city (until recently it was 10,000 and 30,000, respectively). I'm guilty of pining of the old days (1960's and 1970's sized Murfreesboro of 30,000 or so) as many long timers of Murfreesboro/Rutherford County, but we have to sell our product as well as the University of Alabama or the University of Tennessee or fill in the blank of whatever P5 school you choose. I'm not sure we can say that.

C-USA seems like the Sun Belt 2.0--a little better because of the past legacy of the Memphis, Cincinnati, East Carolina, and Tulsa's of the world. We still have to grow into this, which is probably 5-7 years away. Marketing and visibility is better than 2005 or for that matter 1995 or 1985. But, we are no longer newbies to FBS football and we have to raise our game to another level...and that is what is often lost in communicating expectation. Product on the field, court, and diamond is probably considered average with our peers...especially our new peers like ODU and Charlotte. Can't clearly say better due to the lack of recent championship and NCAA history. We have a lot of work to do if the goal and mission is championships and parity with other P5 leagues and the top tier of G5. Contract extensions seems to be given loosely, which is more bad than good at this point. Yes, its good to show commitment and stability to coaches, but when a program floats close to .500 in W & L, think we need to be thinking twice on how long we stay patient without requiring more accountability. It's delicate and difficult balance, but one we as a university have to get right to get our fan base and engagement to a top tier program.

Well, we could be UNT, FIU, FAU, UTEP or UTSA right now. If we are winning games more than losing or right on the edge, at least we are in the upper piece of this and not bottom feeding. We all want titles and to be the best. But we are playing for a bowl this weekend instead of dreading the game like the 5 teams I mentioned above. It could always be worse.

If we win 7 this season, the last 4 years we would be 29-22. If we win the bowl game, we're 30-22. You can say all you'd like but at this level, there's not a lot of teams that have sustained that.

Only WKU, Rice and us has had either a winning season or was bowl eligible all of the last 4 years in our entire conference. WKU is losing their core and their coach more than likely. Will they sustain the success? Probably not. LaTech is losing their all-star RB and Driskel with no one in the pipe. Gonna be tough for them to sustain. We have a lot to look forward to with the best pure passing QB we've ever had and one of the best receivers statistically so far. We have a slew of RB's in the pipe next year and more talent coming in at OL. On D, we have to rebuild but I think we will. Cutrer is a solid asset and we will go get a few JUCO's too. We'll be fine.

Marshall had a losing season in 2012
La Tech had a bad year in 2013 (4 win season)
UNT, one good year in 2013
USM, one good year this year
UAB, 6-6 last year and abysmal all of the others
FIU, uh yeah. TY Hilton ain't walking back through that door
FAU, 6-6 in 2013 with the party animal Carl Pelini
UTEP, last year but nothin else
UTSA, nope
ODU, they're gonna be 6-6 and were last year and their fans are ecstatic.
Charlotte, nope

So we can complain and yes, I did too after the LaTech game but if we win out, I also said I'd cut em some slack and there are a lot of teams that would trade places with us in a heartbeat. It can always be worse. We are 6 points from being 7-3 right now. We'll get there.

When we won 10 games in 2009, fans weren't exactly breaking their ankles to get into the stadium then. I'm starting not to give a crap about our fickle fanbase. I'm going to the game this weekend and that's all I care about. I couldn't care less about anyone else not going even though we're playing for a bowl game. Go watch UT choke vs. a Mizzou team playing for their coach with cancer or Vandy lose to A&M or Memphis choke for a 3rd time in a row vs. Temple. I couldn't give a crap.

Mr. Massaro has done a good job in many areas. No doubt about it with respect of basic administration and running an athletic department with integrity. The problem and opportunity is about growth. Growth of the fan base and growth of the corporate giving base. Murfreesboro is no sleepy college town anymore: with 125,000 (Coach Stock's estimate of 2014) or 120,954 based on the last certified census figure that I've seen. Folks, were a 100,000 residents larger than Murray, Kentucky these days! Sometimes, I think our University leadership and our city leadership operates a decade and a half behind...we still manage and respond like a 15,000 student university and a 70,000 city (until recently it was 10,000 and 30,000, respectively). I'm guilty of pining of the old days (1960's and 1970's sized Murfreesboro of 30,000 or so) as many long timers of Murfreesboro/Rutherford County, but we have to sell our product as well as the University of Alabama or the University of Tennessee or fill in the blank of whatever P5 school you choose. I'm not sure we can say that.

C-USA seems like the Sun Belt 2.0--a little better because of the past legacy of the Memphis, Cincinnati, East Carolina, and Tulsa's of the world. We still have to grow into this, which is probably 5-7 years away. Marketing and visibility is better than 2005 or for that matter 1995 or 1985. But, we are no longer newbies to FBS football and we have to raise our game to another level...and that is what is often lost in communicating expectation. Product on the field, court, and diamond is probably considered average with our peers...especially our new peers like ODU and Charlotte. Can't clearly say better due to the lack of recent championship and NCAA history. We have a lot of work to do if the goal and mission is championships and parity with other P5 leagues and the top tier of G5. Contract extensions seems to be given loosely, which is more bad than good at this point. Yes, its good to show commitment and stability to coaches, but when a program floats close to .500 in W & L, think we need to be thinking twice on how long we stay patient without requiring more accountability. It's delicate and difficult balance, but one we as a university have to get right to get our fan base and engagement to a top tier program.
You said something here that caught my attention and I think it is part of our problem as a university in terms of growth of our brand. Many in Rutherford county are still stuck in the 70's 80's and 90's lots of people in the this county seem to hate growth. I have some many in-laws and friends for here who often revel in the old Central High days and the whenit was only Riverdale/Oakland days. I know people who hate that we keep building new high schools and middle schools even though most of our schools are at capacity with more and more people continuing to move here. I see some of the same ways of thinking with our athletic department. Im not talking about wins and losses but strictly growing our brand. I personally don't have any solutions and I think we are making some progress but I think things could be a little better in that regard

Reactions: Raiderclyde
Well as I see it, most of you posters are typical of todays society;

Give me patience, right now!!!

D-winns

D-winns
I disagree, a lot of folks on this board have been engaged in this program since at least the early 2000s and probably longer for some. If they are still on board with the program I'd have to give them credit for having a ton of patience.

D-winns
Not really just been waiting for so long I've ran out of patience. Been supporting MT since 1969 when I came back from Nam and started to school. How long you been around supporting MT?
MT has been to the NCAA once since 1989. Sure Kermit went to the NCAA in 2013 in a First Four Matchup and got toasted. Sure D-wins sometimes if you have offense to go with it.

Your team is a lot like your family. Sure, they piss you off sometimes but you still love em. Sometimes, you might not even like them very much but you love em. You go through the good and the bad. That's part of it and it's not really that bad. Ask some UNT fans this weekend how bad it is for them. We could be in their shoes. From 2002-2005, we were. It will all be fine. Go Blue!

I disagree, a lot of folks on this board have been engaged in this program since at least the early 2000s and probably longer for some. If they are still on board with the program I'd have to give them credit for having a ton of patience.

Fully agree. Think our fans deserve quite a bit of credit for staying the course. Think many of us MT fans are pretty patient people. It's been twenty years since we announced our intention to the world of being FBS (or 1A as they called it then). Can't ask for too much more in the patience department from "Jack and Dianne fan". We've been playing FBS for 17 of those seasons. And that's just football. Men's basketball, we have danced in the NCAA's twice over 27 years. Other than track and field (thank you Dean Hayes!) and perhaps tennis, are we (or have we been recently) nationally competitive and relevant? That's a serious question that should be asked to our coaches and athletic heads. If not, how do we get there in half a decade or so? I've been watching MT sports since my childhood--almost 40 years. Have seen the good, bad, and ugly--it's not going to change my love and affinity for the university. But, we could be facing the UAB football question in a few years if our record turns a little more sour and the fan base drifts a little more sparse. Can't take fans and donors for granted--large or small.

Your team is a lot like your family. Sure, they piss you off sometimes but you still love em. Sometimes, you might not even like them very much but you love em. You go through the good and the bad. That's part of it and it's not really that bad. Ask some UNT fans this weekend how bad it is for them. We could be in their shoes. From 2002-2005, we were. It will all be fine. Go Blue!

From 2001-2005, what I remember was 26 consecutive Sun Belt Conference wins by NT and four Sun Belt Conference titles. Four bowl dates, one win. Later, NT won their 2013 bowl game as well. We are still under water as far as history wins: Eight wins for NT. Five wins for MT. Mean Green have a respectable history including a 1975 win over the University of Tennessee Vols. There shoes are respectable, just a bad year on the field. We are in very much need of Saturday's win, hopefully a shutout like Tennessee had last week.

I'd say by and large on a forum such as is, er, particularly this forum, it is the diehards typically with a lot of history with MTSU. I'm not sure it is really accurate to throw around the patience thing on the diehards. The people who currently don't care who aren't around nor go to games, maybe there is an argument. Those people certainly aren't here on this forum.

I'm one of the transplants that is a part of the rapid growth of Murfreesboro. I never knew the sleepy little southern small college town. Frankly in FBS and C-USA, the vision really needs to focus on the growth and dynamic growth of the largest suburb of a major US city. For folks originally around Murfreesboro, I respect the positive memories and tradition of "the good ole days." To fill the 30,000 seat stadium and be attractive to national tv broadcasts, The newer dynamic growing city of a vibrant university is important. But I digress on the lack of vision problem with leadership. I'm clearly not knocking the affinity for the old days and the good memories. I respect that. I am saying that to attract fans in today's modern environment, an approach and attitude addressing the current realities are important. Building upon the successful traditions of the past can be a vastly useful resource in building the program.

The low hanging fruit in filling 30,000 seats lies in the students. If the students don't go to games as students, they aren't going as alumni. Grow the city all you want but therein lies the rub. I cannot say that it is the same now but when I was on campus in early 2000s, on campus promotion of the athletics programs was non existent.

Reactions: C-Bow
The best promotion is WINNING. People love winning.

People hate losing and people lose interest with mediocrity no matter how many promotions you throw at them.

Get in top 25 and attendance will boom.

Reactions: C-Bow
From 2001-2005, what I remember was 26 consecutive Sun Belt Conference wins by NT and four Sun Belt Conference titles. Four bowl dates, one win. Later, NT won their 2013 bowl game as well. We are still under water as far as history wins: Eight wins for NT. Five wins for MT. Mean Green have a respectable history including a 1975 win over the University of Tennessee Vols. There shoes are respectable, just a bad year on the field. We are in very much need of Saturday's win, hopefully a shutout like Tennessee had last week.
The same guy who won those 4 SunBelt titles for UNT and was 4x SunBelt Coach of the Year now calls the offensive plays for Memphis. Who did we get?

I think you and MTLynn are spot on. BlueRaiderJT posted about our wins and losses verses the fact that we aren't the bottom of the barrel but I would say that our position is no better than being a bottom feeder. In fact, it is possibly worse. You can blame the fan base all you want, which to a certain degree it stinks, but we are killing interest with these boring seasons. My interest in the sports programs is about as big as Semi Pro basketball. I just like talking with you guys. I want it to get better. My degree doesn't have University of Rick Stockstill. It has Middle Tennessee State University.

Obviously, a top 25 ranking will get attendance booming. But, don't think we have to even get that far. A C-USA championship or being in the running deep in November would work too. As long as MT wins the games that we are supposed to win. We always have at least one terrible loss a year; either an upset like a SEMO or McNeese, blown games (two this year) where we find a way to lose at the end; or blowout losses (LA Tech and Western this year). Some of us are tired year after year of getting our hopes up of a promising season only to find ourselves being forced to win out for a winning season. A NT or UTSA loss will result in a blown season at 6-6 that cannot be redeemed. Even with a bowl win at 7-6 against a Sun Belt or MAC team. Bowl eligible, but blown nevertheless. Have to win out for 2015 to see any type of success.

Last edited:
So the bottom half is 2nd in the east and 4th overall assuming Marshall loses to WKU? Again, if you just want to b!tch and moan, go ahead but their are plenty of teams that aren't winning at all.

I remember when we were averaging 3.5 wins a season, trust me, this is better. I don't get this "we gotta change" B.S. when we obviously can't fire the HC and even if we did, who would we get and keep longer than 2 seasons?

So what if we win out? Well, the teams we play suck and so do we. Then if we lose the next 2? Then we suck and fire everybody. Sounds like even if we won out and a bowl, there's no pleasing you guys. Why be a fan? I don't worry about what I can't control. People don't come out to see us no matter how well we are doing. We are in the backyard of the SEC and the NFL. If you aren't in a P5 conference, no one is gonna care here. Marshall has great attendance because what the hell else is there to do in Huntington? LaTech, same diff. WKU? They are great this year. They'll be depleted next year and it's easy to appear awesome there because their stadium is the size of Antioch High School's. ODU is the same. Who else in this conference is killing it?

Just get your tail to JRF tomorrow and bolt up or stop complaining about nothing.

Last edited:
The low hanging fruit in filling 30,000 seats lies in the students. If the students don't go to games as students, they aren't going as alumni. Grow the city all you want but therein lies the rub. I cannot say that it is the same now but when I was on campus in early 2000s, on campus promotion of the athletics programs was non existent.

I was primarily referring to Clyde's comments if you were in fact referencing my points. Clearly, I think it takes lots of consistent wins, bowls wins, conf championships etc to significantly boost attendance. At that point of buzz and increased media buzz, most casual fans from students, alumni, and the community will want to be at the place to be, the big game that weekend.

My above comments were specifically referencing those fans/alums who have fond memories of MTSU football from way back in the 1AA days when M'boro was still small. While pointing out the respect for people's positive memories and possible traditions around MTSU, I was asserting that in this day and age those past days are likely not the environment that will sell games out. It is current and future success that will bring people out. A bunch of success will make MTSU fans out of a bunch of transplants, students, and alumni. If MTSU can sustain winning and championship caliber play, people who currently have nothing to do with MTSU sports will suddenly be boasting that they were MTSU fans long before MTSU became so successful.

Just win baby!! Problems will begin to solve themselves.

Reactions: Raiderclyde
JT,

I concede there are some out there who there is no pleasing. I think there are more than a few who would and could be reasonably pleased with good success. I do happen to agree with others who assert that beating the 2 worst teams in the conference is not going to do much in bolstering support and attendance. Of course, I'll be glad if MT plays well and wins. I think as others have stated, winning a bowl game in addition to the 2 final reg season games is likely what is required to boost confidence in even some of the most attentive and supportive of fans and alumni. Make no mistake, winning out this season and even a bowl win will not produce huge crowds next season. I firmly believe it will take at least a couple of seasons of sustained good success to regain enough interest to where crowds start returning.

Due to the contract situation, I also think coach stock is not going anywhere anytime soon regardless. The upside, Brent Stockstill just might be the best QB I've seen in my 20 years of watching MTSU football. I just hope coach stock can continue to build around him to get MTSU to a C-USA championship in the next year or two. Then attendance might see some real growth. To help the cause of boosting attendance and support would be winning some of those OOC games vs P5 teams. Home losses to teams MTSU is heavily favored against will kill support and attendance. If MTSU can get that kind of winning over the next two years with bowl wins and a conf championship, I suspect that attendance will likely begin to significantly improve. To say people won't come out to MTSU games regardless I believe is inaccurate. It is accurate if MTSU continues to play mediocre ball.

Right now, the sorry attendance points loudly and clearly to a problem in the program. I think it both logical and reasonable that people who care about MTSU athletics will point out and call the obvious problems. It takes years of mediocrity and ugly disappointing losses to run off the crowds, it will likewise take at least a couple of years of good success and big wins to get crowds to return. It won't happen with just a 2 or 3 game win streak. Unless those wins were vs OOC Top 25 teams. That just might garner a lot of attention and attendance.

I just don't care who shows up or not. I'm a Blue Raider fan. I'm there. They are a lot more fun to watch than the Titans.

It's a hell of a value and we are 4-1 at home this year. I'm just tired of all the other B.S. It's lame to be mad at a team for going to a bowl game or possibly being 8-5. Wait til we go 3-9 or 1-11 before we lose our minds.

People called Stock a .500 coach but in the last 4 years, he could end up being +8. That ain't .500. Again, the naysayers say that ain't good enough. What the hell is? Winning championships all of the time? You gotta understand that in the last 3 years of us being in CUSA, we will have 3 different champions including a Rice team that is barely hanging on now. WKU won't sustain it and neither will LaTech. Parity is everywhere and our turn is coming. No one is killing it on a consistent basis.

Brent, James, Tucker, Herrod, Mathers, Cutrer, Bruce, and others are plenty of reasons to believe that we are on the rise. Recruiting has been better and will continue to improve. We already have some solid components. We aren't exactly a dumpster fire. SMH.

Reactions: MT Glenn
JT, I do respect and appreciate your personal attitude. You don't sweat the rest and you enjoy the games. Can't really knock you for that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT