ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Personnel, or lack of -

MTFNBY5

Hall of Famer
Jul 26, 2005
It's not McDevitt's fault that we lost a great senior class with one player who just may be the fan's all time favorite (younger fans especially).
While we wish McDevitt could have held on to some of the signed class we can't blame him.
I don't know the details but based on posters inside information McDevitt had no choice in dismissing Johnson and Tree.
McDevitt is quite possibly not the reason Dixon chose to transfer and Shelton-Szmidt decided on the Priesthood (whatever?). - coaching style could have played a role.
Injuries are part of the game and Crump's injury and Butler's concussion after non-athletic related surgery just happened - no one's fault.
And Massingburg not being able to play significant minutes is on . . .

Regardless, we are down to seven serviceable scholarship players when virtually all teams today go 9 or 10 deep or more.

What is being done to alleviate the pressure on these seven players?

Are we playing a style to shorten games and keep players fresh? Hell no, and that's apparently on McDevitt although quite possibly that's either all he knows or perhaps we have such poor ball handlers and passers that he believes we can't walk the ball up the floor, work the clock, and take a shot late in the shotclock without making mistakes. In his introductory presser he stated he wants to go 100 miles an hour but if the players prove we can't he would adjust. What does turnover after turnover show? What does running out of gas in game after game show? Isn't it time to adjust?
Are we doing anything presently to get through the year? Are there not some ex-high school players on campus who are better than our present walk-ons who could be found and contribute? Have we scoured the athletes in other sports in search of help (not unprecedented but something MT doesn't do to my satisfaction - see WKU's track team makeup). Gotta be some of them who were two sport stars in high school.

And on to kingaling42's comment in another thread: ". . .the 2 best players on the roster beat up on these same "starters" each day in practice . . ."

Please, with all due respect we've seen that dog bark before time after time from insiders, the media, and the coaches themselves (haven't heard it from McDevitt, yet). The player(s) being re-shirted are always the best players on the practice floor. Other than Dendy most of these "can't miss, immediate starter, all-conference potential" players over the last 50 years become just another squad member. I hope that Dishman and Jones are the real deal and that kingaling42's (along with abarnett's) optimism is warranted on each of them, and additionally with the three signees. I really hope so!

We are playing pretty slow...we rarely get a shot off in the first 15 seconds of the clock, when we busted the press we are NOT attaching - When this happened 3 or 4 trips in a row with our Post players shooting jumpers - CNM wasn't happy. He discussed this in the post game interview. They literally discuss a play to be run out of a timeout with goal of making the FAU post player to have to cover sideline to sideline and the player literally fired a jumper within 5 seconds (post player never had to move)- this was opposite of what they planed...

I feel like you and others are simply not watching the same game I am...

Here is what we know
- We play hard and the evidence is rebounding much bigger teams
- We have ONE good outside shooter, just one; we simply are not gifted offensively.
- We are turnover prone...I can't pin point it; its a lack of focus I think in many games late they are simple tired. Just last night our PG (Sims) had more turnovers than assists and this is constant theme. But its not him, its all of them at different times. And yet the play good defense and rebound so its not an effort issue.
- We are young
- We have 8 scholarship players that dress and NONE of them have played serious minutes until this year. And one of these seven - Massenburg (Kermit recruit) is a complete bust.
- Possible low BB IQ guys...look the MO is out on us, if we get a lead you press, both FIU and FAU did this when they were behind. Our guys will figure it out.

Some of you are calling this a coaching problem - sorry, but that is the laziest answer and easy to say on a message board. At the games, you see ALL the coaches active, and interacting with the players. CNM has been VERY animated this last home stand. As far as the two that cant' play, if they could fill 5-6 mins right now that would be huge and we most likely win the last two game.

Its obvious this will be a long year...I am rooting hard for this team - they are giving max physical effort, I am finding them easy to cheer for.

You know what, I'm gonna back off. We'll table this discussion for the same time next year and then we'll see. Y'all know how I feel but I'm gonna let it go. I think the 3 win total at the end of this season and a miss at our own conference tourney is eminent but let's talk CMD next year. I do think he had something to do with some of this and Massaro could have made an effort with Grensing who recruited these dudes that we had set to come here and the players that bolted but that is neither here nor there.

Same time next year on this matter for me. I'm done with it.

I do not believe Grensing recruited any of the 2018 recruiting class. Pretty sure the two assistants that did the recruiting of them followed Kermit to Ole Miss. No guarantee Grensing keeps them either. Short-term Grensing maybe would have been a better hire. Not sure that is the case in the long-term. I also wanted Grensing to get it, but it is too soon to judge this hire. I know all of you will and next year or the year after you will be proven right or wrong. If we are 1-11 vs. D1 competition this time next year then I will agree. If we are 6-6 or so I will not. I think we will see vast improvement next year. Our starting backcourt could be Sims, Jones, and Green. Frontcourt is a concern as right now I would say our starters would be Dishman and Scurry who are both 6'6". Of course for the remainder of this year some of us will say McDevitt is the problem and the wrong hire and others will say it is too early to tell.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
We are going to need Tyson Jackson to be able to contribute early next year in order to have any semblance of inside depth, either that or another signee (although we don't have room at this time).

Does anyone have a report on how our three signees are doing so far this year?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT